BoJo ProRogue
Add Reply
Stephen Cole
2019-08-28 09:22:06 UTC
Well, looks like the shit’s hitting the fan. Who woulda thunk that “taking
back control” would mean shuttering Parliament to prevent elected
politicians from exercising representative democracy?

Difficult to see this panning out well for the Conservative Party long
term, once the dust has settled on all this Brexit madness; it’s the sort
of behaviour you’d expect to see in Harare rather than Westminster, tbh.
I’m still more or less convinced that Boris is actually simply trying to
provoke Parliament (including swathes of his own party) to intervene and
formally block no deal or 31st October leave date, just so he can then
pursue a narrative of “betrayal” and blaming everybody other than himself
for it in a subsequent General Election campaign. It’s his best shot at a
majority, IMO, so probably not a bad gambit. Given that suspending
Parliament till mid-October doesn’t allow enough time to legislate in the
manner that Cooper et al have posited, maybe he’s trying to force the
Opposition Parties (and a chunk of his own party) to have a choice of no
deal or revoke A50, with his expectation being that a majority would be
cobbled together to revoke (which, AIUI, can be done by a hastily tabled
SI, up to the last possible moment, rather than actual legislation???). If
so, boy!, you can just imagine the campaign he’d then run in the almost
immediate GE! With A50 revoked, Brexit would be dead and never resurrected,
although in public PM BoJo (if he won) would make a great play about the EU
not allowing A50 to be resubmitted etc; move the blame around, keep the
plebs angry.

For the record, I don’t think he’ll pull it all off; Brexit won’t happen at
the end of October, and Jeremy Corbyn will be Prime Minister by Christmas,
or perhaps next Spring at the latest. Feel free to mark my words.
--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Pancho
2019-08-28 09:48:55 UTC
Post by Stephen Cole
Well, looks like the shit’s hitting the fan. Who woulda thunk that “taking
back control” would mean shuttering Parliament to prevent elected
politicians from exercising representative democracy?
Difficult to see this panning out well for the Conservative Party long
term, once the dust has settled on all this Brexit madness;
I disagree, the country tends to back the Conservatives when they feel
insecure.

I kind of agree with you that most likely the situation pans out, as
Boris tries his best for a kosher Brexit, but is thwarted by traitorous
rebel MPs.

Once Brexit is cancelled or postponed the country will look to the
security of a traditional Tory government.

There is of course the possibility that Boris might succeed and we will
then see the UK aligning with the USA, in an anglosphere, possibly with
Australia joining later.

Anyway, it looks as if the phony war, Boris talking to the EU, is over
and the real war is about to begin, Boris vs the UK parliament.
dennis@home
2019-08-28 09:56:52 UTC
Post by Pancho
Post by Stephen Cole
[...]
I am not voting for any government with boris in it!

Now we have proof just how anti-democracy brexiteers are.

As far as I am concerned the torys can go and I will vote for the
candidate most likely to win that isn't a tory.

Even greens are less anti democratic.
abelard
2019-08-28 10:47:03 UTC
Post by ***@home
Post by Pancho
[...]
don't be daft...the demos is for leaving...

boris is on the side of the demos...

parliament very much doesn't like that...

this is a contest between parliament and the people...

in such situations it is foolish to bet against the people
www.abelard.org
kat
2019-08-28 11:35:59 UTC
Post by ***@home
Now we have proof just how anti-democracy brexiteers are.
Have I stepped through the Looking Glass? Is it now anti-democraic to attempt
to deliver the result of a democratcic vote, and democratic to attempt to
prevent that delivery?
--
kat
^..^<
Stephen Cole
2019-08-28 11:47:54 UTC
Post by kat
Post by ***@home
Now we have proof just how anti-democracy brexiteers are.
Have I stepped through the Looking Glass? Is it now anti-democraic to attempt
to deliver the result of a democratcic vote, and democratic to attempt to
prevent that delivery?
Elected representatives using whatever parliamentary tools are at their
disposal in order to create and/or shape legislation is, indeed, democracy
in action. The executive closing down Parliament to prevent that from
happening is, indeed, undemocratic. HTH. HAND.
abelard
2019-08-28 11:49:24 UTC
On 28 Aug 2019 11:47:54 GMT, Stephen Cole
Post by Stephen Cole
Post by kat
Post by ***@home
Now we have proof just how anti-democracy brexiteers are.
Have I stepped through the Looking Glass? Is it now anti-democraic to attempt
to deliver the result of a democratcic vote, and democratic to attempt to
prevent that delivery?
Elected representatives using whatever parliamentary tools are at their
disposal in order to create and/or shape legislation is, indeed, democracy
in action. The executive closing down Parliament to prevent that from
happening is, indeed, undemocratic. HTH. HAND.
indeed, black is obviously white
www.abelard.org
AnthonyL
2019-08-28 11:43:44 UTC
Post by ***@home
Post by Pancho
[...]
I'm never going to be sucked into voting for anyone/anything ever
again if Brexit doesn't go ahead.
--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Grikboxxir®™
2019-08-28 11:53:47 UTC
Post by ***@home
Post by Pancho
[...]
The referendum result was a democratic one. Anyone trying to subvert
it is anti-democratic.
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer
2019-08-28 09:57:47 UTC
Post by Pancho
Post by Stephen Cole
[...]
Looks like YET ANOTHER attempt by Stephen Cole to make himself the
infantile centre of attention by spewing his thoughts over a large
number of newsgroups.

He is either best ignored or directed to his nearest kindergarten school
wherein he might sign up as a pupil.
Stephen Cole
tim...
2019-08-28 10:12:58 UTC
Post by Pancho
Post by Stephen Cole
Well, looks like the shit’s hitting the fan. Who woulda thunk that “taking
back control” would mean shuttering Parliament to prevent elected
politicians from exercising representative democracy?
Difficult to see this panning out well for the Conservative Party long
term, once the dust has settled on all this Brexit madness;
I disagree, the country tends to back the Conservatives when they feel
insecure.
I kind of agree with you that most likely the situation pans out, as Boris
tries his best for a kosher Brexit, but is thwarted by traitorous rebel
MPs.
Once Brexit is cancelled or postponed the country will look to the
security of a traditional Tory government.
nonsensical wishful thinking

2019-08-28 10:03:35 UTC
Post by Stephen Cole
Well, looks like the shit’s hitting the fan. Who woulda thunk that “taking
back control” would mean shuttering Parliament to prevent elected
politicians from exercising representative democracy?
Difficult to see this panning out well for the Conservative Party long
term
If it works, he'll be a hero

All the opposition are acting like he's performed the actions of a dictator

He hasn't

He hasn't put himself into a position where he can make law without
scrutiny. Whilst prorogued he will have no executive powers at all (I'm
sure that someone come along and suggest he still has the right to declare
war, but that's not going to happen, so is moot).

All he's done is extended the period during which the opposition can't throw
stones at him

The idea that it's a constitution outrage is just daft
Post by Stephen Cole
, once the dust has settled on all this Brexit madness;
As above, it all depends upon how the Brexit dust settles

I can see three option from here:

a) EU backs down and we get Boris deal
b) we leave No Deal and there's not Armageddon
c) we leave No Deal and there is Armageddon

I reckon (a) or (b) is better than 50-50
Post by Stephen Cole
it’s the sort
of behaviour you’d expect to see in Harare rather than Westminster, tbh.
you appear to be starting from the position that the Remoaners have the
moral high ground here

They don't

They lost the referendum and it's an absolute disgrace that they have been
allowed to continually spike the leaving negotiation in order to get up to
Revoke

It's about time they were put in their place and told to DO WHAT THE
ELECTORATE VOTED FOR
Post by Stephen Cole
I’m still more or less convinced that Boris is actually simply trying to
provoke Parliament (including swathes of his own party) to intervene and
formally block no deal or 31st October leave date,
how does he achieve that?

Alice in Wonderland possibility
Post by Stephen Cole
just so he can then
pursue a narrative of “betrayal” and blaming everybody other than himself
well that wont work

it will be glaringly obvious to all that it was his fault.

If he wants to avoid blame, all he has to do from here is allow the
Remoaners to do their worst

and he's taken the exact opposite approach.

There has to be a different motivation than avoiding blame.
Post by Stephen Cole
for it in a subsequent General Election campaign. It’s his best shot at a
majority,
leaving the EU (on any terms) is his best shot for a majority, IMHO
Post by Stephen Cole
IMO, so probably not a bad gambit. Given that suspending
Parliament till mid-October doesn’t allow enough time to legislate in the
manner that Cooper et al have posited, maybe he’s trying to force the
Opposition Parties (and a chunk of his own party) to have a choice of no
deal or revoke A50,
they can't choose to Revoke unless he tables the motion

and if he does, it will all be his fault, so he wont
Post by Stephen Cole
with his expectation being that a majority would be
cobbled together to revoke (which, AIUI, can be done by a hastily tabled
SI, up to the last possible moment, rather than actual legislation???).
But why would he?

He will be decimated at the forthcoming election (which will likely be
immediately).

They wont be counting lost seats in tens, it will be hundreds.
Post by Stephen Cole
If
so, boy!, you can just imagine the campaign he’d then run in the almost
immediate GE! With A50 revoked, Brexit would be dead and never
resurrected,
You are living in fantasy land if you don't see that revoking will result in
millions of voters voting for Farage and giving him a sizable number of
seats to continue his campaign.

he may even be the largest party.
Post by Stephen Cole
although in public PM BoJo (if he won) would make a great play about the EU
not allowing A50 to be resubmitted etc;
But it can be:

by a new government.
Post by Stephen Cole
move the blame around, keep the
plebs angry.
For the record, I don’t think he’ll pull it all off; Brexit won’t happen at
the end of October, and Jeremy Corbyn will be Prime Minister by Christmas,
Oh you are living in Wonderland

perhaps I shouldn't have bother to reply

tim
Martin Brown
2019-08-28 11:13:46 UTC
Post by Stephen Cole
Well, looks like the shit’s hitting the fan. Who woulda thunk that “taking
back control” would mean shuttering Parliament to prevent elected
politicians from exercising representative democracy?
Difficult to see this panning out well for the Conservative Party long
term
If it works, he'll be a hero
All the opposition are acting like he's performed the actions of a dictator
He hasn't
He has. He has deliberately disenfranchised all the MPs in parliament so
that he can force his own crazy Brexit vision through unopposed. That is
exactly the actions of a dictator (and not a very smart one at that).
Post by tim...
He hasn't put himself into a position where he can make law without
scrutiny.  Whilst prorogued he will have no executive powers at all
(I'm sure that someone come along and suggest he still has the right to
declare war, but that's not going to happen, so is moot).
All he's done is extended the period during which the opposition can't
throw stones at him
The idea that it's a constitution outrage is just daft
Try telling that to Dominic Grieve or Sir John Major who I expect will
lead the main counter attack against this constitutional outrage.
Post by tim...
Post by Stephen Cole
, once the dust has settled on all this Brexit madness;
As above, it all depends upon how the Brexit dust settles
a) EU backs down and we get Boris deal
b) we leave No Deal and there's not Armageddon
c) we leave No Deal and there is Armageddon
d) UK sees sense and Article 50 is withdrawn
Post by tim...
I reckon (a) or (b) is better than 50-50
I reckon it will be between (b) and (c) or that parliament seizes
control some other way and puts Boris in the Tower for treason.

I doubt that no deal will be Armageddon but I think it will do most harm
to the very people who were tricked by Boris into voting for it.
Better get used to having most of Kent as a lorry park.
Post by tim...
Post by Stephen Cole
it’s the sort
of behaviour you’d expect to see in Harare rather than Westminster, tbh.
you appear to be starting from the position that the Remoaners have the
moral high ground here
They don't
Yes they do.
Post by tim...
They lost the referendum and it's an absolute disgrace that they have
been allowed to continually spike the leaving negotiation in order to
get up to Revoke
The bastards in the rabidly Eurosceptic wing of the Tory party have been
a PITA for many previous Tory leaders. Now that the tables are turned
Tory Remainers should use *EXACTLY* the same spoiling tactics in return.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Yellow
2019-08-28 11:48:36 UTC
On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 12:13:46 +0100 Martin Brown
Post by Martin Brown
Post by tim...
Well, looks like the shit?s hitting the fan. Who woulda thunk that
?taking
back control? would mean shuttering Parliament to prevent elected
politicians from exercising representative democracy?
Difficult to see this panning out well for the Conservative Party long
term
If it works, he'll be a hero
All the opposition are acting like he's performed the actions of a dictator
He hasn't
He has. He has deliberately disenfranchised all the MPs in parliament so
that he can force his own crazy Brexit vision through unopposed. That is
exactly the actions of a dictator (and not a very smart one at that).
The problem you have with that view of events is that MPs have voted at
every stage to bring us to this point, passing laws that mean the UK
will be leaving the EU on 31 October 2019.

That was the time to pass legislation to prevent a so called "no-deal"
Brexit and there was plenty of opportunity.
Keema's Nan
2019-08-28 12:24:00 UTC
Post by Martin Brown
Post by tim...
He hasn't put himself into a position where he can make law without
scrutiny. Whilst prorogued he will have no executive powers at all
(I'm sure that someone come along and suggest he still has the right to
declare war, but that's not going to happen, so is moot).
All he's done is extended the period during which the opposition can't
throw stones at him
The idea that it's a constitution outrage is just daft
Try telling that to Dominic Grieve or Sir John Major who I expect will
lead the main counter attack against this constitutional outrage.
You forgot the © John Bercow at the end of your sentence.

You could have gone even more incandescent and typed an utterly scandalous
affront to our democracy © Tom Watson (who wouldn’t recognise democracy
even if it was on the table in front of him).
Norman Wells
2019-08-28 10:26:30 UTC
Can you give us any reason why we should?
Spike
2019-08-28 11:41:01 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Stephen Cole
For the record, I don’t think he’ll pull it all off; Brexit won’t happen at
the end of October, and Jeremy Corbyn will be Prime Minister by Christmas,
or perhaps next Spring at the latest.
Feel free to mark my words.
Can you give us any reason why we should?
Because he thinks they are worth it in some way?

Those of us familiar with his internet bullying have him KF'd, but his
ego is large enough to make him believe that they don't work against the
force of his mighty intellect. His unrealistic expectations perhaps
explain why he lives in a shithole and has an imaginary friend ('Burt')
that he gives a pasting to every time he falls on his face.
Spike
NY
2019-08-28 12:11:36 UTC
Post by Stephen Cole
For the record, I don’t think he’ll pull it all off; Brexit won’t happen at
the end of October, and Jeremy Corbyn will be Prime Minister by Christmas,
or perhaps next Spring at the latest. Feel free to mark my words.
I hope Corbyn isn't made prime minister, even temporarily, without a general
election. If parliament loses confidence in a prime minister, the governing
party should elect a new leader as prime minister. If parliament loses
confidence in the government, parliament should be dissolved and the public
should elect a new government and hence prime minister in a general
election.

But whatever happens, power should not be handed over to the leader of the
opposition - unless that is what the general public votes for in a general
election.

All this guff about "the Queen invites the various parties to form a
government" should remain just that - guff. The general election has
indicated that the Conservative party has the greatest support (via our
slightly at-a-distance process of electing MPs, with the governing party
being the one that has the greatest number of MPs) and it seems
fundamentally wrong that the party with the *second* greatest number of MPs
should ever get a chance to govern (either on its own in in coalition with
other parties), even in a caretaker capacity.

I think Brexit *will* happen, with or without a deal. I hope the EU sees
sense and decides that a new deal, on slightly different terms, is better
for the EU than the UK leaving without a new deal (which would also leave
the EU without the £39 billion that it owes!).

Unless Corbyn and the Remainers manages to scupper the process, which would
be wrong because (fractionally) more of the UK citizens who voted did so for
Brexit rather than Remain, Brexit (on whatever terms) *will* happen. And I'm
not interested in the fact that significantly less than 50% of the
electorate voted for Brexit. True, but irrelevant; even less of the
electorate voted for Remain - so what: those people who choose not to vote
in an election cannot be counted as tacit supporters for either side and
should be disregarded.
abelard
2019-08-28 12:21:44 UTC
Post by NY
[...]