Smart electricity meters
Add Reply
Peter Percival
2017-11-30 14:43:41 UTC
Am I legally obliged to let the electricity supplier fit a smart
electricity meter? And if I'm not right now, might I soon be?
to me what you really mean.
Jeff
2017-11-30 16:46:28 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Am I legally obliged to let the electricity supplier fit a smart
electricity meter?  And if I'm not right now, might I soon be?
No

Jeff
BurfordTJustice
2017-11-30 16:47:56 UTC
Tell them no, then in 6 weeks report back the result.

"Peter Percival" <***@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ovp5eu$auf$***@news.albasani.net...
: Am I legally obliged to let the electricity supplier fit a smart
: electricity meter? And if I'm not right now, might I soon be?
: --
: Do, as a concession to my poor wits, Lord Darlington, just explain
: to me what you really mean.
: I think I had better not, Duchess. Nowadays to be intelligible is
: to be found out. -- Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan
:
Caecilius
2017-11-30 17:18:48 UTC
On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 14:43:41 +0000, Peter Percival
Post by Peter Percival
Am I legally obliged to let the electricity supplier fit a smart
electricity meter? And if I'm not right now, might I soon be?
I don't think you're obliged to, although your supplier might use
words that imply that you are.

I was "offered" a smart meter by my supplier, and they made it seem
like it was required. But they accepted my refusal.
harry
2017-11-30 17:58:48 UTC
Soon you will be.
Yellow
Who can know?
Ophelia
2017-12-01 17:15:31 UTC

Post by Peter Percival
And if I'm not right now, might I soon be?
Who can know?

==

We won't have one until and if we are legally forced.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Yellow
2017-12-01 19:50:52 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
And if I'm not right now, might I soon be?
Who can know?
==
We won't have one until and if we are legally forced.
I am hoping there there are enough refuse-niks to mean we will never be
legally forced unless you are moving to somewhere that already has one -
like they do with water meters.
Ophelia
2017-12-01 21:27:52 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
And if I'm not right now, might I soon be?
Who can know?
==
We won't have one until and if we are legally forced.
I am hoping there there are enough refuse-niks to mean we will never be
legally forced unless you are moving to somewhere that already has one -
like they do with water meters.

==

Aye I suppose that is a possibility, but never by choice.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Altroy1
2017-11-30 20:54:46 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Am I legally obliged to let the electricity supplier fit a smart
electricity meter? And if I'm not right now, might I soon be?
No. The Daily Mail wrote an article about the smart meter refuseniks a few weeks
back (sorry, don't have the citation at hand).

To change a meter is effectively a change in the terms of a contract and
requires agreement. For engineers to enter your property and not be a trespasser
assent is needed.

According to the DM, these smart meters are a little too smart uploading your
daily use of electricity to your supplier. Its hard to argue why so much info is
needed to calculate your bill when the previous meters were able to do the job.
BurfordTJustice
2017-11-30 21:15:40 UTC
cause soon the government will tell you how much electricity you may use and
win.

Why do you think they want smart meters??

job.
Mike Swift
2017-12-01 00:09:15 UTC
Post by Altroy1
According to the DM, these smart meters are a little too smart uploading
your daily use of electricity to your supplier. Its hard to argue why so much
info is needed to calculate your bill when the previous meters were able to
do the job.
A sneaky way to implement peak time charging in the future in my
opinion.

Mike
Yorkshire Halvard Lange
Ophelia
2017-12-01 17:16:04 UTC
Post by Altroy1
According to the DM, these smart meters are a little too smart uploading
your daily use of electricity to your supplier. Its hard to argue why so much
info is needed to calculate your bill when the previous meters were able to
do the job.
A sneaky way to implement peak time charging in the future in my
opinion.

Mike

==

Aye and they can turn it off if they want to.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
m***@gmail.com
2017-12-03 18:13:54 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Aye and they can turn it off if they want to.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Your supply can indeed be remotely turned off, literally at the click of a mouse.

Forget about court hearings and bailiffs having to have a warrant to enter your premises, one click and you're in darkness.

Sinister times indeed.
Ophelia
2017-12-03 19:48:45 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Aye and they can turn it off if they want to.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Your supply can indeed be remotely turned off, literally at the click of a
mouse.

Forget about court hearings and bailiffs having to have a warrant to enter
your premises, one click and you're in darkness.

Sinister times indeed.

==

Indeed and I won't accept it unless absolutely forced!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Mike Swift

Yorkshire Halvard Lange
harry
2017-12-01 09:18:45 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Am I legally obliged to let the electricity supplier fit a smart
electricity meter? And if I'm not right now, might I soon be?
to me what you really mean.
The ultimate purpose is to be able to change tariffs at will (Their will)
This is to cope with the intermittancy of renewable energy.
You'll pay more when the wind don't blow.