Mogg Corner 3
Add Reply
pullgees
2017-08-01 16:39:11 UTC
"It (the ECJ) cannot be our senior court for a day after we’ve left the European Union. It is about control. Do we make our laws according to our own democratic principles on the day we’ve left or not. If we don’t, we’re still in the European Union and that is the essence of this whole debate."
Ophelia
2017-08-01 19:56:03 UTC
"pullgees" wrote in message news:4d80d0af-05ef-473c-a6d1-***@googlegroups.com...

"It (the ECJ) cannot be our senior court for a day after we’ve left the
European Union. It is about control. Do we make our laws according to our
own democratic principles on the day we’ve left or not. If we don’t, we’re
still in the European Union and that is the essence of this whole debate."

==

Brilliant:) We have always liked him and he just gets better and better. He
never waffles and is straight down the line. Makes quite a change for
politicians

I see there is a movement afoot to get him as PM :))
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
pullgees
He should at least be heading the Brexit team.
Ophelia
2017-08-02 08:45:36 UTC
Post by pullgees
"It (the ECJ) cannot be our senior court for a day after we’ve left the
European Union. It is about control. Do we make our laws according to our
own democratic principles on the day we’ve left or not. If we don’t, we’re
still in the European Union and that is the essence of this whole debate."
==
Brilliant:) We have always liked him and he just gets better and better.
He
never waffles and is straight down the line. Makes quite a change for
politicians
I see there is a movement afoot to get him as PM :))
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
He should at least be heading the Brexit team.

==

Davis seems to be doing a good job, but I have to say Jacob would be my
first choice.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
pullgees
I don't trust Johnson and Gove as far as I can spit.
Ophelia
2017-08-02 13:06:29 UTC
Post by pullgees
Post by pullgees
[...]

Nope! Especially Gove.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
R. Mark Clayton
2017-08-02 16:06:18 UTC
Post by pullgees
Post by pullgees
Post by pullgees
[...]
Nor Davis, nor May, although at least now when she says she is not PLANNING a general election, you can probably believe her...
Post by pullgees
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
MM
2017-08-03 17:44:10 UTC
Post by pullgees
Post by pullgees
[...]
That depends on how far. Dribbling doesn't count.

MM

http://www.avg.com
pullgees
Speaking of dribbles, you must be drowning in yours.
MM
2017-08-04 08:19:30 UTC
Post by pullgees
Post by MM
Post by pullgees
Post by pullgees
[...]
Not when I'm wearing my bib, aka trousers.

MM
R. Mark Clayton
Indeed, he would make an excellent scape goat - just like that hopeless toff and fellow old Etonian - Alex Douglas-Home, who was PPS to Chamberlain during appeasement and later PM for just under a year before losing to Labour...
pullgees
You forgot mention Home was a leading voice for us joining the EEC, therefore not a good comparison to DRM. What you will need to do as this man becomes an opinion leader for Brexit is challenge his case not slur his upbringing, that's purile.
Ophelia
2017-08-03 08:02:57 UTC
Post by pullgees
Post by pullgees
[...]

What else does he have?
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
pullgees
How do you mean?
Ophelia

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
pullgees
Sorry I thought you were referring to JRM. Yes, well Clayton, typical of most remainers are short on argument and big on insults...no prizes for guessing why.
tim...
2017-08-03 17:10:33 UTC
Post by pullgees
Post by pullgees
Post by pullgees
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by pullgees
Post by pullgees
[...]
the sadness is that they do have some valid concerns that need addressing

it's just that they litter the field with so many problems that aren't
really problems you can't tell the chaff from the wheat and put th focus on
solving things that really need solving.

tim
kat
2017-08-03 17:35:04 UTC
Post by pullgees
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by pullgees
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by pullgees
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by pullgees
Post by Ophelia
Post by pullgees
we’re
still in the European Union and that is the essence of this
whole
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by pullgees
Post by Ophelia
Post by pullgees
debate."
==
Post by pullgees
toff and fellow old Etonian - Alex Douglas-Home, who was PPS to
Chamberlain during appeasement and later PM for just under a year before
losing to Labour...
You forgot mention Home was a leading voice for us joining the EEC,
therefore not a good comparison to DRM. What you will need to do as
this
man
becomes an opinion leader for Brexit is challenge his case not slur
his
Post by R. Mark Clayton
upbringing, that's purile.
==
What else does he have?
How do you mean?
==
Other than slurs?
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Sorry I thought you were referring to JRM. Yes, well Clayton, typical
of most remainers are short on argument and big on insults...no prizes
for guessing why.
the sadness is that they do have some valid concerns that need addressing
The real sadness is that Leavers can generally see that, while
unfortunately Remainers were blind to the concerns of leavers before the
vote. A little more attention and effort might have meant a different
result.
Post by tim...
it's just that they litter the field with so many problems that aren't
really problems you can't tell the chaff from the wheat and put th focus
on solving things that really need solving.
So, I don't have much sympathy with their moaning!
--
kat
^..^<
R. Mark Clayton
2017-08-03 10:26:59 UTC
SNIP
Post by pullgees
Post by pullgees
He should at least be heading the Brexit team.
Indeed, he would make an excellent scape goat - just like that hopeless toff and fellow old Etonian - AleC Douglas-Home, who was PPS to Chamberlain during appeasement and later PM for just under a year before losing to Labour...
You forgot mention Home was a leading voice for us joining the EEC, therefore not a good comparison to DRM. What you will need to do as this man becomes an opinion leader for Brexit is challenge his case not slur his upbringing, that's purile.
There are plenty (too many?) of old Etonians in government, like Boris and Cameron, who whilst they may have carried on like hooray Henries while at Uni', generally behave and sound pretty normal now.

Rees-Mogg looks like a toff, sounds like a toff and behaves like a toff - these are current attributes, not an inevitable consequence of his upbringing.
James Harris
2017-08-03 11:13:59 UTC
SNIP
Post by pullgees
Post by pullgees
[...]
RM doesn't pretend to be something he is not.
James Harris
R. Mark Clayton
2017-08-03 12:12:51 UTC
Post by James Harris
Post by R. Mark Clayton
SNIP
Post by pullgees
Post by pullgees
[...]
I will grant you that he is unpretentiously pretentious...
Post by James Harris
James Harris
tim...
2017-08-03 14:18:52 UTC
Post by James Harris
Post by R. Mark Clayton
SNIP
Post by pullgees
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by pullgees
[...]
as a BB I agree

but if there really is traction in this idea that he is a prospective PM
candidate, he's stepped over the line

tim
Post by James Harris
James Harris
pullgees
Of course they are, but once again you are trying to shame the concept of being a toff, and in some childish way this enforces you anti Brexit arguments.
AndyW
2017-08-07 06:20:07 UTC
Rees-Mogg looks like a toff, sounds like a toff and behaves like a toff - these are current attributes, not an inevitable consequence of his upbringing.
I have to admire the sheer balls on the man though.
He was an obvious posh boy who stood for election in Central Fife which
was mostly ex mining and ex heavy industry. That was mad enough and I
will give him his dues, he went out and campaigned in a place where the
traditional industries had shut down under the thatcher government.
But to make it even better he knocked on doors and engaged with angry
left-wing scots people (some of the areas still returned communist
councillors).... with his nanny.... in his Merc.

Balls of steel. I am stunned that he survived.

Andy
Ophelia
2017-08-07 06:42:17 UTC
Rees-Mogg looks like a toff, sounds like a toff and behaves like a toff -
these are current attributes, not an inevitable consequence of his
upbringing.
I have to admire the sheer balls on the man though.
He was an obvious posh boy who stood for election in Central Fife which
was mostly ex mining and ex heavy industry. That was mad enough and I
will give him his dues, he went out and campaigned in a place where the
traditional industries had shut down under the thatcher government.
But to make it even better he knocked on doors and engaged with angry
left-wing scots people (some of the areas still returned communist
councillors).... with his nanny.... in his Merc.

Balls of steel. I am stunned that he survived.

Andy

==

LOL I didn't know that:)) I like him.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Norman Wells
2017-08-07 08:02:31 UTC
Post by AndyW
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Rees-Mogg looks like a toff, sounds like a toff and behaves like a toff -
these are current attributes, not an inevitable consequence of his
upbringing.
I have to admire the sheer balls on the man though.
He was an obvious posh boy who stood for election in Central Fife which
was mostly ex mining and ex heavy industry. That was mad enough and I
will give him his dues, he went out and campaigned in a place where the
traditional industries had shut down under the thatcher government.
But to make it even better he knocked on doors and engaged with angry
left-wing scots people (some of the areas still returned communist
councillors).... with his nanny.... in his Merc.
Balls of steel. I am stunned that he survived.
You have to admire him though. According to Wikipedia:

"However, rumours that he had toured the constituency in a Bentley were
described as "scurrilous" − he insisted it had been a Mercedes."

Anyway, isn't he now the Member of Parliament for 1923?
James Harris
2017-08-07 08:59:17 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by AndyW
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Rees-Mogg looks like a toff, sounds like a toff and behaves like a toff -
these are current attributes, not an inevitable consequence of his
upbringing.
I have to admire the sheer balls on the man though.
He was an obvious posh boy who stood for election in Central Fife which
was mostly ex mining and ex heavy industry. That was mad enough and I
will give him his dues, he went out and campaigned in a place where the
traditional industries had shut down under the thatcher government.
But to make it even better he knocked on doors and engaged with angry
left-wing scots people (some of the areas still returned communist
councillors).... with his nanny.... in his Merc.
Balls of steel. I am stunned that he survived.
Andy
LOL I didn't know that:))
I hadn't heard that, either. I don't know how true it is but the key
parts seem feasible and in accord with something important about
Rees-Mogg: a belief that politics should be according to reasoning, not
defined by tribe.

If he believed a Tory government would do more for ex miners than Labour
then I could imagine him making that case. He wouldn't feel the need to
become an ex miner himself in order to do so! When interviewed, his
comments are often more relevant to the lives of normal people than
those of the Islington socialist set. He doesn't have to pretend to be
anything in particular in order to say what he believes. Facts and
reasoning need no cultural appropriation.
Post by Ophelia
I like him.
Lots of people do. Of various backgrounds. RM seems to reach across the
divide. And that, in itself, is unusual in politics.
James Harris
tim...
2017-08-07 10:12:54 UTC
Post by James Harris
Lots of people do. Of various backgrounds. RM seems to reach across the
divide. And that, in itself, is unusual in politics.
cos no-one sees him as a threat

no-one saw Jim Hacker as a threat either

2017-08-07 12:50:15 UTC
Post by Ophelia

Post by Ophelia
I like him.
Lots of people do. Of various backgrounds. RM seems to reach across the
divide. And that, in itself, is unusual in politics.

James Harris

==

Yes it is:) There is an action afoot to get him put up for PM:)) I
wouldn't fight that! At least he is honest:))
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
AndyW
2017-08-08 06:03:30 UTC
Post by James Harris
Post by Ophelia
Post by AndyW
Post by R. Mark Clayton
[...]
It is all verifiable online.
I live next to the Central Fife (now Glenrothes) constituency and there
are places there with street names like "Gagarin Way", the area was
known as little Moscow and returned a communist MP in the 50s and still
had communist councillors into this century.
Into this place came Rees Mogg but he campaigned and won a few people over.
Some guy.
Post by Ophelia
I like him.
Lots of people do. Of various backgrounds. RM seems to reach across the
divide. And that, in itself, is unusual in politics.
I quite like him, he is refreshingly candid for a politician.

Andy
Ophelia
2017-08-08 08:39:57 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by Ophelia
I like him.
Lots of people do. Of various backgrounds. RM seems to reach across the
divide. And that, in itself, is unusual in politics.
I quite like him, he is refreshingly candid for a politician.

Andy

==

He is and it makes a lovely change as you say. He never uses waffle and I
like his honesty.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
tim...
2017-08-07 10:11:25 UTC
Post by AndyW
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Rees-Mogg looks like a toff, sounds like a toff and behaves like a toff -
these are current attributes, not an inevitable consequence of his
upbringing.
I have to admire the sheer balls on the man though.
He was an obvious posh boy who stood for election in Central Fife which
was mostly ex mining and ex heavy industry. That was mad enough and I
will give him his dues, he went out and campaigned in a place where the
traditional industries had shut down under the thatcher government.
But to make it even better he knocked on doors and engaged with angry
left-wing scots people (some of the areas still returned communist
councillors).... with his nanny.... in his Merc.
Balls of steel. I am stunned that he survived.
Andy
==
LOL I didn't know that:)) I like him.
yes, provided that he stays on the back benches, his eccentricity has to be
an advantage

but should he every aspire to a top job it will be a huge hindrance

2017-08-07 12:52:30 UTC
Post by AndyW
Post by R. Mark Clayton
[...]

Why? Because he is straight down the line and is truthful???

Oh yes, we can't have that .. can we??
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
tim...
2017-08-07 13:55:30 UTC
Post by AndyW
Post by R. Mark Clayton
[...]
because I'm not convinced that he isn't hiding something

2017-08-07 14:44:20 UTC
Post by AndyW
Post by R. Mark Clayton
[...]

I leave you with your suspicions:))
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
pullgees
Care to elaborate?
tim...
2017-08-03 12:00:23 UTC
Post by pullgees
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by pullgees
Post by pullgees
[...]
But even as a leaver, I cannot subscribe to the theory that "having the ECJ
as the court of last resort in trade and scientific cooperation disputes" is
"having the ECJ making our laws".

It is clear that there needs to be some mechanism for resolving these issue
and making it "not being the ECJ" a red line, is just holding things up (and
risking a no deal situation) for pure ideology.

The pragmatic approach is to say OK (to the ECJ) and then expending your
energy into making sure that the actual rules of the cooperation are more in
your favour that you might otherwise have manage to get (and walking away
from that specific area of co-operation, if they aren't).

2017-08-03 12:15:02 UTC
Post by pullgees
Post by R. Mark Clayton
Post by pullgees
Post by pullgees
[...]
Indeed - many international agreements are subject to adjudication in the UK courts even though neither party is British. R-M is just being a little Englander.
tim
pullgees
How facile. More likely the little Europeans in their protective zone he abhors.
JNugent
2017-08-02 23:32:15 UTC
Post by pullgees
Post by pullgees
[...]
Alec (rather than Alex), I think.

And he only JUST lost to Labour, despite the 1964 predictions of a
Wislon landslide. Majority of 4, IIRC.