Is wasting water a basic human right?
2018-12-04 01:59:37 UTC
Just read this article which states - "There is no choice of water
company - so she says it means trying to cut down on consumption, such
as flushing the toilet less often."

Dunno about everyone else but I only flush my loo a few times a day as
doing otherwise - regardless of the cost of water - is an appalling
waste of resource.

So it has left me pondering the question.... given the women in the
article thinks water should be cheap enough to waste, is that in fact
exactly the argument for why it should not be that cheap?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46431480
JNugent
2018-12-04 06:47:09 UTC
Just read this article which states - "There is no choice of water
company - so she says it means trying to cut down on consumption, such
as flushing the toilet less often."
Dunno about everyone else but I only flush my loo a few times a day as
doing otherwise - regardless of the cost of water - is an appalling
waste of resource.
So it has left me pondering the question.... given the women in the
article thinks water should be cheap enough to waste, is that in fact
exactly the argument for why it should not be that cheap?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46431480
The answer to that question is contingent upon another, precedent, question:

"Is basic hygiene a waste of water?".
Yellow
2018-12-04 14:07:35 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Yellow
Just read this article which states - "There is no choice of water
company - so she says it means trying to cut down on consumption, such
as flushing the toilet less often."
Dunno about everyone else but I only flush my loo a few times a day as
doing otherwise - regardless of the cost of water - is an appalling
waste of resource.
So it has left me pondering the question.... given the women in the
article thinks water should be cheap enough to waste, is that in fact
exactly the argument for why it should not be that cheap?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46431480
"Is basic hygiene a waste of water?".
Not flushing away wee every time is not a hygiene issue. Poo, yes, and
you do not want to let the paper build up or you will get a clog, but
wee is fine to sit.
JNugent
2018-12-04 14:41:34 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Yellow
Just read this article which states - "There is no choice of water
company - so she says it means trying to cut down on consumption, such
as flushing the toilet less often."
Dunno about everyone else but I only flush my loo a few times a day as
doing otherwise - regardless of the cost of water - is an appalling
waste of resource.
So it has left me pondering the question.... given the women in the
article thinks water should be cheap enough to waste, is that in fact
exactly the argument for why it should not be that cheap?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46431480
"Is basic hygiene a waste of water?".
Not flushing away wee every time is not a hygiene issue. Poo, yes, and
you do not want to let the paper build up or you will get a clog, but
wee is fine to sit.
That's an opinion, rather than a fact. The depth of one's sense of
hygiene depends on a number of learned attitudes and responses.
Yellow
2018-12-04 21:29:18 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Yellow
Post by JNugent
Post by Yellow
Just read this article which states - "There is no choice of water
company - so she says it means trying to cut down on consumption, such
as flushing the toilet less often."
Dunno about everyone else but I only flush my loo a few times a day as
doing otherwise - regardless of the cost of water - is an appalling
waste of resource.
So it has left me pondering the question.... given the women in the
article thinks water should be cheap enough to waste, is that in fact
exactly the argument for why it should not be that cheap?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46431480
"Is basic hygiene a waste of water?".
Not flushing away wee every time is not a hygiene issue. Poo, yes, and
you do not want to let the paper build up or you will get a clog, but
wee is fine to sit.
That's an opinion, rather than a fact.
No it isn't and if you are hydrated little actual urine is released and
further, flushing, unless you drop the lid, can in any case be
unhygienic as it spreads particles into the air.

Google it - you might learn stuff. :-)
Post by JNugent
The depth of one's sense of
hygiene depends on a number of learned attitudes and responses.
hygiene

noun
conditions or practices conducive to maintaining health and preventing
disease, especially through cleanliness.
JNugent
Er...quite so.
kat
2018-12-04 22:49:47 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Yellow
Just read this article which states - "There is no choice of water
company - so she says it means trying to cut down on consumption, such
as flushing the toilet less often."
Dunno about everyone else but I only flush my loo a few times a day as
doing otherwise - regardless of the cost of water - is an appalling
waste of resource.
So it has left me pondering the question.... given the women in the
article thinks water should be cheap enough to waste, is that in fact
exactly the argument for why it should not be that cheap?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46431480
"Is basic hygiene a waste of water?".
Not flushing away wee every time is not a hygiene issue. Poo, yes, and
you do not want to let the paper build up or you will get a clog, but
wee is fine to sit.
As they used to say, if it's Yellow, let it mellow. :-)
--
kat
^..^<
Yellow
:-D
JNugent
Yes, I saw that film too. That bit was unnecessarily gross.
kat
2018-12-05 08:38:20 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by kat
Post by Yellow
Post by JNugent
Post by Yellow
[...]
It's just a Save Water slogan that has been around for years. There's a film?
What is it ( then I can avoid it! )?
--
kat
^..^<
JNugent
2018-12-05 15:09:04 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by kat
Post by Yellow
Post by JNugent
Post by Yellow
[...]
It was one of the Fokkers series of comedies with Dustin Hoffman and
Robert de Niro. Probably "Meet The Fokkers".
kat
2018-12-05 23:08:02 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by kat
Post by Yellow
Post by JNugent
Post by Yellow
[...]
Ok, I've seen that movie but if it's in there it passed me by!
--
kat
^..^<
JNugent
2018-12-05 23:31:47 UTC
Post by kat
Post by JNugent
Post by kat
Post by JNugent
Post by kat
Post by Yellow
Post by JNugent
Post by Yellow
[...]
It was the one in the series where one of the families hosted the other
at some sort of holiday home or cabin.
kat
2018-12-05 23:58:57 UTC
Post by kat
Post by JNugent
Post by kat
Post by Yellow
Post by JNugent
Post by Yellow
[...]
Possibly Meet the Parents.
--
kat
^..^<
Yellow
Yes - you are right, it was that one.
Yellow
Ah - I know exactly what you are referring to now. A funny film. :-)
FMurtz
2018-12-06 09:31:07 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Yellow
Just read this article which states - "There is no choice of water
company - so she says it means trying to cut down on consumption, such
as flushing the toilet less often."
Dunno about everyone else but I only flush my loo a few times a day as
doing otherwise - regardless of the cost of water - is an appalling
waste of resource.
So it has left me pondering the question.... given the women in the
article thinks water should be cheap enough to waste, is that in fact
exactly the argument for why it should not be that cheap?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46431480
"Is basic hygiene a waste of water?".
Not flushing away wee every time is not a hygiene issue. Poo, yes, and
you do not want to let the paper build up or you will get a clog, but
wee is fine to sit.
If it is yellow,leave it mellow, if it is brown, flush it down.

Martin Brown
2018-12-04 09:01:45 UTC
Just read this article which states - "There is no choice of water
company - so she says it means trying to cut down on consumption, such
as flushing the toilet less often."
It isn't the only option. You can save the runoff water from the roof
for that sort of purpose and also for gardening where it is superior.

My house in Belgium actually had a massive undferground storage facility
for rainwater built in by design. Here I just have a few big rainwater
barrels for the garden. I don't bother to run a separate grey water
system in the house but in countries where potable water is a rare and
valuable resource they do.
Post by Yellow
Dunno about everyone else but I only flush my loo a few times a day as
doing otherwise - regardless of the cost of water - is an appalling
waste of resource.
I live in Northumbria water region where it would be pretty difficult to
deplete Kielder water even if everyone left a tap on. I'm not sure they
even bother to look for leaks unless a road caves in. It was designed to
fulfill all the cooling needs of the Middlesbrough iron & stell industry
and the last of them closed a couple of years back.
Post by Yellow
So it has left me pondering the question.... given the women in the
article thinks water should be cheap enough to waste, is that in fact
exactly the argument for why it should not be that cheap?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46431480
Water in the South of England will become an increaisngly rare commodity
as climate change begins to bite.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
R. Mark Clayton
2018-12-04 10:34:12 UTC
Post by Yellow
Dunno about everyone else but I only flush my loo a few times a day as
doing otherwise - regardless of the cost of water - is an appalling
waste of resource.
I live in Northumbria water region where it would be pretty difficult to
deplete Kielder water even if everyone left a tap on. I'm not sure they
even bother to look for leaks unless a road caves in.
Similar here in the North West. UU didn't impose a drought order until mid August (and mainly so they could reduce pressure, due to lower reservoirs giving a lower head) and must have been coining it as more affluent households ran sprinklers and hoses.

https://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/16439180.drought-permits-issued-today-for-windermere-and-scales-borehole/

https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/209649/united-utilities-first-half-earnings-jump-boosted-by-lower-costs-and-regulator-incentives-209649.html
Post by Yellow
So it has left me pondering the question.... given the women in the
article thinks water should be cheap enough to waste, is that in fact
exactly the argument for why it should not be that cheap?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46431480
Water in the South of England will become an increasingly rare commodity
Martin Brown
Paul Cummins
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
So it has left me pondering the question.... given the women in the
article thinks water should be cheap enough to waste, is that in
fact exactly the argument for why it should not be that cheap?
Water is recyclable, almost infinetely so. We have had water recycling
processes in place for hundreds of years, in one form or another.

As such, if someone wants to leave the tap on, this is not wasting water
as much as wasting the resources involved in cleaning the water again.
--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
Yellow
2018-12-04 14:11:35 UTC
Post by Paul Cummins
Post by Yellow
So it has left me pondering the question.... given the women in the
article thinks water should be cheap enough to waste, is that in
fact exactly the argument for why it should not be that cheap?
Water is recyclable, almost infinetely so. We have had water recycling
processes in place for hundreds of years, in one form or another.
As such, if someone wants to leave the tap on, this is not wasting water
as much as wasting the resources involved in cleaning the water again.
Your theory works well until it falls more from the sky elsewhere than
where you live.
R. Mark Clayton
2018-12-04 10:26:46 UTC
Just read this article which states - "There is no choice of water
company - so she says it means trying to cut down on consumption, such
as flushing the toilet less often."
Dunno about everyone else but I only flush my loo a few times a day as
doing otherwise - regardless of the cost of water - is an appalling
waste of resource.
So it has left me pondering the question.... given the women in the
article thinks water should be cheap enough to waste, is that in fact
exactly the argument for why it should not be that cheap?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46431480
If you read elsewhere you will find she had a massive leak and her water co. let her off £500 of it.

Interestingly when I was a kid in Scotland [decades ago] IIRC you were entitled to a supply for one tap and one toilet cistern free, after that you paid.
Yellow
2018-12-04 14:05:15 UTC
Just read this article which states - "There is no choice of water
company - so she says it means trying to cut down on consumption, such
as flushing the toilet less often."
Dunno about everyone else but I only flush my loo a few times a day as
doing otherwise - regardless of the cost of water - is an appalling
waste of resource.
So it has left me pondering the question.... given the women in the
article thinks water should be cheap enough to waste, is that in fact
exactly the argument for why it should not be that cheap?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46431480
If you read elsewhere you will find she had a massive leak and her water co. let her off £500 of it.
I read the whole article and does not detract from my point.

But what you bring up is interesting as my water company will let you
off the whole sum - once. But further, if she had even basic house
insurance, that would most likely have covered the entire cost of her
water loss, so who can be sure what to believe.
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Interestingly when I was a kid in Scotland [decades ago] IIRC you were entitled to a supply for one tap and one toilet cistern free, after that you paid.
Here, it has always been water rates until they fitted everyone with a
meter.