Fake goods on Amazon
2018-08-18 11:41:19 UTC
I ordered a Sandisk USB stick, 128gb from Amazon at a very competitive
price of 21.99. The seller's name was
hihuafengxiongmeishangmaoyouxiangongsi

and he/it was described as a new seller with no reviews, based in China.

The item arrived today and I decided it must be a counterfeit product.
There was no Sandisk software on it, and it was a very tight fit and
required some effort to insert it into a USB socket.

I decided not to simply return it for a refund, so I used Amazon Chat to
talk to a member of Amazon staff in real time, and the staff member was
helpful and issued me with a return label, said that they do have staff
who examine counterfeit items, and gave me an extra 5 pound credit. The
seller has been "reported". I haven't checked but I hope the item is no
longer available on Amazon.

So I'm reasonably satisfied with Amazon and I suppose they can't examine
all the goods they sell to check whether they are genuine.

That just leaves the question: do you buy cheap goods on Amazon and do
you have any method for spotting suspicious fake items? Or do you think
that so long as the item works, you aren't bothered? Lots of people say
that the only way to avoid fake Sandisk products is to buy from an
authorised retailer. That's fine, so long as you don't mind paying twice
the price.
Omega
2018-08-18 13:01:40 UTC
[...]
Whenever I buy flash sticks or SD cards I use this piece of Windows OS
software to test them.

Google H2testW and download it, extremely simple piece of kit and will
'write and verify' your new storage. I would imagine a 128 gig stick
take perhaps an hour or more to test but it will let you know if fake or
not. To remove the written storage simply format it again.

In the time I have used the software I discovered just one fake SD from
eBay. The seller was livid to discover the 'punters' could now test
their purchases.

I'm not absolutely sure a tight fit USB stick would make it fake as some
of mine are a fairly tight fit but passed the H2testW test.

I must agree with you, do we really want to pay twice the price from an
authorised dealer when so easy to decipher fake from real?

Good luck.

omega
BurfordTJustice
2018-08-19 00:14:46 UTC
Post by Omega
Post by The Todal
[...]
The tight fit was a surprisingly tight fit. I suppose it could have been
a manufacturing error. Moreover I read in several forums that Sandisk
USB sticks always have their security software on the stick (presumably
to password protect the contents of the stick if required), and that it
will only run on genuine Sandisk sticks. Is that not necessarily
reliable advice?

I had an interesting message from Amazon saying that my refund has
already been processed even though I only posted the item back to Amazon
today and it presumably won't get there till Monday or Tuesday. I wonder
if they have had other complaints.
Jethro_uk
2018-08-19 09:03:57 UTC
Post by Omega
Post by The Todal
[...]
IME Amazon are ****-hot at refunds and returns. It's one of the reasons
I'd rather pay a touch more from them, than risk a lower price from an
untested new vendor.

They've seen me right since 1997 is all I can say.

Pamela
2018-08-18 13:18:17 UTC
[...]
I can end up repeatedly buying a counterfeit from different vendors on
Amazon and report it each time but they don't do anything except give
me a refund.

A prompt refund is not the same as getting the goods I want.
tim...
2018-08-18 14:51:31 UTC
I ordered a Sandisk USB stick, 128gb from Amazon at a very competitive
price of 21.99. The seller's name was
hihuafengxiongmeishangmaoyouxiangongsi
and he/it was described as a new seller with no reviews, based in China.
I bought a Sandisk micro SD card from a seller with a Chinese name, at a
lower than expected price.

I recall that they had reasonable feedback from a reasonable number of sales

when it arrived it was CFU, only block one worked.

I complained and was offered an immediate refund with no need to return the
product

I suspect that this product was counterfeit because I can't believe that a
genuine product would have got out of the factor CFU.

And I further suspect that the reseller just took refunds like mine on the
chin because (I guess) 90% of what he shipped was accepted without
complaint.

ICBA to leave negative feedback - just what would be my complaint. I can't
prove that the item was counterfeit, only my professional experience of
working with NAND devices helped me come to this conclusion and the seller
refunded my money - what's the problem?
Post by The Todal
That just leaves the question: do you buy cheap goods on Amazon and do you
have any method for spotting suspicious fake items? Or do you think that
so long as the item works, you aren't bothered? Lots of people say that
the only way to avoid fake Sandisk products is to buy from an authorised
retailer. That's fine, so long as you don't mind paying twice the price.
Yup

I wanted a 32GB because I recall that the limit that my tablet will work
with was 32GB. I think that Android have increased this, but I have nothing
that tells me with any certainty and I didn't want to find out the hard way.

I was happy to buy in a shop if the price was right.

20 pound (and pennies) for a 64GB is (was) easily achievable from respected
retailers, but the 32GB are (were) 19 pounds.

Eh why are they 10/11/12 pounds?

So I went online, and found this one for 6.

tim
Dan S. MacAbre
2018-08-18 15:43:48 UTC
[...]
Twice the price probably = the correct price :-) I only buy from
sellers with loads of good feedback, and haven't been disappointed yet.
Shitsack Moishe Goldberg
2018-08-18 15:50:17 UTC
In article <***@mid.individual.net>, ***@icloud.com
says...
Post by The Todal
[...]
All the goods "they" sell? Anyone can sell on the Amazon platform.
They are just a host, like eBay.
The Peeler
2018-08-18 17:43:41 UTC
On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 08:50:17 -0700, serbian bitch Razovic, the resident
Post by Shitsack Moishe Goldberg
Post by The Todal
So I'm reasonably satisfied with Amazon and I suppose they can't examine
all the goods they sell to check whether they are genuine.
All the goods "they" sell? Anyone can sell on the Amazon platform.
They are just a host, like eBay.
Not shit, Shitsack! <BG>
pensive hamster
2018-08-18 18:04:05 UTC
the_todalsays...
Post by The Todal
[...]
Yebbut Amazon do sell some items themselves. The items
which are stated to be "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon".

As distinct from items which are stated to be, for example,
"Dispatched from China."
Shitsack Moishe Goldberg
2018-08-18 19:07:35 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
the_todalsays...
Post by The Todal
[...]
Quite so. And these arrive in an Amazon box.
Post by pensive hamster
As distinct from items which are stated to be, for example,
"Dispatched from China."
Amazon tend to stand behind what their various sellers sell somewhat
better than eBay do. Some of the feedback, though, is WAY below what
you'd ever see on eBay.
The Peeler
2018-08-18 20:36:23 UTC
On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 12:07:35 -0700, serbian bitch Razovic, the resident
Post by pensive hamster
As distinct from items which are stated to be, for example,
"Dispatched from China."
Amazon tend to stand behind what their various sellers sell somewhat
better than eBay do. Some of the feedback, though, is WAY below what
you'd ever see on eBay.
Well you can't give any feedbacks there talking about men's genitals, arses
and shit, dreckserb Razovic! Or did you try to do so already?
--
Dumb anal serb peasant Goran Razovic and her "Latin" she learned from her
limey priests:
2018-08-19 00:09:15 UTC
Post by Shitsack Moishe Goldberg
Post by pensive hamster
the_todalsays...
Post by The Todal
[...]
As did mine. Next day, too. So it wasn't sent all the way from China in
one day - I suppose the stock must have been from an Amazon warehouse.
you'd ever see on eBay.
Tim Woodall
2018-08-19 08:01:14 UTC
Post by Shitsack Moishe Goldberg
Post by pensive hamster
the_todalsays...
Post by The Todal
[...]
Apparently, Amazon consider the goods they hold to do fulfilment as
fungible.

So when you buy part AX1654-44-EU from seller A, amazon might ship you
the identical part that was supplied to them by seller B.

But this means you might get a genuine part from a counterfeit seller,
or a counterfeit part from a reputable seller.

There has been some interesting comment on revk's blog around this and
other issues related to product bar codes recently.
BurfordTJustice