Withdrawing from elections
2017-04-20 18:39:13 UTC
Validly nominated candidates may withdraw from election after nomination.

Is there anything to stop aggrieved Labour MP's: -

1. Telling the party they will stand again.
2. Submitting nomination.
3. Withdrawing immediately after nominations close?
R. Mark Clayton
Slight mistake here - nomination and withdrawal deadlines are now the same.
GB
2017-04-21 10:02:38 UTC
Validly nominated candidates may withdraw from election after nomination.
Is there anything to stop aggrieved Labour MP's: -
1. Telling the party they will stand again.
2. Submitting nomination.
3. Withdrawing immediately after nominations close?
Slight mistake here - nomination and withdrawal deadlines are now the same.
I suppose that they could time the withdrawal just right, so as to leave
no time to nominate a new candidate. However, it would be a really petty
and spiteful way to end one's political career for good.
R. Mark Clayton
2017-04-21 16:56:11 UTC
SNIP
Indeed, but some may think their party leader has already done that for them...
GB
2017-04-21 17:23:55 UTC
SNIP
Post by GB
I suppose that they could time the withdrawal just right, so as to leave
no time to nominate a new candidate. However, it would be a really petty
and spiteful way to end one's political career for good.
Indeed, but some may think their party leader has already done that for them...
What do you do as an ex-MP without any ministerial experience? Michael
Portillo has managed to become a TV personality, but what do the rest
do? How does Ken Livingstone earn a living?
harry
They have fat taxpayer funded pensions.
tim...
2017-04-23 09:59:33 UTC
Post by GB
Post by R. Mark Clayton
SNIP
Post by GB
I suppose that they could time the withdrawal just right, so as to leave
no time to nominate a new candidate. However, it would be a really petty
and spiteful way to end one's political career for good.
Indeed, but some may think their party leader has already done that for them...
What do you do as an ex-MP without any ministerial experience? Michael
Portillo has managed to become a TV personality, but what do the rest do?
since when was M Portillo, "without ministerial experience"?
Post by GB
How does Ken Livingstone earn a living?
you don't think that being the leader of the largest city in Europe (third
largest in the world at first appointment) for 15 years has equal merit to
being a minister?

in any case the answer is - he lives off his wife's earnings :-)

2017-04-23 11:41:51 UTC
Post by GB
Post by R. Mark Clayton
SNIP
Post by GB
I suppose that they could time the withdrawal just right, so as to leave
no time to nominate a new candidate. However, it would be a really petty
and spiteful way to end one's political career for good.
Indeed, but some may think their party leader has already done that for them...
What do you do as an ex-MP without any ministerial experience? Michael
Portillo has managed to become a TV personality, but what do the rest do?
since when was M Portillo, "without ministerial experience"?
It was badly worded. I was thinking of the ones who have close ties to
government and get lucrative consultancies based on their previous jobs.
Portillo isn't in that category at all.
Post by tim...
Post by GB
How does Ken Livingstone earn a living?
you don't think that being the leader of the largest city in Europe
(third largest in the world at first appointment) for 15 years has equal
merit to being a minister?
I don't think any political jobs have merit!
2017-04-23 12:46:32 UTC
Post by GB
Post by tim...
Post by GB
Post by R. Mark Clayton
SNIP
Post by GB
I suppose that they could time the withdrawal just right, so as to leave
no time to nominate a new candidate. However, it would be a really petty
and spiteful way to end one's political career for good.
Indeed, but some may think their party leader has already done that for them...
What do you do as an ex-MP without any ministerial experience? Michael
Portillo has managed to become a TV personality, but what do the rest do?
since when was M Portillo, "without ministerial experience"?
It was badly worded. I was thinking of the ones who have close ties to
government and get lucrative consultancies based on their previous jobs.
Portillo isn't in that category at all.
he might not have chosen to do so.

but that is because he found a future career without. I don't consider him
so principled that he wouldn't have if he needed to.
Post by GB
Post by tim...
Post by GB
How does Ken Livingstone earn a living?
you don't think that being the leader of the largest city in Europe
(third largest in the world at first appointment) for 15 years has equal
merit to being a minister?
I don't think any political jobs have merit!
well I agree

but I assumed that you were using the choice of "ministerial experience" as
a proxy for "making contacts that would offer them lucrative employment once
they leave politics", or in the case of Osborne, before.

Does Mayor of London/leader of the GLC not qualify in that way?

Ken is 71. He will have his state pension, plus contributory pensions from his time as Mayor, MP and GLC councillor and leader.
JNugent
2017-04-24 14:15:11 UTC
Post by GB
Post by R. Mark Clayton
SNIP
Post by GB
I suppose that they could time the withdrawal just right, so as to leave
no time to nominate a new candidate. However, it would be a really petty
and spiteful way to end one's political career for good.
Indeed, but some may think their party leader has already done that for them...
What do you do as an ex-MP without any ministerial experience? Michael
Portillo has managed to become a TV personality, but what do the rest
do? How does Ken Livingstone earn a living?
Mad Ken is well over retirement age.

He hwill have and will benefit from the triple lock pension and no doubt
has "other provision" made from when he held office, as well as the
occasional commission from the Daily Mail to write an article.

http://www.avg.com
JNugent
2017-04-24 14:11:15 UTC
Validly nominated candidates may withdraw from election after nomination.
Is there anything to stop aggrieved Labour MP's: -
1. Telling the party they will stand again.
2. Submitting nomination.
3. Withdrawing immediately after nominations close?
No.

Neither is there anything to stop them declining to take up elected
office if by any chance they win, thus handing the seat to the candidate
with the second-highest number of votes (and denying Labour any
possibility of fielding a candidate allied to Corbynism).

In fact, that second course is the one I'd wholeheartedly recommend.

http://www.avg.com
R. Mark Clayton
2017-04-24 15:48:07 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Validly nominated candidates may withdraw from election after nomination.
Is there anything to stop aggrieved Labour MP's: -
1. Telling the party they will stand again.
2. Submitting nomination.
3. Withdrawing immediately after nominations close?
No.
Neither is there anything to stop them declining to take up elected
office if by any chance they win, thus handing the seat to the candidate
with the second-highest number of votes (and denying Labour any
possibility of fielding a candidate allied to Corbynism).
In fact, that second course is the one I'd wholeheartedly recommend.
The danger with that is under FPTP the second candidate might not be the one you want to win instead - e.g. in a Tory / Labour marginal the Labour candidate would probably prefer the Lib Dem to win, which is more likely if he withdraws than if he stands and refuses to sign up.

I suppose immediate resignation would have a similar effect, but this would cost ££££££.