When is a transition not a transition
Add Reply
James Harris
2017-08-07 09:14:13 UTC
You folks may already have twigged but it occurred to me last week that
when it comes to Brexit members of the establishment are talking about
two different types of transition.

I think of a transition as an intermediate state between two others. We
are here now. We want to get there. But it's too big a step to do in one
go or time is needed to prepare. We therefore need an intermediate state
or two in between to help the change to go smoothly.

But quite a number of others see it differently. To them, a transition
essentially means an extension of the status quo. When they talk of a
transition on leaving the EU they really mean an extension of existing
arrangements.

Am I right? Have a listen out when various politicians and journalists
talk about a transitional period and see what you think their meaning is.
James Harris
Joe
2017-08-07 11:23:04 UTC
On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 10:14:13 +0100
Post by James Harris
You folks may already have twigged but it occurred to me last week
that when it comes to Brexit members of the establishment are talking
about two different types of transition.
I think of a transition as an intermediate state between two others.
We are here now. We want to get there. But it's too big a step to do
in one go or time is needed to prepare. We therefore need an
intermediate state or two in between to help the change to go
smoothly.
But quite a number of others see it differently. To them, a
transition essentially means an extension of the status quo. When
they talk of a transition on leaving the EU they really mean an
extension of existing arrangements.
Am I right? Have a listen out when various politicians and
journalists talk about a transitional period and see what you think
their meaning is.
Of course. Virtually every politician in Britain wanted us to stay in
the EU. It follows that virtually every politician in Britain will do
whatever they think they can get away with to prevent Brexit.

MM is always going on about the quality of people who voted out, he
should bear in mind that he's on the same side as virtually all
politicians (and media people, of course), a situation which would
certainly worry me, should it ever occur.
Joe
James Harris
2017-08-10 13:40:33 UTC
Post by Joe
On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 10:14:13 +0100
Post by James Harris
[...]
I don't quite agree with that. I believe some politicians who voted the
other way have accepted the result and are working hard to make it a
success. Yet there are also others who say they accept the decision but
when the surface is scratched it becomes extremely clear that they are
working to undermine it.
James Harris
Ophelia
2017-08-07 13:33:57 UTC
"James Harris" wrote in message news:om9ape$2fq$***@dont-email.me...

[...]

==

I have been listening to them and wondering ... but you have made it clear.

I agree.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk