MOAB
burfordTjustice
2017-04-13 19:14:30 UTC
The USofA has dropped a MOAB in Afghanistan.

Holy Moly! Game on!
A. Filip
2017-04-13 19:17:05 UTC
Post by burfordTjustice
The USofA has dropped a MOAB in Afghanistan.
Holy Moly! Game on!
Is the war over NOW? ;-)
--
A. Filip
Byker
2017-04-13 19:19:32 UTC
Get that assembly line rolling!: http://tinyurl.com/mbvfqv7
Omega
2017-04-13 20:39:31 UTC
Post by burfordTjustice
The USofA has dropped a MOAB in Afghanistan.
Holy Moly! Game on!
Okay this could be the start of something big but a huge bomb on 'caves'
in Afghanistan?

Haven't we been there before?

At best, a bomb aiming exercise, 100% perfect, , assuming they actually
hit a cave ...

At worst? A group of dervishes resigned to a plight of rightfully
enjoying life.

Just thinking

omega
Nightjar
2017-04-14 08:38:02 UTC
Post by Omega
Post by burfordTjustice
The USofA has dropped a MOAB in Afghanistan.
Holy Moly! Game on!
Okay this could be the start of something big but a huge bomb on 'caves'
in Afghanistan?
Haven't we been there before?
At best, a bomb aiming exercise, 100% perfect, , assuming they actually
hit a cave ...
They don't want to actually *hit* anything. The MOAB is an air burst
weapon and it is the flame front that creates that penetrates the caves.
Whether that is more or less effective than simply carpet bombing the
area with conventional munitions is a matter of dispute. The MOAB gets
better press coverage though.

Colin Bignell
A. Filip
2017-04-14 09:00:40 UTC
Post by Omega
Post by burfordTjustice
The USofA has dropped a MOAB in Afghanistan.
Holy Moly! Game on!
Okay this could be the start of something big but a huge bomb on
'caves' in Afghanistan?
Haven't we been there before?
At best, a bomb aiming exercise, 100% perfect, , assuming they
actually hit a cave ...
At worst? A group of dervishes resigned to a plight of rightfully
enjoying life.
Just thinking
omega
It was not the only area US+UK+NATO are unable to control in Afghanistan,
was it?

US+UK+NATO *can* win war in Afghanistan.
US+UK+NATO *can not* win war in Afghanistan at acceptable/reasonable costs.
Let US start discussing what can be achieved at acceptable/reasonable costs.
Let US start to apply "cost effective" mix of military might _and diplomacy_.
--
A. Filip
burfordTjustice
2017-04-14 11:51:22 UTC
On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 21:39:31 +0100
Post by Omega
Post by burfordTjustice
The USofA has dropped a MOAB in Afghanistan.
Holy Moly! Game on!
Okay this could be the start of something big but a huge bomb on
'caves' in Afghanistan?
Haven't we been there before?
At best, a bomb aiming exercise, 100% perfect, , assuming they
actually hit a cave ...
At worst? A group of dervishes resigned to a plight of rightfully
enjoying life.
Just thinking
omega
Clearly you have no clue what a MOAB is designed to due.

searchengine
Omega
2017-04-14 12:51:25 UTC
Post by Omega
Post by burfordTjustice
The USofA has dropped a MOAB in Afghanistan.
Holy Moly! Game on!
Okay this could be the start of something big but a huge bomb on
'caves' in Afghanistan?
Haven't we been there before?
At best, a bomb aiming exercise, 100% perfect, , assuming they
actually hit a cave ...
At worst? A group of dervishes resigned to a plight of rightfully
enjoying life.
Just thinking
omega
Clearly you have no clue what a MOAB is designed to due.
searchengine
And clearly Burps, I'm sorry, you have missed my point.

We watch a bomb dropped from a Herc, makes a huge fucking splash above
ground over some mundane patch of land in the hills, to then be told,
several dozens of terrorists were killed in the explosion.

I think I would like some corroborative evidence to back up that claim
in the present political climate.

Considering the technology we have at our disposal, at the moment, we
have a very mediocre piece of video showing a puff of smoke out in the
middle of nowhere and fuck all else.

I'll be first to my my hand up if anyone here can point the way! I
would actually like it to be true! Evidence?

omega
GB
2017-04-14 13:11:19 UTC
Post by Omega
Post by burfordTjustice
[...]
I'm apparently the only one to have reservations about this.

Nevertheless, if I were the US trying to assess the damage done, I'd be
aware of the approximate number of the opposition firing on friendly
troops before the bombing. I'd be aware of the approximate number of the
opposition firing on friendly troops since the bombing.
Ned Latham
2017-04-14 15:42:37 UTC
Post by GB
Post by Omega
Post by burfordTjustice
Post by Omega
Post by burfordTjustice
[...]
Supposedly, MOAB is an acronym, standing for "Massive Ordinace Air Blast:.

If that's true, it indicates some confusion of the part of its namers,
because it was (again, supposedly) designed as a "bunker-buster", in
the style of the British "earthquake" bombs of WW II. As an air blast
weapon, it would be a gross inefficiency: gas bombs give much more
bang for the buck, but as a shock weapon, penetrating deep before
exploding, it should cause a lot of damnage to inderground structures.

We're told that what we saw was just that, an attack on a cave or
tunnel system; if it was that, and accurate, the area is no longer
as asset for the enemy.

But it didn't look subterranean to me.

Ned
Nightjar
2017-04-14 16:43:24 UTC
On 14-Apr-17 4:42 PM, Ned Latham wrote:
Post by Ned Latham
Supposedly, MOAB is an acronym, standing for "Massive Ordinace Air Blast:.
Which is what the weapon is. There is discussion over which is the best
way to deal with a cave system - an air blast weapon, blanket bombing,
or guided bunker buster bombs. However, if you want to give POTUS a
publicity opportunity, choose the MOAB, which has never been used in
action before.

Colin Bignell
Ned Latham
2017-04-15 06:32:30 UTC
Post by Nightjar
Post by Ned Latham
Supposedly, MOAB is an acronym, standing for "Massive Ordinace Air Blast:.
Which is what the weapon is. There is discussion over which is the best
way to deal with a cave system - an air blast weapon, blanket bombing,
or guided bunker buster bombs. However, if you want to give POTUS a
publicity opportunity, choose the MOAB, which has never been used in
action before.
Nowhere near massive enough to be effective as an air blast weapon
against underground assets that are anything like well built. That's
why the Tallboy and Grand Slam were designed to penetrate deep into
the ground before exploding. It causes a local earthquake.

A big enough air blast will punch a cavern flat if it and the target
are both near enough to ground zero, but the power required is
disproportionate: with all but nuclear weapons, the target needs
to be only a few tens of metres away, because the blast deflects
along the ground. As I said, a gas bomb delivers much more bang for
the buck (as an air blast weapon).

MOAB is a misnomer. It should be called what it is. Maybe then it
would get used correctly.
Nightjar
2017-04-15 08:53:59 UTC
Post by Ned Latham
Post by Nightjar
Post by Ned Latham
[...]
I think you are missing my point. The weapon was almost certainly chosen
not for its effectiveness, but for its publicity value. Donald Trump is
sending a message both to the world and to his supporters.

Colin Bignell
burfordTjustice
2017-04-15 10:29:11 UTC
On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 09:53:59 +0100
Post by Nightjar
Post by Ned Latham
Post by Nightjar
Post by Ned Latham
[...]
Clearly you are clueless, Trump did not approve the dropping of
the MOAB. His prior approval was not needed.
Ned Latham
2017-04-15 11:12:32 UTC
Post by burfordTjustice
Post by Nightjar
Post by Ned Latham
Post by Nightjar
Post by Ned Latham
[...]
What gives you that idea?
Post by burfordTjustice
His prior approval was not needed.
If Trump didn't order it for the political reason that Nightjar
suggested, the question arises as to why was it used at all.
As a purely military excercise, the use of MOAB to kill a few
snipers is an extremely expensive absurdity.

Ned
Graham T
2017-04-15 11:28:14 UTC
Post by Ned Latham
Post by burfordTjustice
Post by Nightjar
Post by Ned Latham
Post by burfordTjustice
His prior approval was not needed.
If Trump didn't order it for the political reason that Nightjar
suggested, the question arises as to why was it used at all.
As a purely military excercise, the use of MOAB to kill a few
snipers is an extremely expensive absurdity.
Ned
The idea was to put the shits up IS with a great big bang. Even 90 dead
is not good VFM.

burfordTjustice
Kill rate was not the main objective. Do try to stay current.
burfordTjustice
2017-04-15 12:58:27 UTC
On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 11:12:32 GMT
Post by Ned Latham
Post by burfordTjustice
Post by Nightjar
Post by Ned Latham
Post by burfordTjustice
His prior approval was not needed.
If Trump didn't order it for the political reason that Nightjar
suggested, the question arises as to why was it used at all.
As a purely military excercise, the use of MOAB to kill a few
snipers is an extremely expensive absurdity.
Ned
Cause that is the fact....You would already have know that
if you really was wanting the truth...
Ned Latham
You wanna translate that into English? *What* is the fact?
burfordTjustice

Ned Latham
2017-04-15 10:46:33 UTC
Post by Nightjar
Post by Ned Latham
Post by Nightjar
Post by Ned Latham
[...]
Mmm, okay. Point taken. I remain surprised that a target more in
keeping wuth the bomb's nature wasn't selected, but then I don't
even know whether there *is* one in Aghanistan.

Ned
R. Mark Clayton
Given the scale of the blast, it would need to go off at least 2km from the nearest settlement. As it happens it is quite good against dug in installations due to the over-pressure - without a lid the people in them will be killed.
Nightjar
2017-04-14 16:38:40 UTC
On 14-Apr-17 1:51 PM, Omega wrote:
Post by Omega
We watch a bomb dropped from a Herc, makes a huge fucking splash above
ground over some mundane patch of land in the hills, to then be told,
several dozens of terrorists were killed in the explosion...
I assume they would use library footage of a test firing, rather than
have a cameraman out in bandit territory.

Colin Bignell
Omega
2017-04-14 17:45:34 UTC
Post by Nightjar
Post by Omega
We watch a bomb dropped from a Herc, makes a huge fucking splash above
ground over some mundane patch of land in the hills, to then be told,
several dozens of terrorists were killed in the explosion...
I assume they would use library footage of a test firing, rather than
have a cameraman out in bandit territory.

The strike was allegedly videoed from a drone.

I own a drone and can tell you a Dji Phantom 3 drone would have given
far more dramatic an a account of events.

omega
Nightjar
2017-04-14 18:50:41 UTC
On 14-Apr-17 6:45 PM, Omega wrote:
Post by Omega
http://youtu.be/MZ8j4QlYcYk
The strike was allegedly videoed from a drone.
I keep forgetting about drones, but that would make sense; it could go
in and look at the target after the attack too.
Post by Omega
I own a drone and can tell you a Dji Phantom 3 drone would have given
far more dramatic an a account of events.
I expect its weapons payload is less though :-)

Colin Bignell
burfordTjustice
2017-04-15 10:26:55 UTC
Post by Omega
Post by burfordTjustice
[...]
See you clearly do not know what it was designed for and what it did.

Keep reading your lefty apologists sites
Omega
2017-04-15 10:55:23 UTC
Post by Omega
Post by burfordTjustice
[...]
I'm not a geologist, nor an aerial photograph analyser but the video
appears to describe the landscape, where the blast took place, as
sedimentary, not very conducive ground for building secret hidden caves
and caverns, is it?

Kill rate for this blast, now reported as 90 from the three dozen
yesterday and who has reported this, a local, lying through his fucking
teeth local arab tribesman. Come, come dear fellow!

Why do you always scream leftist apologist whenever you are challenged,
wouldn't you prefer to know exactly, for yourself, what has gone on,
with this 'politically motivated', dropping of so large an ordinance in
the middle of nowhere?

I have proposed, something fishy with this huge blast, and so far no
answers. It is NOT believing the lefty or righest media that puts me in
this place!

Answers please, not a fucking pillow fight. If 90 terrorists have
copped it, that is good news but let's have some evidence other than a
fluffy ball of fire and dust in the middle of nowhere!

omega
Graham T
2017-04-15 11:29:50 UTC
Post by Omega
Post by burfordTjustice
[...]
Makes a change from a lying through his fucking teeth Trumpet.

Come, come dear fellow!
2017-04-15 11:48:31 UTC
On Saturday, 15 April 2017 11:55:25 UTC+1, Omega wrote:
SNIP
Post by Omega
I'm not a geologist, nor an aerial photograph analyser but the video
appears to describe the landscape, where the blast took place, as
sedimentary, not very conducive ground for building secret hidden caves
and caverns, is it?
I am not a geologist beyond O'level geology, but in Stockport near me there are self supporting railway tunnels, various chimneys and other tunnels and WWII bomb shelters all dug into the nice old red sandstone...

Limestone and even chalk (as at Dover) also good for tunnels.
omega
burfordTjustice
2017-04-15 12:56:55 UTC
Post by Omega
Post by burfordTjustice
[...]
Clearly you are stuck in your cave and do not care to discover the
facts.
Your problem not ours.
Most of the rest of the world is thrilled with the result beyound
the kill rare.
harry
2017-04-14 06:53:14 UTC
Brits dropped bigger bombs on Nazi Europe on 42 occasions seventy odd years ago.
Nightjar
2017-04-14 08:29:59 UTC
Post by harry
Post by burfordTjustice
The USofA has dropped a MOAB in Afghanistan.
Holy Moly! Game on!
Brits dropped bigger bombs on Nazi Europe on 42 occasions seventy odd years ago.
Even if you go by gross weight, that isn't true. The MOAB is about 300kg
heavier than the Grand Slam. However, by explosive fill weight, the
MOAB, which doesn't need the strong penetrating casing of the Grand
Slam, is more than twice as powerful.

Colin Bignell
burfordTjustice
2017-04-14 12:01:52 UTC
On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 23:53:14 -0700 (PDT)
Post by harry
Post by burfordTjustice
The USofA has dropped a MOAB in Afghanistan.
Holy Moly! Game on!
Brits dropped bigger bombs on Nazi Europe on 42 occasions seventy odd years ago.
The MOAB is designed for a different purpose from that you say.