More Resignations to Come?
2018-07-09 15:45:24 UTC
<quote>

It's enough of a mess all on its own.

But a well-connected source has just told me that it could be more
serious than that.

They told me it is a concerted push to force the prime minister to drop
her Chequers' compromise.

They said: "If she doesn't drop Chequers there will be another, then
another, then another, then another".

</q>

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44771475
The Todal
2018-07-09 17:39:20 UTC
<quote>
It's enough of a mess all on its own.
But a well-connected source has just told me that it could be more
serious than that.
They told me it is a concerted push to force the prime minister to drop
her Chequers' compromise.
They said: "If she doesn't drop Chequers there will be another, then
another, then another, then another".
</q>
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44771475
An orchestrated series of resignations didn't have the desired effect
when the target was Corbyn, and it won't work with May either.

Maybe she will end up with a cabinet of new, untested people. Those who
resigned will meanwhile wait in vain for their genius to be recognised.
Yellow
2018-07-09 17:47:34 UTC
<quote>
It's enough of a mess all on its own.
But a well-connected source has just told me that it could be more
serious than that.
They told me it is a concerted push to force the prime minister to drop
her Chequers' compromise.
They said: "If she doesn't drop Chequers there will be another, then
another, then another, then another".
</q>
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44771475
An orchestrated series of resignations didn't have the desired effect
when the target was Corbyn, and it won't work with May either.
Good point but I think the mechanism for ousting a leader is different
with the Tories and they (just) need 46 signatures to kick it off.
Maybe.
The Todal
2018-07-09 18:00:01 UTC
<quote>
It's enough of a mess all on its own.
But a well-connected source has just told me that it could be more
serious than that.
They told me it is a concerted push to force the prime minister to drop
her Chequers' compromise.
They said: "If she doesn't drop Chequers there will be another, then
another, then another, then another".
</q>
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44771475
An orchestrated series of resignations didn't have the desired effect
when the target was Corbyn, and it won't work with May either.
Good point but I think the mechanism for ousting a leader is different
with the Tories and they (just) need 46 signatures to kick it off.
Good point. But they need a leader in waiting who could command
sufficient support. And it's possible that most MPs are still secretly
Remainers even if they pay lip service to the slogan "I didn't get the
result I wanted but now we must deliver Brexit".
Maybe.
Yellow
2018-07-09 18:20:43 UTC
[...]
The risk is another 'compromise' candidate and off we would go again on
the merry-go-round.