TV License debate 16th October
Add Reply
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-10-11 14:17:29 UTC
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/03/tv_licensing_petition_debate_parliament/
--
Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet -- Napoleon Bonaparte
The Peeler
2017-10-11 16:48:02 UTC
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 15:17:29 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

<FLUSH attention whore's inevitable attention baiting bullshit>
--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic
childhood:

"Because it's fun. I set loads of stuff on fire when I was a kid."

"Yip, as a kid my bedroom was full of stuff from skips. If it was fucked,
we smashed it, if it sort of looked ok, I took it home and repaired it, or
made something else from it. Not just skips, we did break into the village
hall and church and so forth too :-) Gotta love fire exits...."

"When I was 14, there were places in forests where people would leave
magazines for anyone to use."
MID: <***@red.lan>
Paul Pot
2017-10-11 17:25:27 UTC
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/03/tv_licensing_petition_debate_parliament/
I don't want to watch telly but want a telly for PS4. Does anyone know
how I can get to do this and avoid the license fee?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Norman Wells
I think the normal procedure is to go to a shop and hand over some cash.
Paul Pot
2017-10-11 18:44:05 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/03/tv_licensing_petition_debate_parliament/
I don't want to watch telly but want a telly for PS4. Does anyone
know how I can get to do this and avoid the license fee?
I think the normal procedure is to go to a shop and hand over some cash.
Do shut up, Norman.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-10-11 19:22:49 UTC
Post by Paul Pot
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/03/tv_licensing_petition_debate_parliament/
I don't want to watch telly but want a telly for PS4. Does anyone know
how I can get to do this and avoid the license fee?
You don't need a license unless you watch (or record) live TV (as in the last hour, including +1 channels on Sky etc). If you currently have a license, you can apply to be exempt as I have for the last 5 years on the TV Licensing website. Just tick "I only use my TV for DVDs and Playstation", or something like that. I've had a TV Licensing muppet round once to check, but I was out and he just left a card saying "we may try again later", which he didn't. If you're lying to them and will be watching TV, make sure it can't be seen from a window. TV detector vans are a myth, they can't tell unless they see your TV.

Apply here to be exempt:
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence
--
Why do men find it difficult to make eye contact?
Breasts don't have eyes.
The Peeler
2017-10-11 21:14:39 UTC
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 20:22:49 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

<FLUSH idiot's usual sick drivel unread>
--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class
ass hole jerk. ...You fit under unconditional Idiot and should be put in
mental institution.
MID: <VLCdnYC5HK1Z4S3FnZ2dnUU7-***@giganews.com>
--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."
MID: <***@dell3100.workgroup>
Paul Pot
2017-10-11 22:03:55 UTC
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
That's what I don't want, Capita muppets trespassing on PMD Towers,
snooping through my windows etc. I actually don't watch live TV at all.

I do use https://tvplayer.com to watch the news on my PC and use the
telly for PS4. Thanks for the link, I may sack the license fee off,
especially in light of the Savile lies and bullshit propaganda they
spout.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-10-11 22:08:47 UTC
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
They can't or won't bother checking your PC. So long as they can't spot you using a normal TV set to watch live TV, they'll do nothing. Technically I'm not breaking the TV licensing law, as I don't watch live TV, I download films etc on Piratebay, so I'm breaking copyright law, not their silly TV licensing "law".
Barry bit Ben's bum before Betty bumfingered big Bertha's buttocks beside Brian's burning bonfire. -- Ronnie Tompkins, circa 2014.
Paul Pot
2017-10-11 22:12:35 UTC
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
I download anything interesting from Youtube with AVC :) Do I have to
throw the $ky freeview box in the bin?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-10-11 22:24:13 UTC
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
You can't get that much on Youtube. You can get anything on Piratebay. Peerblock and Ultrasurf prevent copyright morons from making complaints to your ISP.
Post by Paul Pot
Do I have to throw the $ky freeview box in the bin?
No, just make sure nobody can see you using it.
Seven wheelchair athletes have been banned from the Paralympics after they tested positive for WD40.
The Peeler
2017-10-11 22:17:48 UTC
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 23:08:47 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

<FLUSH sick idiot's sick drivel>

You ALWAYS find an idiot who will take your baits, eh, Birdbrain? It's
obviously a special "talent" of yours, you filthy sociopathic sow! <BG>

MID: <***@red.lan>
Norman Wells
2017-10-12 08:08:05 UTC
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
If you watch any TV live, the law is that you have to have a TV licence.

And that applies whether you watch it on a TV or on a computer over the
internet.
Paul Pot
2017-10-13 18:38:42 UTC
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
I don't usually watch it live. BBC iPlayer don't actually broadcast
live either, there is a 60 seconds or so delay in streaming. So does
that piss on their chips or what?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Norman Wells
2017-10-13 20:45:14 UTC
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
If you watch *any* TV live, or effectively live, including the news via
tvplayer.com, then you need a TV licence.

If you watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer at any time, whether as live
or not, you need a TV licence.

Can't put it any clearer than that.
Dan S. MacAbre
2017-10-12 09:22:24 UTC
Post by Paul Pot
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/03/tv_licensing_petition_debate_parliament/
I don't want to watch telly but want a telly for PS4. Does anyone know
how I can get to do this and avoid the license fee?
I haven't bought a licence for about five years, and they leave me
alone, apart from the occasional email to go and tell then online that I
don't watch TV (it also includes catch-up things like iPlayer now) any
more, which I don't. I'd say that monitors and TVs are the same thing
now, except that a TV might have a freeview decoder in it. Just make
sure you don't actually connect an aerial to it, if you want to be more
certain of compliance :-)
Paul Pot
2017-10-13 18:42:32 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Paul Pot
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/03/tv_licensing_petition_debate_parliament/
I don't want to watch telly but want a telly for PS4. Does anyone know
how I can get to do this and avoid the license fee?
I haven't bought a licence for about five years, and they leave me
alone, apart from the occasional email to go and tell then online
that I don't watch TV (it also includes catch-up things like iPlayer
now) any more, which I don't. I'd say that monitors and TVs are the
same thing now, except that a TV might have a freeview decoder in it.
Just make sure you don't actually connect an aerial to it, if you
want to be more certain of compliance :-)
To be honest I am more concerned with a private company peering through
the windows of my *private* property. If I remove the implied right of
access to Capita can I physically boot them off PMD Towers or sue them?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Norman Wells
2017-10-13 20:51:47 UTC
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
No-one can stop anyone seeing anything that's on show.

And no, there's no way of 'removing the implied right of access'. If
they come onto your land, and you ask them to leave, then they will be
trespassing, and you will be entitled to remove them using reasonable
force if they don't. But by then of course it will be too late.

You will also be entitled to sue them for damages, but you won't have
suffered any.
Jeff
2017-10-14 09:36:25 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
And no, there's no way of 'removing the implied right of access'.
That is not correct, it has been done but writing to the BBC and Capita
etc specifically prohibiting access by their employees or agents.

Now of course what happens if that is ignored is a different matter.

Jeff
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-10-14 14:16:07 UTC
Post by Jeff
Post by Norman Wells
And no, there's no way of 'removing the implied right of access'.
That is not correct, it has been done but writing to the BBC and Capita
etc specifically prohibiting access by their employees or agents.
Now of course what happens if that is ignored is a different matter.
I assume we're talking about the right for them to come to your door or window and peer in (I can't tell due to oversnippage). You could always lock your gate and put a post box American style at the end of the drive. I wouldn't think they're allowed to climb a gate.
Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason -- Mark Twain
The Peeler
2017-10-14 16:48:53 UTC
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 15:16:07 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by Jeff
That is not correct, it has been done but writing to the BBC and Capita
etc specifically prohibiting access by their employees or agents.
Now of course what happens if that is ignored is a different matter.
I assume we're talking about the right for them to come to your door or
window and peer in (I can't tell due to oversnippage).
But you will continue driveling nevertheless, you driveling idiot! <BG>
--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange world:
"Someone (a Scotsman) once told me he doesn't bother wiping his arse if he's
MID: <***@red.lan>
tim...
2017-10-14 09:51:52 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
footprints technically qualify as criminal damage

2017-10-14 10:17:26 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
That'll be a matter for the police then.

I'm sure they'll be thrilled.
tim...
2017-10-14 12:54:12 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by tim...
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
which was why I said "technically"

tim
Paul Pot
2017-10-14 12:24:06 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
Surely you canot go around peering through peoples windows? What about
the right of privacy?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
BurfordTJustice
Fredxxx
2017-10-14 12:30:44 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
For criminal damage they require some form of intent. If you go about
your business and make footprints then there might be a civil claim but
can't see it being criminal.

Can you cite any reference to 'footprints' being criminal damage?
tim...
2017-10-14 12:56:02 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
as a trespasser
and make footprints then there might be a civil claim but can't see it
being criminal.
Can you cite any reference to 'footprints' being criminal damage?
I very much doubt you would get to first base if you reported it, but that
doesn't make it legal

tim
Paul Pot
2017-10-14 12:26:45 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
So I can go around to my neighbours and watch them through their
windows? Not that I would, mind :)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Norman Wells
2017-10-14 15:10:55 UTC
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
Provided you don't fall foul of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997,
you'll probably only be trespassing, which is a civil matter.

So, pretty much you can then, unless they're bigger than you and take a
different view.

But besides looking through your windows, "there are 266 powers allowing
officials to enter your home, and not all require a warrant"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/feb/26/law
Paul Pot
2017-10-14 16:59:29 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
I'm not sure this article is accurate, for instance "Landlords are
allowed to enter their property and seize goods in lieu of unpaid
rent". According to TV shows featuring High Court Sheffifs, the
landlord requires a High Court Writ and the enforcement officers can
force entry to recover goods for outstanding rent and the landlords
would be breaking the law if they simply gained entry at all.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Norman Wells
Well, when you find out, do let us know.
Paul Pot
2017-10-14 17:12:47 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
I've just explained but you snipped it out.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Altroy1
2017-10-14 20:14:31 UTC
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
As far as I am aware there is an implied licence for a visitor to walk up to
someone's front door and knock. If at the front door a TV Licencing inspector
noticed a TV in the living room and it was in plain sight, then that might be
admissible evidence.

There is a good, albeit a bit dated, discussion at:

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/davidmetcalfe/entry/tv_licensing_leave/
Paul Pot
2017-10-14 19:27:45 UTC
Post by Altroy1
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Paul Pot
[...]
You can still own a TV to play videos and games without a license but
not watch live TV programmes.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Paul Pot
2017-10-14 19:08:29 UTC