Does Daniel Hannan Have a Point?
2018-03-04 23:06:31 UTC
YouGov have tweeted the result of a poll that asked if we were right or
wrong to have voted leave in the referendum.

Result - 44% Leave, 45% Remain.

Astonishingly close, still, and Hannan has piped up with an interesting
point -

The Remain campaign is still going strong, everywhere we look, while the
Leave Campaign packed up shop when the result of the referendum was
announced.

Yet still the result this week, a year and a half later, was 44% Leave,
45% Remain.
The Todal
2018-03-05 01:25:22 UTC
YouGov have tweeted the result of a poll that asked if we were right or
wrong to have voted leave in the referendum.
Result - 44% Leave, 45% Remain.
Astonishingly close, still, and Hannan has piped up with an interesting
point -
The Remain campaign is still going strong, everywhere we look, while the
Leave Campaign packed up shop when the result of the referendum was
announced.
Yet still the result this week, a year and a half later, was 44% Leave,
45% Remain.
That would be Daniel Hannan the "diehard Brexiter" so hardly an
impartial commentator.

It's simply not true that the Leave campaign has packed up shop. The
Leave campaign is represented by the Government, by the Opposition and
by numerous pundits, and of course by Nigel Farage continually offering
his opinions.

I can't find a link to that latest poll that you've mentioned. It sounds
plausible but is there a detailed analysis of the figures?
JNugent
2018-03-05 01:36:54 UTC
YouGov have tweeted the result of a poll that asked if we were right or
wrong to have voted leave in the referendum.
Result - 44% Leave, 45% Remain.
Astonishingly close, still, and Hannan has piped up with an interesting
point -
The Remain campaign is still going strong, everywhere we look, while the
Leave Campaign packed up shop when the result of the referendum was
announced.
Yet still the result this week, a year and a half later, was 44% Leave,
45% Remain.
That would be Daniel Hannan the "diehard Brexiter" so hardly an
impartial commentator.
It's simply not true that the Leave campaign has packed up shop. The
Leave campaign is represented by the Government, by the Opposition...
...but they are not running a campaign of persuasion to the Leave view.

"Leave" has won and the government is implementing that, whilst Labour
is trying to make political mischief if they can but not by going as far
as direct confrontation with the winners.
pamela
2018-03-05 10:20:06 UTC
Post by JNugent
[...]
Actually Leave has not "won" in the way you describe.

What you may mean is that a slim majority in the referendum took the
view to Leave the EU and this view has now gone forward as advice to
the government. So, Leave "won" the advice given to the government.

The government will decide what to do and it's not obliged to listen
to special interest lobby groups, extremists, armchair pundit or
biased newspapers. That's how our deomcracy works. The UK is not
ruled by plebiscite.

No binding promises were made in the referendum campaign. Nor is
there any comeback for false promises made.

In other words, Leave "won" the battle but it did not win the war.
This misunderstanding by Leavers triggers their angst when moderate
and sensible arrangements get made for Brexit.
The wheels are coming off the Brexit clown car
Yellow
2018-03-05 02:33:29 UTC
YouGov have tweeted the result of a poll that asked if we were right or
wrong to have voted leave in the referendum.
Result - 44% Leave, 45% Remain.
Astonishingly close, still, and Hannan has piped up with an interesting
point -
The Remain campaign is still going strong, everywhere we look, while the
Leave Campaign packed up shop when the result of the referendum was
announced.
Yet still the result this week, a year and a half later, was 44% Leave,
45% Remain.
That would be Daniel Hannan the "diehard Brexiter" so hardly an
impartial commentator.
So he is not entitled to an opinion?
Post by The Todal
It's simply not true that the Leave campaign has packed up shop.
Really? Then where is it?

Meanwhile, the remain campaign has even been touring the country on a
bus claiming that that Brexit will cost 'us' £2,000 million a week.
Post by The Todal
The
Leave campaign is represented by the Government,
That is a good one. :-)

The Government campaigned to remain you may recall if I nudge your
memory and most of Parliament, on all sides of the house, as well as in
the Lords, wish us to remain.

Mrs May is doing the right thing (on the face of it) but bloody hell she
is having a battle.

And of course does the civil service and the local government in London
and many of the cities.
Post by The Todal
by the Opposition
The opposition wish us to stay in the Customs Union, they wish to
continue the free movement of people and I would bet a chocolate biscuit
that they will shortly be openly (rather than the current covert
position) campaigning to remain in the Single Market too.
Post by The Todal
and
by numerous pundits,
Like who? And as a proportion of remain pundits?
Post by The Todal
and of course by Nigel Farage continually offering
his opinions.
Farage has been on the telly twice in the last few months that I have
seen - once on The Daily Politics a fortnight ago and on this week's
Question Time.

Where else is his popular media platform?
Post by The Todal
I can't find a link to that latest poll that you've mentioned. It sounds
plausible but is there a detailed analysis of the figures?
The result was posted on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/search?q=yougov&src=typd
The Todal
2018-03-05 10:49:33 UTC
It's simply not true that the Leave campaign has packed up shop.
Really? Then where is it?
Everywhere. The Press regularly tells us that Rees-Mogg or one of his
mates has served a set of demands on the government. The only people
campaigning for Remain seem to be figures of ridicule like Tony Blair,
John Major and Ken Clarke.
Post by Yellow
Meanwhile, the remain campaign has even been touring the country on a
bus claiming that that Brexit will cost 'us' £2,000 million a week.
Really? I haven't seen that anywhere. I suppose you mean those press
reports about one single solitary bus which has attracted ridicule. It's
megaphone politics, of course. Nobody will be swayed by a message on a
bus especially as there's nothing whatsoever that they can do now that
the actual referendum is long finished.

You shouldn't be fearful that we'll be cheated out of our Brexit. That
simply isn't going to happen. There are wonderful new trading
opportunities out there - for one thing, we're about to embark on a
fantastic new trading partnership with the United States. The world
looks very rosy at this point.

Theresa May tells Donald Trump not to launch trade war
Tariffs risk devastating British steel industry
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/theresa-may-tells-donald-trump-not-to-launch-trade-war-gg8x2pd6f
Yellow
2018-03-05 17:56:08 UTC
It's simply not true that the Leave campaign has packed up shop.
Really? Then where is it?
Everywhere. The Press regularly tells us that Rees-Mogg or one of his
mates has served a set of demands on the government. The only people
campaigning for Remain seem to be figures of ridicule like Tony Blair,
John Major and Ken Clarke.
So in your view Rees-Mogg is a respected figure that people across the
UK listen to and change their opinions because of what he says while
Blair, Major and Clarke are figures of fun?

LOL!

Seriously?

And that was your best example. :-)
Meanwhile, the remain campaign has even been touring the country on a
bus claiming that that Brexit will cost 'us' £2,000 million a week.
Really?
www.theargus.co.uk/news/16051622.Welcome_aboard_the_new_anti_Brexit_bus/
Post by The Todal
I haven't seen that anywhere. I suppose you mean those press
reports about one single solitary bus which has attracted ridicule. It's
megaphone politics, of course. Nobody will be swayed by a message on a
bus especially as there's nothing whatsoever that they can do now that
the actual referendum is long finished.
You shouldn't be fearful that we'll be cheated out of our Brexit.
Mrs May's speech has washed away any fears I may have had. :-)
Post by The Todal
That
simply isn't going to happen. There are wonderful new trading
opportunities out there - for one thing, we're about to embark on a
fantastic new trading partnership with the United States. The world
looks very rosy at this point.
Theresa May tells Donald Trump not to launch trade war
Tariffs risk devastating British steel industry
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/theresa-may-tells-donald-trump-not-to-launch-trade-war-gg8x2pd6f
So you think we should stay in the EU because of Trump? Makes a change
from the more fashionable notion that we should stay in the EU because
of Ireland I suppose.

But how about we just do what the people of the UK want? A novel concept
perhaps but maybe worth some thought?
The Todal
2018-03-05 18:15:05 UTC
It's simply not true that the Leave campaign has packed up shop.
Really? Then where is it?
Everywhere. The Press regularly tells us that Rees-Mogg or one of his
mates has served a set of demands on the government. The only people
campaigning for Remain seem to be figures of ridicule like Tony Blair,
John Major and Ken Clarke.
So in your view Rees-Mogg is a respected figure that people across the
UK listen to and change their opinions because of what he says while
Blair, Major and Clarke are figures of fun?
LOL!
Seriously?
And that was your best example. :-)
He does seem to be respected by many voters - deluded fools that they
are - and unlike Blair or Major he's an MP with a following of other
MPs. Maybe he isn't always their spokesman.
Post by The Todal
I haven't seen that anywhere. I suppose you mean those press
reports about one single solitary bus which has attracted ridicule. It's
megaphone politics, of course. Nobody will be swayed by a message on a
bus especially as there's nothing whatsoever that they can do now that
the actual referendum is long finished.
You shouldn't be fearful that we'll be cheated out of our Brexit.
Mrs May's speech has washed away any fears I may have had. :-)
I really think she has now seized the initiative and won the respect of
the entire nation.

It helps that the entire nation was scared shitless that Boris might be
in the running to take over as PM.

Here's one barrister's satirical piece about Brexit.

“I’ve got a copy of Mrs May’s letter.”
“Good. Does it say what we’re asking for.”
“It couldn’t be clearer. 5 things.”
“Namely …?”

“I’ll read the relevant bits to you. They make everything crystal clear.
1. My client seeks an agreement that’s fair and workable.
My client seeks an agreement that’s workable and fair.
My client wants to pay no more than the correct amount, but no less
either.
My client wants to pay no less than the correct amount, but no more
either.
My client wants an agreement on the house that is fair to everybody.”
“So what are we actually asking for?”
“Ho! Ho! Ho! I don’t think you can spell it out more clearly than that.”

http://barristerblogger.com/2018/03/02/may-fox-davis-mckenzie-friends-negotiation/
Ian Jackson
2018-03-05 08:42:29 UTC
[...]
The Leave campaign is FAR from being over. For a start, LBC provide
Nigel Farage with a 6 hour per week platform, most of which he puts to
good use ensuring that the support of the faithful does not flag or
falter. OK, some of the other presenters are obvious Remain supporters,
but they don't use nearly all their air-time as a party-political
broadcast in quite the same way NF does (not even James o'Brien!).
Ian
tim
2018-03-05 10:17:21 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Yellow
[...]
you really think that LBC is a mainstream provider of news/analysis for the
"normal" person?

My news come from the TV and national newspapers. I don't look anywhere
else.

I suspect I am in the same set as the vast majority

tim
pamela
2018-03-05 10:20:55 UTC
Post by tim
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
Can you name a national newspaper which is unbiased?
The wheels are coming off the Brexit clown car
tim
2018-03-05 10:31:00 UTC
Post by pamela
Post by tim
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
what's that got to do with the price of fish

tim
Post by pamela
The wheels are coming off the Brexit clown car
Ian Jackson
2018-03-05 10:48:32 UTC
Post by tim
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
You need to define "the normal person".
Post by tim
My news come from the TV and national newspapers. I don't look
anywhere else.
Don't you understand the meaning of "for a start"? It means that this is
just one of many examples - in this case, examples of where (and how)
the Leave campaign is continuing unabated (but which, for some reason,
you decided to delete totally).

You openly admit that your news comes from the TV and national
newspapers, and you don't look anywhere else - but there's also a lot of
debate on the radio, Throughout the day, on LBC, the 'unfinished
business' of Brexit is a frequent topic (either directly or indirectly)
- and possibly, to a lesser extent, it is on other stations. However,
LBC is the only station that gives Nigel Farage 6 hours per week of
phone-in time - and a heck of a lot of this is about Brexit. He's an
absolutely eloquent speaker and (especially for those who are already of
a certain persuasion) skilled at convincing listeners that Brexit is
what we want. I seriously suggest that you (and everyone else) try and
have a listen to him - but do so at your own risk!
Post by tim
I suspect I am in the same set as the vast majority
I'd say your suspicions are totally unfounded!
Ian
pensive hamster
2018-03-05 16:25:02 UTC
On Monday, 5 March 2018 10:48:40 UTC, Ian Jackson wrote:
[...]
Post by Ian Jackson
Throughout the day, on LBC, the 'unfinished
business' of Brexit is a frequent topic (either directly or indirectly)
- and possibly, to a lesser extent, it is on other stations. However,
LBC is the only station that gives Nigel Farage 6 hours per week of
phone-in time - and a heck of a lot of this is about Brexit. He's an
absolutely eloquent speaker and (especially for those who are already of
a certain persuasion) skilled at convincing listeners that Brexit is
what we want. I seriously suggest that you (and everyone else) try and
have a listen to him - but do so at your own risk!
Apparently Nigel Farage was on Question Time last week.
And there is a shortish video, 3:42, of him on the Telegraph
site questioning whether Theresa May is up to the job of
delivering Brexit:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/03/03/mays-speech-laudable-question-persists-really/?playlist=structure:politics
GB
2018-03-05 16:53:56 UTC
It's got to the stage where I feel sorry for the lady.
pensive hamster
2018-03-05 17:07:04 UTC
Post by GB
Post by pensive hamster
questioning whether Theresa May is up to the job of
It's got to the stage where I feel sorry for the lady.
Yes, I feel rather like that, too.

I quite like the Matt cartoon in today's Telegraph - two people
are in an office labelled 'Brexit Dept', and one is gazing
wistfully out of the window at the snow, and commenting
'It's so pure and lovely at first and then it turns into a slushy mess.'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/
Yellow
2018-03-05 17:46:40 UTC
On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 10:48:32 +0000 Ian Jackson
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by tim
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
Someone who does not live in London for a start. Someone who has the
news on the telly or Radio 2 or 4 at tea time or on the telly later in
the evening. Someone who reads the BBC website, and who looks at the
news paper sites in general.

The Daily Mail website gets the most hits world wide apparently.

A phone-in show on LBC? Not so much. That is entertainment, not news.
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by tim
My news come from the TV and national newspapers. I don't look
anywhere else.
Don't you understand the meaning of "for a start"? It means that this is
just one of many examples - in this case, examples of where (and how)
the Leave campaign is continuing unabated (but which, for some reason,
you decided to delete totally).
You are missing the point - which is what is going on around us without
having to go looking for it? What are the headlines on the news? What is
being reported on the front pages of the papers? Who are the guests on
Question Time?

This is not about someone having an obscure radio show that you have to
go out of your way to listen to. How many non-London people have even
heard of LBC?

Meanwhile - front page on Brighton and Hove's The Argus ->

Post by Ian Jackson
You openly admit that your news comes from the TV and national
newspapers, and you don't look anywhere else - but there's also a lot of
debate on the radio, Throughout the day, on LBC, the 'unfinished
business' of Brexit is a frequent topic (either directly or indirectly)
- and possibly, to a lesser extent, it is on other stations. However,
LBC is the only station that gives Nigel Farage 6 hours per week of
phone-in time - and a heck of a lot of this is about Brexit. He's an
absolutely eloquent speaker and (especially for those who are already of
a certain persuasion) skilled at convincing listeners that Brexit is
what we want. I seriously suggest that you (and everyone else) try and
have a listen to him - but do so at your own risk!
The fact you have to try to persuade people to listen to this show tells
you how interested most of us are in LBC - which is not very.
Yellow
2018-03-05 17:31:49 UTC
On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 08:42:29 +0000 Ian Jackson
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
They do indeed - at 7pm on a London radio station that no one outside of
the capital can get on FM so cannot even listen to in their cars.

Or do you really think the average person turns off their telly every
night to listen to him as part of a continuing "leave campaign"?

I dare you to say "yes". :-)

Meanwhile, he last appeared on Question Time. before this week, in 2016.
He is almost never on The Daily or Sunday Politics or the other Sunday
political shows.
Post by Ian Jackson
most of which he puts to
good use ensuring that the support of the faithful does not flag or
falter. OK, some of the other presenters are obvious Remain supporters,
but they don't use nearly all their air-time as a party-political
broadcast in quite the same way NF does (not even James o'Brien!).
I would put money (but not much as I am not a gambler) on O'Brien's day
time show getting a much bigger audience than Farage at 7pm. Do you have
figures out of interest?

But never mind all that - this is not about how many hours Farage or
O'Brien have on some London radio show but about the main stream "in
your face" campaigning that we are seeing. John Major and Tony Blair for
example have been all over the main stream news this week and there is
no leave-centric example to offer against them.
pensive hamster
2018-03-05 18:02:55 UTC
[...]
Post by Yellow
Post by Ian Jackson
The Leave campaign is FAR from being over. For a start, LBC provide
Nigel Farage with a 6 hour per week platform,
They do indeed - at 7pm on a London radio station that no one outside of
the capital can get on FM so cannot even listen to in their cars.
LBC seems to be on DAB too, which some cars have.
I'm not a Londoner, but I have certainly heard of LBC.
Though I am not a fan of talk or phone-in radio, I prefer
music or R4.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/how-to-listen/lbc-on-digital-radio/
Listen to LBC across the country in crystal-clear digital radio.
pamela
2018-03-05 20:09:20 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
[...]
Post by Yellow
Post by Ian Jackson
The Leave campaign is FAR from being over. For a start, LBC
provide Nigel Farage with a 6 hour per week platform,
They do indeed - at 7pm on a London radio station that no one
outside of the capital can get on FM so cannot even listen to in
their cars.
LBC seems to be on DAB too, which some cars have.
I'm not a Londoner, but I have certainly heard of LBC.
Though I am not a fan of talk or phone-in radio, I prefer
music or R4.
http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/how-to-listen/lbc-on-digital-radio/
Listen to LBC across the country in crystal-clear digital radio.
It's easy to listen to LBC. I get it on a DAB portable, from web
streaming, on Radioplayer or TuneIn playing through wifi speakers and
on my Freeview telly.