Deferred Redundancy Question
Talby
2004-08-29 12:16:08 UTC
Hi,

I currently work for a large oil company in one of the IT departments, and
my job is being offshored to India this year
(we're currently going through "knowledge transfer" to them - but that
fiasco is another story ...). I'm due to be made
redundant along with about 80 other people later this year.

The company wants one person from each team in the department to stay on for
another 6 months to help with the transition.
I've indicated an interest in this role but I do still want the redundancy
money. But what's to stop them going back on their
word and not make me redundant when the time arrives (eg. if things are
going badly, which I think they will) ? HR have
indicated they're willing to guarantee my exit by writing an email
confirming that I will be made redundant on a particular
amateurish to me .... (The company have indicated
that they do not wish to give people a different notice period other than
the default of 90 days).

Does anyone else have any views or advice or thoughts on this method of
deferring redundancy ?

Thanks in advance,

Talby
John
2004-08-29 13:40:23 UTC
Post by Talby
[...]
We are in a similar situation

We were all given 3 months notsic at end of July and our jobs are moving to
a new compnay 250 miles away.

The new compnay have yet to convert a business unit into a suitable location
fo rthat nature of the work. We have been aproached and have asked for
certain things to be put in writing before we agree to stay an extra month.
Our fear is that this ne company may pull out and in effect , all staff are
then ona rolling contract,

We demanded a new redundnacy letter with a specific date of unemployment ,
guaranteed bonuses for retaining our skills (uniquely skilled servcie with a
multinational) and guaranteed good leavers bonus of 20%.

The real important thing is the letter of reduindnacy with a specific date.
Once you ahve this , if they want you to stay , then you have the upper hand
in negotiating the oither pointd.

Remember though , they are not obliged to make you redundant and until you
have your letter , assume you are not.
Colin Wilson
2004-08-29 20:56:07 UTC
Post by Talby
The company wants one person from each team in the department to stay on for
another 6 months to help with the transition.
I've indicated an interest in this role but I do still want the redundancy
money.
IANAL

Ask to be made redundant at the same time as everyone else, and you can
are less ties on them terminating the consultancy contract.