Branson warnes
R. Mark Clayton
2019-07-11 09:43:09 UTC
The popular and self made billionaire Richard Branson has warned that a no deal Brexit could see the pound at par with the dollar and Virgin largely pull out of the UK.

https://www.cityam.com/sterling-could-hit-dollar-parity-in-no-deal-brexit-branson-warns/

no doubt some some Brextreme, widely despised, unsuccessful miser will be along to say it is just part of project fear...
Incubus
2019-07-11 10:19:54 UTC
Post by R. Mark Clayton
The popular and self made billionaire Richard Branson has warned that a no deal Brexit could see the pound at par with the dollar and Virgin largely pull out of the UK.
https://www.cityam.com/sterling-could-hit-dollar-parity-in-no-deal-brexit-branson-warns/
no doubt some some Brextreme, widely despised, unsuccessful miser will be along to say it is just part of project fear...
Is that the same Richard Branson who sued the NHS for millions when it didn't
award Virgin Care yet another contract? He wasn't too popular then. In fact,
I'm not sure where you get the idea that the more "popular" or successful
someone is, the more influence they should have over our democracy. That's
something I'd expect of over-privileged high school students for whom
everything is a popularity contest.

As for the value of the pound, a lower pound also attracts investment and the
economic downturn he cites has been far worse in the rest of the EU.

I think we can be sure that Branson's reasons for wanting us to remain in the
EU are ones that suit Branson and are nothing to do with benefiting Britain.
It seems to me that if he were to pull out of Britain, the NHS would most
likely be much better off.

Of course, you don't have to listen to me; no doubt I'm one of the despised,
unsuccessful misers to whom you have closed your mind. At least I contribute
to the NHS, though.
Dan S. MacAbre
Branson Warnes sounds like an estate agent, or something.
tim...
2019-07-11 12:10:07 UTC
Post by R. Mark Clayton
The popular and self made billionaire Richard Branson has warned that a
no deal Brexit could see the pound at par with the dollar and Virgin
largely pull out of the UK.
https://www.cityam.com/sterling-could-hit-dollar-parity-in-no-deal-brexit-branson-warns/
no doubt some some Brextreme, widely despised, unsuccessful miser will be
along to say it is just part of project fear...
as he is such this brilliant sage

can have next week's lottery numbers please

tim
R. Mark Clayton
2019-07-12 14:30:36 UTC
Post by Incubus
Post by R. Mark Clayton
[...]
That's odd the EU has done ~3% better than the UK since the referendum - before of course it used to do better.
Post by Incubus
I think we can be sure that Branson's reasons for wanting us to remain in the
EU are ones that suit Branson and are nothing to do with benefiting Britain.
They suit just about every business and worker, which is why the CBI, IoD, BCC, FSB and TUC (et.c) have all said very similar things.
Post by Incubus
It seems to me that if he were to pull out of Britain, the NHS would most
likely be much better off.
??
Net?
Incubus
2019-07-12 15:28:25 UTC
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by Incubus
Post by R. Mark Clayton
[...]
Not according to official statistics. Discussion here:

http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=41343
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by Incubus
I think we can be sure that Branson's reasons for wanting us to remain in the
EU are ones that suit Branson and are nothing to do with benefiting Britain.
They suit just about every business and worker, which is why the CBI, IoD, BCC, FSB and TUC (et.c) have all said very similar things.
So why have wages dropped in real terms in Britain since ratification of the
Lisbon Treaty? Why is the cost of housing so enormously high since
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by Incubus
It seems to me that if he were to pull out of Britain, the NHS would most
likely be much better off.
??
He sued them for millions for not awarding Virgin Care yet another NHS
contract. Richard Branson really cares about Britain, you see. He really
cares about the taxpayer. It's touching how much he cares. That's why he
keeps telling us how we should have voted. It's nothing to do with
self-interest.
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by Incubus
Of course, you don't have to listen to me; no doubt I'm one of the despised,
unsuccessful misers to whom you have closed your mind. At least I contribute
to the NHS, though.
Net?
I'd have to calculate that and being a non-smoker I don't have a fag packet at
hand. I do earn above the average salary, though, and I haven't siphoned
millions off the NHS, so I think they are quids in when I am concerned.
Tim Jackson
2019-07-12 20:18:55 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 15:28:25 -0000 (UTC), Incubus wrote...
Post by Incubus
Post by R. Mark Clayton
That's odd the EU has done ~3% better than the UK since the referendum - before of course it used to do better.
http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=41343
That page seems to have chosen a specific narrow but relatively
favourable period (three months to November 2018).

It quotes and links to an economics writer:

"Judged by what is happening in the rest of Europe, Britain’s
economic performance in late 2018 was reasonably good ....

But:

The real problem is that growth is both modest and unbalanced.
Manufacturing is struggling ... The trade deficit is widening
... Such growth as there is is heavily reliant on the willingness
of consumers to spend."

<end quote>

Of course there are lies, damned lies and statistics. If you looked
over a less selective period, you could probably produce figures that
suited any way you wanted to tell it.

For example: https://tinyurl.com/y297ewz7

This leads to a World Bank comparative graph, which I chose to tell a
different story.
--
Tim Jackson
***@timjackson.invalid
(Change '.invalid' to '.plus.com' to reply direct)
tim...
2019-07-13 09:06:26 UTC
Post by Incubus
Post by R. Mark Clayton
That's odd the EU has done ~3% better than the UK since the
referendum - before of course it used to do better.
http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=41343
That page seems to have chosen a specific narrow but relatively
favourable period (three months to November 2018).
which is EXACTLY what Clayton does when he come here and posts the opposite

what's sauce for the goose ...

tim
R. Mark Clayton
2019-07-13 12:41:11 UTC
Post by Incubus
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by Incubus
Post by R. Mark Clayton
[...]
A month, how about World Bank figures over several years?

Growth % EU UK Delta
2010 2.086 1.711 -0.375
2011 1.755 1.645 -0.110
2012 -0.396 1.447 +1.843
2013 0.297 2.046 +1.749 UK outperforms EU
2014 1.784 2.948 +1.164
2015 2.349 2.349 0
2016 2.027 1.789 -0.238 H1 + H2 -
2017 2.042 1.823 -0.219 EU outperforms UK
2018 1.998 1.398 -0.600

Eurostat and ONS

2019 so far up flat

"The European economy is forecast to continue expanding for the seventh year in a row in 2019, with real GDP expected to grow in all EU Member States. " EU

UK is likely to enter recession.
Post by Incubus
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by Incubus
I think we can be sure that Branson's reasons for wanting us to remain in the
EU are ones that suit Branson and are nothing to do with benefiting Britain.
They suit just about every business and worker, which is why the CBI, IoD, BCC, FSB and TUC (et.c) have all said very similar things.
So why have wages dropped in real terms in Britain since ratification of the
Lisbon Treaty?
Crash, austerity.
Post by Incubus
Why is the cost of housing so enormously high since
ratification of the Lisbon Treaty?
Base rate reduced below 1% since before the Lisbon Treaty even came into force AND prices were already high before 2009.
Post by Incubus
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by Incubus
It seems to me that if he were to pull out of Britain, the NHS would most
likely be much better off.
??
He sued them for millions for not awarding Virgin Care yet another NHS
contract. Richard Branson really cares about Britain, you see. He really
cares about the taxpayer. It's touching how much he cares. That's why he
keeps telling us how we should have voted. It's nothing to do with
self-interest.
I suppose he is another of those ex-pat billionaires - like Dyson.
Likewise - thankfully apart from a dodgy knee I have been pretty healthy :-)
Norman Wells
2019-07-13 20:23:21 UTC
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by Incubus
Post by R. Mark Clayton
That's odd the EU has done ~3% better than the UK since the referendum - before of course it used to do better.
http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=41343
A month, how about World Bank figures over several years?
Growth % EU UK Delta
2010 2.086 1.711 -0.375
2011 1.755 1.645 -0.110
2012 -0.396 1.447 +1.843
2013 0.297 2.046 +1.749 UK outperforms EU
2014 1.784 2.948 +1.164
2015 2.349 2.349 0
2016 2.027 1.789 -0.238 H1 + H2 -
2017 2.042 1.823 -0.219 EU outperforms UK
2018 1.998 1.398 -0.600
Eurostat and ONS
2019 so far up flat
"The European economy is forecast to continue expanding for the seventh year in a row in 2019,
The above figures actually show continuous growth in the UK for at least
nine years and possibly more. Not just since 2013 as in the EU, but
since at least 2010.

It pays to read what you cite, you know.
Doesn't look likely on the above figures.
tim...
2019-07-14 10:25:35 UTC
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by Incubus
Post by R. Mark Clayton
That's odd the EU has done ~3% better than the UK since the
referendum - before of course it used to do better.
http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=41343
A month, how about World Bank figures over several years?
Growth % EU UK Delta
2010 2.086 1.711 -0.375
2011 1.755 1.645 -0.110
2012 -0.396 1.447 +1.843
2013 0.297 2.046 +1.749 UK outperforms EU
2014 1.784 2.948 +1.164
2015 2.349 2.349 0
2016 2.027 1.789 -0.238 H1 + H2 -
2017 2.042 1.823 -0.219 EU outperforms UK
2018 1.998 1.398 -0.600
As I have told you before

all these figures show is that the EU are playing catch up from being so far
behind after the end of the crash

It's not like the UK figures are embarrassingly low for the period, just
that the EU figures are better because they WERE embarrassing low in
previous years

add up all your deltas and the UK growth for the 9 year period is 3% above
that of the EU

tim
Pamela
2019-07-14 12:47:19 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by Incubus
Post by R. Mark Clayton
[...]
Taking an average hides the fact that the UK economic growth was the star
of all G20 economies for years. Then we had the Brexit referendum and
fell to being the slowest growing economy in the whole G20.

A man with his head in an oven and his feet in the fridge is not
comfortable, no matter what his average temperature suggests.
R. Mark Clayton
Both you and Norman ignore the inconvenient fact, and the point of my post, that the UK was leading the EU economically until we voted to leave and has trailed it since. An obvious reversal of fortunes resulting from the Leave vote.
Norman Wells
2019-07-14 14:26:31 UTC
On 14/07/2019 15:03, Yellow wrote:
Doesn't look likely on the above figures.
A Remoaner on one of the BBC politics shows last week claimed we were
just about to fall into recession but the fact checkers came back and
said in fact the economy grew during the last couple of months, last
month (from memory) by 0.3%.
Facts don't matter to Remoaners who have made up their minds. They will
even cite publications that are destructive of their case yet swear
blind they prove what they want.

It happens time and time again here. I think they've invented anti-logic.
tim...
2019-07-14 18:51:33 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Doesn't look likely on the above figures.
A Remoaner on one of the BBC politics shows last week claimed we were
just about to fall into recession but the fact checkers came back and
said in fact the economy grew during the last couple of months, last
month (from memory) by 0.3%.
Facts don't matter to Remoaners who have made up their minds. They will
even cite publications that are destructive of their case yet swear blind
they prove what they want.
It happens time and time again here. I think they've invented anti-logic.
I really want to see the look on their faces if they force an election
(apparently there are two waiting to defect to LibDems as soon as (if) Boris
wins, which will leave him with a majority of zero)

and Farage wins

tim
R. Mark Clayton
2019-07-15 09:24:25 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by Incubus
Post by R. Mark Clayton
[...]
See response to Tim - figures show UK ahead of EU until referendum and behind after it.
Post by R. Mark Clayton
with real GDP expected to grow in all EU Member States. " EU
UK is likely to enter recession.
Doesn't look likely on the above figures.
EU growth - positive except 2012. Probably 0.6% reduction due to Brexit

UK recession - no it is very recent figures that make this appear likely, in particular contraction in April meaning: -

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-recession-risk-0-1-second-quarter-contraction-predicted-11755730

and lots of other sources

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-13/unprepared-u-k-facing-highest-risk-of-recession-since-2007
https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/9503449/britain-on-the-brink-of-recession-as-job-adverts-plunge-by-biggest-quarterly-fall-in-nine-years/

Further turbulence in the markets and wider economy can be expected if, as is very likely, Boris becomes PM and: -

1. The chancellor quits or is sacked, spooking the markets.
2. BoE governor announces early departure - ditto.
3. Boris's commitment to a do or DIE Brexit crystallizes many companies' plans to relocate and a further collapse in investment.
Norman Wells
2019-07-15 11:20:05 UTC
Post by R. Mark Clayton
UK recession - no it is very recent figures that make this appear likely, in particular contraction in April meaning: -
https://news.sky.com/story/uk-recession-risk-0-1-second-quarter-contraction-predicted-11755730
and lots of other sources
Well, that one alone says:

"UK output has proved resilient since the vote to leave the EU, with
record employment and wage rises largely outpacing price growth -
inflation."

But you ignore that for some strange reason.
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Further turbulence in the markets and wider economy can be expected if, as is very likely, Boris becomes PM and: -
1. The chancellor quits or is sacked, spooking the markets.
It's absolutely clear Hammond will not be Chancellor in a Boris
government, and it has been for a long time. If his coming or going has
any effect, that's already factored in.
Post by R. Mark Clayton
2. BoE governor announces early departure - ditto.
He's due to go at the end of January anyway. Not long therefore. If
Post by R. Mark Clayton
3. Boris's commitment to a do or DIE Brexit crystallizes many companies' plans to relocate and a further collapse in investment.
Do you really think no forward planning happens in companies? That they
all sit around until announced plans actually come to pass before
reacting in any way whatsoever? The risks, if any, will have been fully
assessed and decisions already made.

Incubus
2019-07-15 10:08:01 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by R. Mark Clayton
with real GDP expected to grow in all EU Member States. " EU
UK is likely to enter recession.
Doesn't look likely on the above figures.
A Remoaner on one of the BBC politics shows last week claimed we were
just about to fall into recession but the fact checkers came back and
said in fact the economy grew during the last couple of months, last
month (from memory) by 0.3%.
It's easy to use the threat of impending recession to bolster your argument.
It doesn't have to materialise; you just keep saying it is around the corner.
Bonus points if you use the phrase "double dip".
Grikboxer®™
2019-07-11 13:05:07 UTC
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 02:43:09 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
Post by R. Mark Clayton
The popular and self made billionaire Richard Branson has warned that a no deal Brexit could see the pound at par with the dollar and Virgin largely pull out of the UK.
Will the 'popular' opportunist Branson pull out of his house in
Holland Park?
Post by R. Mark Clayton
https://www.cityam.com/sterling-could-hit-dollar-parity-in-no-deal-brexit-branson-warns/
no doubt some some Brextreme, widely despised, unsuccessful miser will be along to say it is just part of project fear...
No doubt some paranoid Remoaner, scared shitless of finding himself
outside the EU, will be along to say it has nothing to do with Project
Fear.
Peeler
2019-07-11 14:42:21 UTC
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 06:05:07 -0700, clinically insane, pedophilic, serbian
sexual cripple, making an ass of herself as "jew pedophile Ron Jacobson (jew
Post by Grikboxer®™
Post by R. Mark Clayton
The popular and self made billionaire Richard Branson has warned that a
no deal Brexit could see the pound at par with the dollar and Virgin
largely pull out of the UK.
Will the 'popular' opportunist Branson pull out of his house in
Holland Park?
Why should he, serb idiot?
Post by Grikboxer®™
Post by R. Mark Clayton
https://www.cityam.com/sterling-could-hit-dollar-parity-in-no-deal-brexit-
branson-warns/
no doubt some some Brextreme, widely despised, unsuccessful miser will
be along to say it is just part of project fear...
No doubt some paranoid Remoaner, scared shitless of finding himself
outside the EU, will be along to say it has nothing to do with Project
Fear.
So you DID felt personally addressed when "widely despised, unsuccessful
miser" was mentioned, you despicable pedophilic racist serb asshole! And
RIGHTLY so!
on Facebook is incapable of consent?"
MID: <Og0VE.1298131$***@usenetxs.com>
harry
2019-07-12 16:01:01 UTC
Oh you mean the tax dodger that lives on Neckar island?
Grikbuster®™
When he doesn't live on Holland Park.
Peeler
2019-07-12 19:34:11 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 09:43:26 -0700, clinically insane, pedophilic, serbian
Post by Grikbuster®™
Post by harry
Oh you mean the tax dodger that lives on Neckar island?
When he doesn't live on Holland Park.
Sounds like HE is no housebound frustrated pedophilic asshole like you,
dreckserb Razovic!