On Tories taking the piss
Arfur
2015-02-26 20:38:09 UTC
This one actually lives in France!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-31636846
Yellow
2015-02-26 21:20:31 UTC
Post by Arfur
This one actually lives in France!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-31636846
I see your tory and raise you one Caroline Lucas who used to live in
Brussels despite representing people in Brighton.
Judith
2015-02-26 21:58:23 UTC
Post by Arfur
This one actually lives in France!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-31636846
As you say: taking the piss:

Last financial year she claimed her attendance allowance of £10,000 along with
£476 travelling and subsistence expenses and a carer's allowance of £195.

Her attendance record has not yet been disclosed by the authority.

Perhaps she is in training to become a Tory MP.
n***@gmail.com
2015-02-27 10:09:12 UTC
Post by Arfur
This one actually lives in France!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-31636846
Last financial year she claimed her attendance allowance of Ł10,000 along with
Ł476 travelling and subsistence expenses and a carer's allowance of Ł195.
Her attendance record has not yet been disclosed by the authority.
You can easily look it up by check the minutes of the meetings she was supposed to attend.
Perhaps she is in training to become a Tory MP.
At least this one spends 25% of her time in her ward.

Here in Manchester we had a Labour councillor (the late Val Done) who had retired to Spain. IIRC she only made two trips a year so as to avoid loss of office under the six month rule.
John
2015-02-26 22:10:21 UTC
Post by Arfur
This one actually lives in France!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-31636846
In the days when I was a councillor, one had to live within the area
governed by the local authority of which one was a member.

John.
JNugent
2015-02-27 01:44:16 UTC
Post by John
In the days when I was a councillor, one had to live within the area
governed by the local authority of which one was a member.
Are you sure?

For donkey's years now, the rule has been:

(a) one is on the electoral roll in a ward of the local authority for
which one seeks election OR

(b) one works at an address within that local authority OR

(c) one has a property qualification within the local government area.

See (for instance) the eligibility criteria for Lichfield Council
(chosen as a neutral example):

<http://www.lichfielddc.gov.uk/info/200033/about_councillors_and_becoming_a_councillor/590/becoming_a_councillor/2>

I know someone who was a borough councillor for years - even becoming
the mayor - without ever living in the borough in question. Their
qualification was that they both worked in the borough and owned
property there. They were, of course, never on the electoral register of
the town.

For county councils, one can qualify by any of the three methods listed
above for district councils.

The qualification rules for parish council candidates are slightly
different, in that a candidate has to live within the parish OR not more
than a certain distance (quite short - only a few miles) outside its
boundary. That is actually tighter, geographically speaking, than the
rules for borough or county council candidates.
John
2015-02-27 11:57:07 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by John
In the days when I was a councillor, one had to live within the area
governed by the local authority of which one was a member.
Are you sure?
(a) one is on the electoral roll in a ward of the local authority for
which one seeks election OR
(b) one works at an address within that local authority OR
(c) one has a property qualification within the local government area.
On reflection I'm not completely certain, but I served (and lived) in a
rural council area near Hull and although I worked in Hull at the time I was
told I would not qualify to serve on the City Council.

John.
JNugent
2015-02-27 17:13:12 UTC
Post by John
Post by JNugent
Post by John
In the days when I was a councillor, one had to live within the area
governed by the local authority of which one was a member.
Are you sure?
(a) one is on the electoral roll in a ward of the local authority for
which one seeks election OR
(b) one works at an address within that local authority OR
(c) one has a property qualification within the local government area.
On reflection I'm not completely certain, but I served (and lived) in a
rural council area near Hull and although I worked in Hull at the time I was
told I would not qualify to serve on the City Council.
If your place of work was inside the city boundary, you could have stood
as a candidate.
John
2015-02-27 17:20:54 UTC
Post by JNugent
If your place of work was inside the city boundary, you could have stood
as a candidate.
Thank you; I'm more than happy to take your word for that.

John.