Is It Time To Scrap The Met Office
Omega
2017-05-12 10:43:35 UTC
The other day, two or three weather forecasters at the Met Office, each
in turn proclaimed, the end of the chilly days and nights, is here.

On the strength of it, I closed down my multi-fuel stove for the summer
season and I swept the flue and serviced the burner.

I'm sitting here today fucking freezing, piddling it down and with an
outside temperature of 11C and not much warmer indoors, with about half
an hour to go to midday! Thankfully I have oil heating backup and at
least, keeps the stove clean for a while longer.

Is there really any value in running a weather forecast service which
couldn't be any further from the actual weather on the ground? They get
it wrong far too often!

I don't really subscribe to conspiracy theories as many of you know but
there are far too many times, these over paid bastards, 'appear' to talk
the weather up.

Have I missed something important getting so engrossed in the weather,
this week?

omega
Spike
2017-05-12 10:58:58 UTC
Post by Omega
[...]
I deleted the Met Office app on my phone because the forecasts were rubbish.

Have a look for the Dark Sky app (£2.50). It gives accurate very local
forecasts and is very good, far superior to the MetO and BBC apps.
Spike
Ian Jackson
2017-05-12 11:18:38 UTC
Post by Spike
I deleted the Met Office app on my phone because the forecasts were rubbish.
Have a look for the Dark Sky app (£2.50). It gives accurate very local
forecasts and is very good, far superior to the MetO and BBC apps.
Although a Norwegian website, this is better than most for the UK
(especially long-term forecasts):
https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/
Ian
Omega
2017-05-12 11:43:42 UTC
Post by Spike
Post by Omega
[...]
Thank you. I have looked at the free version and looks rather
impressive. I might upgrade as there are some useful additions, £2-99
now by the way.

The sun definitely won't be cracking the flag stones this week.

omega
Norman Wells
2017-05-12 13:02:31 UTC
Post by Omega
Post by Spike
I deleted the Met Office app on my phone because the forecasts were rubbish.
Have a look for the Dark Sky app (£2.50). It gives accurate very local
forecasts and is very good, far superior to the MetO and BBC apps.
Thank you. I have looked at the free version and looks rather
impressive. I might upgrade as there are some useful additions, £2-99
now by the way.
The sun definitely won't be cracking the flag stones this week.
My wife scans all the forecasts she can find and settles on the one she
likes the best. Couldn't you do the same?
newsreader crashed again
2017-05-12 17:28:02 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Omega
Post by Spike
I deleted the Met Office app on my phone because the forecasts were rubbish.
Have a look for the Dark Sky app (£2.50). It gives accurate very local
forecasts and is very good, far superior to the MetO and BBC apps.
Thank you. I have looked at the free version and looks rather
impressive. I might upgrade as there are some useful additions, £2-99
now by the way.
The sun definitely won't be cracking the flag stones this week.
My wife scans all the forecasts she can find and settles on the one she
likes the best. Couldn't you do the same?
You have a wife...

Heaven help us all.
--
Posted by Mimo Usenet Browser v0.2.5
http://www.mimousenet.com/mimo/post
Norman Wells
It's alright. I don't need another one, and I don't fancy you anyway.
newsreader crashed again
2017-05-12 17:59:32 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Omega
Post by Spike
I deleted the Met Office app on my phone because the forecasts were rubbish.
Have a look for the Dark Sky app (£2.50). It gives accurate very local
forecasts and is very good, far superior to the MetO and BBC apps.
Thank you. I have looked at the free version and looks rather
impressive. I might upgrade as there are some useful additions, £2-99
now by the way.
The sun definitely won't be cracking the flag stones this week.
My wife scans all the forecasts she can find and settles on the one she
likes the best. Couldn't you do the same?
You have a wife...
Heaven help us all.
It's alright. I don't need another one, and I don't fancy you anyway.
Is that the best you can come up with...

But then you must be sick of hearing that from her.

Honestly, you would be far better off with me, fancying or not.
Norman Wells
2017-05-12 18:14:16 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Omega
Post by Spike
I deleted the Met Office app on my phone because the forecasts were rubbish.
Have a look for the Dark Sky app (£2.50). It gives accurate very local
forecasts and is very good, far superior to the MetO and BBC apps.
Thank you. I have looked at the free version and looks rather
impressive. I might upgrade as there are some useful additions, £2-99
now by the way.
The sun definitely won't be cracking the flag stones this week.
My wife scans all the forecasts she can find and settles on the one she
likes the best. Couldn't you do the same?
You have a wife...
Heaven help us all.
It's alright. I don't need another one, and I don't fancy you anyway.
Is that the best you can come up with...
Pretty much. I haven't had my dinner yet.
Post by newsreader crashed again
But then you must be sick of hearing that from her.
Honestly, you would be far better off with me, fancying or not.
Sorry, I just couldn't bring myself to go with anyone called Newsreader
Crashed.

Sounds like a sort of computer mishap.
Omega
2017-05-12 18:03:41 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Omega
Post by Spike
I deleted the Met Office app on my phone because the forecasts were rubbish.
Have a look for the Dark Sky app (£2.50). It gives accurate very local
forecasts and is very good, far superior to the MetO and BBC apps.
Thank you. I have looked at the free version and looks rather
impressive. I might upgrade as there are some useful additions, £2-99
now by the way.
The sun definitely won't be cracking the flag stones this week.
My wife scans all the forecasts she can find and settles on the one she
likes the best. Couldn't you do the same?
She sounds like a woman I once knew.

What sort of a car do you have?

A red one.

omega
Norman Wells
I didn't know you knew my wife!
Joe
2017-05-12 20:03:11 UTC
On Fri, 12 May 2017 19:03:41 +0100
Post by Omega
She sounds like a woman I once knew.
What sort of a car do you have?
A red one.
Different interests. A man might be able to name the regular players in
every team in the football Premier League (I can't) and a woman will
know the colours and patterns of the carpets, curtains and wallpaper in
every room of everywhere she has lived in the last 40 years (*with*
*dates*).
Joe
Ophelia

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
abelard
2017-05-12 11:02:53 UTC
Post by Omega
The other day, two or three weather forecasters at the Met Office, each
in turn proclaimed, the end of the chilly days and nights, is here.
such dissatisfaction always comes to those who believe in forecasting.

but the met office remains among the best on this planet

information is an insult to ignorance..we should ban it...

vote for corvyd's brother
omega
Martin Brown
2017-05-12 12:08:12 UTC
Post by Omega
The other day, two or three weather forecasters at the Met Office, each
in turn proclaimed, the end of the chilly days and nights, is here.
You should be well aware that the weather forecast is London weighted.
Post by Omega
On the strength of it, I closed down my multi-fuel stove for the summer
season and I swept the flue and serviced the burner.
I'm sitting here today fucking freezing, piddling it down and with an
outside temperature of 11C and not much warmer indoors, with about half
an hour to go to midday! Thankfully I have oil heating backup and at
least, keeps the stove clean for a while longer.
You must be very a long way north then. The sun isn't quite cutting
through the sea fret yet but it is on the verge of being sunny in North
Yorkshire (and has been nice and warm all week) - but some overnight
ground frost on clear nights. My heating has been off for a while.
Post by Omega
Is there really any value in running a weather forecast service which
couldn't be any further from the actual weather on the ground? They get
it wrong far too often!
They do surprisingly well given how fickle the weather in the UK can be.
Post by Omega
I don't really subscribe to conspiracy theories as many of you know but
there are far too many times, these over paid bastards, 'appear' to talk
the weather up.
Have I missed something important getting so engrossed in the weather,
this week?
If Corbyn gets elected you may get your wish and weather forecasts will
be by his brother Piers of "WeatherAction" worth posting a link as a
beautiful example of how to design a crank conspiracy website.

http://www.weatheraction.com/

Be *very* careful what you wish for!
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
burfordTjustice
2017-05-12 12:31:09 UTC
On Fri, 12 May 2017 11:43:35 +0100
Subject: Is It Time To Scrap The Met Office
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 11:43:35 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.politics.misc,uk.legal
Post by Omega
The other day, two or three weather forecasters at the Met Office, each
in turn proclaimed, the end of the chilly days and nights, is here.
On the strength of it, I closed down my multi-fuel stove for the summer
season and I swept the flue and serviced the burner.
I'm sitting here today fucking freezing, piddling it down and with an
outside temperature of 11C and not much warmer indoors, with about half
an hour to go to midday! Thankfully I have oil heating backup and at
least, keeps the stove clean for a while longer.
Is there really any value in running a weather forecast service which
couldn't be any further from the actual weather on the ground? They get
it wrong far too often!
If only someone would invent something like a 'thermostat' to turn the
heating on when you need it and turn it off when you don't. Life would
be so much simpler.
burfordTjustice
2017-05-12 14:00:19 UTC
On Fri, 12 May 2017 14:00:18 +0100
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Omega
[...]
As the UK is about 40-50 years behind other developed countries,
the Thermostat will arrive soon.
Jethro_uk
2017-05-12 13:16:34 UTC
Post by Omega
I don't really subscribe to conspiracy theories as many of you know but
there are far too many times, these over paid bastards, 'appear' to talk
the weather up.
I have no idea how the Met Office are now. I gave up on them a while ago.

But I do suspect that their forecasts are skewed to play up anything
which supports man made climate change. Remember those "barbecue summers"
we were promised a few years ago in long range forecasts which never
materialised ?
Nightjar
2017-05-12 16:51:13 UTC
Post by Omega
[...]
Learn to read a synoptic chart and you can do your own forecasts.
However, Britain has the most changeable weather in the world. That
means you can only expect accuracy from a six hour forecast. A 12 hour
forecast is very likely to be correct. A 24 hour forecast is what will
probably happen. After that, the probability of being accurate decline
quite quickly. Anything more than two weeks ahead is simply guesswork.

Colin Bignell
AnthonyL
2017-05-13 11:48:26 UTC
Post by Nightjar
Post by Omega
[...]
Though you might hope that the local weather warning of rain in 3hrs
might have been updated as it was chucking it down outside at the
time.
--
AnthonyL