Germany's soldiers forced to use BROOMSTICK for a gun
2018-07-10 20:33:47 UTC
They have plenty of money for the "invaders"

LAUGHING STOCK
Germany's soldiers forced to use BROOMSTICK for a gun as Donald Trump blasts
Angela Merkel over NATO spending
The highly embarrassing episode, revealed in a leaked report, is just the
beginning of the country's woes as it fights to reverse chronic army
shortages

Nato exercise, pictured

It comes as Donald Trump has vowed to make Chancellor Angela Merkel increase
her defence spending to reach the minimum spending obligations all Nato
members must adhere to.

General Harald Kujat, a former chief of staff of the German armed forces,
later described it as a "huge embarrassment".

The unit was supposed to be ready to deploy whenever a Nato member was
threatened, he warned.

He added: "If that is not the case, then both for Nato, and for the Federal
Republic of Germany, this is a huge embarrassment," The Telegraph reported.

And a spokesperson for the Defence Ministry stated: "In the case of the
Boxer armoured vehicle, it was being used as a mobile headquarters, and a
weapon is not foreseen and not necessary for a mobile headquarters.

"It was not a fighting vehicle. So we have no explanation why the soldiers
would simulate a weapon."

In 2015 it also emerged the German military was using ordinary civilian
Mercedes vans as stand-ins for armoured personnel carriers.

And The Times today reports all six of the country's submarines were
recently put out of service at the same time due to various repairs.

Andreas Krause, the German navy's inspector, said: "It does not frustrate me
but it is very annoying.

"At the same time I say that this unfortunate development is the inevitable
consequence of the last 25 years.

"Extreme savings were made on spare parts procurement and capacities in
naval shipbuilding were shut down."

The paper added that there have been times recently when the country has not
a single A400M transport plane available for use.

And in May the Luftwaffe had only four Eurofighter jets available from a
total of 128 because of missile and coolant shortages.

GERMANY'S military is so underfunded its troops used BROOMSTICKS painted
black as mock weapons during a Nato defence exercise.

But the highly embarrassing episode, revealed in a leaked report, is just
the beginning of the country's woes as it fights to reverse chronic army
shortages.
R. Mark Clayton
2018-07-11 10:48:30 UTC
Post by BurfordTJustice
They have plenty of money for the "invaders"
LAUGHING STOCK
Germany's soldiers forced to use BROOMSTICK for a gun as Donald Trump blasts
Angela Merkel over NATO spending
The highly embarrassing episode, revealed in a leaked report, is just the
beginning of the country's woes as it fights to reverse chronic army
shortages
Plus ca change. My dad volunteered for the RAF during the Battle of Britain, but was not allowed to fly (eyesight), so he was put building aerodromes [from 1941] because he had a driving license. The squad guarding the first one he was sent to had three rifles between them and the rest had pick axe handles...

Hundreds of thousands of weapons had been abandoned at Dunkirk. We soon made more and the US lent us some...