Street food vendors up in arms over possible EU kebab ban
2017-12-02 11:35:56 UTC
Street food vendors up in arms over possible EU kebab ban

BERLIN - The doner kebab, that grilled fast-food sandwich which is the
gastronomic equivalent of an American hamburger in many European cities, is
under fire.
The European Union's legislature is moving to ban the phosphates used in the
slabs of meat at the heart of the popular street snack that originated in
Turkey. Up-in-arms kebab vendors in Germany have skewered the idea.

EU lawmakers are citing health concerns based on studies that linked
phosphates to cardiovascular disease. Owners of takeout restaurants and
industry groups claim the additives are needed to keep seasoned kebab meat
juicy and flavorful, both during transport and on the vertical retail
rotisseries where it is cooked.

Fueling the brouhaha is that some sausages containing phosphates are allowed
to be sold in EU countries and would not be affected by any move involving
kebab meat.

The disparity has some vendors alleging that "doner discrimination" was
cooked up deliberately to disadvantage Turkish-owned businesses.

"They are looking for ways to hurt Turkish businesses here," said Baris
Donmez, the owner of a 24-hour kebab bistro in Berlin's Mitte district.
"Such a ban would be the biggest pile of garbage imaginable."

The kebab issue came up when the EU's executive Commission proposed to
officially authorize the use of phosphates in the lamb, mutton, beef or veal
that goes onto a shop spit. Some other meats had previously received such
clearance.
The proposal ran into trouble in the European Parliament earlier this week
when its Health Committee voted 32-22 to oppose it. Based on more recent
health studies, legislators expressed concern that carving out blanket
approval for kebab meat could put Europeans at greater risk of heart
disease.

A rejection by the full Parliament when it meets in two weeks would send the
proposal back to the Commission - and keep the mighty kebab lingering in
limbo.

Just the threat of any changes to the beloved dish - in Europe, shaved kebab
meat usually comes stuffed into pita bread with shredded lettuce, tomatoes,
onions and one, or several, dressings - made headlines in Germany, where the
doner kebab is the late night grub of choice.

"If the European Parliament gets its way, this would be the death sentence
for the entire doner kebab industry in the European Union," Kenan Koyuncu of
the German Association of Doner Kebab Producers told Germany's Bild daily
newspaper.

Renate Sommer, a member of German Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative
party in the European Parliament, wrote on Facebook that "a ban of the
phosphate addition would be the end of doner production and would lead to
the loss of thousands of jobs."

According to daily Frankfurter Rundschau there are some 16,000 doner
restaurants in Germany and 3 million of the dishes are slung daily. Tens of
thousands of people are employed in the multi-billion euro (dollar)
industry.

The doner sandwich is in fact a recent European interpretation of the
Turkish roast classic which was introduced to Germany by immigrants from
Turkey. In recent years the "Berlin doner" variety has even spread to London
and New York.

Boosted by such popularity, Donmez is convinced the ban of the chemical in
kebab meat will never be implemented in Germany.

"Germans love doner," he said, looking at the long line of lunch customers
at his Rosenthaler Grill und Schlemmerbuffet restaurant. "Nobody's going to
take away it away from them."
Joe
2017-12-02 12:52:21 UTC
On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 06:35:56 -0500
Post by BurfordTJustice
Street food vendors up in arms over possible EU kebab ban
The name of the 'Education Editor' of the Telegraph appears over this
story, under a picture of satays on skewers...
Joe
finally ditched mimo
2017-12-02 14:11:01 UTC
It’s all “foreign muck” to Telegraph readers.
JNugent
2017-12-02 15:58:49 UTC
Post by finally ditched mimo
Post by Joe
On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 06:35:56 -0500
Post by BurfordTJustice
Street food vendors up in arms over possible EU kebab ban
The name of the 'Education Editor' of the Telegraph appears over this
story, under a picture of satays on skewers...
It’s all “foreign muck” to Telegraph readers.
Doner kebabs are, very spoecifically, foreign much with no flavour.

The only way to give the stuff any taste at all is to smother it in hot
sauce.

So what's the point? You're better off with a Big Mac or fish'n'chips.
Don't get me started on sweet'n'sour pork and rice...
finally ditched mimo
2017-12-02 16:18:04 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by finally ditched mimo
Post by Joe
On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 06:35:56 -0500
Post by BurfordTJustice
Street food vendors up in arms over possible EU kebab ban
The name of the 'Education Editor' of the Telegraph appears over this
story, under a picture of satays on skewers...
It’s all “foreign muck” to Telegraph readers.
Doner kebabs are, very spoecifically, foreign much with no flavour.
The only way to give the stuff any taste at all is to smother it in hot
sauce.
But isn’t that the way of most modern food these days?

Intensively reared chickens slaughtered after five weeks, are unsurprisingly
tasteless; so the only way to pretend they are nice is to cover them in
peppery breadcrumbs, or a spicy sauce, or drown them in chilli flakes/powder.

I had a can of oxtail soup for lunch today, and even that no longer tastes
meaty - but simply of pepper.

Occasionally I do get an egg that has a taste which goes somewhere towards
the flavour I remember as a child; but most of the supermarket ones are
pretty bland.
Post by JNugent
So what's the point? You're better off with a Big Mac or fish'n'chips.
Even cod and haddock do not have as much taste as they used to. I buy hake
these days.
I won’t; so can I have yours?
Ophelia
2017-12-02 16:27:53 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by finally ditched mimo
Post by Joe

Post by JNugent
Don't get me started on sweet'n'sour pork and rice...
I won’t; so can I have yours?

==

<g> I don't buy stuff ready made and my sweet'n'sour pork is very good and
popular with the family:)
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Incubus
2017-12-04 10:21:01 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by finally ditched mimo
Post by Joe
Post by JNugent
So what's the point? You're better off with a Big Mac or fish'n'chips.
Even cod and haddock do not have as much taste as they used to. I buy hake
these days.
It could be your taste buds. With the onset of old age can come loss of
ability to taste food.

Byker
2017-12-03 00:38:12 UTC
Listen closely and you might hear them whinny: https://tinyurl.com/y7zmyc65