Bang... with largest Bomb
Add Reply
Phi
2017-04-13 20:14:45 UTC
The US military says it has dropped the "mother of all bombs" on a series of caves used by Islamic State in eastern Afghanistan.

It is the first time this type of bomb has been used in combat, Pentagon spokesman Adam Stump said.

It was dropped from an MC-130 aircraft in the Achin district of Nangarhar province, very close to the border with Pakistan.

The GBU-43 bomb, weighing 21,600 lbs (9,797kg), is GPS-guided, contains 11 tonnes of explosives and is the US military's largest non-nuclear device.

Its nickname, 'the mother of all bombs', is based on the name given to it by the US Air Force - 'Massive Ordnance Air Blast' bomb.

Mr Stump said the bomb was dropped on a group of caves and bunkers, believed to be used by Islamic State in Afghanistan, an affiliate group known by its US military acronym of 'ISIS-K'.

The weapon, which was first tested in March 2003, just days before the start of the Iraq War, was dropped at 7.32pm local time (4.02pm UK time) after its deployment was signed off by General John Nicholson, the commander of US forces in Afghanistan.

General Nicholson said the strike was designed to minimise the risk to Afghan and US forces conducting clearing operations in the Achin area "while maximising the destruction" of IS fighters and facilities.

He said IS has been using improvised explosive devices, bunkers and tunnels to strengthen its defences.

In a statement, General Nicholson said: "This is the right munition to reduce these obstacles and maintain the momentum of our offensive against ISIS-K."

White House press secretary Sean Spicer said of the strike: "The GBU is a large, powerful and accurately delivered weapon. We targeted a system of tunnels and caves that ISIS fighters used to move around freely, making it easier for them to target US military advisers and Afghan forces in the area."

The military says it is still assessing the damage it has caused.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/us-drops-mother-bombs-held-caves-afghanistan-170100634.html
Ted H
2017-04-13 19:18:59 UTC
But as we all know the US won't give a flying fuck about civilians.
Judith
2017-04-14 11:30:18 UTC
Post by Ted H
Post by Phi
General Nicholson said the strike was designed to minimise the risk to
Afghan and US forces
But as we all know the US won't give a flying fuck about civilians.
I heard on the BBC this morning that the US had said that there were no
civilian casualties.

So that's OK then.
harry
2017-04-14 06:57:18 UTC
Post by Phi
[...]
Total drivel.
Brits dropped bigger bombs on the Nazis seventy odd years ago on 42 occasions.
MOAB bollocks.
R. Mark Clayton
2017-04-14 08:22:07 UTC
Post by harry
Post by Phi
[...]
The UK used Tall Boy and larger Grand Slam penetrating bombs to destroy bridges, submarine pens and the Tirpitz. These were designed to destroy material rather than kill people, but obviously you would want to be far away when they went off.

The UK also dropped the 4 tonne "cookie" blockbuster bomb on civilian areas. Up to three of these could be linked together for a drop of ~12 tonnes. These were quite crude and essentially consisted of a big drum full of explosive.

Following the example of the Germans in attacking Coventry, these bombs were designed to cause extensive damage and fatalities on the ground, break water mains, make streets impassible and open up surviving buildings to attack by large numbers of small incendiary bombs.

Estimates of casualties in just the 1943 attack on Hamburg were in the tens of thousands: -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Hamburg_in_World_War_II#Battle_of_Hamburg
Mike Swift
2017-04-14 10:04:20 UTC
[...]
Strange you should post that, last night I watched Timeshift about the
development of our fire service, there was obviously film of the
devastation caused by the carpet bombing of London by the Luftwaffe, yet
over 70 years after some people are still whinging because we retaliated
with some of the same.

To quote Air Marshall Arthur ‘Bomber’ Harris :-

The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they
were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At
Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a hundred other places, they put
that rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now,
they are going to reap the whirlwind.

This could equally apply to the Islamic terrorists infesting the planet.

Mike
Yorkshire Halvard Lange
Fredxxx
2017-04-14 10:12:09 UTC
On 14/04/2017 11:04, Mike Swift wrote:

<snip>
Post by Mike Swift
This could equally apply to the Islamic terrorists infesting the planet.
Have you considered that our meddling in the Middle East has caused all
of this?

And the childish reactions of the West hasn't helped. Perhaps you can
remind me why we invaded Iraq?
GB
Didn't they have oil?
Fredxxx
2017-04-14 12:55:20 UTC
Post by GB
Post by Fredxxx
<snip>
Post by Mike Swift
This could equally apply to the Islamic terrorists infesting the planet.
Have you considered that our meddling in the Middle East has caused all
of this?
And the childish reactions of the West hasn't helped. Perhaps you can
remind me why we invaded Iraq?
Didn't they have oil?
Of course.

The US seem to have no balls in other conflicts. Sudan comes to mind.

Warlords n : US : 0
harry
2017-04-14 15:33:53 UTC
Post by Fredxxx
<snip>
Tony Bliar & Bush you mean?
Judith
2017-04-14 16:42:23 UTC
Post by harry
Post by Phi
[...]
Which bit precisely do you think is bollocks (other than all of your post of
course)

I love your posts: they just show how stupid you are.
Ian Cunningham
2017-04-14 22:06:35 UTC
Post by harry
Total drivel.
Brits dropped bigger bombs on the Nazis seventy odd years ago on 42 occasions.
MOAB bollocks.
Wrong

The MOAB is slightly heavier than the Grand Slam at
22,600lb vs 22,000lb

The Grand Slam contained signifcantly less explosive as it was a
heavy-cased ground penetration weapon where the MOAB is an airburst

Grand Slam 6.5 Tons TNT equivalent vs 11 Tons for the MOAB

Ian

Martin Brown
2017-04-14 21:00:10 UTC
Post by Phi
The US military says it has dropped the "mother of all bombs" on a
series of caves used by Islamic State in eastern Afghanistan.
It is the first time this type of bomb has been used in combat, Pentagon
spokesman Adam Stump said.
They seem determined to play with their biggest toys.
Post by Phi
It was dropped from an MC-130 aircraft in the Achin district of
Nangarhar province, very close to the border with Pakistan.
The GBU-43 bomb, weighing 21,600 lbs (9,797kg), is GPS-guided, contains
11 tonnes of explosives and is the US military's largest non-nuclear device.
There is something very scary indeed going on if they can cram 11 metric
tonnes of high explosives into something weighing in a shade under
9800kg. Conservation of mass violated or antigravity maybe ;-)

The explosive yield of a MOAB is equivalent to 11T of TNT.

Quite expensive too at $16M a pop.

That is still a big bomb - about 50% bigger than a DaisyCutter BLU-82.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLU-82
--
Regards,
Martin Brown