MEPs Vote Against the UK's National Interest
2017-10-06 12:59:24 UTC
Just been watching The Daily Politics and Friday is always EU day.

Seems there has been a vote in the EU Parliament to decide if trade
talks between the UK and the EU should be delayed. The guest in the
studio, Labour MEP Mary Honeyball said she abstained along with other
Labour MEPs, while 2 Tory MEPs voted in favour of the motion to delay
the talks.

Seems these MEPs are South West MEP Julie Girling and South East MEP
Richard Ashworth.

<Gob smacked>
tim...
2017-10-06 13:58:37 UTC
Just been watching The Daily Politics and Friday is always EU day.
Seems there has been a vote in the EU Parliament to decide if trade
talks between the UK and the EU should be delayed. The guest in the
studio, Labour MEP Mary Honeyball said she abstained along with other
Labour MEPs, while 2 Tory MEPs voted in favour of the motion to delay
the talks.
Seems these MEPs are South West MEP Julie Girling and South East MEP
Richard Ashworth.
Did you understand all that guff about the agricultural tariff rate quotas
agreement?

The WTO's arguments make no sense to me.

If the bleeding obvious way that has been suggested to resolve this isn't
advantageous to them (and they apparently have a veto if they don't like
it), why is this out fault?

If the bleeding obvious way isn't the right way, perhaps they would like to
tell us what is the correct way to do it, not bleat on about how we are not
complying with the rules.

tim
James Harris
2017-10-06 15:02:02 UTC
Just been watching The Daily Politics and Friday is always EU day.
Seems there has been a vote in the EU Parliament to decide if trade
talks between the UK and the EU should be delayed. The guest in the
studio, Labour MEP Mary Honeyball said she abstained along with other
Labour MEPs, while 2 Tory MEPs voted in favour of the motion to delay
the talks.
Seems these MEPs are South West MEP Julie Girling and South East MEP
Richard Ashworth.
Did you understand all that guff about the agricultural tariff rate quotas
agreement?
The WTO's arguments make no sense to me.
Nor me. I get that the UK and the EU were not at liberty to agree how to
split the quotas without agreeing it at WTO level (naughty, naughty) but
I am not clear as to what else the WTO nations would want changed.
James Harris
Yellow
2017-10-06 18:18:09 UTC
On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 16:02:02 +0100, James Harris <james.harris.1
Post by James Harris
Just been watching The Daily Politics and Friday is always EU day.
Seems there has been a vote in the EU Parliament to decide if trade
talks between the UK and the EU should be delayed. The guest in the
studio, Labour MEP Mary Honeyball said she abstained along with other
Labour MEPs, while 2 Tory MEPs voted in favour of the motion to delay
the talks.
Seems these MEPs are South West MEP Julie Girling and South East MEP
Richard Ashworth.
Did you understand all that guff about the agricultural tariff rate quotas
agreement?
The WTO's arguments make no sense to me.
Nor me. I get that the UK and the EU were not at liberty to agree how to
split the quotas without agreeing it at WTO level (naughty, naughty) but
I am not clear as to what else the WTO nations would want changed.
Ah, OK. That was what Tim meant - that the WTO have to agree to what is
decided.

But in any case, I just assumed the UK would start all this sort of
thing, not that I knew "agricultural tariff rate quotas" even existed,
from scratch. Splitting the current agreements with the EU seemed overly
complex, shall we say.
MM
2017-10-07 09:13:59 UTC
But in any case, I just assumed the UK would start all this sort of
thing, not that I knew "agricultural tariff rate quotas" even existed,
from scratch. Splitting the current agreements with the EU seemed overly
complex, shall we say.
Are you sorry now that you helped Britain into this Pan's Labyrinth of
Brexit? What a pity (for Britain) that you didn't foresee any
problems.

MM
Yellow
2017-10-06 18:14:58 UTC
Just been watching The Daily Politics and Friday is always EU day.
Seems there has been a vote in the EU Parliament to decide if trade
talks between the UK and the EU should be delayed. The guest in the
studio, Labour MEP Mary Honeyball said she abstained along with other
Labour MEPs, while 2 Tory MEPs voted in favour of the motion to delay
the talks.
Seems these MEPs are South West MEP Julie Girling and South East MEP
Richard Ashworth.
Did you understand all that guff about the agricultural tariff rate quotas
agreement?
I understood what they were saying, yes. At least I think I did.

The EU allowed so much food to me imported from countries outside the EU
tariff free and when that is reached a tariff is applied to make it
unprofitable for the non-EU country to export further.

And it was described in the studio as an example of EU protectionist
behaviour, to protect farmers, at the expense of consumers who end up
playing more for good than they otherwise would.
Post by tim...
The WTO's arguments make no sense to me.
Which bit was that?
Post by tim...
If the bleeding obvious way that has been suggested to resolve this isn't
advantageous to them (and they apparently have a veto if they don't like
it), why is this out fault?
Are you talking about the way they were discussing splitting this quota?

This, if I understood correctly meant, the UK would keep this
arrangement, of accepting a certain amount of food tariff free.

I could not see how this could be in the interest of the non-EU
countries and I was also left unclear why the UK would want this
arrangement anyway.
Post by tim...
If the bleeding obvious way isn't the right way, perhaps they would like to
tell us what is the correct way to do it, not bleat on about how we are not
complying with the rules.
It was quite interesting what the New Zealand guy said though, that
removing tariffs has improved their trade significantly.
Ophelia
2017-10-06 20:25:13 UTC

Post by tim...
If the bleeding obvious way isn't the right way, perhaps they would like to
tell us what is the correct way to do it, not bleat on about how we are not
complying with the rules.
It was quite interesting what the New Zealand guy said though, that
removing tariffs has improved their trade significantly.

==

Someone on tv recently (sorry can't remember his name) was saying that the
UK should not use any tariffs on any country, even they used them on ours,
and that was the way to grow fast.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
tim...
2017-10-07 10:04:06 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Someone on tv recently (sorry can't remember his name) was saying that the
UK should not use any tariffs on any country, even they used them on ours,
and that was the way to grow fast.
This is the nutcase UKIP policy

It is based upon the assumption that the other countries will reward us for
playing "fair"

in reality it will not work

it's as fictional a scenario as unilateral nuclear disarmament

tim
James Harris
2017-10-07 10:28:18 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Someone on tv recently (sorry can't remember his name) was saying that the
UK should not use any tariffs on any country, even they used them on ours,
and that was the way to grow fast.
This is the nutcase UKIP policy
It is based upon the assumption that the other countries will reward us for
playing "fair"
Is it? I thought the idea was to reduce the UK's costs - both personal
and business - so that UK economic activity was made as cheap and
profitable as possible. The big problem with it is it would require a
transformation of business focus to things like services, and
traditional manufacturing would be adversely impacted and possibly be
unable to compete.
James Harris
tim...
2017-10-07 10:37:13 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Someone on tv recently (sorry can't remember his name) was saying that the
UK should not use any tariffs on any country, even they used them on ours,
and that was the way to grow fast.
This is the nutcase UKIP policy
It is based upon the assumption that the other countries will reward us for
playing "fair"
Is it? I thought the idea was to reduce the UK's costs - both personal and
business - so that UK economic activity was made as cheap and profitable
as possible. The big problem with it is it would require a transformation
of business focus to things like services, and traditional manufacturing
would be adversely impacted and possibly be unable to compete.
I don't see how reducing tariffs on agriculture reduces costs to industry

and it is agricultural products that most of ROW wants to sell to us in
return for reducing tariffs on, whatever it is we want to sell to them

tim
James Harris
2017-10-07 12:29:50 UTC
Post by Ophelia
[...]
The "nutcase policy" you mentioned is not about agricultural products
per se but it would reduce the costs of almost everything in the country
at the expense of making it harder for traditional businesses to
compete. It's a radical idea and might work. Or it might not. ISTM a big
risk.
James Harris
Ophelia
2017-10-07 14:55:43 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Someone on tv recently (sorry can't remember his name) was saying that the
UK should not use any tariffs on any country, even they used them on ours,
and that was the way to grow fast.
This is the nutcase UKIP policy

It is based upon the assumption that the other countries will reward us for
playing "fair"

in reality it will not work

it's as fictional a scenario as unilateral nuclear disarmament

I agree about the unilateral nuclear disarmament, but the tariff thing
wasn't someone in UKIP.

Damn I wish I could remember who said it.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
tim...
2017-10-07 10:01:47 UTC
Just been watching The Daily Politics and Friday is always EU day.
Seems there has been a vote in the EU Parliament to decide if trade
talks between the UK and the EU should be delayed. The guest in the
studio, Labour MEP Mary Honeyball said she abstained along with other
Labour MEPs, while 2 Tory MEPs voted in favour of the motion to delay
the talks.
Seems these MEPs are South West MEP Julie Girling and South East MEP
Richard Ashworth.
Did you understand all that guff about the agricultural tariff rate quotas
agreement?
I understood what they were saying, yes. At least I think I did.
The EU allowed so much food to me imported from countries outside the EU
tariff free and when that is reached a tariff is applied to make it
unprofitable for the non-EU country to export further.
This is a process, allowed by WTO rules, that every country uses.
Post by Yellow
And it was described in the studio as an example of EU protectionist
behaviour, to protect farmers, at the expense of consumers who end up
playing more for good than they otherwise would.
as it is protectionist when the USA do the same thing

so that aspect is not the point.

the problem is that the EU is not a country and that importers can currently
choose for themselves which individual country to target to benefit from the
use of the quota

With the UK splitting off from the EU, the complaint is that if the EU/UK
decide how to split the quota then importers will loose the flexibility that
they now have.

But I don't see that continuing to have that flexibility by the sharing a
quota between two independent entities is ever going to be possible

so the only solution to this is to split the quota, and therefore if WTO
members don't like the proposed solution then the simple answer is for them
to suggest how it should be split - going off in huff and accusing us of
trying to pull a fast one is not the way to do this.

It's not like this issue has never occurred before, haven't WTO member
countries split in the past?
The WTO's arguments make no sense to me.
Which bit was that?
That it (the apparent attempt to shaft them) is our (the UK's) fault.
If the bleeding obvious way that has been suggested to resolve this isn't
advantageous to them (and they apparently have a veto if they don't like
it), why is this out fault?
Are you talking about the way they were discussing splitting this quota?
This, if I understood correctly meant, the UK would keep this
arrangement, of accepting a certain amount of food tariff free.
yep

that's all part of the WTO rules that we would have to abide by
Post by Yellow
I could not see how this could be in the interest of the non-EU
countries and I was also left unclear why the UK would want this
arrangement anyway.
because it's forced upon us (everybody) as part of being a member of the
WTO.
If the bleeding obvious way isn't the right way, perhaps they would like to
tell us what is the correct way to do it, not bleat on about how we are not
complying with the rules.
It was quite interesting what the New Zealand guy said though, that
removing tariffs has improved their trade significantly.
I thought he said that it had made their farming more efficient

tim
MM
2017-10-07 09:11:22 UTC
The WTO's arguments make no sense to me.
Well, that's a bit worrying, isn't it? For a Brexiter so determined to
leave, but not knowing what the consequences might be.

MM
j***@gmail.com
2017-10-06 14:51:52 UTC
I tried watching it when did the BBC start asking for DOB
Mike Swift
2017-10-06 15:16:05 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
I tried watching it when did the BBC start asking for DOB
Not seen that one yet, it's the same with the 'do you have a licence?',
why yes of course I do, and the date of birth when visiting a whisky
distillery site, a pointless question.

Mike
Yorkshire Halvard Lange
Ophelia
2017-10-06 20:19:54 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
I tried watching it when did the BBC start asking for DOB
Not seen that one yet, it's the same with the 'do you have a licence?',
why yes of course I do, and the date of birth when visiting a whisky
distillery site, a pointless question.

Mike

==

It's your boyish looks, Mike:)
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Mike Swift
2017-10-06 22:47:28 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
I tried watching it when did the BBC start asking for DOB
Not seen that one yet, it's the same with the 'do you have a licence?', why
yes of course I do, and the date of birth when visiting a whisky distillery site,
a pointless question.
Mike
==
It's your boyish looks, Mike:)
LOL, I did a bit of under age drinking in my youth, I was never asked my
age but my mates who were at least nine months older than me were, must
have an honest face :-)

Mike
Yorkshire Halvard Lange
Ophelia

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Yellow
2017-10-06 18:19:00 UTC
They do if they consider a programme to be "guidance" rated.
tim...
2017-10-07 10:08:04 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
I tried watching it when did the BBC start asking for DOB
well at least you can simply decline to answer and still get to see the
program

try getting a channel 4 program on catch up without jumping through all
their registration hoops

(The reason that this is an issue is that if you try to access this
programming via a smart TV you get to a registration page with no way of
registering except using a different device to do so - and people think that
this is the future of Broadcasting - fantasy land more like!)

tim
MM
2017-10-07 09:09:52 UTC
Just been watching The Daily Politics and Friday is always EU day.
Seems there has been a vote in the EU Parliament to decide if trade
talks between the UK and the EU should be delayed. The guest in the
studio, Labour MEP Mary Honeyball said she abstained along with other
Labour MEPs, while 2 Tory MEPs voted in favour of the motion to delay
the talks.
Seems these MEPs are South West MEP Julie Girling and South East MEP
Richard Ashworth.
<Gob smacked>
They are two honest politicians who beieve in their convictions, not
what the Brexit Stasi tell them.

MM
Fredxxx
2017-10-07 10:09:02 UTC
Post by MM
Post by Yellow
Just been watching The Daily Politics and Friday is always EU day.
Seems there has been a vote in the EU Parliament to decide if trade
talks between the UK and the EU should be delayed. The guest in the
studio, Labour MEP Mary Honeyball said she abstained along with other
Labour MEPs, while 2 Tory MEPs voted in favour of the motion to delay
the talks.
Seems these MEPs are South West MEP Julie Girling and South East MEP
Richard Ashworth.
<Gob smacked>
They are two honest politicians who beieve in their convictions, not
what the Brexit Stasi tell them.
If two traitorous, collaborative MEPs are following their convictions
rather than the well-being of the UK they're not fit for office.
pamela
2017-10-07 11:07:31 UTC
Post by Fredxxx
On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 13:59:24 +0100, Yellow
Post by Yellow
Just been watching The Daily Politics and Friday is always EU day.
Seems there has been a vote in the EU Parliament to decide if
trade talks between the UK and the EU should be delayed. The
guest in the studio, Labour MEP Mary Honeyball said she
abstained along with other Labour MEPs, while 2 Tory MEPs
voted in favour of the motion to delay the talks.
Seems these MEPs are South West MEP Julie Girling and South
East MEP Richard Ashworth.
<Gob smacked>
They are two honest politicians who beieve in their
convictions, not what the Brexit Stasi tell them.
If two traitorous, collaborative MEPs
Such as Nigel Farage and (bruiser) Mike Hookem.
Strange you should say that.
Fredxxx
2017-10-07 12:25:17 UTC
Post by Yellow
Just been watching The Daily Politics and Friday is always EU day.
Seems there has been a vote in the EU Parliament to decide if
trade talks between the UK and the EU should be delayed. The
guest in the studio, Labour MEP Mary Honeyball said she
abstained along with other Labour MEPs, while 2 Tory MEPs
voted in favour of the motion to delay the talks.
Seems these MEPs are South West MEP Julie Girling and South
East MEP Richard Ashworth.
<Gob smacked>
They are two honest politicians who beieve in their
convictions, not what the Brexit Stasi tell them.
If two traitorous, collaborative MEPs
Such as Nigel Farage and (bruiser) Mike Hookem.
So MEPs with the UK interests at heart? Did they vote against the UK in
the recent vote?
Post by pamela
Post by Fredxxx
are following their convictions rather than the well-being of
the UK they're not fit for office.
Strange you should say that.
Quite, Farage was voted with foreknowledge of his intent. That can't be
said about Girling and Ashworth.

What is a shame is that you vote for a party in the MEP elections,
rather than an individual, but hey, more reason for Girling and Ashworth
to tow the party line.
pamela
2017-10-07 15:41:36 UTC
Post by Fredxxx
Post by Yellow
Just been watching The Daily Politics and Friday is always
EU day.
Seems there has been a vote in the EU Parliament to decide
if trade talks between the UK and the EU should be delayed.
The guest in the studio, Labour MEP Mary Honeyball said she
abstained along with other Labour MEPs, while 2 Tory MEPs
voted in favour of the motion to delay the talks.
Seems these MEPs are South West MEP Julie Girling and South
East MEP Richard Ashworth.
<Gob smacked>
They are two honest politicians who beieve in their
convictions, not what the Brexit Stasi tell them.
If two traitorous, collaborative MEPs
Such as Nigel Farage and (bruiser) Mike Hookem.
So MEPs with the UK interests at heart? Did they vote against
the UK in the recent vote?
IMHO Farage and his UKIP colleagues disregarded the UK's interest
by lobbying for Brexit which we are now all starting to see is far
from capable of achieving its promised goals.
Post by Fredxxx
Post by pamela
Post by Fredxxx
are following their convictions rather than the well-being of
the UK they're not fit for office.
Strange you should say that.
Quite, Farage was voted with foreknowledge of his intent. That
can't be said about Girling and Ashworth.
What is a shame is that you vote for a party in the MEP
elections, rather than an individual, but hey, more reason for
Girling and Ashworth to tow the party line.
Worse still is how the big European countries have have the number
of MEPs per capita compared to the smaller countries.

And countries like Luxembourg are much more over-represented than
that.
tim...
2017-10-07 15:52:01 UTC
Post by pamela
Post by Fredxxx
Post by Yellow
[...]
um as the goal is to outside the EU

no, it isn't

tim
Vidcapper
2017-10-07 11:15:46 UTC
Post by MM
Post by Yellow
Just been watching The Daily Politics and Friday is always EU day.
Seems there has been a vote in the EU Parliament to decide if trade
talks between the UK and the EU should be delayed. The guest in the
studio, Labour MEP Mary Honeyball said she abstained along with other
Labour MEPs, while 2 Tory MEPs voted in favour of the motion to delay
the talks.
Seems these MEPs are South West MEP Julie Girling and South East MEP
Richard Ashworth.
<Gob smacked>
They are two honest politicians who beieve in their convictions, not
what the Brexit Stasi tell them.
But what do they gain by voting to delay talks, other than increasing
the likelihood of a hard brexit?
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
tim...
2017-10-07 15:51:06 UTC
Post by MM
Post by Yellow
Just been watching The Daily Politics and Friday is always EU day.
Seems there has been a vote in the EU Parliament to decide if trade
talks between the UK and the EU should be delayed. The guest in the
studio, Labour MEP Mary Honeyball said she abstained along with other
Labour MEPs, while 2 Tory MEPs voted in favour of the motion to delay
the talks.
Seems these MEPs are South West MEP Julie Girling and South East MEP
Richard Ashworth.
<Gob smacked>
They are two honest politicians who beieve in their convictions, not
what the Brexit Stasi tell them.
But what do they gain by voting to delay talks, other than increasing the
likelihood of a hard brexit?
in the minds of Remoaners it increases the likelihood of us staying in

I have still yet to have it explained to me how that one plays out in
Parliament - the do nothing option by HMG is for us to leave automatically
with no deal, not to remain in.

2017-10-07 17:22:04 UTC
Post by MM
Post by Yellow
[...]
It puzzles me too. March 2019 we are out, regardless of anything else.

It is a question that needs to get asked on one of the political shows,
just to see what the remoaners answer is.

Have they got anything up their sleeve? Or it it just about disrupting
the process as much as possible in case something turns up that can be
used to stop the UK from leaving?
Fredxxx
2017-10-07 20:04:08 UTC
On 07/10/2017 18:22, Yellow wrote:

<snip>
Post by Yellow
Or it it just about disrupting
the process as much as possible in case something turns up that can be
used to stop the UK from leaving?
I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Anyone with a bit of noddle would realise that any shenanigans can only
help the opposing side.

Of course there are some like MM make no secret of their heritage and
interest.
pamela
What is MM's heritage which you refer to?
Vidcapper
2017-10-08 15:27:24 UTC
Post by pamela
Post by Fredxxx
<snip>
Post by Yellow
Or it it just about disrupting
the process as much as possible in case something turns up that
can be used to stop the UK from leaving?
I think you have hit the nail on the head.
Anyone with a bit of noddle would realise that any shenanigans
can only help the opposing side.
Of course there are some like MM make no secret of their
heritage and interest.
What is MM's heritage which you refer to?
Lord Haw Haw, perhaps? ;p
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
MM
2017-10-09 11:02:30 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by pamela
Post by Fredxxx
<snip>
Post by Yellow
Or it it just about disrupting
the process as much as possible in case something turns up that
can be used to stop the UK from leaving?
I think you have hit the nail on the head.
Anyone with a bit of noddle would realise that any shenanigans
can only help the opposing side.
Of course there are some like MM make no secret of their
heritage and interest.
What is MM's heritage which you refer to?
Lord Haw Haw, perhaps? ;p
We were at war at the time. We're not now, thanks to the EU.

MM
MM
2017-10-09 11:00:38 UTC
Post by pamela
Post by Fredxxx
<snip>
Post by Yellow
Or it it just about disrupting
the process as much as possible in case something turns up that
can be used to stop the UK from leaving?
I think you have hit the nail on the head.
Anyone with a bit of noddle would realise that any shenanigans
can only help the opposing side.
Of course there are some like MM make no secret of their
heritage and interest.
What is MM's heritage which you refer to?
He pretends that because I worked in Germany as a guest worker in the
1970s, that makes me German.

MM
Fredxxx
You seem very proud to own a German license.
MM
2017-10-10 12:02:18 UTC
Post by Fredxxx
You seem very proud to own a German license.
I am indifferent. I had to apply for one, because the UK driving
licence in the 1970s could only be used for a limited time as a
concession to tourists.

MM