Brexit is a golden opportunity for businesses like Tate & Lyle Sugars
Add Reply
Bod
2017-11-08 10:23:27 UTC
Being in the EU has hit Tate & Lyle Sugars hard – and cost British jobs.
The EU imposes prohibitively high import tariffs and protectionist sugar
and trade policies. These discriminate against cane sugar refiners like
us in favour of EU beet sugar producers.

But after Brexit, we can have a level playing field in the UK sugar
market. This will be a real success story for a UK industry and a
much-loved British brand.

Consumers will also win because competition will deliver a bigger choice
of more innovative products. A more competitive UK market can also boost
our exports.

http://www.brexitgoldenopportunity.com
Bod
pamela
2017-11-08 11:26:23 UTC
Being in the EU has hit Tate & Lyle Sugars hard and cost
British jobs. The EU imposes prohibitively high import tariffs
and protectionist sugar and trade policies. These discriminate
against cane sugar refiners like us in favour of EU beet sugar
producers.
But after Brexit, we can have a level playing field in the UK
sugar market. This will be a real success story for a UK
industry and a much-loved British brand.
Consumers will also win because competition will deliver a
bigger choice of more innovative products. A more competitive UK
market can also boost our exports.
http://www.brexitgoldenopportunity.com
The less sugar we eat, the better for our health.

Fancy clutching onto the profits made by a sugar manufacturer as a
way of justifying Brexit!
Bod
2017-11-08 11:29:15 UTC
Post by pamela
Being in the EU has hit Tate & Lyle Sugars hard and cost
British jobs. The EU imposes prohibitively high import tariffs
and protectionist sugar and trade policies. These discriminate
against cane sugar refiners like us in favour of EU beet sugar
producers.
But after Brexit, we can have a level playing field in the UK
sugar market. This will be a real success story for a UK
industry and a much-loved British brand.
Consumers will also win because competition will deliver a
bigger choice of more innovative products. A more competitive UK
market can also boost our exports.
http://www.brexitgoldenopportunity.com
The less sugar we eat, the better for our health.
Fancy clutching onto the profits made by a sugar manufacturer as a
way of justifying Brexit!
What's wrong with that?
Bod
pamela
Major industry, huh? I think we could live without it.
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-11-08 16:06:14 UTC
Post by pamela
Post by Bod
Post by pamela
[...]
You don't get fat from sugar, you get fat from eating too much food.
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
Ian Jackson
2017-11-08 17:34:51 UTC
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
You don't get fat from sugar, you get fat from eating too much food.
The body first tries to convert everything we take in into sugar. Some
things take longer to convert than others. Sugar that is surplus to
immediate requirements gets stored as fat - and sugar surpluses (even if
only temporary) are most likely to occur when we consume substantial
quantities of stuff with a high sugar content. We then become physically
fat. Even if we then starve ourselves, our fat stores take some time to
get re-converted into sugar - but when they do, we become thin again.
Ian
R. Mark Clayton
2017-11-08 18:55:04 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
You don't get fat from sugar, you get fat from eating too much food.
The body first tries to convert everything we take in into sugar.
Amino acids - er no,

Fats - er no,
Post by Ian Jackson
Some
things take longer to convert than others. Sugar that is surplus to
immediate requirements gets stored as fat
Glycogen initially, only later into fat.
Ian
Ian Jackson
2017-11-08 19:46:48 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Some
things take longer to convert than others. Sugar that is surplus to
immediate requirements gets stored as fat
Glycogen initially, only later into fat.
I'm only parroting what a doctor (answering callers' questions) said on
one of last night's LBC phone-ins.
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by Ian Jackson
- and sugar surpluses (even if
only temporary) are most likely to occur when we consume substantial
quantities of stuff with a high sugar content. We then become physically
fat. Even if we then starve ourselves, our fat stores take some time to
get re-converted into sugar - but when they do, we become thin again.
That's the last time I trust what I hear on LBC!
Ian
Christie
2017-11-08 20:27:28 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by Ian Jackson
- and sugar surpluses (even if
only temporary) are most likely to occur when we consume substantial
quantities of stuff with a high sugar content. We then become physically
fat. Even if we then starve ourselves, our fat stores take some time to
get re-converted into sugar - but when they do, we become thin again.
That's the last time I trust what I hear on LBC!
What about all the previous anti-brexiteer stuff you've heard on LBC,
though? I bet you're still going to trust in that!
Ian Jackson
2017-11-08 21:25:15 UTC
Post by Christie
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by Ian Jackson
- and sugar surpluses (even if
only temporary) are most likely to occur when we consume substantial
quantities of stuff with a high sugar content. We then become physically
fat. Even if we then starve ourselves, our fat stores take some time to
get re-converted into sugar - but when they do, we become thin again.
That's the last time I trust what I hear on LBC!
What about all the previous anti-brexiteer stuff you've heard on LBC,
though? I bet you're still going to trust in that!
Certainly. My faith in LBC is totally shattered.
Ian
pamela
2017-11-08 20:51:10 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
You don't get fat from sugar, you get fat from eating too much
food.
The body first tries to convert everything we take in into
sugar. Some things take longer to convert than others. Sugar
that is surplus to immediate requirements gets stored as fat -
and sugar surpluses (even if only temporary) are most likely to
occur when we consume substantial quantities of stuff with a
high sugar content. We then become physically fat. Even if we
then starve ourselves, our fat stores take some time to get
re-converted into sugar - but when they do, we become thin
again.
Refined carbs such as sugar causes syndrome X because of its
metabolic path. That's not true for unprocessed foods.
The Peeler
2017-11-08 18:12:52 UTC
On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 16:06:14 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by pamela
Post by Bod
Post by pamela
Fancy clutching onto the profits made by a sugar manufacturer as a
way of justifying Brexit!
What's wrong with that?
Major industry, huh? I think we could live without it.
You don't get fat from sugar, you get fat from eating too much food.
Who mentioned fat, attention whore?
--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the village idiot's,
sick drivel:
MID: <***@red.lan>
Handsome Jack
2017-11-08 17:29:21 UTC
Post by pamela
Being in the EU has hit Tate & Lyle Sugars hard and cost
British jobs. The EU imposes prohibitively high import tariffs
and protectionist sugar and trade policies. These discriminate
against cane sugar refiners like us in favour of EU beet sugar
producers.
But after Brexit, we can have a level playing field in the UK
sugar market. This will be a real success story for a UK
industry and a much-loved British brand.
Consumers will also win because competition will deliver a
bigger choice of more innovative products. A more competitive UK
market can also boost our exports.
http://www.brexitgoldenopportunity.com
The less sugar we eat, the better for our health.
Fancy clutching onto the profits made by a sugar manufacturer as a
way of justifying Brexit!
You cretinous oaf.
Jack
R. Mark Clayton
If the UK tariff on sugar is decoupled from the EU's then sugar might be cheaper in the UK. Expect to see the EU impose tariffs on UK manufactured foods containing a lot of sugar (e.g. confectionery) to prevent it underselling similar EU foods.
pensive hamster
2017-11-08 15:55:20 UTC
Post by Bod
[...]
Bod's sentence:

"These discriminate against cane sugar refiners like
us in favour of EU beet sugar producers."

is potentially a bit misleading. We are also beet sugar producers,
and 2/3rds of sugar used in the UK is produced in this way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Sugar
'British Sugar processes all sugar beet grown in the United Kingdom,
and produces about two-thirds of the United Kingdom's quota of
sugar, with the remainder covered by Tate & Lyle and imports.'

Also

'... Tate & Lyle ... is still allowed to import zero-tariff sugar from a
handful of designated markets such as Fiji, Belize and Guyana and
that are seen as supporting international development goals. [But
it has to add in shipping costs].
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/27/brexit-sugar-beet-cane-tate-lyle-british-sugar

So it is a bit more complex than Bod makes out. It is not exactly
brave British Tate & Lyle battling against the evil EU and their
dastardly beet sugar producers ...
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-11-08 16:06:40 UTC
Being in the EU has hit Tate & Lyle Sugars hard =E2=80=93 and cost Br=
[...]

Could we nuke the EU?

-- =

Bill Clinton thinks "harass" is two words.
The Peeler
2017-11-08 18:12:57 UTC
On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 16:06:40 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by R. Mark Clayton
If the UK tariff on sugar is decoupled from the EU's then sugar might be
cheaper in the UK. Expect to see the EU impose tariffs on UK
manufactured foods containing a lot of sugar (e.g. confectionery) to
prevent it underselling similar EU foods.
Could we nuke the EU?
Somebody needs to nuke your stupid gob, Birdbrain!
--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) life as a wanker:
"When I was 14, there were places in forests where people would leave
MID: <***@red.lan>
Yellow
2017-11-08 20:41:42 UTC
On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 04:26:34 -0800 (PST), R. Mark Clayton
Post by R. Mark Clayton
[...]
So you are happy to see consumers pay more than they need to just as
long as businesses can make bigger profits yet you continually whine
about rising prices.
pamela
Can you show where Mark says he's HAPPY about it?
Nick
2017-11-08 16:58:19 UTC
Being in the EU has hit Tate & Lyle Sugars hard – and cost British jobs. > The EU imposes prohibitively high import tariffs and protectionist sugar
and trade policies. These discriminate against cane sugar refiners like
us in favour of EU beet sugar producers.
But after Brexit, we can have a level playing field in the UK sugar
market. This will be a real success story for a UK industry and a
much-loved British brand.
I'm confused, Tate & Lyle -sugar Refining business appears to be fully
owned by a US company. AIUI Sugar cane doesn't grow in the UK.