how do MPs help people?
i***@invalid.invalid
2018-06-22 19:32:31 UTC
What matters do MPs deal with on behalf of their constituents?

immigration

NHS / GPs / hospital admissions

environmental issues, noise, pollution

dealing with Police / courts civil and criminal

is there any information in the public domain as to what is within
their remit?
Joe
2018-06-22 20:03:09 UTC
On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 20:32:31 +0100
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
What matters do MPs deal with on behalf of their constituents?
immigration
NHS / GPs / hospital admissions
environmental issues, noise, pollution
dealing with Police / courts civil and criminal
is there any information in the public domain as to what is within
their remit?
A Member of Parliament has an (almost always whipped) vote in House of
Commons divisions, and that's about it. Some of them are members of
committees which consider such matters in terms of future legislation,
but MPs have no actual authority over any of the things you name.

In conjunction with newspapers, they can try to shame officials into
doing things, but they are basically agony aunts, dispensing the kind
of advice you would expect from millionaires.
Joe
johnny-knowall
2018-06-22 20:39:36 UTC
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
What matters do MPs deal with on behalf of their constituents?
immigration
NHS / GPs / hospital admissions
environmental issues, noise, pollution
dealing with Police / courts civil and criminal
is there any information in the public domain as to what is within
their remit?
A Member of Parliament has an (almost always whipped) vote in House of
Commons divisions, and that's about it. Some of them are members of
committees which consider such matters in terms of future legislation,
but MPs have no actual authority over any of the things you name.
In conjunction with newspapers, they can try to shame officials into
doing things, but they are basically agony aunts, dispensing the kind
of advice you would expect from millionaires.
My MP helps me immensely by refusing to vote against any government bills,
but maybe that is because I have never voted for him.
Mike Swift
2018-06-22 23:27:15 UTC
Post by johnny-knowall
My MP helps me immensely by refusing to vote against any government
bills, but maybe that is because I have never voted for him.
My MP is a total arse, the only time we hear of him is when there is a
bit of publicity on a local Issue, otherwise he lives in London and
never shows his face here, typical Labour wanker.

Mike
Yorkshire Halvard Lange
Norman Wells
He was your choice. You can remove him at the next general election.
johnny-knowall
2018-06-23 10:09:15 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Mike Swift
Post by johnny-knowall
My MP helps me immensely by refusing to vote against any government
bills, but maybe that is because I have never voted for him.
My MP is a total arse, the only time we hear of him is when there is a
bit of publicity on a local Issue, otherwise he lives in London and
never shows his face here, typical Labour wanker.
He was your choice.
Even if we did not vote for him?
Post by Norman Wells
You can remove him at the next general election.
You may have not lived in a constituency where the total arse MP has a
majority in excess of 15000.

Not quite as easy just to “remove” him/her at any election, but maybe you
could give us the benefit of your MP removal instructions?

And please don’t start with - (1) Buy a shotgun.
Norman Wells
2018-06-23 10:27:11 UTC
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Norman Wells
You can remove him at the next general election.
You may have not lived in a constituency where the total arse MP has a
majority in excess of 15000.
Not quite as easy just to “remove” him/her at any election, but maybe you
could give us the benefit of your MP removal instructions?
And please don’t start with - (1) Buy a shotgun.
Well, it looks like you've got a bit of work to do. However, if all
those 15,000 are so obviously wrong, they shouldn't take much persuading.

Your campaign starts now. Off you go then.
johnny-knowall
In other words you haven’t a clue. Thought not.
Norman Wells
2018-06-23 19:02:14 UTC
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Norman Wells
You can remove him at the next general election.
You may have not lived in a constituency where the total arse MP has a
majority in excess of 15000.
Not quite as easy just to “remove” him/her at any election, but maybe you
could give us the benefit of your MP removal instructions?
And please don’t start with - (1) Buy a shotgun.
Well, it looks like you've got a bit of work to do. However, if all
those 15,000 are so obviously wrong, they shouldn't take much persuading.
Your campaign starts now. Off you go then.
In other words you haven’t a clue. Thought not.
No, I do. I know exactly what you have to do, and it's very simple.
You have to get at least 7,500 people who voted for him last time to
change their minds and vote for his nearest rival next time. So, you
join the party of that nearest rival and you go round knocking on doors
and persuading people how awful the MP is.

The more effort you put in, the more successful you will be.

Good luck!
Martin Brown
2018-06-24 07:57:48 UTC
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by johnny-knowall
could give us the benefit of your MP removal instructions?
And please don’t start with - (1) Buy a shotgun.
Well, it looks like you've got a bit of work to do. However, if all
those 15,000 are so obviously wrong, they shouldn't take much persuading.
Your campaign starts now. Off you go then.
In other words you haven’t a clue. Thought not.
No, I do.  I know exactly what you have to do, and it's very simple. You
have to get at least 7,500 people who voted for him last time to change
their minds and vote for his nearest rival next time.  So, you join the
party of that nearest rival and you go round knocking on doors and
persuading people how awful the MP is.
The more effort you put in, the more successful you will be.
There are places that are so called "safe seats" that would elect a
complete moron with the right coloured rosette on their jacket.

They used to be called rotten boroughs but that is no longer PC.

Thankfully most political parties are smart enough to parachute a good
candidate with serious potential into such locations but not always.

I can think of a few morons who have been elected into parliament simply
because of who "daddy" was. It would be libellous to name them but it
doesn't take much imagination to work out who some of them were.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
johnny-knowall
2018-06-24 10:27:10 UTC
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Norman Wells
[...]
Thankyou, but the rival party have been trying that for over 20 years, with
little success.

I doubt my joining them will make any difference - especially as I disagree
with most of their policies.
Norman Wells
2018-06-24 11:47:10 UTC
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Norman Wells
[...]
If you're not prepared to work for what you want, you'll have to put up
with what others decide for you then.
Martin Brown
2018-06-23 15:23:51 UTC
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
What matters do MPs deal with on behalf of their constituents?
immigration
NHS / GPs / hospital admissions
environmental issues, noise, pollution
dealing with Police / courts civil and criminal
is there any information in the public domain as to what is within
their remit?
They will deal with anything that arises within their constituency up to
and including opening fetes and giving talks at Village Halls for free
that they would charge an arm an a leg to deliver anywhere else.

The ones I have interacted with have helped us get a bridge over a dual
carriageway after a series of fatal crashes, resist a crazy windmill
scheme that was way too near the centre of a village and get a central
refuge reinstated on a road where the elderly regularly crossed.

FWIW our new MP was at our Village Hall only last week drawing the
raffle for a Breast Cancer Care Fundraising Event.

There are some bad ones too but most of the ones that I have encountered
have been genuinely trying to do the best for their constituents and/or
whichever national cause(s) they embrace. There are not so many MPs
interested in science and engineering so I only have a small sample.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
i***@invalid.invalid
2018-06-23 19:01:05 UTC
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
What matters do MPs deal with on behalf of their constituents?
immigration
NHS / GPs / hospital admissions
environmental issues, noise, pollution
dealing with Police / courts civil and criminal
is there any information in the public domain as to what is within
their remit?
Yes. Google* "what does an MP do uk" and there are links, including some to gov.uk.
*Other search engines are available.
Patrick
I was really looking for some actual examples, what they actually do
in practice, rather than what they should do in theory.

According to https://www.elizabethtruss.com/role-mp
Tax problems involving the HM Revenue and Customs Department
Problems dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions such as benefits, pensions and National Insurance
Problems dealt with by the Home Office, such as immigration
Problems dealt with by the Department of Health, such as hospitals and the National Health Service (NHS)
Problems dealt with by the Department for Children, Schools and Families, such as school closures and grants
What do you know of MPs having done such things in real life?
i***@invalid.invalid
2018-07-06 08:14:49 UTC
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
I was really looking for some actual examples, what they actually do
in practice, rather than what they should do in theory.
According to https://www.elizabethtruss.com/role-mp
Tax problems involving the HM Revenue and Customs Department
Problems dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions such as benefits, pensions and National Insurance
Problems dealt with by the Home Office, such as immigration
Problems dealt with by the Department of Health, such as hospitals and the National Health Service (NHS)
Problems dealt with by the Department for Children, Schools and Families, such as school closures and grants
What do you know of MPs having done such things in real life?
Incidental things. For example, a relative's fiance was arrested at a routine home office appointment and sent for deportation, although their asylum application had not been determined. The MP intervened directly with the minister and they were released. (Their application was subsequently upheld).
Those MPs that I've met, and those I know who have approached their MP, both speak of the amount of unseen constituency surgery work involved.
Patrick
Can you give some more tangible examples of what an MP does for his
constituents? What sort of NHS/GPs and Hospitals work do they do? What
sort of DWP benefits/pensions work do they help out with?

I'm really looking for some actual cases of what they have done in
practice, thank you.
Martin Brown
2018-07-06 08:31:41 UTC
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
I was really looking for some actual examples, what they actually
do in practice, rather than what they should do in theory.
According to https://www.elizabethtruss.com/role-mp
MPs can help you with all matters for which Parliament or
[...]
Why don't you go to your MP an ask him/her directly?

I know what mine have done and I have met quite a few other MPs on the
science select committee from time to time. They mostly do good work
(although I have little time for the Department of Timidity and
Inactivity or whatever it is actually called now).
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
I'm really looking for some actual cases of what they have done in
practice, thank you.
It varies from a boilerplate letter that is recognisably along the lines
of "I understand your concern about <issue> and take your views into
account" to "I wholeheartedly agree that the issue you raise is
important, needs to be addressed and have written to the minister. When
I have a reply I will forward it to you. When you hear him raise the
matter in the house you know things are really moving your way."

I am a bit sceptical that government MPs are always stood on the lines
of "don't close *OUR* smaller local hospital" despite the fact that it
their starving the NHS of funds that is forcing the closures.

Same with blood donation in North Yorkshire a huge county - I would now
have to travel so far to give blood now that I don't bother. At one time
I could walk to the donor centre - now I would have to drive tens of
miles *and* PAY for parking! Then they wonder why there is a shortage...
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
i***@invalid.invalid
2018-07-08 11:00:08 UTC
Looking again at;

https://www.elizabethtruss.com/role-mp

it says;
•Tax problems involving the HM Revenue and Customs Department
•Problems dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions such as benefits, pensions and National Insurance
•Problems dealt with by the Home Office, such as immigration
•Problems dealt with by the Department of Health, such as hospitals and the National Health Service (NHS)
•Problems dealt with by the Department for Children, Schools and Families, such as school closures and grants
it also gives a list of activities managed by my local council (not
MP), namely;
•Schools
•Adult and Family learning
•Social services
•Strategic planning matters
•Highways
•Refuse and waste disposal sites
•Museums and libraries
•Town planning
•Environmental health
•Street cleaning
•Licensing
•Housing
•Benefits
•Council tax collection
•Refuse collection
•Leisure facilities
•Planning permission and disputes
I need some real life examples of what MPs do, in the above
categories, eg.

"Problems dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions such as
benefits, pensions and National Insurance"

eg old age pensions, disability pensions

"Problems dealt with by the Home Office, such as immigration"

eg bringing relatives into the country, if there is a dispute as to
their admissibility

"Problems dealt with by the Department of Health, such as hospitals
and the National Health Service (NHS)"

eg disputes with GPs / hospitals over care provided by them

"Problems dealt with by the Department for Children, Schools and
Families, such as school closures and grants"

eg where would I find out about local issues such as school closures
or cutbacks, Department of Education

I need examples of when an MP would get involved, ty.
Joe
2018-07-08 21:38:09 UTC
On Sun, 08 Jul 2018 12:00:08 +0100
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
I need some real life examples of what MPs do, in the above
categories, eg.
I need examples of when an MP would get involved, ty.
Examples will at best tell you what some particular MPs have done in
the past. There will be no way to extrapolate the behaviour of any one
MP in the future from them.

I suggest you write to a few hundred MPs and ask what they have done.
Go to the horse's mouth, rather than asking random Usenet users to
guess. People who post here know that they will get more sense out of
(some) other posters here than they will from their MP.

MPs have *no* official duties or powers outside Parliament, and I would
expect each MP to decide for him/herself what outside work they will
do. There is certainly no set of rules that says 'MPs must do this,
this and this when asked to do so by their constituents'. If there was
such a list, it would be publicly available somewhere on the .gov.uk
website. Why are you having so much trouble understanding this? MPs are
Members of Parliament, not officials in local councils. Ms Truss does
explain this quite clearly on the page you cite.
Joe
Martin Brown
2018-07-09 15:00:38 UTC
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
I need some real life examples of what MPs do, in the above
categories, eg.
I need examples of when an MP would get involved, ty.
Examples will at best tell you what some particular MPs have done in
the past. There will be no way to extrapolate the behaviour of any one
MP in the future from them.
Although as a general rule you can safely assume that they will at least
show an interest in and sometimes go and shake the tree regarding a
topic where they have an interest on a select committee for instance.

I may have been lucky to mainly run into good constituency MPs who have
helped with various local causes (and on both sides of the house).
Post by Joe
I suggest you write to a few hundred MPs and ask what they have done.
Go to the horse's mouth, rather than asking random Usenet users to
guess. People who post here know that they will get more sense out of
(some) other posters here than they will from their MP.
There are doubtless some deadwood candidates who are largely elected
because daddy was a famous politician and are pretty useless but an
incumbent in a safe seat that it is hard to dislodge them from.
Post by Joe
MPs have *no* official duties or powers outside Parliament, and I would
expect each MP to decide for him/herself what outside work they will
do. There is certainly no set of rules that says 'MPs must do this,
this and this when asked to do so by their constituents'. If there was
such a list, it would be publicly available somewhere on the .gov.uk
website. Why are you having so much trouble understanding this? MPs are
Members of Parliament, not officials in local councils. Ms Truss does
explain this quite clearly on the page you cite.
Most of them maintain a constituency office and will see pretty much
anybody who can be bothered to make an appointment. They will even do
various helpful things locally that they are in no way obliged to do
free gratis and for nothing which can be a real boon for charities.

https://www.rishisunak.com/news/rishi-sunak-joins-village-tea-party-help-fight-breast-cancer

In this example local fundraising for Breast Cancer Care. He is also
involved in trying to get better broadband for North Yorks not-spots.

ISTR confidentiality prevents them from speaking out about what they
have done for individual constituents but where they have taken up a
particular local issue then you can tell by their correspondence what
they have done for you if you have something you want sorted out and all
other avenues have failed against stonewalling officialdom.

Why don't you just ask your MP? They are not completely unapproachable.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
i***@invalid.invalid
2018-07-29 10:35:43 UTC
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Looking again at;
https://www.elizabethtruss.com/role-mp
it says;
•Tax problems involving the HM Revenue and Customs Department
•Problems dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions such as benefits, pensions and National Insurance
•Problems dealt with by the Home Office, such as immigration
•Problems dealt with by the Department of Health, such as hospitals and the National Health Service (NHS)
•Problems dealt with by the Department for Children, Schools and Families, such as school closures and grants
I would like to know of some real life instances of what MPs do for
their constituents.

For example, immigration. How would they help an asylum seeker, what
would they actually do?

Education, how would they seek funding for schools and colleges?

Work and Pensions, how would MPs help get welfare payments etc for
their constituents?

Heallth, if there is a dispute between a patient and his GP, or his
hospiital consultanr?

As said previously ....I need examples of when an MP would get
involved, ty.
i***@invalid.invalid
Any answers, please.
JNugent
2018-08-02 12:14:55 UTC
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Looking again at;
https://www.elizabethtruss.com/role-mp
it says;
•Tax problems involving the HM Revenue and Customs Department
•Problems dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions such as benefits, pensions and National Insurance
•Problems dealt with by the Home Office, such as immigration
•Problems dealt with by the Department of Health, such as hospitals and the National Health Service (NHS)
•Problems dealt with by the Department for Children, Schools and Families, such as school closures and grants
I would like to know of some real life instances of what MPs do for
their constituents.
For example, immigration. How would they help an asylum seeker, what
would they actually do?
How would it help their constituents?
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Education, how would they seek funding for schools and colleges?
By lobbying, perhaps. It probably isn't a cause that many people bring
to their MP, since it is either a local authority matter or a matter for
the semi-independent schools which have taken over from councils in many
cases.
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Work and Pensions, how would MPs help get welfare payments etc for
their constituents?
By writing to the DWP on behalf of the constituent, usually, whether to
the office dealing with the claim or direct to a minister at HQ. The
same applies to HMRC, the other large department with which most
citizens have dealings.

It happens hundreds of times per week (writing to the relevant local or
area office).
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Heallth, if there is a dispute between a patient and his GP, or his
hospiital consultanr?
Not heard of an MP being involved in that, though perhaps in exceptional
cases of negligence, etc.

They might lobby for better provision or a new hospital to be placed at
X instead of Y (with other MPs arguing for other locations, of course,
meaning that only one can "win").
Any answers, please.
i***@invalid.invalid
2018-08-03 12:42:35 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
I would like to know of some real life instances of what MPs do for
their constituents.
For example, immigration. How would they help an asylum seeker, what
would they actually do?
How would it help their constituents?
eg a family member has issues with the immigration authorities, and
could be helped by their MP if they were so minded
Post by JNugent
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Work and Pensions, how would MPs help get welfare payments etc for
their constituents?
By writing to the DWP on behalf of the constituent, usually, whether to
the office dealing with the claim or direct to a minister at HQ. The
same applies to HMRC, the other large department with which most
citizens have dealings.
It happens hundreds of times per week (writing to the relevant local or
area office).
So for the DWP, welfare benefit applications / appeals. Do the
authorities take any notice if an MP intervenes?
Post by JNugent
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Heallth, if there is a dispute between a patient and his GP, or his
hospiital consultanr?
Not heard of an MP being involved in that, though perhaps in exceptional
cases of negligence, etc.
Let's say you're unhappy with your GP or hospital consultant, would an
MP feel it appropriate to get involved?
JNugent
2018-08-03 13:21:41 UTC
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Post by JNugent
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
I would like to know of some real life instances of what MPs do for
their constituents.
For example, immigration. How would they help an asylum seeker, what
would they actually do?
How would it help their constituents?
eg a family member has issues with the immigration authorities, and
could be helped by their MP if they were so minded
Cases where a family has a relative who is trying to enter (or remain
in) the UK as an asylum seeker sound fishy from the start, I suggest.

I would hope that MPs would approach such cases non-credulously. The
idea is not that they just side with their constituent (or, as the case
may be, a non-citizen) automatically, but instead exercise reasonable
discretion and judgement bearing in mind all of their constituents and
the wideropopulation.
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Post by JNugent
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Work and Pensions, how would MPs help get welfare payments etc for
their constituents?
By writing to the DWP on behalf of the constituent, usually, whether to
the office dealing with the claim or direct to a minister at HQ. The
same applies to HMRC, the other large department with which most
citizens have dealings.
It happens hundreds of times per week (writing to the relevant local or
area office).
So for the DWP, welfare benefit applications / appeals. Do the
authorities take any notice if an MP intervenes?
Official notice is taken nd it might mean that the case is expedited. It
can't make someone entitled if they aren't entitled.
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Post by JNugent
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Heallth, if there is a dispute between a patient and his GP, or his
hospiital consultanr?
Not heard of an MP being involved in that, though perhaps in exceptional
cases of negligence, etc.
Let's say you're unhappy with your GP or hospital consultant, would an
MP feel it appropriate to get involved?
Probably by getting the NHS Ombudsman involved. Only a member of the HoC
can get the help of the Ombudsman, whether for health or more general
administrative matters.

MPs, though, may not just substitute their own judgment for the judgment
of the person whose job it is to decide cases. Neither, except perhaps
as a witness or representative, may an MP do much about an appeal. The
tribunal decides that, not the MP.

An appellant who argues that his appeal should succeed because his MP
supports it will find that this is not actually relevant.
PeteFJ
2018-08-04 07:17:28 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Post by JNugent
It happens hundreds of times per week (writing to the relevant local or
area office).
So for the DWP, welfare benefit applications / appeals. Do the
authorities take any notice if an MP intervenes?
Official notice is taken nd it might mean that the case is expedited. It
can't make someone entitled if they aren't entitled.
I worked for the Inland Revenue up to retirement in 1996. The workers
in the Post Sorting room were always on high alert to spot the presence
of a letter from an M.P. in its distinctive House of Commons envelope
with the black portcullis printed on the envelope. Such letters had to
go to the Officer in Charge who then directed them to the Head of
various departments with a "hurry up notice and report back soonest"
memo attached.

I remember, to this day, when such a letter slipped through and landed
on my desk without going through the normal procedure for such letters.
The proverbial hit the fan.

Without knowing for sure, I would guess that a similar procedure is the
rule that all government agencies, Revenue, Benefits, Emigration, etc,
all follow.

So for sure, if you want your business at Government agencies speeded
up, get the help of your M.P.

And in my opnion, that's all they're good for!

petefj