Snowflakes ask not to be called snowflakes
2017-12-06 12:06:02 UTC
"Incubus" <***@gmail.com> wrote in message news:p08luf$6bm$***@dont-email.me...
: It damages their mental health...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/06/dont-call-us-snowflakes-damages-mental-health-say-young-people/
The Todal
2017-12-06 14:56:37 UTC
Post by BurfordTJustice
: It damages their mental health...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/06/dont-call-us-snowflakes-damages-mental-health-say-young-people/
Page doesn't work (at 14:55). Bloody snowflakes at the Telegraph must
have pulled the article.
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
2017-12-06 15:13:15 UTC
Post by BurfordTJustice
: It damages their mental health...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/06/dont-call-us-snowflakes-damages-mental-health-say-young-people/
Page doesn't work (at 14:55). Bloody snowflakes at the Telegraph must
have pulled the article.
Shhhsh! You'll upset them.

Anyway, it workz for me. They obviously have a horrid filter.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.
--
p-0.0-h the cat

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

pensive hamster
2017-12-06 15:16:12 UTC
Post by BurfordTJustice
: It damages their mental health...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/06/dont-call-us-snowflakes-damages-mental-health-say-young-people/
Page doesn't work (at 14:55). Bloody snowflakes at the Telegraph must
have pulled the article.
It does work now (15:14), on Firefox. Non-snowflakes at the
Telegraph must have mounted a counter-offensive.
Yellow
2017-12-06 15:45:46 UTC
On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 07:16:12 -0800 (PST), pensive hamster
Post by pensive hamster
Post by The Todal
Post by BurfordTJustice
: It damages their mental health...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/06/dont-call-us-snowflakes-damages-mental-health-say-young-people/
Page doesn't work (at 14:55). Bloody snowflakes at the Telegraph must
have pulled the article.
It does work now (15:14), on Firefox. Non-snowflakes at the
Telegraph must have mounted a counter-offensive.
Shock new - Snowflakes are snowflakey when told they are snowflakes.

:-)
Ophelia
2017-12-06 16:08:54 UTC

Post by pensive hamster
Post by The Todal
Post by BurfordTJustice
: It damages their mental health...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/06/dont-call-us-snowflakes-damages-mental-health-say-young-people/
Page doesn't work (at 14:55). Bloody snowflakes at the Telegraph must
have pulled the article.
It does work now (15:14), on Firefox. Non-snowflakes at the
Telegraph must have mounted a counter-offensive.
Shock new - Snowflakes are snowflakey when told they are snowflakes.

:-)

==

LOL poor wee flaky things ... perhaps they need to go to their safe place.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
The Todal
2017-12-06 17:45:32 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by The Todal
Post by BurfordTJustice
: It damages their mental health...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/06/dont-call-us-snowflakes-damages-mental-health-say-young-people/
Page doesn't work (at 14:55). Bloody snowflakes at the Telegraph must
have pulled the article.
It does work now (15:14), on Firefox. Non-snowflakes at the
Telegraph must have mounted a counter-offensive.
Shock new - Snowflakes are snowflakey when told they are snowflakes.
:-)
Yes, I see the article now. Not very well written, really. I don't think
anyone can claim to speak for "young people".

Smile at us, pay us, pass us; but do not quite forget;
For we are the snowflakes of England, that never have spoken yet.
pamela
2017-12-06 18:08:25 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by The Todal
Post by BurfordTJustice
: It damages their mental health...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/06/dont-call-us-snowf
lakes-damages-mental-health-say-young-people/
Page doesn't work (at 14:55). Bloody snowflakes at the
Telegraph must have pulled the article.
It does work now (15:14), on Firefox. Non-snowflakes at the
Telegraph must have mounted a counter-offensive.
Shock new - Snowflakes are snowflakey when told they are
snowflakes.
:-)
Yes, I see the article now. Not very well written, really. I
don't think anyone can claim to speak for "young people".
Smile at us, pay us, pass us; but do not quite forget; For we
are the snowflakes of England, that never have spoken yet.
Can you imagine this neurotic generation ever managing to rise to
a challenge like the Second World War if something like it ever
came their way?
The Todal
2017-12-06 20:04:49 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by The Todal
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
I expect the challenge of Brexit will be much the same as the challenge
of WW2. Heck, we might even end up with rationing and growing our own
vegetables in the back garden.
Pelican
2017-12-06 20:14:09 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by The Todal
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
There are still people who haven't twigged that WW2 ended 70 years ago -
they are living in the past.
The Todal
2017-12-06 20:31:02 UTC
Post by Pelican
Post by pensive hamster
Post by The Todal
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
You are referring to Boris Johnson, of course.

“If Hollande wants to administer punishment beatings to anybody who
seeks to escape [the EU], in the manner of some world war two movie, I
don’t think that is the way forward. It’s not in the interests of our
friends and partners.”
pamela
2017-12-06 22:34:42 UTC
Post by Pelican
Post by The Todal
Post by pamela
On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 07:16:12 -0800 (PST), pensive hamster
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/06/dont-1
[...]
Prominent Brexiteer and aristocratic toff, Jacob Ree-Mogg, must
think we're still in WW2......

"Speaking to Nigel Farage on his LBC show, Jacob Rees-Mogg
likened a scenario where EU nationals were under EU law to like
US forces stationed on the Japanese island of Okinawa."
Pelican
There are people, and then there are idiots.
n***@gmail.com
2017-12-06 21:58:50 UTC
Might we? Who says? And why?
kat
2017-12-07 08:22:12 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by The Todal
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
That'll be why the young are so keen on staying in - "ohhhh it's
soooooooooo hard to leave, we can't face a challenge, we want the EU to
tell us what to do."
--
kat
^..^<
pamela
2017-12-07 11:01:04 UTC
Post by kat
Post by kat
Post by The Todal
Post by pamela
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
The argument for remaining is not based on difficulty but on the
poor outcome of leaving.
kat
2017-12-07 12:36:56 UTC
Post by pamela
Post by kat
Post by kat
Post by The Todal
Post by pamela
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
For you, perhaps, but maybe not for the snowflakes.
--
kat
^..^<
JNugent

But only some.
pamela
2017-12-07 00:46:38 UTC
Post by The Todal
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
Sadly I have yet to meet a single one.

I do wish this generation well... after all in our dotage we will
depend on their successes. However they seem so exquisitely
sensitive that I would not be surprised if some doctor classified
their rather dyfunctional mindset as a psychological illness.

I wonder how the precious snowflake outlook occurred. It seems
quite different to what went before it.
The Todal
2017-12-07 10:29:28 UTC
Post by pamela
Post by The Todal
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
The Telegraph piece mentions the origin of the term "snowflake", from
1996. It has become a popular image in journalism in the last 5 years
or so, as each journalist enthusiastically copies the work of another to
fill up the column inches.

The notion in some (mainly American) university departments that
students must be warned before they are introduced to distressing
material, is a rather bizarre notion but is certainly not widespread. It
is wrong to assume that most (or even many) students are fragile. It's
very easy to make offensive generalisations about students but rather
harder to point to any specific examples. For instance - workshops for
freshmen to explain sexual harassment. Seems perfectly reasonable. Might
prevent a few drunken female students from being raped by ignorant young
men.
pamela
2017-12-07 11:17:10 UTC
Post by pamela
Post by The Todal
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
I don't really refer to Amercian universities nor to sexual
harassment but to the teenagers and those in their early 20s I come
across whose very outlook on the world reflects a fragility of mind.

Yes, emotional hurt is overemphasised but also any adverse emotion.
There is also a sense of entitlement and an exaggerated sense of
respect and consideration required. The sense of "you can't do that
to me" being applied too widely.

All that wouldn't matter of the generation were go getters poised to
change the world for the better but it seems the opposite is true and
an unexpectedly large number are low achievers with few ambitions.
Their focus is on a sense of feeling good, not competing, why try too
hard. I am generalising and there are many exceptions but the trend
seems very much in that direction.

The snowflake generation has seen little adversity and has not had to
fight for peace not clamber for prosperity. Life is easier for them
than it has been for previous generations. Perhaps that is why
although I still can't, for the life of me, see why such an attitude
should emerge.

There were some interesting marketing guides on how to market goods
to this generation which make some rather sad observations on their
characteristics.
The Todal
2017-12-07 11:50:42 UTC
Post by pamela
Post by The Todal
Post by pamela
Post by The Todal
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
These are all interesting points which may have some validity but I'm
not convinced that we can generalise about the young generation. If we
can, the fault may lie with our educational system and with the
government which has imposed that system on our schools.

Rigid performance targets for schools and for pupils, which create a
league-table mentality and prevent teachers from using their skills
properly to make learning enjoyable.

High stress levels for pupils, who nowadays are expected to get straight
A grades if they want to get a good university place.

Coupled with bullying in social media, the stress has caused mental
health problems among young people. Suicide attempts and cutting of arms
and other self-mutilation behaviour, now quite widespread.

Counselling which aims to help children resist bullying and stand up for
themselves, leading to some young people trying to avoid stress in their
lives and therefore trying to avoid challenges.

I've heard from many sources that if you have a manual or semi-skilled
job and you offer it to a British school leaver he'll usually be late in
every day and be reluctant to stay late and won't be as hard a worker as
his equivalent from Poland or other European nations. The reasons may
include a reluctance to respond to any performance targets because they
are seen as stressful, but also an awareness that wages are relatively
low, house prices are unaffordable and there's no good reason to feel
ambitious because you continue living at home and retain the mentality
of a child whose needs are met by one's parents.
harry
https://www.greatvaluecolleges.net/20-great-value-colleges-safe-spaces/
Incubus
2017-12-06 15:32:41 UTC
Post by BurfordTJustice
: It damages their mental health...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/06/dont-call-us-snowflakes-damages-mental-health-say-young-people/
Page doesn't work (at 14:55). Bloody snowflakes at the Telegraph must
have pulled the article.
It works for me at 15:32.