Police priorities
Add Reply
Incubus
2020-09-16 15:34:34 UTC
"A Wetherspoons punter who ordered a banana to a black customer's table using
the pub's mobile app has been convicted of a racist hate crime and made to pay
£1,200."

[...]

"Following a 'painstaking' investigation to identify and track down the
culprit, Kincella was arrested at his home and convicted of a racially
aggravated offence."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8738439/Wetherspoons-customer-convicted-ordering-banana-black-mans-table.html

What he did was wrong but does the punishment really fit the crime? Is the
offence so severe that such a painstaking investigation was in the public
interest? I would like to think that more serious crimes were not neglected in
favour of finding the culprit but I am not very confident that this is so.
Col
2020-09-16 16:59:57 UTC
Post by Incubus
"A Wetherspoons punter who ordered a banana to a black customer's table using
the pub's mobile app has been convicted of a racist hate crime and made to pay
£1,200."
[...]
"Following a 'painstaking' investigation to identify and track down the
culprit, Kincella was arrested at his home and convicted of a racially
aggravated offence."
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8738439/Wetherspoons-customer-convicted-ordering-banana-black-mans-table.html
What he did was wrong but does the punishment really fit the crime? Is the
offence so severe that such a painstaking investigation was in the public
interest? I would like to think that more serious crimes were not neglected in
favour of finding the culprit but I am not very confident that this is so.
"This required a painstaking investigation by my lead officer, who paid
meticulous attention to minor details in order to gather the vital
evidence that led to this successful result."

FFS, it makes it sound like a murder hunt.

If only we could track & trace Covid like this!
Col
Incubus
2020-09-16 17:40:57 UTC
Post by Col
Post by Incubus
[...]
I do wonder how much effort it really took. Surely the app is linked to a bank
card or PayPal account, which will have an address associated with it.
Post by Col
If only we could track & trace Covid like this!
Or devote resources to burglaries, vandalism etc.