iq is taught...not genetic..."IQs have started to fall by seven points per generation"
abelard
2018-06-12 10:23:53 UTC
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5832789/Young-people-really-getting-stupid-IQs-falling-seven-points-generation.html

teachers wages should be cut
--
www.abelard.org
johnny-knowall
2018-06-12 10:56:39 UTC
Post by abelard
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5832789/Young-people-really-get
ting-stupid-IQs-falling-seven-points-generation.html
teachers wages should be cut
I don’t believe this about IQ being taught.

We took IQ tests at primary school in the early 1960s. These were before we
sat the 11+ so we could only have been aged 10.

I found the tests quite fun to do, because they were either sequences or
filling in blanks in sentences with a choice of words, or thought provoking
algebraic questions. There were no memory or learning questions which I hated
because I couldn’t remember stuff at all.

Apparently, I scored so highly that my parents received a letter of
congratulations from the Director Of Education for the county.

Most kids hated doing this test, and there was no way the school could have
taught us how to get better marks, it was just a natural thing. You either
had it, or you didn’t.
GB
2018-06-12 11:00:37 UTC
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by abelard
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5832789/Young-people-really-get
ting-stupid-IQs-falling-seven-points-generation.html
teachers wages should be cut
I don’t believe this about IQ being taught.
As usual, the DM makes a political point that has no relationship to the
facts - ie the DM is lying again.

"Because children attend school longer now and have become much more
familiar with the testing of school-related material, one might expect
the greatest gains to occur on such school content-related tests [of IQ]
as vocabulary, arithmetic or general information. Just the opposite is
the case: abilities such as these have experienced relatively small
gains and even occasional decreases over the years."

From WP article about the Flynn Effect.
abelard
2018-06-12 11:08:54 UTC
Post by GB
Post by abelard
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5832789/Young-people-really-get
ting-stupid-IQs-falling-seven-points-generation.html
teachers wages should be cut
I don’t believe this about IQ being taught.
As usual, the DM makes a political point that has no relationship to the
facts - ie the DM is lying again.
"Because children attend school longer now and have become much more
familiar with the testing of school-related material, one might expect
the greatest gains to occur on such school content-related tests [of IQ]
as vocabulary, arithmetic or general information. Just the opposite is
the case: abilities such as these have experienced relatively small
gains and even occasional decreases over the years."
From WP article about the Flynn Effect.
it would improve your post if you posted your source
www.abelard.org
GB
2018-06-12 11:32:30 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by GB
From WP article about the Flynn Effect.
it would improve your post if you posted your source
I guess you have caught me out there.
johnny-knowall
2018-06-12 11:44:48 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by GB
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by abelard
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5832789/Young-people-really
-get
ting-stupid-IQs-falling-seven-points-generation.html
teachers wages should be cut
I don’t believe this about IQ being taught.
As usual, the DM makes a political point that has no relationship to the
facts - ie the DM is lying again.
"Because children attend school longer now and have become much more
familiar with the testing of school-related material, one might expect
the greatest gains to occur on such school content-related tests [of IQ]
as vocabulary, arithmetic or general information. Just the opposite is
the case: abilities such as these have experienced relatively small
gains and even occasional decreases over the years."
From WP article about the Flynn Effect.
it would improve your post if you posted your source
Says the dumb poster who never posts sources, except ones which promote his
own website.
abelard
www.abelard.org
R. Mark Clayton
Children can be trained to do intelligence tests to a certain extent. As with any test a little practice will improve performance, however stuff I read in the past indicated that about the best that could be achieved by this was an improvement of ~7%.
kat
2018-06-12 16:16:13 UTC
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by abelard
[...]
Certainly I remember being trained to take the exam. Not on how to answer the
questions, but how to approach the paper - if you can't do a question move on to
the next. A child who knows exam technique will tend to do better than those
who don't.
--
kat
^..^<
abelard
2018-06-12 11:04:05 UTC
Post by abelard
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5832789/Young-people-really-get
ting-stupid-IQs-falling-seven-points-generation.html
teachers wages should be cut
I don’t believe this about IQ being taught.
then you lack sufficient information

read this and improve your situation
https://www.abelard.org/iqedfran/iqedfran.htm
We took IQ tests at primary school in the early 1960s. These were before we
sat the 11+ so we could only have been aged 10.
I found the tests quite fun to do, because they were either sequences or
filling in blanks in sentences with a choice of words, or thought provoking
algebraic questions. There were no memory or learning questions which I hated
because I couldn’t remember stuff at all.
Apparently, I scored so highly that my parents received a letter of
congratulations from the Director Of Education for the county.
Most kids hated doing this test, and there was no way the school could have
taught us how to get better marks, it was just a natural thing. You either
had it, or you didn’t.
memory is extraordinarily unreliable, it is also complex in itself
www.abelard.org
johnny-knowall
2018-06-12 11:42:41 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by johnny-knowall
We took IQ tests at primary school in the early 1960s. These were before we
sat the 11+ so we could only have been aged 10.
I found the tests quite fun to do, because they were either sequences or
filling in blanks in sentences with a choice of words, or thought provoking
algebraic questions. There were no memory or learning questions which I hated
because I couldn’t remember stuff at all.
Apparently, I scored so highly that my parents received a letter of
congratulations from the Director Of Education for the county.
Most kids hated doing this test, and there was no way the school could have
taught us how to get better marks, it was just a natural thing. You either
had it, or you didn’t.
memory is extraordinarily unreliable, it is also complex in itself
There was no memory involved in the test that week took. If there had been, I
would have been rubbish at them.
abelard
2018-06-12 11:44:18 UTC
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by abelard
Post by abelard
[...]
nonsense...you remembered how to write...
you remembered your letters

and much else
www.abelard.org
johnny-knowall
2018-06-12 11:55:52 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by abelard
Post by johnny-knowall
[...]
I’m afraid your blinkered and bigoted mind fails to understand anything
about these tests, which you obviously have never taken.

Or, you failed miserably and have deliberately forgotten about.
abelard
2018-06-12 12:08:50 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by abelard
Post by abelard
[...]
i have taken more of them than you have even heard of..
i have also administered them to several hundred people
of all ages...

i have stripped them down in detail and read just about
everything on the subject going back to the mid 19th
century

yet again you are posturing from your own ignorance
www.abelard.org
Dan S. MacAbre
2018-06-12 11:32:07 UTC
Post by abelard
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5832789/Young-people-really-getting-stupid-IQs-falling-seven-points-generation.html
teachers wages should be cut
I did one of those online tests recently, and it informed me that I had
a satisfyingly high IQ. I doubt that it is the result of teaching,
since (being something of a daydreamer) I payed hardly any attention at
school. I also doubt that it is inherited, since both mum and dad are
of decidedly average intelligence (although it would help if dad could
be bothered to read a book from time to time). Actually, I expect the
test was flawed - it seemed to be quite simple, with an emphasis on
completing it quickly, and I much prefer to have time to think about
things. :-)

For a laugh, I once tried the online Mensa test, but it responded with
an email asking for some money, so I'm not sure that it was entirely
objective :-)
abelard
2018-06-12 11:40:00 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
[...]
1)sources don't make money by telling you that you're thick
2)much school is boring and children see it as irrelevant..to
stop paying attention is a natural and intelligent response
within the context of child's mind
3)understanding of inheritance of so-called iq is highly primitive
www.abelard.org
Dan S. MacAbre
2018-06-12 11:50:12 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
[...]
Was also my own assumption :-)
Post by abelard
2)much school is boring and children see it as irrelevant..to
stop paying attention is a natural and intelligent response
within the context of child's mind
3)understanding of inheritance of so-called iq is highly primitive
Has anyone identified any physical characteristics that might result in
a high IQ? If so, then I could believe that it can be inherited. My
own guess is that what is known as intelligence comes from an absence of
(or isolation from) other kinds of stimulation.

MICKEY & SYLVIA - LOVE WILL MAKE YOU FAIL IN SCHOOL

abelard
2018-06-12 12:00:28 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by abelard
2)much school is boring and children see it as irrelevant..to
stop paying attention is a natural and intelligent response
within the context of child's mind
3)understanding of inheritance of so-called iq is highly primitive
Has anyone identified any physical characteristics that might result in
a high IQ? If so, then I could believe that it can be inherited. My
own guess is that what is known as intelligence comes from an absence of
(or isolation from) other kinds of stimulation.
iq is positively correlated to just about every trait regarded as
positive by society...eg, height, honesty, diet...
and on and on
[correlation is not causation]

isolation from isolation is a bit too negative for me to
satisfactorily parse...

certainly isolation can bring on all manner dysfunction...
eg look up rumanian orphanages etc...and vast
amounts of related data
http://youtu.be/bBA0DbpTHP4
www.abelard.org
johnny-knowall
2018-06-12 12:02:08 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by abelard
2)much school is boring and children see it as irrelevant..to
stop paying attention is a natural and intelligent response
within the context of child's mind
3)understanding of inheritance of so-called iq is highly primitive
Has anyone identified any physical characteristics that might result in
a high IQ?
A number of egotistical men seem to believe growing a beard will make them
appear to have a high IQ.
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
If so, then I could believe that it can be inherited.
So do Mensa, which is why they like to recruit folk who will meet others of
the opposite sex within the organisation and eventually create the master
race.

Or at least, that is how some of their members came over to me.
Basil Jet
2018-06-12 12:55:07 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5832789/Young-people-really-getting-stupid-IQs-falling-seven-points-generation.html
teachers wages should be cut
I did one of those online tests recently, and it informed me that I had
a satisfyingly high IQ.  I doubt that it is the result of teaching,
since (being something of a daydreamer) I payed hardly any attention at
school.  I also doubt that it is inherited, since both mum and dad are
of decidedly average intelligence (although it would help if dad could
be bothered to read a book from time to time).  Actually, I expect the
test was flawed - it seemed to be quite simple, with an emphasis on
completing it quickly, and I much prefer to have time to think about
things. :-)
The test was probably click-bait. If it said your IQ was 50, you
wouldn't email your friends about it, so it says your IQ is 150. (This
is not a comment on your personal IQ.)
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
For a laugh, I once tried the online Mensa test, but it responded with
an email asking for some money, so I'm not sure that it was entirely
objective :-)
Which shows that they are smart, and you are smarter!
--
Basil Jet - listening to music from 1981(G-Q) ... Gang Of Four - Gary
Numan - Glenn Branca - Grace Jones - Heaven 17 - Holger Czukay - Japan -
Schaumburg - Public Image Ltd - Pulp
Dan S. MacAbre
2018-06-12 13:02:25 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
[...]
Someone here linked to it a few months ago in a post. I can't remember
where it was, but the responses in the thread weren't dismissive. But
it did seem easy (mostly to do with number series, and pattern matching,
as I remember), so I'm not going to get too excited :-)
PaxPerPoten
2018-06-13 06:24:23 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
[...]
The first inkling of useful intelligence is when you DID NOT send those
stuffed shirts at MENSA your hard earned money.
ages who mean to govern well, but *They mean to govern*. They promise to
be good masters, *but they mean to be masters*. Daniel Webster
a322x1n
2018-06-12 13:47:35 UTC
Post by abelard
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5832789/Young-people-rea
lly-getting-stupid-IQs-falling-seven-points-generation.html
Teachers wages should be cut.
Strange how fiction like "Idiocracy" comes true:

<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/>
Gunner Asch
2018-06-12 15:28:18 UTC
[...]
The subject line - all of it - is a lie.
WTF?! Of *COURSE* the AR-15 is an assault rifle!
DoD
2018-06-12 15:30:29 UTC
Post by abelard
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5832789/Young-people-really-getting-stupid-IQs-falling-seven-points-generation.html
teachers wages should be cut
I am to the point where I believe in well over 50 percent of the time,
sending your kids to a public
school here, (and even a lot of private schools anymore), is pretty much
child abuse...
--
"Now that I've been free,
I know what a dreadful condition

I've seen black liberals go conservative,
but never seen a black conservative go
liberal.

Candace Owens
abelard
www.abelard.org
Byker
2018-06-12 15:50:18 UTC
Post by abelard
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5832789/Young-people-really-getting-stupid-IQs-falling-seven-points-generation.html
What happens when school curricula is dumbed-down to make minorities "feel
good about themselves"...
PaxPerPoten
2018-06-13 06:22:35 UTC
Post by abelard
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5832789/Young-people-really-getting-stupid-IQs-falling-seven-points-generation.html
teachers wages should be cut
Maybe replaced with real teachers!
abelard
2018-06-13 07:50:44 UTC
Post by PaxPerPoten
Post by abelard
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5832789/Young-people-really-getting-stupid-IQs-falling-seven-points-generation.html
teachers wages should be cut
Maybe replaced with real teachers!
not an easy task at this stage of human undevelopment
www.abelard.org
Byker
But the LGHTers are trying like hell: https://tinyurl.com/y8ynvjmb
#BeamMeUpScotty
2018-06-13 16:08:31 UTC
Post by PaxPerPoten
Post by abelard
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5832789/Young-people-really-getting-stupid-IQs-falling-seven-points-generation.html
teachers wages should be cut
Maybe replaced with real teachers!
Cut the number of administrators and hire more teachers....
--
That's Karma