Security tag on bottle
t***@gmail.com
2014-12-17 08:27:04 UTC
It was my birthday a couple of days ago and someone gave me a present of a bottle of posh brandy in a presentation box.

When I opened the box I found a security tag on the top of the bottle.

I wonder how I can get this removed without it sounding a "likely story" as of course I don't have a receipt - and how did it get through the door of the place anyhow I wonder?

The thing is really securely made so without the appropriate key I won't be able to get it off without breaking the bottle and losing the stuff (although I'm sure the Doc would prefer that outcome!).
Steve O
2014-12-17 08:35:35 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
It was my birthday a couple of days ago and someone gave me a present of a bottle of posh brandy in a presentation box.
When I opened the box I found a security tag on the top of the bottle.
I wonder how I can get this removed without it sounding a "likely story" as of course I don't have a receipt - and how did it get through the door of the place anyhow I wonder?
The thing is really securely made so without the appropriate key I won't be able to get it off without breaking the bottle and losing the stuff (although I'm sure the Doc would prefer that outcome!).
Find a supermarket that doesn't sell that particular brandy,(so that you
can't be accused of stealing it from there) find an unoccupied till and
just pop it onto the magnet removal thingy as you pass the till.
If anyone challenges you, explain what you are doing.
Even if they suspect that you might have stolen it from somewhere else,
they have no right to detain you for theft, as they have not seen you
steal anything.
Derek F
2014-12-17 23:07:19 UTC
Post by Steve O
Post by t***@gmail.com
[...]
How did his friend get it with the security tag still on it?
Derek
Steve O
2014-12-18 07:25:11 UTC
Post by Derek F
Post by Steve O
Post by t***@gmail.com
[...]
By walking through the security systems with the tag inside the
presentation box, I would imagine.
Martin Brown
2014-12-18 09:16:37 UTC
Post by Steve O
Post by Derek F
Post by Steve O
Post by t***@gmail.com
[...]
Online delivery from any of the supermarkets. Stuff going out the back
door in delivery vans is not scanned for security tags.

My parents have had more than one bottle of boxed spirits with the tag
still on via home delivery service especially at this time of year!
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Derek F
2014-12-22 18:52:59 UTC
Post by Martin Brown
Post by Steve O
Post by Derek F
Post by Steve O
Post by t***@gmail.com
[...]
What did they then do?
I had a bottle of Champagne in my Sainsbury's shopping yesterday that
the operator forgot to take the tag off. I pointed it out to him and
asked how I would be able get it off if I had not noticed. He said that
I would not have got it out of the store when the alarm rang.
There is never anyone near the exit and if several people are exiting at
the same time I think that you would get away with it.
Derek
Martin Brown
2014-12-23 10:17:22 UTC
Post by Derek F
Post by Martin Brown
Post by Steve O
Post by Derek F
How did his friend get it with the security tag still on it?
Derek
By walking through the security systems with the tag inside the
presentation box, I would imagine.
Online delivery from any of the supermarkets. Stuff going out the back
door in delivery vans is not scanned for security tags.
My parents have had more than one bottle of boxed spirits with the tag
still on via home delivery service especially at this time of year!
What did they then do?
I took it off for them using a powerful Nd magnet.
I have a small selection of tags that have escaped this way.
Post by Derek F
I had a bottle of Champagne in my Sainsbury's shopping yesterday that
the operator forgot to take the tag off. I pointed it out to him and
asked how I would be able get it off if I had not noticed. He said that
I would not have got it out of the store when the alarm rang.
There is never anyone near the exit and if several people are exiting at
the same time I think that you would get away with it.
Derek
They are generally fairly on the ball wrt alarms going off.

There are no tag scanners on the home delivery service side though.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Derek F
2014-12-23 23:50:55 UTC
Post by Martin Brown
Post by Derek F
Post by Martin Brown
Post by Derek F
I had a bottle of Champagne in my Sainsbury's shopping yesterday that
the operator forgot to take the tag off. I pointed it out to him and
asked how I would be able get it off if I had not noticed. He said that
I would not have got it out of the store when the alarm rang.
There is never anyone near the exit and if several people are exiting at
the same time I think that you would get away with it.
Derek
They are generally fairly on the ball wrt alarms going off.
There are no tag scanners on the home delivery service side though.
I was tempted not to tell him to see what happened.
Derek

Mrcheerful
this precise question was asked last year, is it the same bottle?
John Collins
2014-12-17 10:26:11 UTC
No I wouldn't have managed to go a whole year from my previous birthday without opening it.
The Todal
2014-12-17 09:01:33 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
It was my birthday a couple of days ago and someone gave me a present of a bottle of posh brandy in a presentation box.
When I opened the box I found a security tag on the top of the bottle.
I wonder how I can get this removed without it sounding a "likely story" as of course I don't have a receipt - and how did it get through the door of the place anyhow I wonder?
The thing is really securely made so without the appropriate key I won't be able to get it off without breaking the bottle and losing the stuff (although I'm sure the Doc would prefer that outcome!).
I'd be surprised if it couldn't be removed with a hacksaw. Or if your
wrists are weak, a Dremel.

Presumably you have considered asking the person who gave you the gift
where it was bought, so that you can then go into that shop, go to the
enquiry desk (or the manager) and explain that you want the tag removed.

Or some people claim to have managed it with a high power magnet:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Quickly-Remove-a-Store-Security-Tag/

For most people the worry is that dye will be released and will damage
the garment you've bought, but that of course doesn't matter with a
bottle of brandy.
Martin Brown
2014-12-17 09:52:06 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
It was my birthday a couple of days ago and someone gave me a present of a bottle of posh brandy in a presentation box.
When I opened the box I found a security tag on the top of the bottle.
Probably bought online then since that is the only common way that
security tags escape into the wild. I have had a bottle of single malt
delivered to my parents complete with the tag still on.
Post by t***@gmail.com
I wonder how I can get this removed without it sounding a "likely story" as of course I don't have a receipt - and how did it get through the door of the place anyhow I wonder?
Asking whoever gave it to you to help get the tag off is one way or
obtain a Nd magnet with appropriate pulling power. I suspect it will
require the original receipt to get it unlocked.
Post by t***@gmail.com
The thing is really securely made so without the appropriate key I won't be able to get it off without breaking the bottle and losing the stuff (although I'm sure the Doc would prefer that outcome!).
It is actually one that stops you opening the bottle? How unsporting!
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
John Collins
2014-12-17 10:34:30 UTC
Post by Martin Brown
Probably bought online then since that is the only common way that
security tags escape into the wild. I have had a bottle of single malt
delivered to my parents complete with the tag still on.
Yes looks like that.

The donor left it at my house all wrapped up with instructions not to open it until my BD actually dawned.
Yes it's disgraceful and it's got all sorts of little rollers on the edges to make deploying a hacksaw tricky. I suppose I could put superglue on the rollers so they stayed put. Doubtless though the bottle would be a mess if I did that (and so probably would I).
The Todal
2014-12-17 10:37:21 UTC
Post by Martin Brown
It is actually one that stops you opening the bottle? How unsporting!
Yes it's disgraceful and it's got all sorts of little rollers on the edges to make deploying a hacksaw tricky. I suppose I could put superglue on the rollers so they stayed put. Doubtless though the bottle would be a mess if I did that (and so probably would I).
I can't visualise the tag you are dealing with but if it seems to be a
plastic box of some kind, you could try putting it in a vice (or large
mole-wrench) and gradually crushing it - the glass of the bottle would
probably be strong enough to withstand the pressure.
Martin Brown
2014-12-17 10:47:40 UTC
Post by The Todal
Post by John Collins
Post by Martin Brown
Probably bought online then since that is the only common way that
security tags escape into the wild. I have had a bottle of single malt
delivered to my parents complete with the tag still on.
Yes looks like that.
The donor left it at my house all wrapped up with instructions not to
open it until my BD actually dawned.
I think you might have to talk to your friend to get the thing removed.
Post by The Todal
Post by John Collins
Post by Martin Brown
It is actually one that stops you opening the bottle? How unsporting!
Yes it's disgraceful and it's got all sorts of little rollers on the
edges to make deploying a hacksaw tricky. I suppose I could put
superglue on the rollers so they stayed put. Doubtless though the
bottle would be a mess if I did that (and so probably would I).
I can't visualise the tag you are dealing with but if it seems to be a
Neither can I. I wonder which retailer uses them?
Is it a key based lock box or a magnetic one? A photo would help.
Post by The Todal
plastic box of some kind, you could try putting it in a vice (or large
mole-wrench) and gradually crushing it - the glass of the bottle would
probably be strong enough to withstand the pressure.
Errr no! The opposite is true. Plastics will stand an astonishing amount
of crushing force and bounce back. Glass is tremendously brittle and
will shatter or spall if subjected to strong compressive forces.

Putting it in a vice to make hacksawing the plastic easier would be
advisable but these things are often designed with hardened steel
rollers embedded in the plastic body so that attempts to saw through are
frustrated. It would be easier to go back to the original vendor.

Ask in uk.d-i-y and I guarantee the answer will be "angle grinder" -
also not recommended as a way in. Best bet is take it to the retailer
with a receipt or have your friend do it for you.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Tony Dragon
2014-12-17 10:02:57 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
It was my birthday a couple of days ago and someone gave me a present of a bottle of posh brandy in a presentation box.
When I opened the box I found a security tag on the top of the bottle.
I wonder how I can get this removed without it sounding a "likely story" as of course I don't have a receipt - and how did it get through the door of the place anyhow I wonder?
The thing is really securely made so without the appropriate key I won't be able to get it off without breaking the bottle and losing the stuff (although I'm sure the Doc would prefer that outcome!).
Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago.
A bottle of malt scotch delivered by Tesco, when I opened the box there
was the tag around the neck of the bottle, a large pair of cutters fixed
that, no problem.

---
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Jethro_uk
2014-12-17 11:00:07 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
It was my birthday a couple of days ago and someone gave me a present of
a bottle of posh brandy in a presentation box.
When I opened the box I found a security tag on the top of the bottle.
I wonder how I can get this removed without it sounding a "likely story"
as of course I don't have a receipt - and how did it get through the
door of the place anyhow I wonder?
The thing is really securely made so without the appropriate key I won't
be able to get it off without breaking the bottle and losing the stuff
(although I'm sure the Doc would prefer that outcome!).
This happened to me a few years ago. I bought FiL a bottle of posh
whisky, in a FOIL LINED box, and when unwrapped it still had the tag on.
Dawned on me that the foil lining was an excellent mechanism for
defeating the security system.

Being a helpful sort of chappie, I emailed the retailer (Morrisons)
alerting them to the situation.

Despite being several years since and hearing other reports (such as the
OP) it seems it's not really any big deal for the supermarkets.

I wonder how many people just load their trolley with foiled booze (which
tends to be the more expensive ;) ) and just wheel on out smiling at the
security guard who happily assumes the absence of a security warning
means everything is OK ?
Omega
2014-12-17 11:37:49 UTC
wrote in message news:5c742ac7-1bcc-45e8-a113-***@googlegroups.com...

It was my birthday a couple of days ago and someone gave me a present of a
bottle of posh brandy in a presentation box.

When I opened the box I found a security tag on the top of the bottle.

I wonder how I can get this removed without it sounding a "likely story" as
of course I don't have a receipt - and how did it get through the door of
the place anyhow I wonder?

The thing is really securely made so without the appropriate key I won't be
able to get it off without breaking the bottle and losing the stuff
(although I'm sure the Doc would prefer that outcome!).

You will need a neodymium magnet. Inexpensive and a novel extremely strong
magnet to keep. Buy easily online. Merry slurping.

omega

Derek F
2014-12-17 23:14:09 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
It was my birthday a couple of days ago and someone gave me a present of
a bottle of posh brandy in a presentation box.
When I opened the box I found a security tag on the top of the bottle.
I wonder how I can get this removed without it sounding a "likely story"
as of course I don't have a receipt - and how did it get through the
door of the place anyhow I wonder?
The thing is really securely made so without the appropriate key I won't
be able to get it off without breaking the bottle and losing the stuff
(although I'm sure the Doc would prefer that outcome!).
You will need a neodymium magnet. Inexpensive and a novel extremely
strong magnet to keep. Buy easily online. Merry slurping.
omega
What size or shape is needed?
Derek
Jeff
2014-12-18 09:22:50 UTC
Post by Derek F
Post by Omega
You will need a neodymium magnet. Inexpensive and a novel extremely
strong magnet to keep. Buy easily online. Merry slurping.
omega
What size or shape is needed?
Derek
Try one from an old hard drive, they work on most kinds of security tags.

Jeff
Omega
2014-12-18 10:26:47 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
It was my birthday a couple of days ago and someone gave me a present of
a bottle of posh brandy in a presentation box.
When I opened the box I found a security tag on the top of the bottle.
I wonder how I can get this removed without it sounding a "likely story"
as of course I don't have a receipt - and how did it get through the
door of the place anyhow I wonder?
The thing is really securely made so without the appropriate key I won't
be able to get it off without breaking the bottle and losing the stuff
(although I'm sure the Doc would prefer that outcome!).
You will need a neodymium magnet. Inexpensive and a novel extremely
strong magnet to keep. Buy easily online. Merry slurping.
omega
What size or shape is needed?
Derek

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N35-Super-Strong-Magnets-25mm-x-20mm-Round-Disc-Cylinder-Rare-Earth-Neodymium-/161231028377?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item258a1e4099

This would be more than adequate. Do watch out as these magnets are
extremely strong and can 'snatch' metals towards it from several inches and
literally slice a finger off. Definitely NOT for children to play with!

Have fun.

omega

John
2014-12-17 11:42:44 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
When I opened the box I found a security tag on the top of the bottle.
Worse comes to worse, break the neck off over a bowl and filter the contents
through a fine mesh. Be careful you don't lose any though. :-)

If it's a fine malt, you can send it to me and I'll do the job for you, and
return the glass fragments to you.

John.
Richard McKenzie
2014-12-17 13:27:00 UTC
Give it to someone else as a present
and with the money you saved buy a
bottle that you can open.
Popadalious
2014-12-17 13:45:47 UTC
Post by Richard McKenzie
Give it to someone else as a present
and with the money you saved buy a
bottle that you can open.
I knew a brewery delivery driver who told me that one of the perks of
the job was to crack bottles of Scotch open and drain the liquid into
used bottles which were then sold on to dodgy landlords.

So long as the seal was unbroken everything was fine. The driver just
told the depot that he had dropped a crate off the lorry while
unloading.
Graham.
2014-12-17 14:53:39 UTC
On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:45:47 +0000, Popadalious
Post by Popadalious
Post by Richard McKenzie
Give it to someone else as a present
and with the money you saved buy a
bottle that you can open.
I knew a brewery delivery driver who told me that one of the perks of
the job was to crack bottles of Scotch open and drain the liquid into
used bottles which were then sold on to dodgy landlords.
So long as the seal was unbroken everything was fine. The driver just
told the depot that he had dropped a crate off the lorry while
unloading.
I was trying to work out why they would sell it to a Leonard Rossiter
character, before realising you meant pub landlord.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
mcp
2014-12-17 23:49:38 UTC
Post by Popadalious
So long as the seal was unbroken everything was fine. The driver just
told the depot that he had dropped a crate off the lorry while
unloading.
A friend works in a whisky bond. They recently discovered a batch of
bottles that were a bit light, some temporary staff were putting
pinholes in the cap and having a quick drink.

These days they would want the damaged box and broken bottles back
(with the seals unopened).
Richard Tobin
2014-12-17 14:16:58 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
I wonder how I can get this removed without it sounding a "likely story"
as of course I don't have a receipt - and how did it get through the
door of the place anyhow I wonder?
When I had a bottle delivered from Sainsbury's with a tag on, after
consulting usenet I think I just used a big screwdriver to break the
tag apart.

-- Richard
harryagain
2014-12-17 18:08:19 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
It was my birthday a couple of days ago and someone gave me a present of a
bottle of posh brandy in a presentation box.
When I opened the box I found a security tag on the top of the bottle.
I wonder how I can get this removed without it sounding a "likely story"
as of course I don't have a receipt - and how did it get through the door
of the place anyhow I wonder?
The thing is really securely made so without the appropriate key I won't
be able to get it off without breaking the bottle and losing the stuff
(although I'm sure the Doc would prefer that outcome!).
A job for the angle grinder obviously.
Given time, any security canbe removed/bypassed.
Judith
2014-12-17 19:19:06 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
It was my birthday a couple of days ago and someone gave me a present of a bottle of posh brandy in a presentation box.
When I opened the box I found a security tag on the top of the bottle.
I wonder how I can get this removed without it sounding a "likely story" as of course I don't have a receipt - and how did it get through the door of the place anyhow I wonder?
The thing is really securely made so without the appropriate key I won't be able to get it off without breaking the bottle and losing the stuff (although I'm sure the Doc would prefer that outcome!).
Ascertain from your friend the name of the store from which it was bought.
Go to that shop with the present in the car.
Treat yourself to another bottle of the brandy.
Back to the car.
Swap the bottles.
Back to the shop with receipt and ask them to remove the tag.
Get ratted.
Mrcheerful
you missed out : 'Go home' after tag removal.
Let It Be
2014-12-17 22:20:29 UTC
Post by Judith
Post by t***@gmail.com
[...]
At last, Judy has admitted in writing (or typing) the she is a *miscreant* -
tut, tut! :-J
Derek F
2014-12-17 23:17:07 UTC
Post by Judith
Post by t***@gmail.com
[...]
Best suggestion yet.
Derek
Mel Rowing
2014-12-17 22:33:42 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
It was my birthday a couple of days ago and someone gave me a present of a bottle of posh brandy in a presentation box.
When I opened the box I found a security tag on the top of the bottle.
I wonder how I can get this removed without it sounding a "likely story" as of course I don't have a receipt - and how did it get through the door of the place anyhow I wonder?
The thing is really securely made so without the appropriate key I won't be able to get it off without breaking the bottle and losing the stuff (although I'm sure the Doc would prefer that outcome!).
I had a tag left on a bottle of malt a few years ago. I tried every
which way to remove it without success. In the end I took it back to the
shop (Sainsburys) who removed it immediately with profuse apologies but
only a miniature for my trouble!

I did have my itemised till receipt to hand but nobody wanted to see it.