*OT* Daily dose of cannabis extract could reverse brain's decline in old age, study suggests
Add Reply
Bod
2017-05-12 14:32:54 UTC
Regular low doses of THC dramatically boosted memory and learning in
older mice, say scientists, who plan a clinical trial in humans later
this year.

“These results reveal a profound, long-lasting improvement of cognitive
performance resulting from a low dose of THC treatment in mature and old
animals,” the scientists write. The boost in brain function was linked
to an apparent restoration of gene expression in the brain to more
youthful levels.

The German team believes that the drug works by stimulating what is
known as the endocannabinoid system, a biochemical pathway that becomes
less active with age in mice, humans and other animals. “I’m sure that
what we are seeing are the long-term consequences of normalising the
system,” Bilkei-Gorzo said.

David Nutt, the former government drugs adviser and professor of
neuropsychopharmacology at Imperial College London, said he was not
surprised at the potential for THC to improve memory in old age. “The
key question now is does the same apply to humans? Clearly this needs to
be tested, but it will not be possible in the UK due to the ridiculous
restrictions on cannabis research occasioned by its being a schedule 1
drug.”

Michael Bloomfield, a clinical lecturer in psychiatry at University
College London said: “What is particularly exciting about this research
is that it opens up a whole new chemical system, the endocannabinoid
system, as a potential target for new avenues of research, which could
include illnesses like dementia.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/may/08/daily-dose-of-cannabis-extract-could-reverse-brains-decline-in-old-age-study-suggests-thc?CMP=share_btn_fb
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-05-12 14:42:33 UTC
Post by Bod
Regular low doses of THC dramatically boosted memory and learning in
older mice, say scientists, who plan a clinical trial in humans later
this year.
=E2=80=9CThese results reveal a profound, long-lasting improvement of =
cognitive
Post by Bod
performance resulting from a low dose of THC treatment in mature and o=
ld
Post by Bod
animals,=E2=80=9D the scientists write. The boost in brain function wa=
s linked
Post by Bod
to an apparent restoration of gene expression in the brain to more
youthful levels.
The German team believes that the drug works by stimulating what is
known as the endocannabinoid system, a biochemical pathway that become=
Post by Bod
less active with age in mice, humans and other animals. =E2=80=9CI=E2=80=
=99m sure that
Post by Bod
what we are seeing are the long-term consequences of normalising the
system,=E2=80=9D Bilkei-Gorzo said.
David Nutt, the former government drugs adviser and professor of
neuropsychopharmacology at Imperial College London, said he was not
surprised at the potential for THC to improve memory in old age. =E2=80=
=9CThe
Post by Bod
be tested, but it will not be possible in the UK due to the ridiculous=
restrictions on cannabis research occasioned by its being a schedule 1=
drug.=E2=80=9D
Michael Bloomfield, a clinical lecturer in psychiatry at University
College London said: =E2=80=9CWhat is particularly exciting about this=
research
Post by Bod
is that it opens up a whole new chemical system, the endocannabinoid
system, as a potential target for new avenues of research, which could=
include illnesses like dementia.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/may/08/daily-dose-of-cannabis=
-extract-could-reverse-brains-decline-in-old-age-study-suggests-thc?CMP=3D=
share_btn_fb

"ridiculous restrictions on cannabis research" - I like it.

Maybe one day we'll get out of the dark ages. This is like prohibition =
in the USA....

-- =

Sex is one of the most wholesome, beautiful and natural experiences that=
money can buy.
The Peeler
2017-05-12 15:27:13 UTC
On Fri, 12 May 2017 15:42:33 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
Post by Bod
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/may/08/daily-dose-of-cannabis-ex
tract-could-reverse-brains-decline-in-old-age-study-suggests-thc?CMP=shar
e_btn_fb
"ridiculous restrictions on cannabis research" - I like it.
Maybe one day we'll get out of the dark ages. This is like prohibition in the USA....
Your character and your idiocy prove, most convincingly, that it should stay
forever illegal!
--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange sociopathic
world: