The Lord's ammendment.
2017-03-01 10:07:13 UTC
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?

If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe

It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
James Harris
2017-03-01 10:26:34 UTC
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
Well said. If the Lords do this then hopefully the Commons will bat it
back, politely pointing out the Lords' stupidity in the process.
James Harris
Ophelia
2017-03-01 10:33:11 UTC
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
Well said. If the Lords do this then hopefully the Commons will bat it
back, politely pointing out the Lords' stupidity in the process.

James Harris

====

We can only hope. The lords have been advised of the problems this will
cause. Did Rudd not make a statement the other day, saying that we want
those people to be safe but also our people too!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
James Harris
2017-03-01 16:46:05 UTC
Post by James Harris
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
Well said. If the Lords do this then hopefully the Commons will bat it
back, politely pointing out the Lords' stupidity in the process.
The Lords are discussing this right now

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/708e9efa-beac-4dbf-b201-a2d52a057372

Some of them have reminded the others that their role is to amend bills,
not to add to them.
James Harris
James Harris
2017-03-01 17:36:48 UTC
Post by James Harris
Post by James Harris
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
Well said. If the Lords do this then hopefully the Commons will bat it
back, politely pointing out the Lords' stupidity in the process.
The Lords are discussing this right now
http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/708e9efa-beac-4dbf-b201-a2d52a057372
Some of them have reminded the others that their role is to amend bills,
not to add to them.
The Lords are annoying me, know, because they seem to be of arguing from
an absence of knowledge - while calling it knowledge!

For example, Douglas Hogg said 'here are some facts ... millions moved
here expecting to be able to stay.' And he based his argument on that.
What he seems to ignore is: "EU nationals who have lived continuously
and lawfully in the UK for at least 5 years automatically have a
permanent right to reside" (according to
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/statement-the-status-of-eu-nationals-in-the-uk).
So Hogg's "fact" is not, in fact, a germane fact!

There is no way that millions of people are going to be rounded up and
deported, as some suggest.
James Harris
pensive hamster
2017-03-01 17:55:13 UTC
On Wednesday, 1 March 2017 17:36:59 UTC, James Harris wrote:
[...]
Post by James Harris
The Lords are annoying me, know, because they seem to be of arguing from
an absence of knowledge - while calling it knowledge!
For example, Douglas Hogg said 'here are some facts ... millions moved
here expecting to be able to stay.' And he based his argument on that.
What he seems to ignore is: "EU nationals who have lived continuously
and lawfully in the UK for at least 5 years automatically have a
permanent right to reside" (according to
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/statement-the-status-of-eu-nationals-in-the-uk).
Some reports say otherwise, eg.:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/28/dutch-woman-with-two-british-children-told-to-leave-uk-after-24-years
A Dutch woman who has lived in the UK for 24 years, and has
two children with her British husband, has been told by the
Home Office that she should make arrangements to leave the
country after she applied for citizenship after the EU referendum.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2017/01/26/no-longer-welcome-the-eu-academics-in-britain-told-to-make-arrangements-to-leave/

Having lived and worked here for more than two decades
(they’re a national of another EU country) they decided to play it
safe after the Brexit vote and apply for leave to remain. Big mistake.

They received a threatening letter from the Home Office saying
they had no right to be here and they should “now make
arrangements to leave”. The letter was obviously wrong
– they had every right to be here under existing UK law –
but that didn’t lessen the emotional impact for my colleague,
whose whole future was suddenly thrown into uncertainty.
[so not exactly an "automatic" right then.]
deported, as some suggest.
tim...
2017-03-01 18:34:55 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
[...]
Post by James Harris
[...]
It was just a letter

there's no substance behind it

tim
James Harris
2017-03-01 19:00:08 UTC
Post by James Harris
Post by James Harris
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
Well said. If the Lords do this then hopefully the Commons will bat it
back, politely pointing out the Lords' stupidity in the process.
The Lords are discussing this right now
http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/708e9efa-beac-4dbf-b201-a2d52a057372
Lots of good points made by George Bridges representing the government
(at 18:12 in the above link, if you want to listen to it).

* All agree they want fairness. All agree that they have a duty both to
EU nationals here and UK nationals in the EU. All in Lords recognise the
uncertainty. All want to do what is ethically and morally right and to
provide certainty for 900,000 Brits abroad and more than 4,000,000
people overall. The only question is How.

* Between now and date of exit nothing will change for EU nationals
living in the UK. Government will remain bound by ECHR human rights
rules after leaving the UK and will comply with them throughout.

* The government will bring forth a separate immigration bill. Nothing
will change for any EU citizen without approval of both houses of
parliament.

* The government recognises the problems caused to people by lack of
certainty and tried to get agreement. But some in the EU insisted that
their mantra "no negotiation without notification" was, itself,
non-negotiable [it is acceptable, IMO, to feel a sense of disgust at
this point].

* Given that the EU have decided to make people subject to negotiation,
if the UK were to give a unilateral guarantee, how long would it take
for Brits living abroad to receive similar assurance [and what would the
UK negotiators have to give up to get it]?
James Harris
Ian Jackson
2017-03-01 10:44:20 UTC
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured.
It's the only honourable thing to do (and we should be pleased to do
it).

These EU immigrants came here according to the UK (and, of course, EU)
laws which prevailed at the time (and, arguably, still do until we
revoke them). It's simply wrong (and in most cases illegal) to change
the Ts & Cs respectively.
Post by Ophelia
Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
Do you really think they don't care a damn?
Post by Ophelia
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
She has no power to influence any tit-for-tat ruling on those who will
no longer be our fellow partners. However, I very much doubt that even
she is planning to round up all our EU immigrants, put them in
concentration camps on the Isle Of Man, and hold them as hostage in
order to ensure that UK citizens are treated well.
Post by Ophelia
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
The Lords are no more stupid than most of us - and (hopefully) most are
cleverer than the more stupid of us.
Ian
burfordTjustice
2017-03-01 11:14:42 UTC
On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 10:07:13 -0000
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK
should have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care
about our people on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
They are your Lords, you will accept what they say
as best for all. Now run along and STFU>
Nightjar
2017-03-01 12:42:18 UTC
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured.
Strictly speaking, they are reviving an amendment that the Commons
failed to get accepted. The importance of which is that we don't start
to lose people we need because they are uncertain about their future in
the UK.
Post by Ophelia
Don't they care about our
people
on the continent?
I am sure they do, but they have no power to control what the EU chooses
to do.
Post by Ophelia
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
I thought the Leave position was that the EU needs us more than we need
them, so all negotiations would be from a position of power.

Colin Bignell
abelard
2017-03-01 13:00:18 UTC
Post by Ophelia
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
I thought the Leave position was that the EU needs us more than we need
them, so all negotiations would be from a position of power.
my information is there are more of them in britain than brits in
europe

the eussr bureaucrats are behaving foolishly yet again

the serious decisions will be made by the governments, not by
the jobsworths
www.abelard.org
Handsome Jack
2017-03-01 12:57:16 UTC
Post by Nightjar
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured.
Strictly speaking, they are reviving an amendment that the Commons
failed to get accepted. The importance of which is that we don't start
to lose people we need because they are uncertain about their future in
the UK.
Fair enough, but that's only one factor to be taken into account.
Post by Nightjar
Post by Ophelia
Don't they care about our
people
on the continent?
I am sure they do, but they have no power to control what the EU
chooses to do.
They may not, but HMG does. It can tell EU member states that they won't
get what they want unless we get what we want. But we can't tell them
that if we give them what they want *first*.
Post by Nightjar
Post by Ophelia
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
I thought the Leave position was that the EU needs us more than we need
them, so all negotiations would be from a position of power.
That's why it would be stupid to give away the negotiating power that we
are starting with.
Jack
Ian Jackson
2017-03-01 13:15:10 UTC
Post by Handsome Jack
Post by Nightjar
Post by Ophelia
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
I thought the Leave position was that the EU needs us more than we
need them, so all negotiations would be from a position of power.
That's why it would be stupid to give away the negotiating power that
we are starting with.
Call me old-fashioned if you want, but I would hope that our now
turncoat, pro-brexit government would still be above trying to use
existing EU immigrants to the UK as hostages - or worse still,
cannon-fodder.
Ian
tim...
2017-03-01 16:06:35 UTC
Post by Ophelia
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
I thought the Leave position was that the EU needs us more than we need
them, so all negotiations would be from a position of power.
That's why it would be stupid to give away the negotiating power that we
are starting with.
Call me old-fashioned if you want, but I would hope that our now turncoat,
pro-brexit government would still be above trying to use existing EU
immigrants to the UK as hostages - or worse still, cannon-fodder.
wny not

that's exactly what the other side are doing

You are clearly full of shit.
Handsome Jack
2017-03-01 18:27:41 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Handsome Jack
That's why it would be stupid to give away the negotiating power that
we are starting with.
Call me old-fashioned if you want, but I would hope that our now
turncoat, pro-brexit government would still be above trying to use
existing EU immigrants to the UK as hostages - or worse still,
cannon-fodder.
AFAIK the quisling European establishment has not yet made an
unconditional promise that British people living on the continent can
stay there after Brexit.

So would you like to make a post applying the same half-witted invective
to them as you just did to our government?

Please don't ignore this request or give an evasive answer, because it
will be repeated every time you trot out the same tendentious nonsense
you have posted above.
Jack
Ian Jackson
2017-03-01 19:25:59 UTC
Post by Handsome Jack
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Handsome Jack
That's why it would be stupid to give away the negotiating power that
we are starting with.
Call me old-fashioned if you want, but I would hope that our now
turncoat, pro-brexit government would still be above trying to use
existing EU immigrants to the UK as hostages - or worse still,
cannon-fodder.
AFAIK the quisling European establishment has not yet made an
unconditional promise that British people living on the continent can
stay there after Brexit.
So would you like to make a post applying the same half-witted
invective to them as you just did to our government?
Please don't ignore this request or give an evasive answer, because it
will be repeated every time you trot out the same tendentious nonsense
you have posted above.
Until we declare A50, why should the 'quisling European establishment'
be making any offers to us?
Ian
James Harris
2017-03-01 19:42:19 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Handsome Jack
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Handsome Jack
[...]
Not sure what kind of offers you have in mind but I would have thought
that providing reassurance to an estimated four million of their
citizens would have been the decent thing to do. They didn't even try.

Most of them were - and are - willing to get this sorted out. Our
European neighbours are pleasant, decent people, in the main. But
there's a cadre of them which is detached from reality. Can you see that
within that cadre the EU is their focus and that people are not?
James Harris
harry
2017-03-01 17:10:37 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Don't they care about our
people
on the continent?
I am sure they do, but they have no power to control what the EU chooses
to do.
Yes we have.
Tit for tat.
If we let them stay here regardless, we will have no power.
Are you so thick you can't see this?
Ophelia

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Nightjar
2017-03-01 18:29:07 UTC
Post by harry
Post by Ophelia
Don't they care about our
people
on the continent?
I am sure they do, but they have no power to control what the EU chooses
to do.
Yes we have.
Tit for tat.
If we let them stay here regardless, we will have no power.
Are you so thick you can't see this?
As I said in the bit you chose to snip, I thought that the Leave claim
was that we are more important to the EU than they are to us, so any
negotiations would be from a position of strength. That claim hardly
stands up if we have to hold EU citizens to ransom to get what we want.

In any case, any claims that we could expel them are naive at best. We
simply don't have enough unemployed to replace all the EU citizens
working in the UK, even if they were suitable for / willing to do / in
the right place for the jobs. Much better to turn the inescapable fact
that they are going to have to stay into the moral high ground and say
we are going to guarantee their status, now, what are you going to do
about UK citizens working in the EU?

Colin Bignell
Handsome Jack
2017-03-01 18:32:54 UTC
Post by Nightjar
Post by harry
Post by Ophelia
Don't they care about our
people
on the continent?
I am sure they do, but they have no power to control what the EU chooses
to do.
Yes we have.
Tit for tat.
If we let them stay here regardless, we will have no power.
Are you so thick you can't see this?
As I said in the bit you chose to snip, I thought that the Leave claim
was that we are more important to the EU than they are to us, so any
negotiations would be from a position of strength. That claim hardly
stands up if we have to hold EU citizens to ransom to get what we want.
Balls.
Post by Nightjar
In any case, any claims that we could expel them are naive at best.
Good job nobody's made any such claims then. It is purely your own lying
invention.
Jack
R. Mark Clayton
2017-03-01 13:11:49 UTC
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
So the UK should behave dishonourably and revoke the residence rights of people already here perfectly legally?

Still I suppose the Leave vote did reflect a desire of its supporters for a bit of ethnic cleansing...
Post by Ophelia
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
tim...
2017-03-01 16:05:58 UTC
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
So the UK should behave dishonourably and revoke the residence rights of
people already here perfectly legally?
but they won't be here "perfectly legally" when we have left the EU, will
they? (unless we agree otherwise)

2017-03-01 16:26:35 UTC
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
So the UK should behave dishonourably and revoke the residence rights of
people already here perfectly legally?
but they won't be here "perfectly legally" when we have left the EU, will
they? (unless we agree otherwise)

tim

====

There are plenty of EU people here, who are crying on the news about how
they are afraid they might get sent back!

Why do we not have UK folk in EU crying on the radio because THEY might be
sent home.

Something going on here!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
harry
2017-03-01 17:14:16 UTC
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
So the UK should behave dishonourably and revoke the residence rights of
people already here perfectly legally?
but they won't be here "perfectly legally" when we have left the EU, will
they? (unless we agree otherwise)
tim
====
There are plenty of EU people here, who are crying on the news about how
they are afraid they might get sent back!
Why do we not have UK folk in EU crying on the radio because THEY might be
sent home.
Something going on here!
The usual socialist bullshit.
That's what's going on.
tim...
2017-03-01 18:33:17 UTC
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
So the UK should behave dishonourably and revoke the residence rights of
people already here perfectly legally?
but they won't be here "perfectly legally" when we have left the EU, will
they? (unless we agree otherwise)
tim
====
There are plenty of EU people here, who are crying on the news about how
they are afraid they might get sent back!
Why do we not have UK folk in EU crying on the radio because THEY might be
sent home.
there was a report in the newspaper a few weeks ago about exactly that

and they were blaming the Tories for their being in this unknown position,
like there was some way that the Tories could give them the rights to stay
(not because the Tories were implementing Brexit)

But it's not reported much here because it requires additional work to find
the people to interview - Journalists are lazy.

2017-03-01 18:40:06 UTC
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
So the UK should behave dishonourably and revoke the residence rights of
people already here perfectly legally?
but they won't be here "perfectly legally" when we have left the EU, will
they? (unless we agree otherwise)
tim
====
There are plenty of EU people here, who are crying on the news about how
they are afraid they might get sent back!
Why do we not have UK folk in EU crying on the radio because THEY might be
sent home.
Something going on here!
Indeed - you appear to have missed several broadcasts with British ex pat's in the EU complaining about exactly that or even applying for citizenship in other countries.

They will just have to hope that the Germans and Spanish aren't as racist as Leavers or as they used to be...
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
R. Mark Clayton
2017-03-01 18:37:40 UTC
============
Post by tim...
but they won't be here "perfectly legally" when we have left the EU, will
they? (unless we agree otherwise)
tim
Did you miss the bit "ALREADY HERE"?

I presume you are in favour of deporting the untermesche by retrospectively making them illegal after all you did erase the bit about Leavers supporting ethnic cleansing. Presumably it is a little embarrassing to admit to prejudice...
tim...
2017-03-01 18:43:50 UTC
Post by tim...
but they won't be here "perfectly legally" when we have left the EU, will
they? (unless we agree otherwise)
tim
Did you miss the bit "ALREADY HERE"?
no

unless the fact that they are already her qualifies them to apply for
citizenship, once we have left the EU they will no longer be legally here
(for the purposes of permanent residence)
Post by R. Mark Clayton
I presume you are in favour of deporting
I made no such claim

merely noted that their legal status will change once we leave

It's within the gift of the rEU to change that, and so far, they are
refusing to do so. Why should we act unilaterally to our disadvantage -
would you do so if you were negotiating a life or death deal with someone?

We will behave exactly as honourably as they do in the EUSSR.
Judith
2017-03-01 15:46:46 UTC
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
It is of course the right thing to do: irrespective of what happens to UK
citizens working in the EU.

I suppose you would rather play politics and other games with people's lives.

Don't forget it is people like you who have turned things to rat-shit.
James Harris
2017-03-01 16:35:24 UTC
Post by Judith
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
It is of course the right thing to do: irrespective of what happens to UK
citizens working in the EU.
Why do you put the security of EU expats in the UK above that of British
people abroad?

Why not work to assure the rights of both?
James Harris
harry
2017-03-01 17:15:52 UTC
Post by James Harris
Post by Judith
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
It is of course the right thing to do: irrespective of what happens to UK
citizens working in the EU.
Why do you put the security of EU expats in the UK above that of British
people abroad?
Why not work to assure the rights of both?
Because they are brain dead socialists.
May has already offered a deal on this and been turned down.
R. Mark Clayton
2017-03-01 18:41:15 UTC
Post by James Harris
Post by Judith
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
It is of course the right thing to do: irrespective of what happens to UK
citizens working in the EU.
Why do you put the security of EU expats in the UK above that of British
people abroad?
Why not work to assure the rights of both?
When I was a little kid my mum used to tell me that "two wrongs don't make a right".
Post by James Harris
James Harris
Handsome Jack
2017-03-01 19:12:46 UTC
Post by James Harris
Why do you put the security of EU expats in the UK above that of British
people abroad?
Why not work to assure the rights of both?
When I was a little kid my mum used to tell me that "two wrongs don't make a right".
It's your privilege to live by infantile maxims for your own purposes,
but please don't try to advise adults who have to deal with real world
situations. Things get more complex after the age of ten.
Jack
Nightjar
2017-03-01 19:56:40 UTC
Post by James Harris
Post by Judith
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
It is of course the right thing to do: irrespective of what happens to UK
citizens working in the EU.
Why do you put the security of EU expats in the UK above that of British
people abroad?
Why not work to assure the rights of both?
Assuring the rights of EU workers in the UK does not preclude working
towards assuring the rights of UK workers in the EU. However, the latter
cannot be obtained by writing it into UK law, while the first can.

Colin Bignell
harry
2017-03-01 17:17:23 UTC
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
May has already offers the EUSSR a deal and been turned down.
So, something is afoot.
Ophelia
2017-03-01 17:41:21 UTC
Post by Ophelia
I hear the lords are adding an amendment that all EU people in UK should
have their rights to stay here be secured. Don't they care about our people
on the continent?
If May has to follow that she has no clout to keep our own folk safe
It is hard to believe the stupidity of 'lords'!
May has already offers the EUSSR a deal and been turned down.
So, something is afoot.

====

Yes she did. Maybe Juncker has been in touch with our 'Lords' ....
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk