Can I sue a car rental company for cancellation of my reservation due to error in their system
a***@gmail.com
2018-06-18 20:41:17 UTC
To cut the long story short ... I booked a car through car rental agent in the UK and paid full amount online, but 2 weeks before the pick up they sent me an email to cancel the reservation, the reason was the price was too low because it was not offer rather a system error.

Now the prices wet too high and options are limited to expensive ones ....

I have the confirmation of payment and booking sent by email when I made the booking ...

Can I take this case to the court ? Please advise
tim...
2018-06-19 08:18:38 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
To cut the long story short ... I booked a car through car rental agent in
the UK and paid full amount online, but 2 weeks before the pick up they
sent me an email to cancel the reservation, the reason was the price was
too low because it was not offer rather a system error.
what do you mean by "not offer"

The company are entitled to void the contract if the price is an obvious
mistake (that you should have realised was an obvious mistake).

If it's just a low-ball price, but still within the expected norm, usually
not
Post by a***@gmail.com
Now the prices wet too high and options are limited to expensive ones ....
Does car hire routinely get more expensive nearer the date.

That's not my experience. (Though you do expect to get deals for pre
booking before pick up)

What are other companies offering? (as in their today's price against
today's price.)
Post by a***@gmail.com
I have the confirmation of payment and booking sent by email when I made the booking ...
have they refunded the money?
Post by a***@gmail.com
Can I take this case to the court ? Please advise
depends upon my answer to Q1

But is it really worth it?

2018-06-19 08:56:46 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
To cut the long story short ... I booked a car through car rental agent in the UK and paid full amount online, but 2 weeks before the pick up they sent me an email to cancel the reservation, the reason was the price was too low because it was not offer rather a system error.
Now the prices wet too high and options are limited to expensive ones ....
I have the confirmation of payment and booking sent by email when I made the booking ...
Can I take this case to the court ? Please advise
If the offer was a genuine mistake - e.g. "rent a car for a week for £1.00" instead of "rent a car for a week for £100", then the offer-er may withdraw offer and refuse to honour acceptances.

OTOH if the offer was reasonable then they can be held to it e.g. "Book early and get upgraded to a prestige car for £50 per week". In which case you book the same with someone else and sue for a refund and the difference between their offer and what you had to pay someone else to perform it.

Watch out for sneaky T&C like "subject to a car being available" - if an offer is very good then they might have already rented out all their cars and not have one for you.
a***@gmail.com
2018-06-19 12:25:35 UTC
Norm price is around 2000$ and I got it for 750$
tim...
2018-06-19 12:52:55 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Norm price is around 2000$ and I got it for 750$
as it's priced in dollars why do you think the appropriate jurisdiction for
suing is the UK

we need more info

tim
a***@gmail.com
2018-07-09 22:53:40 UTC
The agent is based in the UK

Martin Brown
2018-06-20 09:42:44 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Norm price is around 2000$ and I got it for 750$
That does sound borderline for being a genuine offer in high season.

If you booked in the UK with a UK agent you could check their contract
terms and cross your fingers but if it was an online car hire priced in
USD then your remedy if any may well be under US law.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Fredxx
2018-06-19 20:04:20 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
To cut the long story short ... I booked a car through car rental agent in the UK and paid full amount online, but 2 weeks before the pick up they sent me an email to cancel the reservation, the reason was the price was too low because it was not offer rather a system error.
Now the prices wet too high and options are limited to expensive ones ....
I have the confirmation of payment and booking sent by email when I made the booking ...
Can I take this case to the court ? Please advise
How quickly did the company tell you the price was a mistake from the
time of booking?
a***@gmail.com
2018-07-09 22:52:49 UTC
3 weeks after the booking and full payment