Vince Cable: Young 'shafted' over Brexit
MM
2017-08-07 07:11:33 UTC
It's what I've been saying all along. The future belongs to the young.
One could argue that old people didn't deserve to vote in the EU
referendum, as they will be dead long before the bad effects they have
brought about kick in.

Good old Vince! He has a habit of calling a spade a spade. Britain
needs more like him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40842017

MM

http://www.avg.com
Omega
2017-08-07 07:54:01 UTC
Post by MM
It's what I've been saying all along. The future belongs to the young.
One could argue that old people didn't deserve to vote in the EU
referendum, as they will be dead long before the bad effects they have
brought about kick in.
Good old Vince! He has a habit of calling a spade a spade. Britain
needs more like him.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40842017
MM
http://www.avg.com
So, having disenfranchised yourself, you will no longer have a say in
matters Brexit. Nor your mate Vince, for that matter!

Clever fucker aren't you!

omega
Yellow
2017-08-07 14:02:19 UTC
Post by Omega
Post by MM
It's what I've been saying all along. The future belongs to the young.
One could argue that old people didn't deserve to vote in the EU
referendum, as they will be dead long before the bad effects they have
brought about kick in.
Good old Vince! He has a habit of calling a spade a spade. Britain
needs more like him.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40842017
MM
http://www.avg.com
So, having disenfranchised yourself, you will no longer have a say in
matters Brexit. Nor your mate Vince, for that matter!
Clever fucker aren't you!
omega
Vince Cable is one of my least favourite politicians and he is living up
to my usual expectations.
Norman Wells
How old's Vince? Can you tell us?
Ian Jackson
2017-08-07 16:16:09 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
How old's Vince? Can you tell us?
75 (I think?).
Ian
Dean Jackson
2017-08-07 23:39:57 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Norman Wells
How old's Vince? Can you tell us?
75 (I think?).
But evidently young at heart.
D.J.
Bod
2017-08-07 08:45:16 UTC
Post by MM
It's what I've been saying all along. The future belongs to the young.
One could argue that old people didn't deserve to vote in the EU
referendum, as they will be dead long before the bad effects they have
brought about kick in.
Good old Vince! He has a habit of calling a spade a spade. Britain
needs more like him.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40842017
MM
http://www.avg.com
Cable is a typical politician and a sore loser.
What he is in effect saying, is that the older Brexit voters shouldn't
have the freedom to vote who they want to vote for.
In a proper democracy a persons vote should be respected.
He shows disrespect.
James Harris
2017-08-07 09:18:59 UTC
Post by Bod
Post by MM
It's what I've been saying all along. The future belongs to the young.
One could argue that old people didn't deserve to vote in the EU
referendum, as they will be dead long before the bad effects they have
brought about kick in.
Good old Vince! He has a habit of calling a spade a spade. Britain
needs more like him.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40842017
MM
http://www.avg.com
Cable is a typical politician and a sore loser.
What he is in effect saying, is that the older Brexit voters shouldn't
have the freedom to vote who they want to vote for.
In a proper democracy a persons vote should be respected.
He shows disrespect.
Cable sits in office, thinks: "How can I phrase this to tap in to the
preconceptions of young voters and increase the divisions in society?"

"Got it!"

The one good thing in the current climate is that if it has any success
it is likely only to reduce youth support for Labour.
James Harris
Bod
Indeed, I'm sure they've got the intelligence to see through him.
James Harris
2017-08-07 10:31:29 UTC
Post by Bod
Post by James Harris
Post by Bod
Post by MM
[...]
Agreed. By him parroting existing memes he is in danger of being seen to
be doing nothing more than jumping on an existing bandwagon.
James Harris
Mike Swift
2017-08-07 11:33:49 UTC
Post by Bod
Post by James Harris
The one good thing in the current climate is that if it has any success
it is likely only to reduce youth support for Labour.
Indeed, I'm sure they've got the intelligence to see through him.
They weren't intelligent enough to see through Corbyn.

Mike
Yorkshire Halvard Lange
Bod
Ha, that's true :-)
Vidcapper
2017-08-07 14:47:19 UTC
Post by Mike Swift
Post by Bod
Post by James Harris
The one good thing in the current climate is that if it has any success
it is likely only to reduce youth support for Labour.
Indeed, I'm sure they've got the intelligence to see through him.
They weren't intelligent enough to see through Corbyn.
And these were supposedly university squality students...
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Col
2017-08-08 07:15:55 UTC
Post by Mike Swift
Post by Bod
Post by James Harris
The one good thing in the current climate is that if it has any success
it is likely only to reduce youth support for Labour.
Indeed, I'm sure they've got the intelligence to see through him.
They weren't intelligent enough to see through Corbyn.
They were offered an election bribe, and some of them fell for it.
But election bribes are nothing new.
Col
Ian Jackson
2017-08-08 07:27:46 UTC
Post by Col
Post by Mike Swift
Post by Bod
Post by James Harris
The one good thing in the current climate is that if it has any success
it is likely only to reduce youth support for Labour.
Indeed, I'm sure they've got the intelligence to see through him.
They weren't intelligent enough to see through Corbyn.
They were offered an election bribe, and some of them fell for it.
But election bribes are nothing new.
There are bribes and bribes. What was the "£350M for the NHS" if it
wasn't a bribe?
Ian
Col
2017-08-08 07:37:56 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Col
Post by Mike Swift
Post by Bod
Post by James Harris
The one good thing in the current climate is that if it has any success
it is likely only to reduce youth support for Labour.
Indeed, I'm sure they've got the intelligence to see through him.
They weren't intelligent enough to see through Corbyn.
They were offered an election bribe, and some of them fell for it.
But election bribes are nothing new.
There are bribes and bribes. What was the "£350M for the NHS" if it
wasn't a bribe?
I'll see your £350m and raise you a cool £1bn to bribe the DUP to
support the Tories!
Col
Ian Jackson
2017-08-08 07:44:03 UTC
Post by Col
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Col
Post by Mike Swift
Post by Bod
Post by James Harris
The one good thing in the current climate is that if it has any success
it is likely only to reduce youth support for Labour.
Indeed, I'm sure they've got the intelligence to see through him.
They weren't intelligent enough to see through Corbyn.
They were offered an election bribe, and some of them fell for it.
But election bribes are nothing new.
There are bribes and bribes. What was the "£350M for the NHS" if it
wasn't a bribe?
I'll see your £350m and raise you a cool £1bn to bribe the DUP to
support the Tories!
You win.
"You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run"
Ian
Norman Wells
2017-08-08 08:46:36 UTC
Post by Col
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Col
Post by Mike Swift
Post by Bod
Post by James Harris
The one good thing in the current climate is that if it has any success
it is likely only to reduce youth support for Labour.
Indeed, I'm sure they've got the intelligence to see through him.
They weren't intelligent enough to see through Corbyn.
They were offered an election bribe, and some of them fell for it.
But election bribes are nothing new.
There are bribes and bribes. What was the "£350M for the NHS" if it
wasn't a bribe?
I'll see your £350m and raise you a cool £1bn to bribe the DUP to
support the Tories!
It's hardly bribing the DUP. The money will not be spent on
backhanders, lavish yachts and parties for them, but on infrastructure
and services for the Northern Irish people.
Col
2017-08-08 08:54:01 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Col
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Col
Post by Mike Swift
Post by Bod
Post by James Harris
The one good thing in the current climate is that if it has any success
it is likely only to reduce youth support for Labour.
Indeed, I'm sure they've got the intelligence to see through him.
They weren't intelligent enough to see through Corbyn.
They were offered an election bribe, and some of them fell for it.
But election bribes are nothing new.
There are bribes and bribes. What was the "£350M for the NHS" if it
wasn't a bribe?
I'll see your £350m and raise you a cool £1bn to bribe the DUP to
support the Tories!
It's hardly bribing the DUP. The money will not be spent on
backhanders, lavish yachts and parties for them, but on infrastructure
and services for the Northern Irish people.
One man's deal is another man's bribe.
It's like the terrorist or freedom fighter debate.
Col
Norman Wells
I think a bribe has to be of personal benefit, not universal.
Ophelia
2017-08-07 13:35:40 UTC
Post by MM
It's what I've been saying all along. The future belongs to the young.
One could argue that old people didn't deserve to vote in the EU
referendum, as they will be dead long before the bad effects they have
brought about kick in.
Good old Vince! He has a habit of calling a spade a spade. Britain
needs more like him.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40842017
MM
http://www.avg.com
Cable is a typical politician and a sore loser.
What he is in effect saying, is that the older Brexit voters shouldn't
have the freedom to vote who they want to vote for.
In a proper democracy a persons vote should be respected.
He shows disrespect.

==

He just wants his own way and he is doing an MM and twisting everything to
suit his agenda!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Bod
Totally agree.
Ian Jackson
2017-08-07 16:28:44 UTC
Post by Bod
Post by MM
It's what I've been saying all along. The future belongs to the young.
One could argue that old people didn't deserve to vote in the EU
referendum, as they will be dead long before the bad effects they have
brought about kick in.
Good old Vince! He has a habit of calling a spade a spade. Britain
needs more like him.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40842017
Cable is a typical politician and a sore loser.
I think that most Remainers are not sore losers. Instead, they're simply
people who are worried about what the UK might become after we've left
the EU.
Post by Bod
What he is in effect saying, is that the older Brexit voters shouldn't
have the freedom to vote who they want to vote for.
In a proper democracy a persons vote should be respected.
He shows disrespect.
You are talking nonsense. You Brexiteers seem fixated on things like
'respect' and 'loyalty'. Many of you seem to have taken the result of
the referendum as a personal victory, and are therefore taking it as a
personal affront when anyone dares question whether you really didn't
think things through properly, and made a big mistake (not just for
yourselves, but for everyone in the UK) when you voted to leave.
Ian
Norman Wells
2017-08-07 16:41:35 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Bod
What he is in effect saying, is that the older Brexit voters shouldn't
have the freedom to vote who they want to vote for.
In a proper democracy a persons vote should be respected.
He shows disrespect.
You are talking nonsense. You Brexiteers seem fixated on things like
'respect' and 'loyalty'. Many of you seem to have taken the result of
the referendum as a personal victory, and are therefore taking it as a
personal affront when anyone dares question whether you really didn't
think things through properly, and made a big mistake (not just for
yourselves, but for everyone in the UK) when you voted to leave.
It was a democratic decision arrived at by as democratic a vote as you
can get, after 100 days of seemingly endless debate. And it was
achieved by a subtantial majority of 1.7 million votes.

Those who can't or won't accept it are deniers of democracy. They
should be ashamed to consider themselves democrats, and especially
Liberal Democrats when neither word applies, especially the latter.
pensive hamster
2017-08-07 17:28:12 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Bod writes
Post by Bod
[...]
Not necessarily. This country has a parliamentary democracy
which involves an ongoing process of debate, discussion and
review, which sometimes leads to evolution or changes in policy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy#Representative

"...Under a parliamentary democracy, government is exercised
by delegation to an executive ministry and subject to ongoing
review, checks and balances by the legislative parliament elected
by the people.[103][104][105][106]"
Post by Norman Wells
They
should be ashamed to consider themselves democrats, and especially
Liberal Democrats when neither word applies, especially the latter.
Perhaps those who wish to shut down the ongoing debates
are the real deniers of democracy.
Norman Wells
2017-08-07 18:13:43 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
You are talking nonsense. You Brexiteers seem fixated on things like
'respect' and 'loyalty'. Many of you seem to have taken the result of
the referendum as a personal victory, and are therefore taking it as a
personal affront when anyone dares question whether you really didn't
think things through properly, and made a big mistake (not just for
yourselves, but for everyone in the UK) when you voted to leave.
It was a democratic decision arrived at by as democratic a vote as you
can get, after 100 days of seemingly endless debate. And it was
achieved by a subtantial majority of 1.7 million votes.
Those who can't or won't accept it are deniers of democracy.
Not necessarily. This country has a parliamentary democracy
which involves an ongoing process of debate, discussion and
review, which sometimes leads to evolution or changes in policy.
Parliament is the servant of the people. It delegated this decision to
the people, who decided. It is incumbent on Parliament to act in
accordance with that democratic decision.
Sid
2017-08-07 18:46:12 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
Or Moaning old muppets like Jackson.

Moaning like the sad loser for over a year.

If Jackson was so concerned about the UK. Why did he vote for The Labour
Party. A party whose sole intent it to bring down The Government.

Sore loser does not come close to describing Remoaners.

Ian Jackson
2017-08-07 19:07:20 UTC
Post by Sid
If Jackson was so concerned about the UK. Why did he vote for The
Labour Party.
How do YOU know how I voted? I think we should be told!
Ian
Norman Wells
2017-08-07 20:21:24 UTC
Post by Sid
Post by Norman Wells
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
Well, of course it was. It's its job.

But it was still in favour of Brexit and abiding by the decision of the
British people to leave.
Sid
Corbyn is in favour of Brexit. Jackson isnt.
tim...
2017-08-08 07:26:39 UTC
Post by Sid
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Sid
Post by Norman Wells
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
well maybe

but I don't see how you can extrapolate the rest of his politics from that

Brexit isn't a Left-Right argument

2017-08-08 07:25:31 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Sid
Post by Norman Wells
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
Or not

depending on which day of the week it was

and who you asked

Where's Todal when you need him to cloud an issue completely?
pensive hamster
2017-08-08 10:04:11 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
Would it be undemocratic for parliament to consult the voters
once again to see if they still think Brexit is a good idea, once
whatever Brexit means in practice becomes clearer?
Norman Wells
2017-08-08 10:59:38 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Norman Wells
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
Yes. It's asking again and again until you get the result you want,
which then magically becomes the final decision.

When it was put to the people it was made clear it was a once in a
generation thing, that it was our chance to decide our future, and
whatever we decided in that referendum the government would do.

If Crewe Alexandra beat Manchester United in an FA Cup match, should it
be replayed until the right side wins? Would that be fair? Why should
Crewe have to go through it all over again? The rules were clear at the
start, and they won fair and square.
Bod
Er, those who do not accept a demographic vote are the deniers.
Bod
Make that *democratic* :-)
pensive hamster
Bod
You mean keep having a referendum until you get the result that you want?
Vidcapper
2017-08-08 07:00:39 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Norman Wells
It was a democratic decision arrived at by as democratic a vote as you
can get, after 100 days of seemingly endless debate. And it was
achieved by a subtantial majority of 1.7 million votes.
Those who can't or won't accept it are deniers of democracy.
Not necessarily. This country has a parliamentary democracy
which involves an ongoing process of debate, discussion and
review, which sometimes leads to evolution or changes in policy.
Then on that basis, surely the only thing that should be able to reverse
Brexit would be another referendum that produced an opposite result to
the first?

Unfortunately for hardcore remoaners, even a significant proportion of
those who voted Remain, accept that the democratic result should be
respected.
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
tim...
2017-08-08 07:28:25 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Norman Wells
It was a democratic decision arrived at by as democratic a vote as you
can get, after 100 days of seemingly endless debate. And it was
achieved by a subtantial majority of 1.7 million votes.
Those who can't or won't accept it are deniers of democracy.
Not necessarily. This country has a parliamentary democracy
which involves an ongoing process of debate, discussion and
review, which sometimes leads to evolution or changes in policy.
Then on that basis, surely the only thing that should be able to reverse
Brexit would be another referendum that produced an opposite result to the
first?
Unfortunately for hardcore remoaners, even a significant proportion of
those who voted Remain, accept that the democratic result should be
respected.
I'm sure that some of them even wanted the end result of being out

they were just not prepared to suffer the problems of getting there

tim
Ian Jackson
2017-08-08 08:17:56 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Norman Wells
It was a democratic decision arrived at by as democratic a vote as you
can get, after 100 days of seemingly endless debate. And it was
achieved by a subtantial majority of 1.7 million votes.
Those who can't or won't accept it are deniers of democracy.
Not necessarily. This country has a parliamentary democracy
which involves an ongoing process of debate, discussion and
review, which sometimes leads to evolution or changes in policy.
Then on that basis, surely the only thing that should be able to
reverse Brexit would be another referendum that produced an opposite
result to the first?
Unfortunately for hardcore remoaners, even a significant proportion
of those who voted Remain, accept that the democratic result should
be respected.
I'm sure that some of them even wanted the end result of being out
You may be - to some extent - correct.

Most of us know that the EU is far from perfect, and would love to have
all the advantages without any of the disadvantages. If it meant leaving
the EU to achieve this Utopian situation, I can't see many Remainers
wanting to remain! However, it isn't going to happen in the foreseeable
future, and I guess we compared the rough with the smooth, and in the
circumstances we decided it was better to stay.
Post by tim...
they were just not prepared to suffer the problems of getting there
What 'problems'? Many Brexiteers have assured us that there won't be
many problems. But if there ARE some problems, and if they are
insurmountable, will we ever 'get there'?
Ian
Norman Wells
We'll get somewhere. It's inevitable.
Ian Jackson
2017-08-08 09:32:44 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by tim...
they were just not prepared to suffer the problems of getting there
What 'problems'? Many Brexiteers have assured us that there won't be
many problems. But if there ARE some problems, and if they are
insurmountable, will we ever 'get there'?
We'll get somewhere. It's inevitable.
A lot of Brexiteers (probably those who can't afford crystal balls) have
said that they don't care where it is - as long as it's not here.
Ian
Norman Wells
2017-08-08 11:04:05 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by tim...
they were just not prepared to suffer the problems of getting there
What 'problems'? Many Brexiteers have assured us that there won't be
many problems. But if there ARE some problems, and if they are
insurmountable, will we ever 'get there'?
We'll get somewhere. It's inevitable.
A lot of Brexiteers (probably those who can't afford crystal balls) have
said that they don't care where it is - as long as it's not here.
They've made the decision to leave home, and are determined to make the
best of it they can. It would be defeatist to go back. There's a new
life to be forged, their own mistakes to make, and their own triumphs to
enjoy.

Did you never leave home?

pensive hamster
2017-08-08 10:08:36 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Norman Wells
It was a democratic decision arrived at by as democratic a vote as you
can get, after 100 days of seemingly endless debate. And it was
achieved by a subtantial majority of 1.7 million votes.
Those who can't or won't accept it are deniers of democracy.
Not necessarily. This country has a parliamentary democracy
which involves an ongoing process of debate, discussion and
review, which sometimes leads to evolution or changes in policy.
Then on that basis, surely the only thing that should be able to reverse
Brexit would be another referendum that produced an opposite result to
the first?
Yes, that is how I see it too.
Post by Vidcapper
Unfortunately for hardcore remoaners, even a significant proportion of
those who voted Remain, accept that the democratic result should be
respected.
What is a hardcore remoaner? Are there softcore remainers as well?

MM
2017-08-07 18:37:21 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Bod
What he is in effect saying, is that the older Brexit voters shouldn't
have the freedom to vote who they want to vote for.
In a proper democracy a persons vote should be respected.
He shows disrespect.
You are talking nonsense. You Brexiteers seem fixated on things like
'respect' and 'loyalty'. Many of you seem to have taken the result of
the referendum as a personal victory, and are therefore taking it as a
personal affront when anyone dares question whether you really didn't
think things through properly, and made a big mistake (not just for
yourselves, but for everyone in the UK) when you voted to leave.
It was a democratic decision arrived at by as democratic a vote as you
can get, after 100 days of seemingly endless debate. And it was
achieved by a subtantial majority of 1.7 million votes.
You're lying. The majority was 1,269,501

"Leave 17,410,742
Remain 16,141,241"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum,_2016
Post by Norman Wells
Those who can't or won't accept it are deniers of democracy. They
should be ashamed to consider themselves democrats, and especially
Liberal Democrats when neither word applies, especially the latter.
Some upholder YOU are of democracy when you tell porkies like
"substantial majority of 1.7 million votes".

MM

http://www.avg.com
Norman Wells
2017-08-07 20:28:46 UTC
Post by MM
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Norman Wells
Those who can't or won't accept it are deniers of democracy. They
should be ashamed to consider themselves democrats, and especially
Liberal Democrats when neither word applies, especially the latter.
Some upholder YOU are of democracy when you tell porkies like
"substantial majority of 1.7 million votes".
That's got absolutely nothing to do with democracy but I have to admit
you're right on the numbers.

The referendum was obviously a clear victory for Remain. Can we at
least agree on that?
Bod
2017-08-07 16:44:36 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Bod
What he is in effect saying, is that the older Brexit voters shouldn't
have the freedom to vote who they want to vote for.
In a proper democracy a persons vote should be respected.
He shows disrespect.
You are talking nonsense. You Brexiteers seem fixated on things like
'respect' and 'loyalty'. Many of you seem to have taken the result of
the referendum as a personal victory, and are therefore taking it as a
personal affront when anyone dares question whether you really didn't
think things through properly, and made a big mistake (not just for
yourselves, but for everyone in the UK) when you voted to leave.
I only objected to being accused of "shafting" other voters.
Not exactly diplomatic language from a politician.
Ian Jackson
2017-08-07 18:27:45 UTC
Post by Bod
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Bod
What he is in effect saying, is that the older Brexit voters
shouldn't have the freedom to vote who they want to vote for.
In a proper democracy a persons vote should be respected.
He shows disrespect.
You are talking nonsense. You Brexiteers seem fixated on things like
'respect' and 'loyalty'. Many of you seem to have taken the result of
the referendum as a personal victory, and are therefore taking it as a
personal affront when anyone dares question whether you really didn't
think things through properly, and made a big mistake (not just for
yourselves, but for everyone in the UK) when you voted to leave.
I only objected to being accused of "shafting" other voters.
Not exactly diplomatic language from a politician.
I do concede that point. I've always considered "shaft" to be a thinly
disguised euphemism for "bugger" (literally). "Screw" is yet another
term. You probably wouldn't use any of these terms in the presence of
your maiden aunt (although even maiden aunts can be pretty foul-mouthed
these days).

While I believe in calling a spade "a fucking spade", it would indeed be
better if people like politicians could try and keep things dignified.

Nevertheless, Vince Cable's use of rather 'common' language does not
detract from the validity of his argument - and it is possibly an
indication of his deeply-felt concern for what might happen to the UK.
Ian
Dan S. MacAbre
2017-08-07 16:48:43 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Bod
Post by MM
It's what I've been saying all along. The future belongs to the young.
One could argue that old people didn't deserve to vote in the EU
referendum, as they will be dead long before the bad effects they have
brought about kick in.
Good old Vince! He has a habit of calling a spade a spade. Britain
needs more like him.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40842017
Cable is a typical politician and a sore loser.
I think that most Remainers are not sore losers. Instead, they're simply
people who are worried about what the UK might become after we've left
the EU.
I think leavers were worried about what the UK might become if we'd
stayed in. Of course, no-one knows what the future holds, but some
leavers seem convinced, even determined, that it will be bad.
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Bod
What he is in effect saying, is that the older Brexit voters shouldn't
have the freedom to vote who they want to vote for.
In a proper democracy a persons vote should be respected.
He shows disrespect.
You are talking nonsense. You Brexiteers seem fixated on things like
'respect' and 'loyalty'. Many of you seem to have taken the result of
the referendum as a personal victory, and are therefore taking it as a
personal affront when anyone dares question whether you really didn't
think things through properly, and made a big mistake (not just for
yourselves, but for everyone in the UK) when you voted to leave.
It's not just a case of questioning it - I think it's a case of
questioning it over and over again. No-one suggests that remainers
didn't know what they were voting for, either. I voted to remain, but
TBH, that's just how I felt on the day. I do not blame leavers for
getting pissed off. We're seeing a very pro-remain establishment double
down, and it's not something that fills one with much respect for the
democratic process.
Yellow
You are right in both your replies - spot on in fact.
tim...
2017-08-07 17:15:10 UTC
writes
Post by Bod
Post by MM
It's what I've been saying all along. The future belongs to the young.
One could argue that old people didn't deserve to vote in the EU
referendum, as they will be dead long before the bad effects they have
brought about kick in.
Good old Vince! He has a habit of calling a spade a spade. Britain
needs more like him.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40842017
Cable is a typical politician and a sore loser.
I think that most Remainers are not sore losers. Instead, they're simply
people who are worried about what the UK might become after we've left the
EU.
but we had a vote on that

and a democratic decision was made

had it gone the other way, there would no doubt be plenty of people worried
about what the UK might become staying in the EU (having eschewed the
opportunity to leave).

The Leavers don't have the moral high ground here (or the economic one, or
the legal one)

tim
Fredxxx
2017-08-07 14:19:37 UTC
Post by MM
It's what I've been saying all along. The future belongs to the young.
Given the young were supporting spend-spend-spend Corbyn perhaps they
thought their future wasn't in the UK when the debts have to be repaid?

If anyone shafted the young, it was Vince Cable and his promise
regarding tuition fees.
Vidcapper
2017-08-08 06:47:52 UTC
Post by MM
It's what I've been saying all along. The future belongs to the young.
One could argue that old people didn't deserve to vote in the EU
referendum, as they will be dead long before the bad effects they have
brought about kick in.
Good old Vince! He has a habit of calling a spade a spade. Britain
needs more like him.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40842017
Translation - he comes out with a load of old tosh!

The young had exactly the same chance to vote on Brexit as everyone
else, but they were outvoted - mainly due to those who were shafted in
the 1974 Referendum!
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Ophelia
2017-08-08 08:53:37 UTC
Post by MM
It's what I've been saying all along. The future belongs to the young.
One could argue that old people didn't deserve to vote in the EU
referendum, as they will be dead long before the bad effects they have
brought about kick in.
Good old Vince! He has a habit of calling a spade a spade. Britain
needs more like him.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40842017
Translation - he comes out with a load of old tosh!

The young had exactly the same chance to vote on Brexit as everyone
else, but they were outvoted - mainly due to those who were shafted in
the 1974 Referendum!

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

==

Would MM have been happy to have been denied a vote? I know I would!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
pullgees
Sixty years ago many young people thought Mao and Stalin were champions of the down trodden masses, that communism would defeat capitalism and we'd all be living in a happy land when the means of production have been seized by the workers. Fortunately for us all, older and wiser minds prevailed.
Ian Jackson
2017-08-08 08:37:26 UTC
Post by pullgees
Post by MM
It's what I've been saying all along. The future belongs to the young.
One could argue that old people didn't deserve to vote in the EU
referendum, as they will be dead long before the bad effects they have
brought about kick in.
Good old Vince! He has a habit of calling a spade a spade. Britain
needs more like him.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40842017
MM
http://www.avg.com
Sixty years ago many young people thought Mao and Stalin were champions
of the down trodden masses, that communism would defeat capitalism and
we'd all be living in a happy land when the means of production have
been seized by the workers. Fortunately for us all, older and wiser
minds prevailed.
Not really. What happened was that as the young people turned into old
people, they could see that they had been conned, and what they had been
told was 'communism' wasn't working - and was never going to. [One
problem is, of course, that communism and populism so easily turns into
totalitarianism and fascism.]
Ian
pullgees
2017-08-08 10:46:17 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by pullgees
Post by MM
[...]
And those young people back then are now mainly Leavers, having had the wool pulled from their eyes back then, as you say. There are those that never learn such as Corbyn.
A society is in trouble when it becomes too youth orientated and denies the wisdom of its elders.
Ophelia
2017-08-08 08:56:15 UTC
Post by MM
It's what I've been saying all along. The future belongs to the young.
One could argue that old people didn't deserve to vote in the EU
referendum, as they will be dead long before the bad effects they have
brought about kick in.
Good old Vince! He has a habit of calling a spade a spade. Britain
needs more like him.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40842017
MM
http://www.avg.com
Sixty years ago many young people thought Mao and Stalin were champions of
the down trodden masses, that communism would defeat capitalism and we'd all
be living in a happy land when the means of production have been seized by
the workers. Fortunately for us all, older and wiser minds prevailed.

:)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk