Getting Brexit Done
2020-01-09 23:06:57 UTC
From The Times:

Happy new year and welcome to this week's Brexit Briefing from The Times.

There is now less than a year to go before Britain leaves the European
Union.

You read that right the first time. Whatever fireworks get let off on
January 31 or however many commemorative coins are minted, for all of us
the substance of the United Kingdom's relationship with the EU will be
the same on February 1 as it was the day before.

Boris Johnson might not like to admit it but Britain's real departure
from the EU will only take place on December 31 at the end of the
transition period — and we as yet have no idea what kind of relationship
with the EU will follow.
Omega
2020-01-10 08:45:49 UTC
Happy new year and welcome to this week's Brexit Briefing from The Times.
There is now less than a year to go before Britain leaves the European
Union.
You read that right the first time. Whatever fireworks get let off on
January 31 or however many commemorative coins are minted, for all of us
the substance of the United Kingdom's relationship with the EU will be
the same on February 1 as it was the day before.
Boris Johnson might not like to admit it but Britain's real departure
from the EU will only take place on December 31 at the end of the
transition period — and we as yet have no idea what kind of relationship
with the EU will follow.
Boris has pledged 'no extension to the transitional period' so he is
well aware of our status with the EU until the end of this year.

You or is it your reporting, are probably correct but who anywhere knows
the exact relationship we will have with the EU in future?

From my perspective, individuals in Europe have shut up their
blustering threats and the EU appears to have come out of denial, we
really are leaving, and will want the best deal for themselves which in
itself denies them hurting themselves to hurt us!

I think it now time the 'Remainers' gave up their bitter defeatist
pessimism.

We're on our way.

omega
Pamela
2020-01-10 13:50:58 UTC
Post by Omega
Post by The Todal
Happy new year and welcome to this week's Brexit Briefing from The Times.
There is now less than a year to go before Britain leaves the European
Union.
You read that right the first time. Whatever fireworks get let off on
January 31 or however many commemorative coins are minted, for all of
us the substance of the United Kingdom's relationship with the EU will
be the same on February 1 as it was the day before.
Boris Johnson might not like to admit it but Britain's real departure
from the EU will only take place on December 31 at the end of the
transition period — and we as yet have no idea what kind of
relationship with the EU will follow.
Boris has pledged 'no extension to the transitional period' so he is
well aware of our status with the EU until the end of this year.
Boris also pledged leaving the EU on 31st October but he blew that.
Post by Omega
You or is it your reporting, are probably correct but who anywhere knows
the exact relationship we will have with the EU in future?
From my perspective, individuals in Europe have shut up their
blustering threats and the EU appears to have come out of denial, we
really are leaving, and will want the best deal for themselves which in
itself denies them hurting themselves to hurt us!
The EU was never in denial about Brexit. EU plans for Brexit were always
more advanced than the UK's.
Post by Omega
I think it now time the 'Remainers' gave up their bitter defeatist
pessimism.
We're on our way.
omega
Boris now has such a majority that when Brexit tanks, he'll have to
explain what he screwed up. He's likely to backpedal in coming
negotiations because all his cock ups can't be blamed on the EU although
he will try.
tim...
2020-01-10 16:04:49 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Omega
Post by The Todal
Happy new year and welcome to this week's Brexit Briefing from The Times.
There is now less than a year to go before Britain leaves the European
Union.
You read that right the first time. Whatever fireworks get let off on
January 31 or however many commemorative coins are minted, for all of
us the substance of the United Kingdom's relationship with the EU will
be the same on February 1 as it was the day before.
Boris Johnson might not like to admit it but Britain's real departure
from the EU will only take place on December 31 at the end of the
transition period â?" and we as yet have no idea what kind of
Post by Omega
You or is it your reporting, are probably correct but who anywhere knows
the exact relationship we will have with the EU in future?
From my perspective, individuals in Europe have shut up their
blustering threats and the EU appears to have come out of denial, we
really are leaving, and will want the best deal for themselves which in
itself denies them hurting themselves to hurt us!
The EU was never in denial about Brexit.
but many of the individual people did hope that they could reverse it

and acted accordingly

and now they are going to hope that they can bully us into "remaining close"

and will act to get that instead

The sooner that they realise that's not going to happen, the better for
everybody

tim
Pamela
2020-01-11 16:56:13 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Omega
You or is it your reporting, are probably correct but who anywhere
knows the exact relationship we will have with the EU in future?
From my perspective, individuals in Europe have shut up their
blustering threats and the EU appears to have come out of denial, we
really are leaving, and will want the best deal for themselves which
in itself denies them hurting themselves to hurt us!
The EU was never in denial about Brexit.
but many of the individual people did hope that they could reverse it
and acted accordingly
and now they are going to hope that they can bully us into "remaining close"
and will act to get that instead
The sooner that they realise that's not going to happen, the better for
everybody
tim
So you agree that, "the EU appears to have come out of denial" is untrue
because it was never in denial.
tim...
2020-01-12 17:38:17 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by tim...
Post by Pamela
Post by Omega
Post by The Todal
Happy new year and welcome to this week's Brexit Briefing from The Times.
There is now less than a year to go before Britain leaves the
European Union.
You read that right the first time. Whatever fireworks get let off
on January 31 or however many commemorative coins are minted, for
all of us the substance of the United Kingdom's relationship with
the EU will be the same on February 1 as it was the day before.
Boris Johnson might not like to admit it but Britain's real
departure from the EU will only take place on December 31 at the
end of the transition period â?" and we as yet have no idea what
Post by Omega
You or is it your reporting, are probably correct but who anywhere
knows the exact relationship we will have with the EU in future?
From my perspective, individuals in Europe have shut up their
blustering threats and the EU appears to have come out of denial, we
really are leaving, and will want the best deal for themselves which
in itself denies them hurting themselves to hurt us!
The EU was never in denial about Brexit.
but many of the individual people did hope that they could reverse it
and acted accordingly
and now they are going to hope that they can bully us into "remaining close"
and will act to get that instead
The sooner that they realise that's not going to happen, the better
for everybody
tim
So you agree that, "the EU appears to have come out of denial" is
untrue because it was never in denial.
absolutely not
I have no idea how you can come to that nonsensical conclusion
tim
You wrote "the EU was never in denial"
no I didn't

that was a comment written by you which I singled out to reply to

2020-01-12 22:20:39 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by tim...
Post by Pamela
Post by Omega
You or is it your reporting, are probably correct but who anywhere
knows the exact relationship we will have with the EU in future?
From my perspective, individuals in Europe have shut up their
[...]
I contend the EU was never in denial about Brexit happening.
I told you

it did what it could to thwart it
Do you
disagree?
I'm not playing you silly little game

tim
Pamela
2020-01-13 12:30:52 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by tim...
Post by Pamela
Post by Omega
Post by The Todal
Happy new year and welcome to this week's Brexit Briefing from The Times.
There is now less than a year to go before Britain leaves the
European Union.
You read that right the first time. Whatever fireworks get let
off on January 31 or however many commemorative coins are
minted, for all of us the substance of the United Kingdom's
relationship with the EU will be the same on February 1 as it
was the day before.
Boris Johnson might not like to admit it but Britain's real
departure from the EU will only take place on December 31 at
the end of the transition period â?" and we as yet have no idea
Post by Omega
You or is it your reporting, are probably correct but who
anywhere knows the exact relationship we will have with the EU
in future?
From my perspective, individuals in Europe have shut up their
[...]
In which case the EU was not in denial that Brexit would occur but anxious
that it would indeed occur.
I'll take that as a no.
tim...
they were in denial about whether they could stop it
Pamela
2020-01-14 11:46:49 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Pamela
Post by tim...
Post by Pamela
Post by Omega
You or is it your reporting, are probably correct but who
anywhere knows the exact relationship we will have with the EU
in future?
From my perspective, individuals in Europe have shut up their
[...]
So the EU was not in denial about Brexit happening. Q.E.D.

Fredxx
2020-01-12 23:23:57 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by tim...
Post by Pamela
Post by Omega
You or is it your reporting, are probably correct but who anywhere
knows the exact relationship we will have with the EU in future?
From my perspective, individuals in Europe have shut up their
[...]
I contend the EU was never in denial about Brexit happening. Do you
disagree?
Is that your way of saying you're a sore loser?
tim...
R. Mark Clayton
2020-01-10 15:19:16 UTC
Post by Omega
Post by The Todal
[...]
From my perspective, individuals in Europe have shut up their
blustering threats and the EU appears to have come out of denial, we
really are leaving, and will want the best deal for themselves which in
itself denies them hurting themselves to hurt us!
blustering threats - who has been making those?
Post by Omega
I think it now time the 'Remainers' gave up their bitter defeatist
pessimism.
True - it is now defeated pessemism. Much of the ill omens will now come to pass.

Another steelworks announced closure only yesterday...
Post by Omega
We're on our way.
Yep - out into the cold. We may be gone for some time...

Never in the field of British politics have the "victors" celebrated losing so much.
omega
Maxwell Boltzmann
2020-01-10 17:28:49 UTC
True - it is now defeated pessemism. Much of the ill omens will now come to pass.
Another steelworks announced closure only yesterday...
Ah, steelworks closing. Bad sign. That never happened when we were
staying in the EU. No steelworks have closed at all since 1975. They're
all still open. All thick, ignorant remainers know this.
Max
tim...

2020-01-10 10:06:35 UTC
Happy new year and welcome to this week's Brexit Briefing from The Times.
There is now less than a year to go before Britain leaves the European
Union.
You read that right the first time. Whatever fireworks get let off on
January 31 or however many commemorative coins are minted, for all of
us the substance of the United Kingdom's relationship with the EU will
be the same on February 1 as it was the day before.
Boris Johnson might not like to admit it but Britain's real departure
from the EU will only take place on December 31 at the end of the
transition period — and we as yet have no idea what kind of
relationship with the EU will follow.
tim
Yes, it's always difficult to get out of bed and back to work after that
Christmas break. But you can do it.