UK tests giving homeless people barcodes...
2018-08-09 20:09:22 UTC
who ensures that the money is spent on agreed targets,
such as saving for a rental deposit or a new passport.

===================================

UK tests giving homeless people barcodes...

Homeless people are wearing barcodes around their necks in an attempt to
increase donations in a cashless society, under an Oxford University backed
initiative.
A new social innovation project, called Greater Change, hands homeless
people a QR code, similar to the kind issued for online tickets.

Passersby who wish to give money - but who may not have any change in their
pocket - can scan the code using their smart phone, and make an online
payment to the person.

The donation goes into an account which is managed by a case worker who
ensures that the money is spent on agreed targets, such as saving for a
rental deposit or a new passport.

"The problem we're trying to solve here is that we live in an increasingly
cashless society and as well as this when people give they worry about what
this money might be spent on," Alex McCallion, founder of Greater Change,
told the BBC.

"So the solution we've come up with is a giving mechanism through your smart
phone with a restrictive fund."

When you scan the barcode on your smartphone, a profile of the homeless
person appears. This tells you more about their circumstances, such as how
they became homeless or what their job used to be.
The project, which is being trialled in Oxford, is supported by Oxford
University Innovation and Oxford's Said Business School.

Neil Coyle MP, the Labour co-chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on
Ending Homelessness, said: "Necessity has again become the mother of
invention and now there is an app to try and help generate more public
donations to homeless people.

"This intervention should not be necessary but with a Government ignoring
the scale of the problem, any extra donations may help homeless people
directly."

He added that homelessness has escalated in recent years, and the app will
not help address the broader issues such as a lack of drug and alcohol
cessation programmes, affordable housing and mental health care.

Jon Sparkes, chief executive of Crisis, said: "It's encouraging to see that
people want to help rough sleepers, but the bigger picture here is that
neither rough sleeping nor any form of homelessness should be an issue in
Britain today."

The Big Issue has previously said that Britain's move towards a cashless
society is contributing to declining sales as it trials contactless payments
to help the homeless.

The magazine, which is sold by homeless people, has suffered as a result of
people walking up and down Britain's high streets without coins and notes in
their pockets, as they now rely on cards and mobile phones for payments.

Russell Blackman, the Big Issue's managing director, said earlier this year
that they are looking into ways to roll out cashless payments to all its
vendors.

"It is vital that we develop the right contactless solution for our vendors,
ensuring that they can get instant access to their funds, even if they don't
have their own bank account due to a lack of permanent address," he said.
mike
I was trying to donate $5 and the homeless man stole my $900 iPhone.
BurfordTJustice
2018-08-10 10:36:59 UTC
Maybe poo and ***@yahoo.co.uk can just pay for a few passports??

"BurfordTJustice" <burford/***@uk.MI15> wrote in message news:pki720$4q2$***@dont-email.me...
: who ensures that the money is spent on agreed targets,
: such as saving for a rental deposit or a new passport.
: UK tests giving homeless people barcodes...
: