OT..... UK attracting record number of tourists
Add Reply
Bod
2017-10-10 08:37:13 UTC
British Tourist Authority chairman Steve Ridgway said tourism was worth
£127bn annually to the economy.

He called the sector an "economic powerhouse" and a "job creator right
across Britain".

"Two-and-a-half times bigger than the automotive industry, employing
three million, tourism is one of our most successful exports and needs
no trade deals to compete globally."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41564655
Bod
James Harris
2017-10-10 08:58:49 UTC
Post by Bod
British Tourist Authority chairman Steve Ridgway said tourism was worth
£127bn annually to the economy.
He called the sector an "economic powerhouse" and a "job creator right
across Britain".
"Two-and-a-half times bigger than the automotive industry, employing
three million, tourism is one of our most successful exports and needs
no trade deals to compete globally."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41564655
Cool.

In terms of value I would probably go with the £25bn figure for direct
spending but the story is good to see. As is the comment "Britons are
also holidaying at home in record numbers." All boosting the economy.

Good to see the pragmatism in "Tourism is a fiercely competitive global
industry and you cannot just build a strong, resilient industry on a
weaker currency. We must continue to invest in developing world-class
tourism products, getting Britain on the wish-list of international and
domestic travellers and we must make it easy for visitors to make that
trip."
James Harris
Bod
2017-10-10 09:11:27 UTC
Post by James Harris
Post by Bod
[...]
Yup, that all makes sense.
Bod
tim...
2017-10-10 09:36:52 UTC
Post by Bod
British Tourist Authority chairman Steve Ridgway said tourism was worth
£127bn annually to the economy.
He called the sector an "economic powerhouse" and a "job creator right
across Britain".
"Two-and-a-half times bigger than the automotive industry, employing three
million, tourism is one of our most successful exports and needs no trade
deals to compete globally."
but not one that is infinitely expandable

Some might argue that we had reached peak capacity already

tim
Bod
2017-10-10 09:45:51 UTC
Post by Bod
British Tourist Authority chairman Steve Ridgway said tourism was
worth £127bn annually to the economy.
He called the sector an "economic powerhouse" and a "job creator right
across Britain".
"Two-and-a-half times bigger than the automotive industry, employing
three million, tourism is one of our most successful exports and needs
no trade deals to compete globally."
but not one that is infinitely expandable
Some might argue that we had reached peak capacity already
tim
Whilst the pound is weak I can see tourism expanding even more in the
near future.
Bod
GB
2017-10-10 10:48:47 UTC
Post by Bod
Whilst the pound is weak I can see tourism expanding even more in the
near future.
That's part of the story. The other part is that a lot of overseas
holiday destinations have become rather unsafe. Plus the inconvenience
of spending a day travelling at each end of your holiday.
Bod
2017-10-10 10:55:14 UTC
Post by GB
Post by Bod
Whilst the pound is weak I can see tourism expanding even more in the
near future.
That's part of the story. The other part is that a lot of overseas
holiday destinations have become rather unsafe. Plus the inconvenience
of spending a day travelling at each end of your holiday.
Also there is the worry of Airlines like Monarch collapsing and the
Ryanair cancellations.
Bod
GB
2017-10-10 11:11:35 UTC
Post by Bod
Post by GB
Post by Bod
Whilst the pound is weak I can see tourism expanding even more in the
near future.
That's part of the story. The other part is that a lot of overseas
holiday destinations have become rather unsafe. Plus the inconvenience
of spending a day travelling at each end of your holiday.
Also there is the worry of Airlines like Monarch collapsing and the
Ryanair cancellations.
We take nearly all our holidays in the UK. We like walking, so the
cooler weather here is a positive for us.
Bod
2017-10-10 11:13:35 UTC
Post by GB
Post by Bod
Post by GB
Post by Bod
Whilst the pound is weak I can see tourism expanding even more in
the near future.
That's part of the story. The other part is that a lot of overseas
holiday destinations have become rather unsafe. Plus the
inconvenience of spending a day travelling at each end of your holiday.
Also there is the worry of Airlines like Monarch collapsing and the
Ryanair cancellations.
We take nearly all our holidays in the UK. We like walking, so the
cooler weather here is a positive for us.
The last holiday abroad for us was 10 years ago to the USA, since then
we've holidayed in the UK also.
Bod
Farmer Giles
2017-10-10 11:19:17 UTC
Post by Bod
British Tourist Authority chairman Steve Ridgway said tourism was worth
£127bn annually to the economy.
He called the sector an "economic powerhouse" and a "job creator right
across Britain".
"Two-and-a-half times bigger than the automotive industry, employing
three million, tourism is one of our most successful exports and needs
no trade deals to compete globally."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41564655
All very well, but are they going home afterwards..!

Bod