German Ifo think tank chief says Italy risks quitting euro zone
Bod
2017-01-10 09:30:55 UTC
*The beginning of the end of the Eurozone*?

The head of Germany's Ifo economic institute believes Italians will
eventually want to quit the euro currency area if their standard of
living does not improve, he told German daily Tagesspiegel.

"The standard of living in Italy is at the same level as in 2000. If
that does not change, the Italians will at some stage say: 'We don't
want this euro zone any more'," Ifo chief Clemens Fuest told the newspaper.

He also said that if Germany's parliament were to approve a European
rescue programme for Italy, it would impose on German taxpayers risks
"the size of which it does not know and cannot control." He said German
lawmakers should not agree to do this.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-eurozone-italy-germany-idUKKBN14L1BB?il=0
pensive hamster
2017-01-10 13:00:07 UTC
Post by Bod
*The beginning of the end of the Eurozone*?
The head of Germany's Ifo economic institute believes Italians will
eventually want to quit the euro currency area if their standard of
living does not improve, he told German daily Tagesspiegel.
"The standard of living in Italy is at the same level as in 2000.
The standard of living being stagnant or falling is a pretty similar
situation in the UK, and we are not in the euro zone. So it is
not clear that being in or out of the the euro zone, by itself,
makes much difference.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/real-wages-and-living-standards/
'Real wages and living standards: the latest UK evidence

'... Since the global financial crisis, UK wages have fallen by more
than in other OECD countries. Figure 3 uses comparable hourly
earnings data for 2008 to 2013 for 26 countries. The UK’s relative
performance is very poor, placing 23rd above only Hungary, the
Czech Republic and Greece.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38558116
Have baby boomers stolen the family silver?
harry
2017-01-11 11:04:32 UTC
Post by pensive hamster
Post by Bod
[...]
It was the "baby boomers" created the wealth of the country and everything you see around you.

Later generations have been idle gits by and large.
Content to take advantage of earlier generations hard work.
harry
2017-01-11 11:08:20 UTC
Post by Bod
*The beginning of the end of the Eurozone*?
The head of Germany's Ifo economic institute believes Italians will
eventually want to quit the euro currency area if their standard of
living does not improve, he told German daily Tagesspiegel.
"The standard of living in Italy is at the same level as in 2000. If
that does not change, the Italians will at some stage say: 'We don't
want this euro zone any more'," Ifo chief Clemens Fuest told the newspaper.
He also said that if Germany's parliament were to approve a European
rescue programme for Italy, it would impose on German taxpayers risks
"the size of which it does not know and cannot control." He said German
lawmakers should not agree to do this.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-eurozone-italy-germany-idUKKBN14L1BB?il=0
Post war, things improved in the UK until we joined the Common Market.
Things have just got worse since that time.
Thanks to the idiots in Brussels.