Spot a rat: Real-time map aims to plot Paris rodent sightings
2018-06-11 17:48:48 UTC
Spot a rat: Real-time map aims to plot Paris rodent sightings

Rats have become an increasingly common sight in Paris over the past few
years, but one local official wants to make sure everyone knows just how
many are being spotted daily in his corner of the French capital.
Geoffroy Boulard, who heads the municipal council of the 17th
Arrondissement, has set up an interactive map where residents can signal
rodent sightings in real time.

"It was the case of a daycare centre whose playground was infested with rats
that convinced me that we had to try something else," Boulard told the
Parisien newspaper Monday.

He accused Mayor Anne Hidalgo of not doing enough to tackle a problem that
regularly requires officials to close parks and other sites to carry out
extermination programmes.

Hidalgo launched a 1.5 million euro ($1.8 million) campaign last year to
wage a "war on rats" along with other measures to clean up the capital,
promising new traps and plans to protect rubbish bins with wooden or
plexiglass bases.

Experts say the rat population has in fact remained stable in recent years
at 1.75 for every resident -- of which there are some 2.2 million in the
city's 20 inner arrondissements -- but they periodically become more visible
in some areas because of construction work which forces them from their
dens.

Boulard said his office was often unable to get sanitation services to
respond to rat sightings, which have become more frequent in his part of
northwest Paris because of work on the new city courthouse and a metro line
extension.

"If it's a priority for them then they need to be working twice as hard," he
told the newspaper.

He said the website, Signalerunrat.paris ("Report a rat"), would indicate
each sighting with a rat symbol that would be replaced with a shovel once
the authorities respond.
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
2018-06-11 17:52:14 UTC

Just let some cats out. They'll soon eat them all.
peterwn
2018-06-12 10:05:03 UTC
On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 5:49:00 AM UTC+12, BurfordTJustice wrote:
> Spot a rat: Real-time map aims to plot Paris rodent sightings
>
> Rats have become an increasingly common sight in Paris over the past few
> years, but one local official wants to make sure everyone knows just how
> many are being spotted daily in his corner of the French capital.
> Geoffroy Boulard, who heads the municipal council of the 17th
> Arrondissement, has set up an interactive map where residents can signal
> rodent sightings in real time.
>
> "It was the case of a daycare centre whose playground was infested with rats
> that convinced me that we had to try something else," Boulard told the
> Parisien newspaper Monday.
>

> He accused Mayor Anne Hidalgo of not doing enough to tackle a problem that
> regularly requires officials to close parks and other sites to carry out
> extermination programmes.
>

> Hidalgo launched a 1.5 million euro ($1.8 million) campaign last year to
> wage a "war on rats" along with other measures to clean up the capital,
> promising new traps and plans to protect rubbish bins with wooden or
> plexiglass bases.
>
> Experts say the rat population has in fact remained stable in recent years
> at 1.75 for every resident -- of which there are some 2.2 million in the
> city's 20 inner arrondissements -- but they periodically become more visible
> in some areas because of construction work which forces them from their
> dens.
>
> Boulard said his office was often unable to get sanitation services to
> respond to rat sightings, which have become more frequent in his part of
> northwest Paris because of work on the new city courthouse and a metro line
> extension.
>
> "If it's a priority for them then they need to be working twice as hard," he
> told the newspaper.
>
> He said the website, Signalerunrat.paris ("Report a rat"), would indicate
> each sighting with a rat symbol that would be replaced with a shovel once
> the authorities respond.
The authorities should order a consignment of these pneumatically operated automatic rat traps:
https://www.goodnature.co.nz/