Remaining British IS terrorists caught.
Add Reply
Handsome Jack
2018-02-09 11:40:36 UTC
No indication that they will consider whether the existing law offers
*too much* protection to "victims" online. And it's not a consultation;
they aren't asking for comments from the public. We're simply expected
to do what we're told.

https://www.lawcom.gov.uk/government-asks-law-commission-to-look-at-
trolling-laws/

"Government asks Law Commission to look at trolling laws
6th February 2018

The government has asked the Law Commission to review the laws around
offensive communications and assess whether they provide the right
protection to victims online.

With research showing that nearly a third of UK internet users were on
the receiving end of trolling, harassment or cyberbullying last year,
the independent body will provide a robust review of the current laws
and set out how they apply to online communications.

This independent review of the law is expected to be published within 6
months of when work starts in April. If deficiencies in the current law
are identified, the Commission has agreed to further work looking at
potential options for reform.

This will be informed by developing Government policy in the Government
Digital Charter which aims to make the UK the safest place in the world
online.

Law Commissioner Professor David Ormerod QC said:
'There are laws in place to stop abuse but we've moved on from the age
of green ink and poison pens. The digital world throws up new questions
and we need to make sure that the law is robust and flexible enough to
answer them. If we are to be safe, both on and off line, the criminal
law must offer appropriate protection in both spaces.

By studying the law and identifying any problems we can give government
the full picture as it works to make the UK the safest place to be
online.'

In October 2017 the Government launched its Internet Safety Strategy
green paper, pledging to make the UK the safest place in the world to be
online. It is the first part of the Digital Charter – a rolling
programme of work to agree norms and rules for the online world and put
them into practice.

As part of this work, the Government has asked the independent Law
Commission to conduct a robust review of the current laws around
offensive online communications. The Commission will analyse:

How the Malicious Communications Act 1988 deals with offensive
online communications
How the Communications Act 2003 deals with online communications
What 'grossly offensive' means and whether that poses difficulties
in legal certainty
Whether the law means you need to prove fault or prove intention to
prosecute offensive online communications
The need to update definitions in the law which technology has
rendered obsolete or confused, such as the meaning of 'sender'
How other parts of the criminal law overlap with online
communications laws

The Government already has active programmes of work in some areas of
online communications offences. As a result the Law Commission will not
consider:
terrorist offences committed online
child sexual exploitation
platform liability
Following this analysis of the law, the Commission is expected to
undertake a further 6 month project before making recommendations to
government, informed by public consultation."
--
Jack