TUC misleading figures
2018-05-13 11:03:05 UTC
The TUC has issued PR saying the average worker is £24 per week worse off "in real terms" than ten years ago.

Oddly enough the basic rate tax allowance has more or less double in that time from ~£6k to ~£12, saving a full time worker on the minimum wage (£5.63p/hr in 2008, £7.50p now) £24 a week in income tax, so their net pay would increase by that amount.

So are workers really worse off then tens years ago - I don't think so.
BurfordTJustice

Fredxx
2018-05-13 11:32:26 UTC
On 13/05/2018 12:03, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> The TUC has issued PR saying the average worker is £24 per week worse
> off "in real terms" than ten years ago.

A consequence of belonging to the EU and immigration from developing
countries.

> Oddly enough the basic rate tax allowance has more or less double in
> that time from ~£6k to ~£12, saving a full time worker on the minimum
> wage (£5.63p/hr in 2008, £7.50p now) £24 a week in income tax, so
> their net pay would increase by that amount.
>
> So are workers really worse off then tens years ago - I don't think
> so.

Have you heard of inflation?

have you hear or zero pay rises?

You should get out more.

Perhaps it's a Remoaner thing to believe that wages should be at the
statutory minimum wage level.
BurfordTJustice
2018-05-13 12:32:05 UTC
On Sunday, 13 May 2018 12:32:29 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
> On 13/05/2018 12:03, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> > The TUC has issued PR saying the average worker is £24 per week worse
> > off "in real terms" than ten years ago.
>
> A consequence of belonging to the EU and immigration from developing
> countries.
>
> > Oddly enough the basic rate tax allowance has more or less double in
> > that time from ~£6k to ~£12, saving a full time worker on the minimum
> > wage (£5.63p/hr in 2008, £7.50p now) £24 a week in income tax, so
> > their net pay would increase by that amount.
> >
> > So are workers really worse off then tens years ago - I don't think
> > so.
>
> Have you heard of inflation?

Yes.

> have you hear or zero pay rises?

Yes.

> You should get out more.

Even if the TUC figures are right, rather than exaggerated, the reduction in Income Tax equals any real loss in wages.

Nothing to do with Brexit, I simply used minimum wage level because no-one should be getting paid less than that and that even someone on the minimum wage would be paying £24 per week less tax than in 2008 - even if their real gross wage had slipped by £24 per week as claimed by the TUC. In fact since 2008 the minimum wage increased by a third and inflation since then is less than that, so for persons on the minimum wage the TUC assertion about their real wages is false - they have not fallen.
BurfordTJustice
2018-05-13 15:12:02 UTC
On Sunday, 13 May 2018 12:32:29 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
> On 13/05/2018 12:03, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> > The TUC has issued PR saying the average worker is £24 per week worse
> > off "in real terms" than ten years ago.
>
> A consequence of belonging to the EU and immigration from developing
> countries.
>
> > Oddly enough the basic rate tax allowance has more or less double in
> > that time from ~£6k to ~£12, saving a full time worker on the minimum
> > wage (£5.63p/hr in 2008, £7.50p now) £24 a week in income tax, so
> > their net pay would increase by that amount.
> >
> > So are workers really worse off then tens years ago - I don't think
> > so.
>
> Have you heard of inflation?

Yes.

Phi

Just as an observation, my agency secretary got £7p/hr in 1990.
BurfordTJustice