Brian Eno on Corbyn
2019-08-10 13:54:34 UTC
Just got back from holiday and just watched the final Marr of the season.

On it was a piece where Brian Eno (of Roxy Music fame for those who aren't
"with it" enough) was interviewed, and apparently he is a huge Corbyn fan

His one criticism of The Great Messiah was "I wish that he had been clearer
on his position on Europe"

and I'm struggling with that. I don't know Brian's position on the EU, but
did he mean

1) I wish he had been honest and said that he wants us to leave

or

2) I wish he had lied better?

:-)

2019-08-10 16:05:26 UTC
Just got back from holiday and just watched the final Marr of the season.
On it was a piece where Brian Eno (of Roxy Music fame for those who
aren't "with it" enough) was interviewed, and apparently he is a huge
Corbyn fan
His one criticism of The Great Messiah was "I wish that he had been
clearer on his position on Europe"
and I'm struggling with that.  I don't know Brian's position on the EU,
but did he mean
1) I wish he had been honest and said that he wants us to leave
or
2) I wish he had lied better?
:-)
Good question. Everywhere I hear Labour supporters bemoaning the "fact"
that Corbyn hasn't been "clear" enough about Brexit.

I think what it means is that they wanted him to support Remain and to
say so unequivocally. And that seems idiotic. Labour's voters aren't all
Remainers, far from it. The honourable thing is to honour the referendum
result if we can get a good exit deal, which has been Labour's policy
for ages. If we can't - well, nobody seems to have an answer to that
other than the foolish No Deal Brexit on WTO terms. The million to one
possibility, according to Boris the Messiah who will soon reveal his
supernatural powers, presumably.
Moomin
2019-08-14 17:40:42 UTC
[...]
He originally wanted to leave, but he was got at and changed his
coat.....I then cancelled my Labour Party membership.
tim...
2019-08-14 19:34:41 UTC
Post by Moomin
[...]
no he didn't

he's just pretending that he did.

He's hoping that the decision will be made for him without him having to do
anything positive

hence the reason why some of us question if he will table the VoC that the
Tory Remoaners want

tim
MM
2019-08-15 08:43:38 UTC
Post by Moomin
[...]
Jezza is about to lead a Caretaker Government of National Unity. Watch
this space!

MM
Norman Wells
2019-08-15 12:05:22 UTC
Post by MM
Post by tim...
Post by Moomin
[...]
Not if the Tories, the LibDems, the Scot Nats, Labour Leavers and Labour
non-believers in Corbyn have anything to do with it.

However you fudge the numbers, they just don't add up.

Anyway, there's no route to a 'Caretaker Government'. If Boris loses a
motion of no confidence, he is perfectly entitled to remain in office
through the 14 days allowed to get the motion reversed. He is not
obliged to resign, and while he doesn't there is no vacancy for either a
new Prime Minister or a new government. If he fails to get it reversed
in the 14 days allowed, the consequence is a general election. It's his
prerogative to say when that will be, and he will remain in office
unless and until the election result shows he is not best placed to
command a majority in the Commons.

Parliament does not resume after the summer recess until 3 September,
and the next recess, for the Party conferences, which lasts about 3
weeks, follows fairly quickly. The LibDems Conference starts on 14
September for example, so the Commons will not be sitting then, and will
probably not resume before about 8 October.

It remains to be seen whether Corbyn would table a motion of no
confidence straight after the summer recess as that would trigger the 14
days breathing space to end during the conference season when Parliament
is not sitting. If he did and the government decided that the
Conference recess should not happen because a reversal vote is
necessary, that would leave an awful lot of people very disgruntled with
him.

In any case, Boris has to leave a period of at least 17 working days
before a general election, so could quite reasonably set a date after
Brexit day.

It's impossible for a no confidence motion to be tabled after the
Conference recess, allow the 14 days breathing space, and have a general
election all before Brexit day.
The Todal
2019-08-15 19:58:05 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by MM
Post by tim...
Post by Moomin
Post by tim...
[...]
You're out of date. Lots of politicians are reluctantly getting behind
the plan to have Corbyn as a caretaker PM, because it's the lesser of
two evils.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/15/lib-dems-urged-to-back-corbyn-as-interim-pm-to-stop-no-deal-brexit
Post by Norman Wells
However you fudge the numbers, they just don't add up.
Boris faces disaster and subsequent oblivion.
Post by Norman Wells
Anyway, there's no route to a 'Caretaker Government'.
Apparently there is. Don't listen to Dominic Cummings. He full of shit.
He and Boris are both amateurs in making use of parliamentary procedure.
Norman Wells
2019-08-15 20:38:03 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by MM
Jezza is about to lead a Caretaker Government of National Unity. Watch
this space!
Not if the Tories, the LibDems, the Scot Nats, Labour Leavers and
Labour non-believers in Corbyn have anything to do with it.
You're out of date. Lots of politicians are reluctantly getting behind
the plan to have Corbyn as a caretaker PM, because it's the lesser of
two evils.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/15/lib-dems-urged-to-back-corbyn-as-interim-pm-to-stop-no-deal-brexit
You're clutching at straws, and that's because you know Boris will get
his way and you're desperate.

The numbers just don't add up for Corbyn. The Tories and the DUP still
have an overall majority. So, not only would *all* the rag, tag and
bobtail other parties have to support Corbyn in his futile lunge for No
10 but all the independents too, *and* several Conservative MPs, which
isn't going to happen. The LibDems may have been 'urged' to back
Corbyn's plan, but they've already deemed it 'a nonsense'. So, not even
they are on board.

In any case, Boris is under no obligation to resign or hand over to
Corbyn without a general election in which he is defeated.

Take it from me, a caretaker government headed by that nice Mr Corbyn is
an absolute non-starter.
Post by The Todal
Post by Norman Wells
However you fudge the numbers, they just don't add up.
Boris faces disaster and subsequent oblivion.
Does he? Who says?
Post by The Todal
Post by Norman Wells
Anyway, there's no route to a 'Caretaker Government'.
Apparently there is. Don't listen to Dominic Cummings. He full of shit.
He and Boris are both amateurs in making use of parliamentary procedure.
So, no real argument then, just a vain hope?

Read the Fixed-term Parliaments Act and tell me how it will come about.
The Todal
2019-08-16 08:46:39 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by The Todal
Post by Norman Wells
Anyway, there's no route to a 'Caretaker Government'.
Apparently there is. Don't listen to Dominic Cummings. He full of
shit. He and Boris are both amateurs in making use of parliamentary
procedure.
So, no real argument then, just a vain hope?
Read the Fixed-term Parliaments Act and tell me how it will come about.
Regrettably, that information is above your pay-grade.

As you must know, the First Rule of Negotiation is to keep your strategy
under wraps and not tell outsiders what steps you intend to take or what
your bottom line is.

It's how our government produced such a splendid draft exit agreement.
Norman Wells
2019-08-16 09:24:45 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by The Todal
Post by Norman Wells
Anyway, there's no route to a 'Caretaker Government'.
Apparently there is. Don't listen to Dominic Cummings. He full of
shit. He and Boris are both amateurs in making use of parliamentary
procedure.
So, no real argument then, just a vain hope?
Read the Fixed-term Parliaments Act and tell me how it will come about.
Regrettably, that information is above your pay-grade.
As you must know, the First Rule of Negotiation is to keep your strategy
under wraps and not tell outsiders what steps you intend to take or what
your bottom line is.
We're not talking about 'negotiation'. We're talking about any possible
route to a caretaker government having regard to the Fixed-term
Parliaments Act.

It seems from your inability to say what that might be that you can't
see one either.
Ian Jackson
2019-08-16 09:26:52 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by The Todal
Post by Norman Wells
Anyway, there's no route to a 'Caretaker Government'.
Apparently there is. Don't listen to Dominic Cummings. He full of
shit. He and Boris are both amateurs in making use of parliamentary
procedure.
So, no real argument then, just a vain hope?
Read the Fixed-term Parliaments Act and tell me how it will come about.
Regrettably, that information is above your pay-grade.
As you must know, the First Rule of Negotiation is to keep your
strategy under wraps and not tell outsiders what steps you intend to
take or what your bottom line is.
It's how our government produced such a splendid draft exit agreement.
They certainly had no difficulty keeping their risk assessment secret,
as it didn't even exist.
Ian
Stephen Cole
2019-08-15 20:25:02 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by MM
Post by tim...
Post by Moomin
[...]
Wall of text. Gotten to.

Change is coming!
--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Norman Wells
Would you like to translate that into Englsh please?
Brian Reay
2019-08-15 20:53:12 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Stephen Cole
Post by Norman Wells
Post by MM
Post by tim...
Post by Moomin
[...]
He likes to delude himself. He can’t cope with reality.

Best just to ignore him.
Stephen Cole
2019-08-16 05:52:46 UTC
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Stephen Cole
Post by Norman Wells
Post by MM
Post by tim...
Post by Moomin
[...]
You can’t ignore that I’ve called it 100% right all the way through this
shameful Brexit debacle that you and your mob brought about, Brian.
Norman Wells
2019-08-16 07:50:51 UTC
Post by Stephen Cole
Post by Brian Reay
Post by Stephen Cole
Wall of text. Gotten to.
Change is coming!
Would you like to translate that into English please?
He likes to delude himself. He can’t cope with reality.
Best just to ignore him.
You can’t ignore that I’ve called it 100% right all the way through this
shameful Brexit debacle that you and your mob brought about, Brian.
In view of your flawless record, I thought I might be able to make some
money out of Paddypower by betting on your certainties, so I phoned
them, all my credit cards in hand, ready to spend all I could.

Sadly, they said they couldn't offer odds on 'change is coming'. They
seemed to think that was sort of inevitable one way or another, and I'd
have to be more specific. I asked how. They said oh, things like what
and when.

You seem a reliable chap in the predictions game. Can you help me out
please?
Jim GM4DHJ ...
2019-08-16 07:52:58 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
[...]