Anti-Brexit billboards have started appearing across the country
MM
2017-03-07 10:22:00 UTC
"Billboards have begun appearing across the country in opposition to
Theresa May’s plan for a so-called Hard Brexit.

Billboard image:

"Campaigners, dubbed Remoaners, have raised thousands of pounds to
erect huge posters in different parts of the country.

"They have also arranged for a bus to be driven around Westminster so
that lawmakers can ‘see it right up to the final vote.’

"Article 50 legislation is moving through the second chamber of
Parliament but the Government has suffered a set-back on the guarantee
of rights for EU nationals.

"The group, Stop the Silence, has attracted more than £70,000 and has
received more than 4,0000 likes on Facebook.

"Now they have posted their billboards in places across the country
including Bournemouth, Cardiff and London.

"They raised the money in just 10 days, with three individual
donations of £1,000 and the rest made up of small donations.

"The success of Stop the Silence’s first campaign was so great that
they ‘relaunched’ the movement online.

"They wrote: ‘We’ve had such an amazing response to our original
billboard crowd-funder, with lots of people now asking how they can
donate, that we’ve decided to re-open it.

"‘This week our original fund got a powerful message out to 10 million
people across Britain, our video went viral -- 170,000 views in the
first three days after launch -- and 500,000 have seen our message on
Facebook.’

"The founder of the campaign 48-year-old Liz Holmes told Metro.co.uk:
‘The Government is ignoring millions of people who are worried about
the Brexit cliff-edge, however they voted in the Referendum. We wanted
to get noticed by MPs in their constituencies.

"‘Billboards are the obvious way to get concerns off social media and
literally onto the streets of the UK.’

"Adding: ‘The crowdfund raised over £60,000 in the first ten days and
we knew it had touched a nerve. Hard Brexit did not appear on the
Referendum ballot paper, or in any party manifesto, but that is
exactly where the Government is railroading this country

"‘We all want a good deal. We do not believe the Government’s current
‘deal or no deal’ position will achieve that. It should be country
first, not Brexit first.’"
http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/05/anti-brexit-billboards-have-started-appearing-across-the-country-6489128/

MM
Dan S. MacAbre
2017-03-07 10:28:48 UTC
http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/1/590x/Stop-the-Silence-brexit-billboard-775830.jpg
"Campaigners, dubbed Remoaners, have raised thousands of pounds to
erect huge posters in different parts of the country.
"They have also arranged for a bus to be driven around Westminster so
that lawmakers can ‘see it right up to the final vote.’
"Article 50 legislation is moving through the second chamber of
Parliament but the Government has suffered a set-back on the guarantee
of rights for EU nationals.
"The group, Stop the Silence, has attracted more than £70,000 and has
received more than 4,0000 likes on Facebook.
"Now they have posted their billboards in places across the country
including Bournemouth, Cardiff and London.
"They raised the money in just 10 days, with three individual
donations of £1,000 and the rest made up of small donations.
"The success of Stop the Silence’s first campaign was so great that
they ‘relaunched’ the movement online.
They'll have to Begin the Silence first :-)
MM
F Murtz
At least it is giving billboard makers a job so I suppose they do some good.
R. Mark Clayton
Where are they putting them - Bridgend, Luton, Ellesmere Port...?
harry
Are you a contributor?
Vidcapper
2017-03-10 07:54:56 UTC
Post by MM
"Billboards have begun appearing across the country in opposition to
Theresa May’s plan for a so-called Hard Brexit.
False claim - she does not want a hard Brexit (unlike some of us), but
it is only prudent for her to draw up contingency plans in the event it
becomes necessary.
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Basil Jet
2017-03-10 12:31:35 UTC
Post by MM
"Billboards have begun appearing across the country in opposition to
Theresa May’s plan for a so-called Hard Brexit.
Interesting. I drove to various parts of England and Wales in the run up
to the referendum and saw countless Leave billboards but not even a
single Remain one!