7 Killed in Australian Mass Shooting
2018-05-12 10:30:06 UTC
What happening to the tough gun laws...

7 Killed in Australian Mass Shooting

Seven people were killed in a shooting in Western Australia on Friday.

Someone in Osmington, Australia, a small village near the town of Margaret
River, murdered seven members of the same family. Police responded to a call
about the shooting around dawn. They found three generations of the same
family killed and recovered two firearms from the scene.

"Police are currently responding to what I can only describe as a horrific
incident," Western Australia state police commissioner Chris Dawson told the
Associated Press. "This devastating tragedy will no doubt have a lasting
impact on the families concerned, the whole community and, in particular,
the local communities in our southwest."

The police said that four children and three adults were among those
murdered.

"It appears that gunshot wounds are there, but I don't want to go further
than that," Dawson told the BBC. "The loss of any life is tragic, but four
children and three adults-this is a significant tragedy."

Australia effectively banned the ownership of most firearms for most people
in the wake of a 1996 shooting in Port Arthur. The ban was enforced through
a gun confiscation scheme that included a mandatory buyback program.

The country's gun ban has been hailed by many gun-control activists in the
United States and around the world as a template for preventing mass
shootings and gun violence. Former President Barack Obama praised the gun
ban in 2015 while bemoaning the fact that he hadn't been able to pass the
gun-control policies he had wanted to at that point in his presidency.

"When Australia had a mass killing-I think it was in Tasmania-about 25 years
ago, it was just so shocking the entire country said, 'Well, we're going to
completely change our gun laws,' and they did," he told comedian Marc Maron
during a podcast taping. "And it hasn't happened since."

The country had just seen a mass shooting-where four or more people were
murdered-a year earlier after a man murdered his wife and three kids when
Obama made those comments. The country was also in the midst of a spike in
gun crime at the time.

Hillary Clinton also expressed support for Australia's mandatory buyback
system during her 2016 campaign before a spokesperson quickly walked it
back. Most recently Democratic representative Eric Swalwell (Calif.) penned
an op-ed calling for a gun confiscation scheme similar to Australia's in the
United States.

Gun murder after Australia's ban decreased at nearly the same rate as in the
United States, which did not institute a gun ban, and other violent crimes
saw an increase. The effectiveness of the country's gun ban remains a heated
debate as does the idea that the United States should adopt a similar gun
ban.

Police have not yet released information on the Osmington shooter and did
not speculate on the motives for the killings.
Oh? I thought gun control fixed all that? Huh?
harry
2018-05-13 07:59:34 UTC
Post by T
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
The gun nuts will try to keep their guns.
It will take years to recover them.
BurfordTJustice
2018-05-13 11:30:28 UTC
"harry" <***@gmail.com> wrote in message news:7635bea6-c087-4f3b-9eb6-***@googlegroups.com...
: On Saturday, 12 May 2018 20:36:39 UTC+1, T wrote:
: > On 05/12/2018 03:30 AM, BurfordTJustice wrote:
: > > What happening to the tough gun laws...
: > >
[...]
: >
: > Oh? I thought gun control fixed all that? Huh?
:
FMurtz
2018-05-13 09:08:00 UTC
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
I hope it stops the incessant "THERE HAS BEEN NO MASS SHOOTINGS SINCE
THE BUYBACK" waffle.
2018-05-13 20:03:20 UTC
Post by FMurtz
I hope it stops the incessant "THERE HAS BEEN NO MASS SHOOTINGS SINCE
THE BUYBACK" waffle.
Humans can be expected to act like humans wherever
the live. In my country (USA), *ALL* the mass shootings
are in gun free zones. If you act like sheep, the
wolves will come. Statistics clearly show the more
guns the less crime.

Here is more data than you ever wanted to know:
https://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp

BurfordTJustice