Old People Voting Brexit
2018-03-12 16:33:47 UTC
According to the government 18% of the population is 65 or over while
63% are between 16 and 64 and 21% are under 16.

So with a population of around 66 million, that means we have around
11.8 million old folk and around 41.5 million over 16 but not yet 65.

I cannot find figures for 16 to 18 unfortunately but as there are around
3.5 million in each 4 year group I will estimate half that so that would
suggest there are 39.75 million people of voting age, below 65.

So we have 11.5 million old folk and if we assume all of them voted, and
70% voted to leave the EU - that would be 8.26 million in favour of
leaving the EU.

So 8.26 old folk votes to leave vs 39.75 other potential votes - yet
this 8.25 million is reported over and over as being the game changer.

Is my maths wildly out or are we all being brainwashed?
pensive hamster
2018-03-12 16:51:51 UTC
According to the government 18% of the population is 65 or over while
63% are between 16 and 64 and 21% are under 16.
So with a population of around 66 million, that means we have around
11.8 million old folk and around 41.5 million over 16 but not yet 65.
I cannot find figures for 16 to 18 unfortunately but as there are around
3.5 million in each 4 year group I will estimate half that so that would
suggest there are 39.75 million people of voting age, below 65.
So we have 11.5 million old folk and if we assume all of them voted, and
70% voted to leave the EU - that would be 8.26 million in favour of
leaving the EU.
So 8.26 old folk votes to leave vs 39.75 other potential votes - yet
this 8.25 million is reported over and over as being the game changer.
Is my maths wildly out or are we all being brainwashed?
No, I don't think your maths is wildly out, but your choice of 39.75m
other potential votes as a comparator is a bit contrived.

Taking the 48% / 52% figure as a comparator, if the 8.26m old folk
had either not voted, or voted Remain, that would have changed the
outcome. I'm pretty sure 8.26m is more than 4% of the electorate.
pamela
2018-03-12 19:13:54 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Yellow
[...]
This IPSOS page gives a breakdown of the voting which shows the
strong correlation between Leave and age.

It doesn't weight the relative size of the age bands but population
distribution data is easy enough to find.

Why question all this now?

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-2016-eu-
referendum
The wheels are coming off the Brexit clown car
Tufnell Park
2018-03-12 17:17:15 UTC
According to the government 18% of the population is 65 or over while
63% are between 16 and 64 and 21% are under 16.
So with a population of around 66 million, that means we have around
11.8 million old folk and around 41.5 million over 16 but not yet 65.
I cannot find figures for 16 to 18 unfortunately but as there are around
3.5 million in each 4 year group I will estimate half that so that would
suggest there are 39.75 million people of voting age, below 65.
So we have 11.5 million old folk and if we assume all of them voted, and
70% voted to leave the EU - that would be 8.26 million in favour of
leaving the EU.
So 8.26 old folk votes to leave vs 39.75 other potential votes - yet
this 8.25 million is reported over and over as being the game changer.
Is my maths wildly out or are we all being brainwashed?
Those elegible to vote in the EU referendum numbered 46.5M

Of those 33.6M actually voted. 17,410,472 voted leave, 16,141,241 voted
remain.

Taking your figure of 70% of 11.5M viz 8.05M Then actually more people
under 65 voted to leave than those over 65.

The assertion that only 'old' people voted to leaved is patent nonsense,
so to that extent it is more likely we are being brainwashed by remoaners.
pensive hamster
2018-03-12 17:25:34 UTC
Post by Tufnell Park
Post by Yellow
[...]
The assertions seem to be rather that most 'old' people voted
to leave, and if those Leave voting old people had not voted
to Leave, the result would have been different.
Tufnell Park
2018-03-12 17:50:35 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Tufnell Park
Post by Yellow
[...]
You might also postulate that if more people aged under 65 voted remain
the result would also be different but it was what it was!

Why single out the over 65's?
JNugent
Because he wants to dehumanise us.
pensive hamster
2018-03-12 18:00:45 UTC
[...]
"Us"? Do you think I am under or over 65?
JNugent
2018-03-12 23:49:46 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
[...]
Post by JNugent
Post by Tufnell Park
Why single out the over 65's?
Because he wants to dehumanise us.
"Us"? Do you think I am under or over 65?
Does it matter?

If so, why?
pensive hamster
2018-03-13 17:40:50 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by pensive hamster
[...]
Post by JNugent
Post by Tufnell Park
Why single out the over 65's?
Because he wants to dehumanise us.
"Us"? Do you think I am under or over 65?
Does it matter?
If so, why?
It doesn't really matter, I was just curious why you seem
to think I am under 65. Perhaps I do come across as
young and hip ...
JNugent
Not at all.
pensive hamster
Are you a reliable expert on young and hip?
JNugent
More on what's neither of those things.
pensive hamster
2018-03-14 00:06:44 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by pensive hamster
Post by JNugent
Post by pensive hamster
Post by JNugent
Post by pensive hamster
[...]
Post by JNugent
Post by Tufnell Park
Why single out the over 65's?
Because he wants to dehumanise us.
"Us"? Do you think I am under or over 65?
Does it matter?
If so, why?
It doesn't really matter, I was just curious why you seem
to think I am under 65. Perhaps I do come across as
young and hip ...
Not at all.
Are you a reliable expert on young and hip?
More on what's neither of those things.
I was just double-checking. It's quite a relief I don't come
across as young and hip. Thanks for your reassurance.
JNugent
My pleasure.
Yellow
2018-03-12 18:28:39 UTC
On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 17:50:35 +0000 Tufnell Park <noreply492000-
Post by Tufnell Park
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Tufnell Park
Post by Yellow
[...]
I have not checked the figures myself, but wasn't there a story that if
all the under 25s who did not bother voting had voted to remain, remain
would have won?
Post by Tufnell Park
Why single out the over 65's?
There is an agenda, clearly - otherwise as you say, why?
James Wilkinson Sword
2018-03-14 00:15:39 UTC
Post by Tufnell Park
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Tufnell Park
Post by Yellow
[...]
Pure conjecture by the losers of the referendum. Just live with the result!
--
What do you call kinky sex with chocolate?
S&M&M
Vidcapper
2018-03-14 08:13:49 UTC
I have not checked the figures myself, but wasn't there a story that if
all the under 25s who did not bother voting had voted to remain, remain
would have won?
Newsflash : elections are not won by people who don't vote!
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Yellow
2018-03-14 21:48:51 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Yellow
I have not checked the figures myself, but wasn't there a story that if
all the under 25s who did not bother voting had voted to remain, remain
would have won?
Newsflash : elections are not won by people who don't vote!
Never said they did, and I have no idea what you think you have gained
by taking a sentence out of its context to claim otherwise.
James Wilkinson Sword
2018-03-15 00:16:43 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Yellow
I have not checked the figures myself, but wasn't there a story that if
all the under 25s who did not bother voting had voted to remain, remain
would have won?
Newsflash : elections are not won by people who don't vote!
Never said they did, and I have no idea what you think you have gained
by taking a sentence out of its context to claim otherwise.
He was pointing out you're a moron clutching at straws to suggest non voters should be somehow counted.
"The most dangerous thing in the world is to try to leap a chasm in two jumps" -- David Lloyd George, former UK Prime Minister
Dan S. MacAbre
2018-03-12 18:11:42 UTC
According to the government 18% of the population is 65 or over while
63% are between 16 and 64 and 21% are under 16.
So with a population of around 66 million, that means we have around
11.8 million old folk and around 41.5 million over 16 but not yet 65.
I cannot find figures for 16 to 18 unfortunately but as there are around
3.5 million in each 4 year group I will estimate half that so that would
suggest there are 39.75 million people of voting age, below 65.
So we have 11.5 million old folk and if we assume all of them voted, and
70% voted to leave the EU - that would be 8.26 million in favour of
leaving the EU.
So 8.26 old folk votes to leave vs 39.75 other potential votes - yet
this 8.25 million is reported over and over as being the game changer.
Is my maths wildly out or are we all being brainwashed?
It's probably a case of trying to make one thing seem more fashionable
than another. If you can popularise the idea that old people think one
thing, then you can easily make young people think another.
Unfortunately, you need to be old and cynical to spot this trick, since
only then you will have worked out that the same thing probably happened
when you were younger, too :-)
Vidcapper
2018-03-13 07:51:38 UTC
According to the government 18% of the population is 65 or over while
63% are between 16 and 64 and 21% are under 16.
So with a population of around 66 million, that means we have around
11.8 million old folk and around 41.5 million over 16 but not yet 65.
I cannot find figures for 16 to 18 unfortunately but as there are around
3.5 million in each 4 year group I will estimate half that so that would
suggest there are 39.75 million people of voting age, below 65.
So we have 11.5 million old folk and if we assume all of them voted, and
70% voted to leave the EU - that would be 8.26 million in favour of
leaving the EU.
So 8.26 old folk votes to leave vs 39.75 other potential votes - yet
this 8.25 million is reported over and over as being the game changer.
Is my maths wildly out or are we all being brainwashed?
Well, 18% + 63% + 21% = 102%, so that's not a good start - although that
may be the govt's fault if that really is a direct quote... ;)
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Yellow
2018-03-13 12:13:54 UTC
In article <eqLpC.134226$***@fx45.am4>, ***@yahoo.co.uk
says...
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Yellow
[...]
Really? LOL! I obviously rounded or do you think that the percentages
magically just happened came out as whole numbers. :-)
James Wilkinson Sword
2018-03-14 00:14:39 UTC
According to the government 18% of the population is 65 or over while
63% are between 16 and 64 and 21% are under 16.
So with a population of around 66 million, that means we have around
11.8 million old folk and around 41.5 million over 16 but not yet 65.
I cannot find figures for 16 to 18 unfortunately but as there are around
3.5 million in each 4 year group I will estimate half that so that would
suggest there are 39.75 million people of voting age, below 65.
So we have 11.5 million old folk and if we assume all of them voted, and
70% voted to leave the EU - that would be 8.26 million in favour of
leaving the EU.
So 8.26 old folk votes to leave vs 39.75 other potential votes - yet
this 8.25 million is reported over and over as being the game changer.
Is my maths wildly out or are we all being brainwashed?
All I can see is you need to get a life.
"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed." - U.S. Air Force Pilot training manual
Yellow
Nah, too expensive where as winding you up is free. :-)
The Peeler
2018-03-14 09:14:42 UTC
Nah, too expensive where as winding you up is free. :-)
Troll-feeding idiot!
James Wilkinson Sword
2018-03-14 19:10:27 UTC
Post by Yellow
[...]
You're not winding me up, you're just persuading me you're even stupider than I thought.
--
Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software License Agreement.
In the end, you ignore everything and click "I agree".
Yellow
Always best to assume thick as shit, that is my best advice to you.
James Wilkinson Sword
2018-03-14 22:02:16 UTC
Post by Yellow
[...]
Since the average IQ is only 100, that's true of most people.
--
In 1272, the Arabic Muslims invented the condom, using a goat's lower intestine.
In 1873, the British refined the idea by taking the intestine out of the goat first.
Yellow
Yep, you'd have to be stupid not to think that.
James Wilkinson Sword
2018-03-14 23:04:42 UTC
Post by Yellow
[...]
Can't we have a national exam and kill off the bottom 20%?
Or just remove all health and softy regulations, speed limits, etc, and let people get run over that don't look before crossing or fall off ladders etc.
--
How do they seperate the men from the boys in the Navy?
With a crowbar.
The Peeler
2018-03-14 23:33:10 UTC
Yep, you'd have to be stupid not to think that.
...says the stupid idiot who keeps feeding the filthiest troll around!
Simply unbelievable! <tsk>
The Peeler
2018-03-14 22:16:09 UTC
Always best to assume thick as shit, that is my best advice to you.
Troll-feeding moron!