The Eu working well for us, or perhaops bot
2017-08-07 17:11:33 UTC
on the same newspaper as I find the story

Post-Brexit US trade deal may pave way for milk with cancer toxins:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/us-trade-deal-brexit-cancer-milk-aflatoxins-peanuts-a7877541.html

I find two stories down

Potentially contaminated eggs from Europe have entered the UK:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/eggs-europe-contamination-pesticide-fipronil-aldi-lidl-uk-consumers-food-standards-agency-a7881181.html

Working well to protect us now, isn't it?

tim
Dan S. MacAbre
2017-08-07 18:42:04 UTC
on the same newspaper as I find the story
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/us-trade-deal-brexit-cancer-milk-aflatoxins-peanuts-a7877541.html
I find two stories down
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/eggs-europe-contamination-pesticide-fipronil-aldi-lidl-uk-consumers-food-standards-agency-a7881181.html
Working well to protect us now, isn't it?
tim
What none of these mad articles ever explain is why the UK would allow
food in that the UK considers a risk. Or why the UK population, given it
is labelled, would eat it.
tim...
2017-08-08 07:14:57 UTC
on the same newspaper as I find the story
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/us-trade-deal-brexit-cancer-milk-aflatoxins-peanuts-a7877541.html
I find two stories down
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/eggs-europe-contamination-pesticide-fipronil-aldi-lidl-uk-consumers-food-standards-agency-a7881181.html
Working well to protect us now, isn't it?
tim
What none of these mad articles ever explain is why the UK would allow
food in that the UK considers a risk.
well that's because we are so desperate to agree a deal we will roll over
and ask to have our tummy tickled (apparently)
Post by Yellow
Or why the UK population, given it
is labelled, would eat it.
because part of the deal will be that stuff doesn't need to have labels of
origin

tim
kat
2017-08-08 07:21:48 UTC
Post by Yellow
Or why the UK population, given it
is labelled, would eat it.
because part of the deal will be that stuff doesn't need to have labels
of origin
But, unless it is made illegal to say where stuff comes from, all we
need to do it only buy things with a label from a place we trust!
--
kat
^..^<
tim...
2017-08-08 09:32:27 UTC
Post by Yellow
Or why the UK population, given it
is labelled, would eat it.
because part of the deal will be that stuff doesn't need to have labels
of origin
But, unless it is made illegal to say where stuff comes from, all we need
to do it only buy things with a label from a place we trust!
That's all very easy

until you are in the shop and have to choose between the 3.99 pack and the
1.99 pack

2017-08-08 12:33:33 UTC
But, unless it is made illegal to say where stuff comes from, all we need
to do it only buy things with a label from a place we trust!
That's all very easy
until you are in the shop and have to choose between the 3.99 pack and the
1.99 pack
How does that not make it easy? If I go into Tesco now, I have the
option to pay quite different amounts of money for some meat and
vegetables depending on where it comes from.

Mind you, you do have to look out for the "packed in UK" cop out, but
generally price tells you everything you need to know.
kat
2017-08-08 20:14:19 UTC
Post by Yellow
Or why the UK population, given it
is labelled, would eat it.
because part of the deal will be that stuff doesn't need to have
labels of origin
But, unless it is made illegal to say where stuff comes from, all we
need to do it only buy things with a label from a place we trust!
That's all very easy
until you are in the shop and have to choose between the 3.99 pack and
the 1.99 pack
Home grown has fewer transport costs so shouldn't cost twice as much.
But whatever, it comes down to personal choice doesn't it. Spend more
on food you consider safe or decide not to be worried about any risk.
Or reject both of those choices and get something else instead.
--
kat
^..^<
Yellow
2017-08-08 12:26:42 UTC
on the same newspaper as I find the story
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/us-trade-deal-brexit-cancer-milk-aflatoxins-peanuts-a7877541.html
I find two stories down
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/eggs-europe-contamination-pesticide-fipronil-aldi-lidl-uk-consumers-food-standards-agency-a7881181.html
Working well to protect us now, isn't it?
tim
What none of these mad articles ever explain is why the UK would allow
food in that the UK considers a risk.
well that's because we are so desperate to agree a deal we will roll over
and ask to have our tummy tickled (apparently)
There will be quite a rumpus if any deal the UK makes, with any country,
compromises food safety or animal welfare.
Or why the UK population, given it
is labelled, would eat it.
because part of the deal will be that stuff doesn't need to have labels of
origin
Why would the UK change the law so that the country of origin is hidden
if it comes in from the USA? Surely that would just confirm everyone's
worse fears.
tim...
because we are desperate for the deal (in tabloid world)
Yellow
2017-08-08 13:14:43 UTC
Or why the UK population, given it
is labelled, would eat it.
because part of the deal will be that stuff doesn't need to have labels of
origin
Why would the UK change the law so that the country of origin is hidden
if it comes in from the USA? Surely that would just confirm everyone's
worse fears.
because we are desperate for the deal (in tabloid world)
But it will be that every tabloid world that will go nuts if we agreed
to take food that the UK consider to be unsafe or if animal welfare is
compromised.

Remember horsemeat-gate for example? Mad cow? Live shipment of animals
through our ports? Whaling and the Icelandic product boycott? Salmonella
in eggs?
Handsome Jack
2017-08-08 17:13:13 UTC
Why would the UK change the law so that the country of origin is hidden
if it comes in from the USA? Surely that would just confirm everyone's
worse fears.
because we are desperate for the deal (in tabloid world)
But it will be that every tabloid world that will go nuts if we agreed
to take food that the UK consider to be unsafe or if animal welfare is
compromised.
One or other of the tabloids will go nuts whatever you do. Quite likely
they will go nuts about both. The Daily Mail's Claire Monger will be
screaming on page one about how there will be economic meltdown if we
can't sign a trade deal with America, while Glenda Slagg on page 20 will
be burbling that it would be evil to sign a trade deal with America
because they're chlorinating their poor darling fluffy little chickens.
Jack
Incubus
Look how popular KFC and McDonalds are. Some people will eat any old shit.
Yellow
2017-08-08 13:54:30 UTC
In article <omcev1$evm$***@dont-email.me>, ***@gmail.com
says...
Post by Incubus
on the same newspaper as I find the story
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/us-trade-deal-brexit-cancer-milk-aflatoxins-peanuts-a7877541.html
I find two stories down
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/eggs-europe-contamination-pesticide-fipronil-aldi-lidl-uk-consumers-food-standards-agency-a7881181.html
Working well to protect us now, isn't it?
tim
What none of these mad articles ever explain is why the UK would allow
food in that the UK considers a risk. Or why the UK population, given it
is labelled, would eat it.
Look how popular KFC and McDonalds are. Some people will eat any old shit.
As far as I am aware, neither KFC nor McDonalds are selling food that is
outside of our current animal welfare or food hygiene standards.