Ukip should 'disband', Douglas Carswell says
2017-04-12 11:05:15 UTC
What a surprise! Well, since he managed to get 'Brexit' through single
handed, he wouldn't want anything else good to spoil his reputation ...
would he?

"Ukip should “disband” and “go home” after achieving its primary objective
of taking Britain out of the EU, the party’s former MP has said.

"Douglas Carswell was the only Ukip MP to be elected at the 2015 general
election but he quit at the end of March after a long-running feud with
other elements within the party."

"Asked what he thought should happen to Ukip now, Mr Carswell joked about
Nigel Farage’s reported wish to be knighted and said that “if you’ve won a
battle or a war you disband and you go home”.

Sucking up to Theresa now I see...

"The Clacton MP said Theresa May was 'a real revolutionary'"

What a slimy git!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ukip-disband-douglas-carswell-go-home-institute-for-government-ifg-a7678481.html
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
7
2017-04-12 11:21:40 UTC
Post by Ophelia
What a surprise! Well, since he managed to get 'Brexit' through single
handed, he wouldn't want anything else good to spoil his reputation ...
would he?
"Ukip should “disband” and “go home” after achieving its primary objective
of taking Britain out of the EU, the party’s former MP has said.
It is equally valid to demand carousel should make the merry go round and
offer to retire asap.
Dan S. MacAbre
2017-04-12 11:29:45 UTC
Post by Ophelia
What a surprise! Well, since he managed to get 'Brexit' through single
handed, he wouldn't want anything else good to spoil his reputation ...
would he?
"Ukip should “disband” and “go home” after achieving its primary objective
of taking Britain out of the EU, the party’s former MP has said.
We're not out yet. And there will always be someone working behind the
scenes trying to ratchet us back in. Someone has to keep an eye on them :-)
Ophelia
2017-04-12 12:23:05 UTC
Post by Ophelia
What a surprise! Well, since he managed to get 'Brexit' through single
handed, he wouldn't want anything else good to spoil his reputation ...
would he?
"Ukip should “disband” and “go home” after achieving its primary objective
of taking Britain out of the EU, the party’s former MP has said.
We're not out yet. And there will always be someone working behind the
scenes trying to ratchet us back in. Someone has to keep an eye on them :-)

===

Yes and there really needs to be!
tim...
2017-04-12 13:34:59 UTC
Post by Ophelia
What a surprise! Well, since he managed to get 'Brexit' through single
handed, he wouldn't want anything else good to spoil his reputation ...
would he?
"Ukip should “disband” and “go home” after achieving its primary objective
of taking Britain out of the EU, the party’s former MP has said.
"Douglas Carswell was the only Ukip MP to be elected at the 2015 general
election but he quit at the end of March after a long-running feud with
other elements within the party."
I suspect that once the leaving agreement is signed and sealed the
electorate will do this for him.

Even in the few places where they have voted for UKIP candidates the
individuals that were voted in have compromised the party's position by
squabbling amongst themselves and splitting up

(and I'm not referring to Mr Carswell here - I don't believe that he got
voted in as a UKIP candidate but because of his personal local following)

tim
NomenNescio
2017-04-22 11:29:55 UTC
Post by Ophelia
[...]
UKIP's joke candidate is given free rein again:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4415292/Ukip-candidate-bible-
burning-Orthodox-Jewish-rabbi.html

No sign of him being picked up by the rozzers for 'hate', wot?!?

This BS went on in 2014 in the MEP elections. He wouldn;t shake hands
with wimmin or some such.

UKIP is u-cuck.

Nutts-all.

BTW Nice posed Masonic-Symbolic pic of Nigel Farage in the fly-leaf to
his autobiography.

harry
There are scummy bastards tryong to thwart the will of the people.
pensive hamster
2017-04-12 18:44:08 UTC
On Wednesday, 12 April 2017 17:06:21 UTC+1, harry wrote:
[...]
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
We're not out yet.
There are scummy bastards tryong to thwart the will of the people.
The will of 26.7% of the people, you mean.

That's Leave voters divided by UK population:
17,410,742 divided by 65,110,000 = 0.26740503762
Fredxxx
2017-04-12 21:28:49 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
[...]
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
We're not out yet.
There are scummy bastards tryong to thwart the will of the people.
The will of 26.7% of the people, you mean.
17,410,742 divided by 65,110,000 = 0.26740503762
Using your calculations a mere 24% wanted to stay.

Sounds like the people won.
pensive hamster
2017-04-12 23:23:18 UTC
Post by Fredxxx
Post by pensive hamster
[...]
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
We're not out yet.
There are scummy bastards tryong to thwart the will of the people.
The will of 26.7% of the people, you mean.
17,410,742 divided by 65,110,000 = 0.26740503762
Using your calculations a mere 24% wanted to stay.
Sounds like the people won.
26.7 + 24 = 50.7, so that means 49.3% have no opinion,
couldn't be bothered to vote, or weren't entitled to vote.

Not convinced that is a victory for the people. Seems like
apathy had the biggest vote.
Yellow
2017-04-13 00:10:19 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Fredxxx
Post by pensive hamster
[...]
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
We're not out yet.
There are scummy bastards tryong to thwart the will of the people.
The will of 26.7% of the people, you mean.
17,410,742 divided by 65,110,000 = 0.26740503762
Using your calculations a mere 24% wanted to stay.
Sounds like the people won.
26.7 + 24 = 50.7, so that means 49.3% have no opinion,
couldn't be bothered to vote, or weren't entitled to vote.
No it doesn't because your divisor already includes those not entitled
to a vote.

Your 27% figure is therefore too low and your 50.7 is therefore too
high.
Post by pensive hamster
Not convinced that is a victory for the people. Seems like
apathy had the biggest vote.
You can play silly beggars with the figures until the cows go moo but it
chances nothing.

We had a referendum. Leave won, remain lost.
Ophelia
2017-04-13 10:48:40 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Fredxxx
Post by pensive hamster
[...]

Post by pensive hamster
Not convinced that is a victory for the people. Seems like
apathy had the biggest vote.
You can play silly beggars with the figures until the cows go moo but it
chances nothing.

We had a referendum. Leave won, remain lost.

==

He is trying to sound clever with numbers. Unfortunately, there are some
here who know how it actually works <g>

(not me, I hasten to add, but then I won't be pontificating on stuff I don't
know about)
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
pensive hamster
2017-04-13 20:50:35 UTC
pensive_hamster says...
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Fredxxx
Post by pensive hamster
[...]
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
We're not out yet.
There are scummy bastards tryong to thwart the will of the people.
The will of 26.7% of the people, you mean.
17,410,742 divided by 65,110,000 = 0.26740503762
Using your calculations a mere 24% wanted to stay.
Sounds like the people won.
26.7 + 24 = 50.7, so that means 49.3% have no opinion,
couldn't be bothered to vote, or weren't entitled to vote.
No it doesn't because your divisor already includes those not entitled
to a vote.
Of course it does. My divisor is the population of the UK, which
includes those not entitled to a vote.

People not entitled to a vote are still people, which is why I say
they should not be subsumed into the term "will of the people"
when they are people who did not have the opportunity to express
their will at the ballot box.
Your 27% figure is therefore too low and your 50.7 is therefore too
high.
I don't think so. What do you think are the correct figures?
Post by pensive hamster
Not convinced that is a victory for the people. Seems like
apathy had the biggest vote.
You can play silly beggars with the figures until the cows go moo but it
chances nothing.
Perhaps you are the one playing silly beggars with the figures,
it's not clear what point you are trying to make.
We had a referendum. Leave won, remain lost.
You seem to want to shut down the debate and silence the opposition.
Yellow
2017-04-13 21:04:15 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Yellow
Your 27% figure is therefore too low and your 50.7 is therefore too
high.
I don't think so. What do you think are the correct figures?
You cannot argue that your 50.7% figure includes those who are not
entitled to vote if you are dividing by a figure that also includes
those who are not entitled to vote.

This isn't hard.
pensive hamster
2017-04-13 21:52:20 UTC
pensive_hamster says...
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Yellow
Your 27% figure is therefore too low and your 50.7 is therefore too
high.
I don't think so. What do you think are the correct figures?
You cannot argue that your 50.7% figure includes those who are not
entitled to vote if you are dividing by a figure that also includes
those who are not entitled to vote.
This isn't hard.
Trying to follow your logic is quite hard, not to say impossible.

If you have five apples, two of which are red, and three are green,
then to calculate what percentage of apples are red, you divide
the number of red apples by the total number of apples (even though
the total number of apples includes the apples that are red), and then
multply by 100.

2/5 = 0.4 = 40%

Similarly, if 17,410,742 people voted Leave, out of a total number
of people of 65,110,000, then to calculate what percentage of
people voted Leave, you divide the number of people who voted
Leave by the total number of people (even though the total number
of people includes people who voted Leave and also people not
entitled to vote), and then multply by 100.

17,410,742 divided by 65,110,000 = 0.26740503762 = 26.7%

If it is true that 24% of people voted Remain, then you can add
26.7% + 24% = 50.7%

So why you think the 50.7 figure is too high, or why you think
I am arguing that the 50.7% figure includes those who are not
entitled to vote, I have no idea.

What I said was:

26.7 + 24 = 50.7, so that means 49.3% have no opinion,
couldn't be bothered to vote, or weren't entitled to vote.

It's the 49.3% (100% - 50.7%) figure which includes those
who are not entitled to vote.

If you disagree with my calculations, please show your own
calculations, it shouldn't be hard.
Norman Wells
2017-04-14 08:41:46 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
17,410,742 divided by 65,110,000 = 0.26740503762 = 26.7%
If it is true that 24% of people voted Remain, then you can add
26.7% + 24% = 50.7%
So why you think the 50.7 figure is too high, or why you think
I am arguing that the 50.7% figure includes those who are not
entitled to vote, I have no idea.
26.7 + 24 = 50.7, so that means 49.3% have no opinion,
couldn't be bothered to vote, or weren't entitled to vote.
It's the 49.3% (100% - 50.7%) figure which includes those
who are not entitled to vote.
If you disagree with my calculations, please show your own
calculations, it shouldn't be hard.
Your calculations are of course faultless, and you are to be commended
for your ability to divide one number by another. The question,
however, is so what? What conclusion do you draw from that, and is it a
valid conclusion?

Happily, you told us what conclusion you reached, which you
unfortunately chose not to quote in your reply. It was:

"Not convinced that is a victory for the people. Seems like
apathy had the biggest vote."

Well, you're wrong.

Those not entitled to vote on age grounds alone amounted to 13.7
million. They cannot be counted as apathetic.

Those who had 'no opinion' one way or another, ie were not decided
enough to vote decisively one way or the other, also cannot be counted
as apathetic.

Those who did not register to vote are the only ones who may be regarded
as apathetic.

46.5 million people were eligible to vote. Add the 13.7 million not
entitled to vote because of their age and you get 60.2 million who were
not apathetic. Take that from the total population which you put at
65.1 million and that leaves just 4.9 million who couldn't be bothered
(or who were ineligible to vote for reasons other than their age).

Even if you classify all those 4.9 million as apathetic, that's just
7.5% of the population. Hardly then 'the biggest vote'.

So, mathematics 10/10. Logic 0/10.
pensive hamster
2017-04-16 15:13:00 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by pensive hamster
17,410,742 divided by 65,110,000 = 0.26740503762 = 26.7%
If it is true that 24% of people voted Remain, then you can add
26.7% + 24% = 50.7%
So why you think the 50.7 figure is too high, or why you think
I am arguing that the 50.7% figure includes those who are not
entitled to vote, I have no idea.
26.7 + 24 = 50.7, so that means 49.3% have no opinion,
couldn't be bothered to vote, or weren't entitled to vote.
It's the 49.3% (100% - 50.7%) figure which includes those
who are not entitled to vote.
If you disagree with my calculations, please show your own
calculations, it shouldn't be hard.
Your calculations are of course faultless, and you are to be commended
for your ability to divide one number by another.
That's what made the British Empire great - divide and rule.
Post by Norman Wells
The question,
however, is so what? What conclusion do you draw from that, and is it a
valid conclusion?
Happily, you told us what conclusion you reached, which you
unfortunately chose not to quote in your reply.
Actually, it was Yellow who snipped that, in her post of
Thursday, 13 April 2017 22:04:16 UTC+1, to which I was replying.

Anyway, it wasn't a conclusion, more a passing comment. My
central point was that the referendum result can't accurately be
called a victory for the people, when it was actually a victory for
26.7% of the people
Post by Norman Wells
"Not convinced that is a victory for the people. Seems like
apathy had the biggest vote."
Well, you're wrong.
Those not entitled to vote on age grounds alone amounted to 13.7
million. They cannot be counted as apathetic.
Agreed.
Post by Norman Wells
Those who had 'no opinion' one way or another, ie were not decided
enough to vote decisively one way or the other, also cannot be counted
as apathetic.
One synonym of "apathetic" is "non-committal", so perhaps they
can.

Anyway, I doubt there can have been many people who were so
undecided that they couldn't bring themselves to vote, people
typically seem quite opinionated on the matter.
Post by Norman Wells
Those who did not register to vote are the only ones who may be regarded
as apathetic.
46.5 million people were eligible to vote. Add the 13.7 million not
entitled to vote because of their age and you get 60.2 million who were
not apathetic. Take that from the total population which you put at
65.1 million and that leaves just 4.9 million who couldn't be bothered
(or who were ineligible to vote for reasons other than their age).
Even if you classify all those 4.9 million as apathetic, that's just
7.5% of the population. Hardly then 'the biggest vote'.
So, mathematics 10/10. Logic 0/10.
If there are 13.7 million people not entitled to vote because of their
age, then that is 13.7/65.1 = 0.21044546851 = 21% of the
population.

49.3% didn't vote. 49.3 - 21 = 28.3%

So the percentages are:

Voted Leave 26.7%

Voted Remain 24% (according to Fredxxx)

Too young to vote 21% (based on your 13.7m figure)

Entitled to vote but didn't 28.3%

So the final group is the biggest single group. Perhaps it is a bit
harsh to say they were all apathetic, but they definitely can't be
counted under the "will of the people" heading. So I'm going to
appeal to the Headmaster for a higher mark in the logic section.

(And yes, 28.3 + 21 + 24 + 26.7 = 100, I checked.)
harry
2017-04-15 07:36:31 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
pensive_hamster says...
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Yellow
[...]
Drivel.
You You have ten apples.
Five are rotten, you throw them away.
Of the remainder, three are red and two are green.
60% of your apples are red.

The rotten one don't count/have no value.
Ophelia

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-04-13 00:23:17 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Fredxxx
Post by pensive hamster
[...]
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
We're not out yet.
There are scummy bastards tryong to thwart the will of the people.
The will of 26.7% of the people, you mean.
17,410,742 divided by 65,110,000 = 0.26740503762
Using your calculations a mere 24% wanted to stay.
Sounds like the people won.
26.7 + 24 = 50.7, so that means 49.3% have no opinion,
couldn't be bothered to vote, or weren't entitled to vote.
Not convinced that is a victory for the people. Seems like
apathy had the biggest vote.
People who don't care don't matter.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein
The Peeler
2017-04-13 10:24:38 UTC
On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 01:23:17 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
Post by pensive hamster
26.7 + 24 = 50.7, so that means 49.3% have no opinion,
couldn't be bothered to vote, or weren't entitled to vote.
Not convinced that is a victory for the people. Seems like
apathy had the biggest vote.
People who don't care don't matter.
Nope, Birdbrain, they do matter! It's stupid idiots like you that should not
matter!
--
Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic "mind" at work:
"I treat cyclists wearing the same clothes as pedestrians as pedestrians."
MID: <***@red.lan>
Ophelia
2017-04-13 10:46:01 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
[...]
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
We're not out yet.
There are scummy bastards tryong to thwart the will of the people.
The will of 26.7% of the people, you mean.
17,410,742 divided by 65,110,000 = 0.26740503762
Using your calculations a mere 24% wanted to stay.

Sounds like the people won.

===

:)) Don't dazzle him with maths. He will look even denser than he usually
does:))
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
pensive hamster
2017-04-13 20:53:37 UTC
Post by Fredxxx
Post by pensive hamster
[...]
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
We're not out yet.
There are scummy bastards tryong to thwart the will of the people.
The will of 26.7% of the people, you mean.
17,410,742 divided by 65,110,000 = 0.26740503762
Using your calculations a mere 24% wanted to stay.
Sounds like the people won.
===
:)) Don't dazzle him with maths. He will look even denser than he usually
does
It was certainly a dazzling display of mathematical skill, dividing one
number by another like that. I'm sure we are all totally dazzled.
Post by Fredxxx
:))
Is that a double chin?
Yellow
2017-04-13 21:06:16 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Fredxxx
Post by pensive hamster
[...]
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
We're not out yet.
There are scummy bastards tryong to thwart the will of the people.
The will of 26.7% of the people, you mean.
17,410,742 divided by 65,110,000 = 0.26740503762
Using your calculations a mere 24% wanted to stay.
Sounds like the people won.
===
:)) Don't dazzle him with maths. He will look even denser than he usually
does
It was certainly a dazzling display of mathematical skill, dividing one
number by another like that. I'm sure we are all totally dazzled.
Any idiot can divide one number by another, but the trick you are
missing is to use meaningful numbers and to not misrepresent the result.