Misplayed Brexit hands #5: I like New Zealand lamb
pamela
2018-07-08 10:04:16 UTC
Whatever happened to the claims that we will buy cheap farm produce
from New Zealand and Australia because we're on such good terms with
them and they would never ever, no not ever, sign up a trade agreement
with the EU rather than us?

I mean, we love New Zealand lamb and its much better than all the food
put together from the EU.
BurfordTJustice
2018-07-08 11:29:36 UTC
How about just buy British?

"pamela" <***@gmail.com> wrote in message
: Whatever happened to the claims that we will buy cheap farm produce
: from New Zealand and Australia because we're on such good terms with
: them and they would never ever, no not ever, sign up a trade agreement
: with the EU rather than us?
:
: I mean, we love New Zealand lamb and its much better than all the food
: put together from the EU.
R. Mark Clayton
2018-07-08 15:03:30 UTC
On Sunday, 8 July 2018 12:29:49 UTC+1, BurfordTJustice wrote:
> How about just buy British?

In the case of lamb, Welsh spring lamb is way too fatty, rather bland meat and ridiculously over-priced. New Zealand lamb by contrast is lean, flavoursome and even after tariffs much more affordable. You can of course buy grass fed English lamb, e.g. Herdwick, but the price will make you weep.

Norman Wells
2018-07-08 16:23:13 UTC
On 08/07/2018 16:03, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> On Sunday, 8 July 2018 12:29:49 UTC+1, BurfordTJustice wrote:

>> How about just buy British?
>
> In the case of lamb, Welsh spring lamb is way too fatty, rather bland meat and ridiculously over-priced. New Zealand lamb by contrast is lean, flavoursome and even after tariffs much more affordable. You can of course buy grass fed English lamb, e.g. Herdwick, but the price will make you weep.

So, when we are allowed to import it tariff free, New Zealand lamb will
be even cheaper and better value.

Another good reason to leave the EU then. Thanks for that!
pensive hamster
2018-07-08 17:10:51 UTC
On Sunday, 8 July 2018 17:23:13 UTC+1, Norman Wells wrote:
> On 08/07/2018 16:03, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> > On Sunday, 8 July 2018 12:29:49 UTC+1, BurfordTJustice wrote:
>
> >> How about just buy British?
> >
> > In the case of lamb, Welsh spring lamb is way too fatty, rather bland meat and ridiculously over-priced. New Zealand lamb by contrast is lean, flavoursome and even after tariffs much more affordable. You can of course buy grass fed English lamb, e.g. Herdwick, but the price will make you weep.
>
> So, when we are allowed to import it tariff free, New Zealand lamb will
> be even cheaper and better value.

As far as I can work out, New Zealand lamb is already largely
or entirely tariff free:

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/business/307229/brexit-nz-beef-up,-or-sacrificial-lamb
'... New Zealand has a quota of 280,000 tonnes of sheep meat
access to the EU which comes tariff free - with half of that being
taken into the UK.
------------------------------------
http://beefandlambmatters.blogspot.com/2013/07/why-uk-imports-lamb-from-new-zealand.html
'While the UK is technically self sufficient in sheep meat, we
continue to import large quantities, primarily from New Zealand.

'In 2012, for example, the UK imported 86,100 tonnes product
weight of sheep meat, 73 per cent of which came from New
Zealand. During the same period the UK exported 94,700 tonnes.

'A question we’re often asked though is, ‘if we’re self sufficient,
why does the UK import so much sheep meat?’ The reasons
are numerous and complex but can broadly split into four areas
– historic, market, seasonal and economic. ...'

------------------------------------

So it looks as though our lamb imports may be within the
tariff free quota, going by the above figures (with the proviso
that the two reports are 3 years apart).

Unless most of the "sheep meat" imported is elderly mutton
for dog food, but it doesn't seem to make much sense for
NZ farmers to do that, if they could get more for their lamb.

BurfordTJustice
2018-07-08 20:04:50 UTC

BurfordTJustice
BurfordTJustice
2018-07-08 17:11:23 UTC

Fredxx
2018-07-09 16:13:15 UTC
On 08/07/2018 11:04, pamela wrote:

<snip crap>

Have you considered posting a legal question or provided any true
assistance?
pamela
2018-07-09 16:49:34 UTC
On 17:13 9 Jul 2018, Fredxx wrote:

> fOn 08/07/2018 11:04, pamela wrote:
>
> <snip crap>
>
> Have you considered posting a legal question or provided any true
> assistance?

Fredxx, how did your friend get along after he seemed to have been told
falsely of a company he was dealing with in liquidation. I gave you
the details but I am not sure if you understood because when I asked
you about it you had nothing to say.

Do you have any further information on what happened?

Database (slave) 0.002580 s
44.2031 kB
Benchmark Min Max Average Total
SELECT `lang` FROM `newsgroup` WHERE `newsgroup_url` = 'uk.legal' (4)
0.000129 s
0.000228 s
0.000161 s
0.000646 s
2.2344 kB
2.3672 kB
2.2676 kB
9.0703 kB
SELECT `code`, `name` FROM `lang` WHERE `code` = 'en' (3)
0.000113 s
0.000154 s
0.000128 s
0.000383 s
2.4141 kB
2.4141 kB
2.4141 kB
7.2422 kB
SELECT * FROM `lang` WHERE `code` = 'en' (1)
0.000200 s
0.000200 s
0.000200 s
0.000200 s
12.5313 kB
12.5313 kB
12.5313 kB
12.5313 kB
SELECT * FROM `thread` WHERE `hash` = '91Gt1RuS' (1)
0.000184 s
0.000184 s
0.000184 s
0.000184 s
4.2500 kB
4.2500 kB
4.2500 kB
4.2500 kB
SELECT * FROM `newsgroup` WHERE `newsgroup_id` = '28820' (1)
0.000187 s
0.000187 s
0.000187 s
0.000187 s
5.8047 kB
5.8047 kB
5.8047 kB
5.8047 kB
SELECT * FROM `temp_simthread` WHERE `hash` = '91Gt1RuS' (1)
0.000488 s
0.000488 s
0.000488 s
0.000488 s
2.6563 kB
2.6563 kB
2.6563 kB
2.6563 kB
SELECT text_res, img_res, manual FROM porndetect WHERE hash = '91Gt1RuS' AND page = 1 (1)
0.000492 s
0.000492 s
0.000492 s
0.000492 s
2.6484 kB
2.6484 kB
2.6484 kB
2.6484 kB
Kohana 0.003625 s
60.4609 kB
Benchmark Min Max Average Total
find_file (94)
0.000001 s
0.000120 s
0.000039 s
0.003625 s
0.5234 kB
2.1563 kB
0.6432 kB
60.4609 kB
Requests 0.023733 s
600.6172 kB
Benchmark Min Max Average Total
"91Gt1RuS/misplayed-brexit-hands-5-i-like-new-zealand-lamb" (1)
0.024520 s
0.024520 s
0.024520 s
0.024520 s
628.6328 kB
628.6328 kB
628.6328 kB
628.6328 kB
Thread controller 0.000677 s
28.3906 kB
Benchmark Min Max Average Total
Init (1)
0.000677 s
0.000677 s
0.000677 s
0.000677 s
28.3906 kB
28.3906 kB
28.3906 kB
28.3906 kB
Thread parsing 0.012037 s
144.6484 kB
Benchmark Min Max Average Total
Other (3)
0.000006 s
0.002234 s
0.001357 s
0.004072 s
0.3672 kB
55.7109 kB
27.2005 kB
81.6016 kB
PHP Post Parsing (1)
0.002064 s
0.002064 s
0.002064 s
0.002064 s
49.5313 kB
49.5313 kB
49.5313 kB
49.5313 kB
C++ Post Parsing (1)
0.005762 s
0.005762 s
0.005762 s
0.005762 s
2.3672 kB
2.3672 kB
2.3672 kB
2.3672 kB
Three (1)
0.000139 s
0.000139 s
0.000139 s
0.000139 s
11.1484 kB
11.1484 kB
11.1484 kB
11.1484 kB
Load & uncompress 0.001725 s
22.6094 kB
Benchmark Min Max Average Total
load_thread (1)
0.001725 s
0.001725 s
0.001725 s
0.001725 s
22.6094 kB
22.6094 kB
22.6094 kB
22.6094 kB
Application Execution (773) 0.019208 s 0.130262 s 0.037727 s 0.032904 s
1,111.5547 kB 3,143.3672 kB 1,331.0588 kB 1,250.3203 kB