Advice Please - Bailiffs Again!
Steve Freestone
2004-09-19 19:22:23 UTC
Hi

My Electricity supplier has, for reasons only they know about, decided
to get the Bailiffs onto me.

My account is paid monthly by direct debit and has been since I
started it with them. The company tell me that my account with them
is 'impeccable' and that there are no other accounts in my name or my
addresses name.

I had a visit from a bailiff who was down right rude to start with and
refused him all entry. He then threatened that he would come round
next time 'mob handed'. I contacted the supplier - Virgin Home Energy
- who told me that they didnt know the reason why the company had sent
round the bailiffs but that there must have been a good reason for
them to do so. Yes, thats exactly what they said.

What do I do? I thought bailiffs could only act on a court order. Do
I let them in or what? Have my electricity supplier broken the Data
Protection Act or some other act by telling the bailiff company -
Richburns who are based in Barking (ironically) - that my account is
in debit?

Theres no point calling the Police as they constantly act in the
bailiffs favour.

Any advice would be gladly taken at the moment!

Obviously I am working on the one about getting a new supplier....
Peter Crosland
2004-09-19 19:56:46 UTC
Under no circumstances let them in. Talk to them through the letterbox (Not
an open window) and do call the police if they come mob handed.
{FireArm}
2004-09-19 20:55:40 UTC
Post by Peter Crosland
Under no circumstances let them in. Talk to them through the letterbox (Not
an open window) and do call the police if they come mob handed.
Same as TV License "officers" mate, they will try every trick + bluff in the
book, and make it sound like they have the power to enter your house, the
only time they can enter is when you invite them in - talk to the through
the letter box, as soon as you open the door they will pressure you to let
them in. One come around mine once (was a mistake) but you should have heard
one bloke as if he was part some elite police team "we'll be back with a
warrant!" - trying to scare me - i said until then your not coming in!

Thanx
{FireArm}
Phil
2004-09-20 07:42:05 UTC
Post by Steve Freestone
[...]
Send a firm letter to the Bailiff Company and Virgin advising them
that it is a criminal offence under the administration of Justice Act
(Google will help) to harass someone for debts which are not owed and
that you will seek an injunction against them if they ever come back.
Also tell them you will not engage in any further spoken
communication.#
Bailiffs are on comission and so will not want to waste time on
selling pro[perty if they are not 100% sure that ther debt exists.
Also fiind out which court authorised the warrant
HTH Phil
Steve Freestone
2004-09-20 12:42:21 UTC
Post by Phil
Send a firm letter to the Bailiff Company and Virgin advising them
that it is a criminal offence under the administration of Justice Act
(Google will help) to harass someone for debts which are not owed and
that you will seek an injunction against them if they ever come back.
Thanks for that - that bit has done the trick so far!

They were not expecting that.

TimB
2004-09-20 11:23:33 UTC
Post by Steve Freestone
[...]
If they turn up again, ask to see some ID and any documentation they
are carrying to enforce the debt (through the letterbox or door
chain). Assuming they give you anything, tell them you have spoken to
your electricity company and they confirm that they have not given
instruction to any debt collection firms. Therefore, the documents you
have will be handed over to the police for their investigation. If
they do not leave peacefully, call the police and report a bogus debt
collector attempting to gain access. If they leave peacefully, call in
at your local station within a day or two and hand the card in there,
explaining the situation.

If you do open the door inadvertently, and the bailiff attempts to put
a "foot in the door", the correct response is "I have not invited you
into my house. Remove your foot now, or I will call the police" If he
refuses, press your home alarm panic button, and call for help. If you
have a phone within reach, or can call to someone who does, diall 999
and tell them that a man has his foot in your door and is trying to
force entry. If he transpires to be genuine, be sure to take his
details and make a formal complaint to his employer and the authority
who grants his license.

IANAL, but the company the bailiff claims to represent has no
knowledge of a debt. IMO, that gives you more than enough grounds to
be suspicious that this person could well be bogus, and justifies your
using any legal resources at your disposal to defend yourself against
him. A legitimate bailiff will suffer no more than the inconvenience
of being unable to work for a few days until his ID is returned. This
is not your problem, and any lost pay is an issue for the bailiff to
take up with his employer, since they instructed him incorrectly.
However if the bailiff is bogus, the police need to be alerted before
they try it on with someone who has a reason to expect bailiffs.