BT
j***@gmail.com
2017-05-19 08:55:01 UTC
BT offers a£200 gift card if I were to sign up from broadband if they do not provide the gift card can I break my contract with them without a disconnection fee?
Fredxxx
2017-05-19 11:46:12 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
BT offers a£200 gift card if I were to sign up from broadband if they
do not provide the gift card can I break my contract with them
without a disconnection fee?
As long as it wasn't a 'free' gift card. Otherwise it could be a form of
consideration and contractually enforceable.

However, a lacking performance in one part of a contract does not
generally invalidate the whole contract. Many contracts also state this
implicitly.

You may be able to argue that the gift card should offset a
disconnection fee, however they could argue the card has no, or
negligible, value.