Misplayed Brexit hands #5: I like New Zealand lamb
pamela
2018-07-08 10:04:16 UTC
Whatever happened to the claims that we will buy cheap farm produce
from New Zealand and Australia because we're on such good terms with
them and they would never ever, no not ever, sign up a trade agreement
with the EU rather than us?

I mean, we love New Zealand lamb and its much better than all the food
put together from the EU.
BurfordTJustice
2018-07-08 11:29:36 UTC
How about just buy British?

"pamela" <***@gmail.com> wrote in message news:***@81.171.92.183...
: Whatever happened to the claims that we will buy cheap farm produce
: from New Zealand and Australia because we're on such good terms with
: them and they would never ever, no not ever, sign up a trade agreement
: with the EU rather than us?
:
: I mean, we love New Zealand lamb and its much better than all the food
: put together from the EU.
R. Mark Clayton
2018-07-08 15:03:30 UTC
Post by BurfordTJustice
How about just buy British?
In the case of lamb, Welsh spring lamb is way too fatty, rather bland meat and ridiculously over-priced. New Zealand lamb by contrast is lean, flavoursome and even after tariffs much more affordable. You can of course buy grass fed English lamb, e.g. Herdwick, but the price will make you weep.
: put together from the EU.
Norman Wells
2018-07-08 16:23:13 UTC
Post by BurfordTJustice
How about just buy British?
In the case of lamb, Welsh spring lamb is way too fatty, rather bland meat and ridiculously over-priced. New Zealand lamb by contrast is lean, flavoursome and even after tariffs much more affordable. You can of course buy grass fed English lamb, e.g. Herdwick, but the price will make you weep.
So, when we are allowed to import it tariff free, New Zealand lamb will
be even cheaper and better value.

Another good reason to leave the EU then. Thanks for that!
pensive hamster
2018-07-08 17:10:51 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by BurfordTJustice
How about just buy British?
In the case of lamb, Welsh spring lamb is way too fatty, rather bland meat and ridiculously over-priced. New Zealand lamb by contrast is lean, flavoursome and even after tariffs much more affordable. You can of course buy grass fed English lamb, e.g. Herdwick, but the price will make you weep.
So, when we are allowed to import it tariff free, New Zealand lamb will
be even cheaper and better value.
As far as I can work out, New Zealand lamb is already largely
or entirely tariff free:

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/business/307229/brexit-nz-beef-up,-or-sacrificial-lamb
'... New Zealand has a quota of 280,000 tonnes of sheep meat
access to the EU which comes tariff free - with half of that being
taken into the UK.
------------------------------------
http://beefandlambmatters.blogspot.com/2013/07/why-uk-imports-lamb-from-new-zealand.html
'While the UK is technically self sufficient in sheep meat, we
continue to import large quantities, primarily from New Zealand.

'In 2012, for example, the UK imported 86,100 tonnes product
weight of sheep meat, 73 per cent of which came from New
Zealand. During the same period the UK exported 94,700 tonnes.

'A question we’re often asked though is, ‘if we’re self sufficient,
why does the UK import so much sheep meat?’ The reasons
are numerous and complex but can broadly split into four areas
– historic, market, seasonal and economic. ...'

------------------------------------

So it looks as though our lamb imports may be within the
tariff free quota, going by the above figures (with the proviso
that the two reports are 3 years apart).

Unless most of the "sheep meat" imported is elderly mutton
for dog food, but it doesn't seem to make much sense for
NZ farmers to do that, if they could get more for their lamb.
BurfordTJustice

BurfordTJustice
2018-07-08 17:11:46 UTC
"Norman Wells" <***@unseen.ac.am> wrote in message news:***@mid.individual.net...
: On 08/07/2018 16:03, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
: > On Sunday, 8 July 2018 12:29:49 UTC+1, BurfordTJustice wrote:
:
: >> How about just buy British?
: >
BurfordTJustice
: put together from the EU.
Fredxx
2018-07-09 16:13:15 UTC
On 08/07/2018 11:04, pamela wrote:

<snip crap>

Have you considered posting a legal question or provided any true
assistance?
pamela
2018-07-09 16:49:34 UTC
Post by Fredxx
<snip crap>
Have you considered posting a legal question or provided any true
assistance?
Fredxx, how did your friend get along after he seemed to have been told
falsely of a company he was dealing with in liquidation. I gave you
the details but I am not sure if you understood because when I asked
you about it you had nothing to say.

Do you have any further information on what happened?