Rees-Mogg
2019-07-25 10:16:30 UTC
Although I disagree with his political views, Jacob Rees-Mogg is
excellent in the role of Leader of the House, as I saw on the live
Parliament channel at "Business Questions" this morning. I think that
means business of the House of Commons, not business in the nation.

Witty, unfailingly courteous and considerate, an expert in Parliamentary
procedure and definitely the best appointment that Boris has made. I
wonder if his LBC show will continue?
Yellow
2019-07-25 11:29:38 UTC
Although I disagree with his political views, Jacob Rees-Mogg is
excellent in the role of Leader of the House, as I saw on the live
Parliament channel at "Business Questions" this morning. I think that
means business of the House of Commons, not business in the nation.
Witty, unfailingly courteous and considerate, an expert in Parliamentary
procedure and definitely the best appointment that Boris has made. I
wonder if his LBC show will continue?
What does the leader of the house actually do?

Meanwhile, I was reading in one of the papers that Gove's role, and he
has been given one of the 'minster without portfolio' type jobs, is to
get all department prepared for a no-deal Brexit.

While I have been extremely disappointed in Gove's slithering behaviour
over the last year, he is never-the-less an extremely bright man so I do
think that is probably a decent appointment also.

But I have so little trust in the words of politicians, now at an all
time low for me, I am trying not to get sucked in. But difficult when
two of my top issues, Brexit and social care, were named as Boris's top
issues also.
The Todal
2019-07-25 11:47:49 UTC
Although I disagree with his political views, Jacob Rees-Mogg is
excellent in the role of Leader of the House, as I saw on the live
Parliament channel at "Business Questions" this morning. I think that
means business of the House of Commons, not business in the nation.
Witty, unfailingly courteous and considerate, an expert in Parliamentary
procedure and definitely the best appointment that Boris has made. I
wonder if his LBC show will continue?
What does the leader of the house actually do?
Deciding which parliamentary bills should be put before the House and in
what order, and how much time to devote to backbench bills. If that's an
accurate paraphrase.

It was said to him that he was expected to represent the wishes of the
Commons when he reports to Cabinet, rather than to represent the wishes
of government when he reports to the Commons. He accepted that. But he
made it very clear that resolutions by MPs (eg on whether or not a
no-deal Brexit is acceptable to the House) do not in any way affect the
statutes passed by the House, so he believes we are set to leave the EU
on 31st October and no resolution will alter that, unless it takes the
form of a statute. It is no part of his duties to ask government to
implement Commons resolutions. And he has the power to decide which
draft statutes are given parliamentary time.
Post by Yellow
Meanwhile, I was reading in one of the papers that Gove's role, and he
has been given one of the 'minster without portfolio' type jobs, is to
get all department prepared for a no-deal Brexit.
While I have been extremely disappointed in Gove's slithering behaviour
over the last year, he is never-the-less an extremely bright man so I do
think that is probably a decent appointment also.
But I have so little trust in the words of politicians, now at an all
time low for me, I am trying not to get sucked in. But difficult when
two of my top issues, Brexit and social care, were named as Boris's top
issues also.
I'd be surprised if all parts of government were able to get ready for a
no-deal Brexit but even if that happens, it's far less likely that all
parts of our nation and our industries can prepare properly for a
no-deal Brexit.

I think Theresa's deal will become increasingly attractive in the coming
weeks. It would have to be repackaged as Boris's Deal.
Yellow
2019-07-25 12:52:09 UTC
Although I disagree with his political views, Jacob Rees-Mogg is
excellent in the role of Leader of the House, as I saw on the live
Parliament channel at "Business Questions" this morning. I think that
means business of the House of Commons, not business in the nation.
Witty, unfailingly courteous and considerate, an expert in Parliamentary
procedure and definitely the best appointment that Boris has made. I
wonder if his LBC show will continue?
What does the leader of the house actually do?
Deciding which parliamentary bills should be put before the House and in
what order, and how much time to devote to backbench bills. If that's an
accurate paraphrase.
OK - thanks. And yes, that does sound to be up JRM's street.
Post by The Todal
It was said to him that he was expected to represent the wishes of the
Commons when he reports to Cabinet, rather than to represent the wishes
of government when he reports to the Commons. He accepted that. But he
made it very clear that resolutions by MPs (eg on whether or not a
no-deal Brexit is acceptable to the House) do not in any way affect the
statutes passed by the House, so he believes we are set to leave the EU
on 31st October and no resolution will alter that, unless it takes the
form of a statute. It is no part of his duties to ask government to
implement Commons resolutions. And he has the power to decide which
draft statutes are given parliamentary time.
That is quite a super power.
[...]
I don't think anyone has claimed a no-deal to be disruption free but we
are at were we are at unfortunately.
Post by The Todal
I think Theresa's deal will become increasingly attractive in the coming
weeks. It would have to be repackaged as Boris's Deal.
You are not alone in that opinion and are probably right, but only if
the back stop issue can be resolved.
Tim Jackson
2019-07-25 15:44:37 UTC
On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 13:52:09 +0100, Yellow wrote...
I think Theresa's deal will become increasingly attractive in the coming
weeks. It would have to be repackaged as Boris's Deal.
You are not alone in that opinion and are probably right, but only if
the back stop issue can be resolved.
IIRC, the backstop was the solution to the EU's initial proposal, which
would effectively have put the border down the middle of the Irish Sea
and kept Northern Ireland subject to EU rules.

Of course, Theresa May needed parliamentary support from the DUP, who
would never have agreed to that. The backstop was the resulting
compromise.

Didn't the EU originally propose that the backstop need only apply to
Northern Ireland? But again, the DUP wouldn't have agreed. So Theresa
May insisted that it had to cover the whole country. Otherwise she saw
that she wouldn't have a majority to get it through Parliament.

But that made her problem worse, not better, because she lost the
support of a lot of Tories, not just the DUP.

Boris is telling us he can find an alternative way, but no-one
(including him apparently) has any clue what it might be.

From the EU's point of view, the Single Market is the cornerstone of
what they are. It relies on strict border controls at all the external
boundaries of the EU, so that there don't need to be any restrictions at
the internal borders. All the EU member states need to be able to trust
the others to police those external borders.

But if there is a leaky land border between Northern Ireland and the
Republic, that trust breaks down because the Irish won't be able to
police it.

I think Boris and other Brexiters have failed to understand that this is
what makes the EU tick. To them, it's an existential problem, and they
already have a solution (a border down the Irisn Sea). Or failing that,
a backstop which has to be guaranteed until such time as a better
solution is agreed.

And to the EU, finding a solution which satisfies them is Boris's job
because it's us that wants to leave without either of the solutions
they've proposed.

Which he's never going to do if he doesn't even understand where they
are coming from. Especially when he's promising that we leave on 31st
October, do or die, so there isn't even going to be a transition period
to work on it.
--
Tim Jackson
***@timjackson.invalid
(Change '.invalid' to '.plus.com' to reply direct)
tim...
2019-08-10 15:15:09 UTC
Post by Tim Jackson
[...]
From the EU's point of view, the Single Market is the cornerstone of
what they are. It relies on strict border controls at all the external
boundaries of the EU, so that there don't need to be any restrictions at
the internal borders. All the EU member states need to be able to trust
the others to police those external borders.
the problem with that solution is that:

we can't trust the others

and we also can't trust the others to make sure that products from their own
jurisdiction comply with SM rules (and for anyone who thinks that they can,
I have two words for you - Horse Meat)

so as an internal policy it's a failure

so insisting it is the solution to the Irish Border problem is pointless

IMHO

2019-07-25 13:15:37 UTC
I think Theresa's deal will become increasingly attractive in the coming
weeks. It would have to be repackaged as Boris's Deal.
In which case it would need to be completely re-written and agreed with
the EU.

A bit unlikely I'd have thought.
The Todal
2019-07-25 15:32:07 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by The Todal
I think Theresa's deal will become increasingly attractive in the
coming weeks. It would have to be repackaged as Boris's Deal.
In which case it would need to be completely re-written and agreed with
the EU.
A bit unlikely I'd have thought.
I have now watched Boris's speech in the Commons today, and he has
rejected Theresa May's deal so firmly and unequivocally that it would
take some chutzpah to tinker with it and pretend that he had an entirely
better deal.

Still, if it's the best deal he can manage to get, he can probably
persuade his fellow cabinet members to back it.
nightjar
2019-07-26 08:19:47 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by The Todal
I think Theresa's deal will become increasingly attractive in the
coming weeks. It would have to be repackaged as Boris's Deal.
In which case it would need to be completely re-written and agreed
with the EU.
A bit unlikely I'd have thought.
I have now watched Boris's speech in the Commons today, and he has
rejected Theresa May's deal so firmly and unequivocally that it would
take some chutzpah to tinker with it and pretend that he had an entirely
better deal.
Still, if it's the best deal he can manage to get, he can probably
persuade his fellow cabinet members to back it.
I think the EU representatives have got it right when they say he is
setting out to fail and to blame the failure on the EU.
Colin Bignell
MM
2019-07-25 11:59:16 UTC
Although I disagree with his political views, Jacob Rees-Mogg is
excellent in the role of Leader of the House, as I saw on the live
Parliament channel at "Business Questions" this morning. I think that
means business of the House of Commons, not business in the nation.
Witty, unfailingly courteous and considerate, an expert in Parliamentary
procedure and definitely the best appointment that Boris has made. I
wonder if his LBC show will continue?
Rees-Mogg was looking decidedly uncomfortable alongside the new PM on
the front bench as Boris was giving his very excitable response to
Jeremy Corbyn's statement. Quite OTT, I thought. (Boris, I mean.)

Tellingly, the PM did not respond to the Leader of the Opposition when
the question of the death penalty was mentioned. At one stage in the
past, Priti Patel supported it, but she now says she's changed her
mind. Yeah, right.

MM
Pamela
2019-07-25 12:29:56 UTC
Although I disagree with his political views, Jacob Rees-Mogg is
excellent in the role of Leader of the House, as I saw on the live
Parliament channel at "Business Questions" this morning. I think that
means business of the House of Commons, not business in the nation.
Witty, unfailingly courteous and considerate, an expert in Parliamentary
procedure and definitely the best appointment that Boris has made. I
wonder if his LBC show will continue?
Jacob Rees-Mogg may have managed to stay hidden behind his 18th century
demeanour without ever getting rumbled -- except that he's made outlandish
and factually inaccurate claims about Brexit.

JRM comes over as entirely plausible but the truth is different.
Grikboxer®™
And of course you know better than he does, slag.
Peeler
2019-07-25 14:45:45 UTC
On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 06:53:27 -0700, clinically insane, pedophilic, serbian
Post by Grikboxer®™
Post by Pamela
Jacob Rees-Mogg may have managed to stay hidden behind his 18th century
demeanour without ever getting rumbled -- except that he's made outlandish
and factually inaccurate claims about Brexit.
And of course you know better than he does, slag.
She certainly knows better than YOU, pedophilic dreckserb!
"Isn't it time that paedophiles were admitted to the LGBTQ rainbow?
Now that every other sexual deviation seems to have been accommodated?"
MID: <Y8LUE.513827$***@usenetxs.com>
Ian Jackson
2019-07-26 18:38:02 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by The Todal
Although I disagree with his political views, Jacob Rees-Mogg is
excellent in the role of Leader of the House, as I saw on the live
Parliament channel at "Business Questions" this morning. I think that
means business of the House of Commons, not business in the nation.
Witty, unfailingly courteous and considerate, an expert in Parliamentary
procedure and definitely the best appointment that Boris has made. I
wonder if his LBC show will continue?
Jacob Rees-Mogg may have managed to stay hidden behind his 18th century
demeanour without ever getting rumbled -- except that he's made outlandish
and factually inaccurate claims about Brexit.
JRM comes over as entirely plausible but the truth is different.
I have a feeling that his LBC spot tonight may have been his last. He
seemed rather subdued, and at the start, he pointed out that as he now
held a government post, he was no longer getting paid for his radio
appearances. He also said that he was more constrained to conform to
Government policy (having been, IIRC, sometimes a fierce critic).
Ian
tim...

Peter Percival
2019-07-25 17:25:19 UTC
Although I disagree with his political views, Jacob Rees-Mogg is
excellent in the role of Leader of the House, as I saw on the live
Parliament channel at "Business Questions" this morning. I think that
means business of the House of Commons, not business in the nation.
I agree, Toady!
Post by The Todal
Witty, unfailingly courteous and considerate, an expert in Parliamentary
procedure and definitely the best appointment that Boris has made. I
wonder if his LBC show will continue?
--
"He who will not reason is a bigot;
he who cannot is a fool;
- Sir William Drummond
Ian Jackson
2019-07-26 16:03:53 UTC
Although I disagree with his political views, Jacob Rees-Mogg is
excellent in the role of Leader of the House, as I saw on the live
Parliament channel at "Business Questions" this morning. I think that
means business of the House of Commons, not business in the nation.
Witty, unfailingly courteous and considerate, an expert in
Parliamentary procedure and definitely the best appointment that Boris
has made. I wonder if his LBC show will continue?
He's certainly going to be on this evening. Although I like listening to
him (and also Nigel Farage), I do wonder about the neutrality of LBC
when it allows actual full-time career politicians so much regular air
time to use their phone-in programmes as party-political broadcasts.
Ian
R. Mark Clayton
2019-07-28 19:43:42 UTC
Although I disagree with his political views, Jacob Rees-Mogg is
excellent in the role of Leader of the House, as I saw on the live
Parliament channel at "Business Questions" this morning. I think that
means business of the House of Commons, not business in the nation.
Witty, unfailingly courteous and considerate, an expert in Parliamentary
procedure and definitely the best appointment that Boris has made. I
wonder if his LBC show will continue?
Oh his latest one is insisting on 18th C. Imperial units (rods, poles perches, bushels, quarters, nautical miles etc.) instead of long adopted metric ones.

I wonder if he we be insisting on Imperial papers sizes rather than the immensely sensible A series. The use of irregular US letter size is still a big PITA in the states.
The Todal
2019-07-28 23:07:40 UTC
Although I disagree with his political views, Jacob Rees-Mogg is
excellent in the role of Leader of the House, as I saw on the live
Parliament channel at "Business Questions" this morning. I think that
means business of the House of Commons, not business in the nation.
Witty, unfailingly courteous and considerate, an expert in Parliamentary
procedure and definitely the best appointment that Boris has made. I
wonder if his LBC show will continue?
Oh his latest one is insisting on 18th C. Imperial units (rods, poles perches, bushels, quarters, nautical miles etc.) instead of long adopted metric ones.
I wonder if he we be insisting on Imperial papers sizes rather than the immensely sensible A series. The use of irregular US letter size is still a big PITA in the states.
We should bring back foolscap. It would perfectly symbolise Boris
Johnson's regime.