An extraordinarily good man
2017-04-19 09:57:13 UTC
Let he who is without sin rape the next woman....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39632050
Yellow
2017-04-19 12:11:40 UTC
In article <***@mid.individual.net>, ***@icloud.com
says...
I was going to reply, but do not know what to say.
Omega
2017-04-19 12:26:05 UTC
Let he who is without sin rape the next woman....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39632050
Never sure why people come out with so extraordinary, remarks?

How often have we heard hostages held at gunpoint, in fear of being shot
dead, for a week or whatever, to then be released and comment to their
saviours and the media, "how well they were treated". Just doesn't add up.

Perhaps the Mormon fuckwit rapist had some sort of hold over the judge?

omega
Nick
2017-04-19 13:53:17 UTC
Post by Omega
Perhaps the Mormon fuckwit rapist had some sort of hold over the judge?
When you say "rapist" what do you mean?

"Object rape" appears more like groping than rape. Minimum of 15 years
to life seems very harsh for groping.

One wonders what sentence the Judge would have given to someone who he
didn't think was an extraordinary good man.
The Todal
2017-04-19 17:11:24 UTC
Post by Nick
Post by Omega
Perhaps the Mormon fuckwit rapist had some sort of hold over the judge?
When you say "rapist" what do you mean?
"Object rape" appears more like groping than rape. Minimum of 15 years
to life seems very harsh for groping.
I think "object rape" means thrusting an object into a person's vagina
or anus.
Post by Nick
One wonders what sentence the Judge would have given to someone who he
didn't think was an extraordinary good man.
Maybe a bad man has the excuse of being a bad man, whereas a good man
should be held to higher standards.

The letters in mitigation were apparently extraordinarily moving. So the
Mormon sex offender probably managed to afford very good lawyers.
Phi
I expect they were all moonies together.
GB
2017-04-20 09:55:24 UTC
Maybe a bad man has the excuse of being a bad man, whereas a good man
should be held to higher standards.
The letters in mitigation were apparently extraordinarily moving. So the
Mormon sex offender probably managed to afford very good lawyers.
This will come as a shock to you, but he isn't the first religious
person to do this sort of thing.

You seem to be delighted by all this, but I'm not sure why? Is it the
betrayal of trust that fascinates you so, or the hypocrisy?
The Todal
2017-04-20 18:41:17 UTC
Post by GB
Post by The Todal
Maybe a bad man has the excuse of being a bad man, whereas a good man
should be held to higher standards.
The letters in mitigation were apparently extraordinarily moving. So the
Mormon sex offender probably managed to afford very good lawyers.
This will come as a shock to you, but he isn't the first religious
person to do this sort of thing.
You seem to be delighted by all this, but I'm not sure why? Is it the
betrayal of trust that fascinates you so, or the hypocrisy?
Delighted? What an odd word. Maybe you have a more limited range of
emotions than most people.
GB
Yes, delighted. You seem to be like a dog, rolling in fox dung. :)
j***@gmail.com
2017-04-21 11:32:40 UTC
Time and time again a person apparently of good standing commits a crime and they are referred to as being good prior to their crime.

Somehow it makes it less of a crime that a shit from an estate had committed the same crime
GB
2017-04-21 11:46:58 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Time and time again a person apparently of good standing commits a crime and they are referred to as being good prior to their crime.
Somehow it makes it less of a crime that a shit from an estate had committed the same crime
Pleas in mitigation are always pretty lame, but particularly so for
serious crimes like this.

For a minor crime like shoplifting, the main purpose of punishment is to
deter people from doing it again (and to deter others). For that
purpose, a first offender should be treated more leniently than a
habitual criminal.

For more serious offences, the punishment also serves to express
society's disapproval of the offence, which could/should be even greater
for someone of (previous) good character and certainly for someone who,
as here, has abused a position of trust.

I'm not saying that society doesn't disapprove of shoplifting, but
there's clearly a massive difference between that and rape.

Nick
2017-04-20 10:23:26 UTC
Post by Nick
Post by Omega
Perhaps the Mormon fuckwit rapist had some sort of hold over the judge?
When you say "rapist" what do you mean?
"Object rape" appears more like groping than rape. Minimum of 15 years
to life seems very harsh for groping.
I think "object rape" means thrusting an object into a person's vagina
or anus.
By thrusting you actually mean any penetration, however slight, right?

It's almost like the language used is intended to deliberately mislead
people.

Its almost like some people are deliberately trying to mislead
Custos Custodum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome
GB
2017-04-19 16:15:30 UTC
Let he who is without sin rape the next woman....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39632050
Leaving the crassness of the way the judge worded it to one side, are
you objecting to the defendant's previously good character being taken
into account for sentencing? Or was the crassness your only point?
The Todal
2017-04-19 17:13:11 UTC
Post by GB
Post by The Todal
Let he who is without sin rape the next woman....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39632050
Leaving the crassness of the way the judge worded it to one side, are
you objecting to the defendant's previously good character being taken
into account for sentencing? Or was the crassness your only point?
I'm just wondering what the word "good" actually means, in the context
of a serial rapist being sentenced. Or "great" as in "great men
sometimes do bad things".

I can't imagine a Mormon bishop who would deserve to be called
extraordinarily good, or great. Rich or prosperous would seem more
appropriate adjectives.